The Gose Thread

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by mindswoop, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindswoop

mindswoop Initiate (100) Dec 22, 2011 Texas

The weather is warming up and it's starting to be perfect weather for some gose! Which ones have you had and which do you enjoy the best.

I thought the Real Ale one was too much lime and malt. I dig the tartness and briny dry finish of the AV Blood Orange Gose.

nsheehan and donspublic like this.
  2. ElChuques

ElChuques Initiate (92) Oct 8, 2014 Arkansas

Boulevard Hibiscus Gose is excellent. The hibiscus gives it a hint of a raspberry vibe. Definitely great for warm weather.

Maich, donspublic and ONovoMexicano like this.
  3. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

I agree with you on the Real Ale version, almost tasted like a Lime-a-rita or something. But I'm looking forward to revisiting soon.

AV The Kimmie is so damn good, so that will be a go-to for me over the summer. I'll throw the Blood Orange version in from time to time for variation.

When in NYC, I'll try to drink as much Ritterguts as possible, and will certainly have a few WB Goses.

I'm hoping to see a lot more breweries take a hack at this style this summer though.

Geuzedad and ElChuques like this.
  4. ONovoMexicano

Oh yes. This is enjoyable too, although a little light on the salt.

5. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,809) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Wait, there is a Boulevard Gose? Where have I been? Not the same style, but heard that Live Oak is going to make a Berliner, though I have no idea when that will be released, and it is just a rumor.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  6. GoPokes

GoPokes Initiate (94) Nov 9, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Their website confirms that they're making one and says it should be out in April. So excited.

http://liveoakbrewing.com/beer-by-season/

champ103 and ONovoMexicano like this.
  7. ONovoMexicano

I'm eager to see more Berliners too! And given what I've heard about Live Oak, I bet you they'd make an excellent one. Looking forward to the hefe here in a few weeks.

champ103 likes this.
  8. ONovoMexicano

Damn. Hope that means the first week in April. I'd love to try it. I'd also love to try the Roggenbier (never had the style before) if it's still around at the end of this month.

9. ONovoMexicano

Another one to put on people's radars: Destihil's Wild Series Gose. I haven't had it yet, but I've had other goses from them and enjoyed.

10. ElChuques

I tried Rapp gose when I was in Tampa last summer. It was probably the best I've had.

11. kmello69

kmello69 Zealot (529) Nov 27, 2011 Texas

For me, Westbrook is the best, especially when fresh. Nothing else comes close.

The AV Blood Orange is great for the citrus punch, but the Kimmie is more tart and more salty, so pick your poison (both excellent)

DeGarde Hose and Nelson Hose are both amazing. And if it gets made again, Gose Gone Wild too.

I have a growler of Rapp waiting for me to drink it - will report back on that one soon.

12. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

This x 1000.

TxUltraRunner and kmello69 like this.
  13. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,809) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Hey, they have updated their website for once. I have been so use to outdated info their that I stopped checking a long time ago.

14. ElChuques

I take it back; that Rapp is disgusting. Send it down here so I can dispose of it in accordance with my hazmat training.

I liked Westbrook a lot, but it's kind of like a DIPA to me. Sometimes I don't want my flavor cranked to 11.

ONovoMexicano and jamescain like this.
  15. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2012 Texas

Martin House's gose, The Salty Lady, is back. This year's feels more grapefruit forward than last year's (I remember it being more lemon forward). They did a limited draft only run recently with part going into white wine barrels for release later this summer with a third brewing going into cans.

16. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

My trading partner loved Real Ale Gose. I thought it tasted like Bud Light Lime. Hopefully they tweak the recipe.

ONovoMexicano and mindswoop like this.
  17. JeremyDanner

JeremyDanner Initiate (140) Dec 20, 2005 Missouri

You'll see Hibiscus Gose return in six packs and on draft in May:

http://www.boulevard.com/BoulevardBeers/hibiscus-gose/

18. Cowboys9

Cowboys9 Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2009 Texas

Martin House Salty Lady and AV Gose are good but Westbrook Gose reigns supreme. Really hoping Prairie decides to kick up their lime gose and bottle it.

19. blastoderm55

blastoderm55 Disciple (343) Jun 7, 2013 Texas
    Trader

I had Comes and Gose by Odell last night and really enjoyed it. I've only had it and Real Ale's gose, so I'm still very new to the style.

20. elbrooksie

elbrooksie Aspirant (219) Jan 10, 2013 Texas
    Trader

I used to think Westbrooks Gose was the best, until I tasted Nelson Hose and Gose Gone Wild... but of what we can get here, the Boulevard Hibiscus Gose is quite good, albeit different from a traditional Gose, and so is the blood orange Gose...would happily drink either one of those ( after I ran out of Westbrook lol)

21. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Aspirant (277) Aug 16, 2012 Texas
    Trader

I can't be the only one who enjoyed RA Gose. @TimSpies, where you at? How many cases did you drink?
    Currently drinking Anderson Blood Orange. Since we don't get Westbrook and I don't trade, I will wait for the next RA Gose release.
    Not a gose, but I cracked a Yo Soy and enjoyed it very much.

tx_beer_man likes this.
  22. Heretic42

Heretic42 Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2011 Texas

I really enjoyed RA Gose, but I can understand those that didn't like the lime aspect. It's definitely not one of the more traditional interpretations of the style and for me, wouldn't take the place of a more traditional Gose if that's what I was in the mood for.

23. saint0r

saint0r Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2013 Texas

I liked the RA Gose, but Blood Orange is my new crush.

cultclassic89 likes this.
  24. turfy

turfy Aspirant (251) Mar 17, 2010 Texas
    Trader

Had my first Anderson Blood Orange this evening....very, very good!

25. PatrickInAustinTx

PatrickInAustinTx Devotee (405) Nov 16, 2013 Texas
    Trader

This. Closest I have had to Westbrooks and dare I say..... better for my taste. What has always been lacking with gose beers that Westbrook has had IMO was the mouthfeel and balance. Destihl has that handled.

DESTIHLbrewery and ONovoMexicano like this.
  26. urethrafranklin13

urethrafranklin13 Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2014 Michigan

evil twin has a gose coming soon, brewed at westbrook i would assume. cant wait!

chrismann65 likes this.
  27. ONovoMexicano

Odell has a gose out for wide release? I had a version at the brewery but didn't know of anything getting distro.

chrismann65 likes this.
  28. blastoderm55

blastoderm55 Disciple (343) Jun 7, 2013 Texas
    Trader

I had it on draft at World of Beer in Sugar Land (Texas). Haven't seen it in bottles yet.

29. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Initiate (187) Jan 22, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Had blood orange session in the spa today and got a few head dips in the cold ass pool. 70-something is warm enough!! Fuckin love that beer.

30. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2010 Arizona

I like all of Destihl's Wild Series. And their Saint Dekkera Series of barrel aged sours are phenomenal.

DESTIHLbrewery likes this.
  31. willandperry

willandperry Initiate (137) Sep 15, 2011 Colorado

It's awesome. Like a more complex Westbrook gose

32. kmello69

kmello69 Zealot (529) Nov 27, 2011 Texas

I was at Pinthouse Pizza today, and saw that they will be tapping a gose of their own on 4/15. I'll be there and let you know how it is!

33. F_Amor

F_Amor Initiate (60) Aug 12, 2015 Texas

I first had The Salty Lady about 6-8 months ago. I'd never had a gose before and the saltiness was very off-putting. After talking to one of the Martin House guys a few months later I decided to give it another try. I like it, but it doesn't seem nearly as salty. Anyone else think they've dialed back the saltiness?

34. ONovoMexicano

Glad you revived this thread. Funny how much can change in less than a year. Goses are everywherer now. I will say I loved Otra Vez on tap, but need to revisit in bottles.

Reading back on this thread, @kmello69 I tasted that Pinthouse gose you mention above last June, I think, but it was on cask and they added Cap 'n' Crunch which completely ruined it.

I also tasted the Destihl Gose discussed above and which I had suggested and was not a fan. Ditto a great number of DeGarde Goses (Hoses). Between these and Westbrook's, I think you have great examples of acidic bombs that satisfy some palates' desire for the extreme. I'm not one of them.

I like the subtletly of the gose style and the easy-drinking quality and think a lot of folks overlook these looking for a punch in the face.

Last summer I tried about 20 different goses and even hashtagged the hell out of it using #notadaygoseby (which I thought was clever at the time...hell, I still like it a bit) and think I've had enough goses to date to opine objectively.

Here are the ones that I feel truly deserve lots of consumption (in no particular order):

Lost Nation Gose
    Mission Gose
    Ritterguts Gose
    AV The Kimmie (still think it's better than the Blood Orange, though I enjoy both)
    AV Blood Orange
    Les Trois Mousquetaires Hors Serie Gose
    Baladin Baciami Lipsia
    Grimm Super Going
    Rapp Gose

I will say that I also really enjoyed La Cumbre's Strawberry Gose but that one proved divisive. Otra Vez and Boulevard's Hibiscus were great to me but I need to revisit.

On my bucket list are Gose Gone Wild (though given the hype, I'm willing to bet it's sour as all hell) and Lost Nation's The Wind.

nsheehan, thatche2 and Beernerds like this.
  35. ONovoMexicano

Oh and I did find Salty Lady enjoyable too, thought I don't think it was necessarily an exemplar.

36. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Aspirant (245) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

37. elbrooksie

elbrooksie Aspirant (219) Jan 10, 2013 Texas
    Trader

I have not found a better gose than what de Garde has put out, and their fruited versions (especially Apricot Gose) are next level, IMHO...Having said that, for stuff that is available here, Blood Orange Gose is quite good as well.

38. mindswoop

mindswoop Initiate (100) Dec 22, 2011 Texas

Salty Lady is way too briny for me. It's like ocean water.

39. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,932) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

So all the texas people posting for the AV Blood Orange, where the hell did you find it? I ended up having my daughter order it from a Liquor store in downtown Tulsa and mule it back. The Boulevard Hibiscus was epic, found it up in Tulsa and brought it back, then went downtown searching for Upslope Blood Orange Saison, but they were out but grabbed 2 more sixrs of the Hibiscus. Great beer.

40. bradleydavid5

bradleydavid5 Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2014 Texas

I'm wondering when the hell we're going to see approval for anderson valley's briney melon gose.. I see it's coming out in 6 pack cans but every state but texas seems to have it. Great watermelon gose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.