Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Germany The invasion has begun...

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Stahlsturm, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Stahlsturm

As it so happened, yesterday I was out with a bunch of Americans (work collegues of my wife, non BA folk) and we had dinner at the Spitalbrauerei in Regensburg where I tried their newest brew, Spital Pale Ale. I'm not a beer reviewer at all so I won't bore you with clumsy descriptions of my dutyful comsumption of one of these. To me it tasted a lot like a slightly more hoppy hefeweizen with a lot of citrussy (is that even a word ? :D ) taste which overall made for a tolerable experience. There were a lot of people there for a Thursday night and I saw those Pale Ales fly off the shelf.

Boddhitree rejoice.

This must be a very recent event because nosing around on the Spital website produced no result under "Unsere Biere" (or are they ashamed of it ?) but there was a press article about their newest abomi... errrr creation here (in German only I'm afraid): http://www.spital.de/stiftung/aktuelles.php?typ=4&mid=13-14
    Here they talk about their new line of special brews under a new Spital Manufaktur line of which the above mentioned Pale Ale is the first example. Ironically enough, in the article they also talk about the era of the Einheitsbier been over yet brew a Pale Ale of all brews which is on the fast track to becoming the next Einheitsbier. Oh well...

I washed it all down with a good traditional boring yummy Spital Dunkel :D

2. danfue

So if it "overall made for a tolerable experience", what exactly is your concern, then?

3. Stahlsturm

That
    and the fact that I really didn't think a brewery like Spital would fall for this. I expected them to be less needy and accommodating and standing above that. They've been here since 1226 AD and now they brew Pale Ale.

I'm both disappointed and weirded out about this but as a dutyful BA I tried their Pale Ale (against my strong reservations) and found it a tolerable experience. The fact that Spital does this I find rather intolerable but as Tony would say, "let them as long as they don't stop brewing the Dunkel you love" and I guess he's right. I'm still having rather conflicting emotions about it, ranging from sad tolerance to torching the place at night for their heretical transgression.

boddhitree likes this.
  4. danfue

I wouldn't worry too much. I don't think Pale Ale is on the way to the next Einheitsbier in Germany. Just an alternative that is increasingly offered by some breweries. I agree with Tony's quote, especially if their traditional styles maintain the quality you are used to.

5. Stahlsturm

What am I going to do with a garage full of fertilizer now... ? :D

6. Gutes_Bier

I'll be keeping my eyes on the news...

7. Gutes_Bier

Well the big concern, especially if the beer is "flying off the selves" as reported, is that it will start to push those other, traditional beers out of production. "I'm sorry we no longer produce the Dunkel. If you liked our IPA, be sure to try our new Douple IPA!!!"

8. Stahlsturm

Let's not play this joke any further, shall we ? There's probably people reading this who will NOT understand our bantering and I don't particularly want to end up on a TSA no fly list or a CIA interrogation chamber... :D :D

It's a sad sign of the times that one has to specifically mark humour.

9. Stahlsturm

I better learn to brew myself... :(
    While we were there (6 to 9 pm or thereabouts) pretty much every second beer was a PA. It was both fascinating and terrifying.

10. digita7693

Beer Trader

I think there is room for both. Just as the US has rediscovered, in a sense, its German beer roots and many breweries are producing some German beers or exclusively produce German style beers.

People needn't fear the unknown and things outside the norm, but they can embrace and learn from things that are different. I am quite happy drinking Hefeweizen, Pils, Alt etc... but I welcome the variety and chance to drink some Belgian and American styles as well and do not think it is the downfall of German beer culture. Just as I am quite happy I do not have to only eat German food!!!

11. Stahlsturm

Good point though it goes both ways. I don't know where in Germany you live but around here it is quite hard by now to actually find a restaurant that has traditional local cusine. The "Spitalgarten" is a very notable exception because I wouldn't know any other place in a pretty wide radius where you can eat Milzwurst, Sauere Nieren or other traditional dishes like that. (Note to Americans; Don't google these things unless you are not grossed out by meals made by stuff that go into Hot Dogs in the US). Having a place that upholds such tradition "defect" to the dark side is unsettling.

