The first beer that you loved

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by thedaveofbeer, Jun 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,148) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Might be TMI:
    Stroh's in the mid-'80s (high school, and it was "fire-brewed" after all)
    Sam Adams Boston Lager in the late-'80s
    SNPA in the early '90's

IDABEERGUY, cducap and IceAce like this.
  2. deleted_user_1111368

deleted_user_1111368 Meyvn (1,115) Feb 21, 2016 Delaware
    Society Trader

Being a little older, I am going to go with 2 stages:

Young adult - Coors Light. It relieved me from the AB, all day hangover/headaches.

Older adult - Young's Double Chocolate Stout. This is the only beer, that half-way through I stood up, smiled.. and said "THIS IS IT!"

3. JohnnieB71

JohnnieB71 Initiate (75) May 7, 2016 New York

For me it was Samuel Adams Boston Lager in the 80's.It was the first craft beer I ever had and I remember learning that day, that beer was something to enjoy.

IDABEERGUY likes this.
  4. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (2,322) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society

As I delved into the craft scene about 2 1/2 years ago, my first favorite was Foothills Hoppyum...

5. Wetpaperbag

Wetpaperbag Crusader (795) Aug 14, 2007 Washington

This is tough because I've throughly enjoyed a number of beers over the years that I would call my 'go to' brew. But the first one that I really enjoyed and went back to each time it was available was Winternacht by Widmer. I started drinking it back in college and wish they still had it available, it was a tasty brew.

6. BenwayPHD

BenwayPHD Aspirant (297) Sep 4, 2014 California

When I was 17, I went to a college party with my older brother. Up to this point in my life, I had only ever had the typical AAL beers. My brother bought me a 12 pack of Sam Adams Boston Lager, and I couldn't believe how good it was. For the next year, whenever I wanted to pick up something fancy, Boston Laget was my choice. It is no longer one of my favorite beers, but it will always have a special place in my heart for introducing me to beer with flavor.

IDABEERGUY likes this.
  7. Mitchellm

Mitchellm Initiate (79) Jun 5, 2016 California
    Trader

as a teen i really liked killians red as much for the malty taste as the cheap price. but my 1st favorite beer as an adult has to be Samuel Smiths winter welcome ale, and it remains a staple in my weekly beer diet. even tho it changes a little bit every year and seems to have gotten a little sweeter over the years. It has been a part of my life for nearly 25 years and will remain so. Cheers [​IMG]

BPackert, Squire and LuskusDelph like this.
  8. hophead7117

hophead7117 Initiate (150) Jul 18, 2015 Massachusetts

SNPA was one that really stood out years ago. Also, DFH 90 min was an instant favorite the first time I had it.

9. Jraiona

Jraiona Initiate (137) Mar 7, 2016 Kentucky

The very first beer I ever had was Piels. That and Miller was what my dad drank (and I swiped when he wasn't looking). The first craft beer I had, though I wasn't familiar with the term at the time, was Sam Adams and it is still a favorite to this day.

10. shadyside

shadyside Disciple (363) Feb 27, 2011 Georgia

11. monkeybeerbelly

monkeybeerbelly Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012 New York

franziskaner hefeweizen.

i thought it was the best beer in the world.

still enjoy it, but its not quite in the list of best beers in the world

VABA likes this.
  12. ChrisSchlosser

ChrisSchlosser Disciple (335) Nov 15, 2013 Ohio

Fat Head's Bumbleberry. First time I knew that I liked craft beer. Wish I would have discovered it sooner.

13. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,481) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

BJ's Tatonka Stout, on draft (nitro?) at the brewpub across the street from my apartment. It was my go-to when I first got into craft beer in 2000.

14. Riff

Riff Champion (875) May 12, 2016 Virginia

Younger adult was Yuengling, which I'll still have on occasion.

First beer that really got me into craft was Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager

Pantalones likes this.
  15. Brewcrazy

Brewcrazy Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2016 Pennsylvania

The first beer I actually enjoyed was by Triumph Brewery. It was their flagship Amber Ale...the rest is history:slight_smile:

16. cducap

cducap Aspirant (209) Mar 27, 2011 Indiana
    Trader

Red Hook ESB in the early 90's.

deanzaZZR and jlharman like this.
  17. greshdoghophead

greshdoghophead Initiate (179) Feb 25, 2009 Ohio

Deschutes Black Butte Porter out west. McEwan's Scotch ale in Ohio. Circa 1999

18. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Devotee (470) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado

I'd say the first one I really loved and blew my mind was Maudite from Unibroue- the malt/yeast combo is still amazing and I love how unique this one is. I dropped two of these on my porch a while back ago and nearly cried....

19. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,401) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Ballantine XXX

20. jdoncbus

jdoncbus Disciple (383) Jun 17, 2006 Ohio

I recall loving Mackeson Triple Stout back in the '90s, as well as Guiness & Pete's Wicked Ale. But the beers that made me crazy for hoppy beers were Goose Island IPA and Lagunitas Maximus.

scottakelly likes this.
  21. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (3,176) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

Pete's Wicked Ale was one of my early craft favorites back in the early 90s along with Goose Island Honkers Ale.

22. ablemedic49

ablemedic49 Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2016 Virginia

Hah, sounds similar to my first experiences. Except I was in high school when I had my first beers. Man I thought I was so cool drinking Keystones and Natty light. I joined the Army right out of highschool though, and thats where my experience really went next level. My first duty station was Fort Lewis, so close to Seattle and Portland. I got turned onto all kinda of delicious beers. The first one I remember liking was Fat Tire. A lot of the higher gravity and hoppier beers I tried I didn't quite enjoy yet though. My wife is actually the one who turned me onto Rogue's Dead Guy Ale. At first I didn't like it but it really grew on me. I love the complexity of flavors in really happy beers now. But I'm not a maniac for hoppy beers though, I still appreciate lagers and stouts etc.

Cheers,

Logan

JDbudget87 likes this.
  23. Golfer3Aces

Golfer3Aces Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2014 Wyoming

Arrogant Bastard was probably the one that I couldn't get enough of. It was easy to get, fairly cheap for a bomber. It really showed me what the possibilities of beer could be. I got a second love for Abrasive Ale, that stuff give me beer wood.

24. FightinIrish88

FightinIrish88 Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2014 New Jersey

Victory Headwaters

Whey2Hoppy likes this.
  25. mrchrisray

mrchrisray Disciple (355) May 14, 2013 Ohio

Grant's Perfect Porter.

26. Mark-Leggett

Mark-Leggett Meyvn (1,339) Jul 30, 2014 Missouri
    Society

Sam Adams Oktoberfest

27. rfgetz

rfgetz Poo-Bah (2,676) Nov 14, 2008 New Jersey
    Society

Founders Breakfast Stout... and i still love it to this day.

NizzleEGizzle and StoutElk_92 like this.
  28. NizzleEGizzle

NizzleEGizzle Disciple (352) Feb 25, 2015 New York
    Trader

Good thread OP.

I knew that I liked IPAs, and would go to my local shop and trust the owner to pick out a mixed six for me -- learning what beers I liked by trial and error.

Sculpin and Flower Power were the two that really stuck with me. Their juiciness was what defined beer for me for a year at least -- always seeking out the hoppiest option.

29. NizzleEGizzle

NizzleEGizzle Disciple (352) Feb 25, 2015 New York
    Trader

This was definitely my stout awakening.

30. MilaMila

MilaMila Aspirant (209) Dec 11, 2015 Massachusetts

DogFish 60minute. This beer started my exploring craft beer habits!

31. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

First beer I loved was Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.

BPackert likes this.
  32. twizzard

twizzard Defender (655) May 11, 2013 New York
    Trader

My first beer ever..With my dad, grandfather & great uncle..I was in 7th grade.......after a day of fishing in Henderson harbor on Lake Ontario we moored in a little cove for a shore dinner of fresh caught bass & perch. May dad gave me my first beer, a Shlitz....And I drank it like a grown up with the 3 men I admired most. You can never go back.....

Shermski likes this.
  33. beerluvr

beerluvr Meyvn (1,222) Jan 2, 2001 Canada (ON)

Molson Golden Ale. This was in the late 70's mind you. :grinning:

34. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (873) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Trader

Guinness. I didn't like the bland water beers that AB makes. Say what you will about Guinness, but it's a hell of a lot more flavorful than that shit.

I still like a pint now and then, but nowhere near as much as I did in college.

35. trc180

trc180 Initiate (31) Dec 1, 2003 Kentucky

Watney's Cream Stout, an English beer ....which is not brewed anymore, I understand.

I had it in Massachsetts (maybe in 1991), while staying at a B&B with my wife while we were visiting her aunt.

The beer was a real eye opener, in that it showed me that beer could be something more than Macro lager.

I drank it almost exclusively for a year or so, but then moved on to other craft beers available in central Illinois, circa 1993, e. g., SNPA, Samuel Smith ales, and Guinness in a can (with its vaunted nitro widget...... woohoo!!! ).

36. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,322) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Molson Golden, back in the '70's. Another was John Courage. I remember ordering a case of it in college from the local distributor and picking it up right after my last final exam.

TongoRad likes this.
  37. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Meyvn (1,266) Aug 13, 2010 Indiana

Founders Breakfast Stout. Such amazing coffee and chocolatey goodness for a 21 year old college kid.

Harrison8 likes this.
  38. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,084) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

The two beers that I credit for really getting me into craft beer and that I still think incredibly fond of are:

- Mikkeller's Beer Geek Brunch
    - Boulevard's Imperial Stout X Coffee Ale

While I've had numerous beers since then that would crush the above two in ratings, those were the first two beers that gave me a sense of what an imperial stout, and beer in general, could really taste and feel like. Plus, the coffee notes in both were absolutely delightful - and that's what I wanted out of my beer. They were also the first beers I specifically paired with food, which heightened the experience. The meals were the same for the two of them, scrambled eggs, pancakes, and local, thick cut bacon. The only difference being the beer and the flavor of bacon I used (if I recall one was a "sweet and sassy", and the other was "jalapeno" cured bacon). So delightful. I want them to bring that Boulevard back.

39. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,670) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

That was my go-to cask beer (my first) at a pub I frequented in Camberwell about 15 years ago. Upon returning to the states I cracked open my first Speckled Hen bottle and was sorely disappointed.

40. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,670) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

First beer I seemingly loved was Killian's Red. From there it was a short hop to Guinness, where I remained for a few years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.