And yeah, I eat Pizza and Gyros and Paela etc. as well so I DO see your point.

12. herrburgess

Beer Trader

I remember when Schlenkerla started brewing/serving Weizen. At the time, I -- and many others -- thought it was an abomination and an "invasion" of sorts (Franken isn't really "Weizen country"). Now I accept those beers, but still see them as non-traditional in that setting.

Like Stahlsturm, I am most offended/concerned by the unimaginative choice: as Tony would say (via Andreas Seufert), another bloody (I)PA.

Again, anyone who has spent time in Germany could have easily seen this coming. It's very German to take the most pedestrian examples of the latest fads from the U.S. and have *absolutely everyone* copy them. In fact, in my experience having lived in Germany and watched such trends -- from TV shows to music to clothing -- come and go, Germany's adoption usually signals the onset of the decline of the trend in the U.S.

So, Stahl and Tony and MJ...get ready for a flood of PAs, IPAs, DIPAs, TIPAs, etc., etc., etc. Meanwhile, I'll be over here rejoicing about the onset of the decline of this trend in the U.S.

Who knows, maybe 10-20 years from now, I'll have to travel to Germany to get my super hoppy (I)PA fix. ;)

#12 herrburgess, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  13. digita7693

Beer Trader

Stahlsturm, Cheers:)
    I agree, I embrace change and the opportunity to try new things and learn new things, but it should not be due to a loss and sacrifice in tradition. Germany, and Europe for that matter, has already adopted more than enough of the myriad negatives from the US, much to my dismay:(

ps I'm in Kassel, and lived in Aachen for 3 years a while ago as well as having spent a semester in Köln.

14. steveh

Complacency, that's how revolutions and wars start my friend! ;)

Next thing you know, that Dunkel is going to be hopped with Simcoe hops. :eek:
    See what I mean?

15. steveh

It's such a fine line to walk, and everyone always seem to fall off on the wrong side. Before you know it, the traditions are lost to the ages.

16. Stahlsturm

*grmpf*

herrburgess likes this.
  17. Stahlsturm

*grmpf*

herrburgess and steveh like this.
  18. steveh

And served on a Nitrogen tap. :D

19. boddhitree

Aren't you being monitored by the CIA already? The DNF list is for terrorist, right? Are there any Free Bavaria types fomenting or agitating for independence? Then, as long as you don't try to terrorize the folks who like the IPA or PA, don't worry, you have just as much privacy as Angie does.

20. Stahlsturm

You do enjoy my agony, don't you ? Sadist... :p

digita7693 likes this.
  21. Stahlsturm

I know I am. I mean, for real. My wife works for a military contractor on an Army base so I'm sure they took a closer look at her weird alien husband. I had to sign documents agreeing to that or she wouldn't have gotten the job...

There's a legit party, the Bayernpartei of who I happen to be a card carrying member. A fact I very much doubt comes as a surprise to anyone around here.

22. Stahlsturm

*GROWL*

23. boddhitree

I worked for the USA military teaching English in the USA... had a FBI check too and know how much fun that can be.

I'm shocked, shocked and more shocked. :confused: But you're known for your desire for a violent overthrow of the Government, aren't you?;)

24. steveh

Sorry. ;)

You know I'm really on your side!

25. steveh

I don't think he's looking for an overthrow (violent or otherwise), just secession! :D

26. Stahlsturm

Well, she got her clearance so they must've realized that though I can be rather opinionated at times and stubborn as a mule to boot I'm still one of the good guys :D

What government are we talking about ? *sharpens blade*

27. Stahlsturm

I know :)

28. Gutes_Bier

Looks like the first German BA Meet-Up will be for Stahlsturm's defense. Quick, someone research good spots for beer in The Hague!

Bierman9, Stahlsturm and steveh like this.
  29. einhorn

Beer Trader

Personally I would have also never expected to see a brewery like Spital venture into the world of US/English ales, this is somewhat of a shocker. I also find it amazing that it was accepted by customers so readily as described - as we all know most Germans are not akin to change, especially at such a traditional German location (vs. trying something at a club, disco or concert). The true test will be if they continue to produce it and if customers continue to order it.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe