Release The Last Blockbuster Beer

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by bbtkd, Aug 30, 2018.

1. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,001) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

EMH73 and eppCOS like this.
  2. eppCOS

eppCOS Defender (675) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Premium

I'll wait for the Betamax Bock version. Good grief...

3. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,400) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I miss Blockbuster. So much childhood nostalgia there.

jpacor12, EMH73, Jlabs and 4 others like this.
  4. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (596) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

F Blockbuster & their BS $3 rewind fee. I always rewound mine yet they always tried to screw me with it. Glad they’re gone.

5. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,076) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

Back when I was in college in 2012/13 I had a lot of classmates that had higher up positions at Blockbuster and thought they would be set for life. Funny how these things happen.

LuskusDelph, tzieser and Alefflicted like this.
  6. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (64) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

A black ale? I'd gladly give it a try. And I must say it's good to know that if I'm ever back in Bend, I can go rent a movie just for the sake of nostalgia.

7. tzieser

tzieser Savant (956) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Damn, I'd totally go for this if it were available here.

I once worked at a Blockbuster in Marshfield, MA during my senior year of high school going into college ('05-'06). Maybe it's just the nostalgic memories of growing up but it was (is?) the best job I ever had. Good pay ($13 an hour for high school was killer), 4 free movie or 2 free game rentals a week and you get to bullshit about movies all day.

Our store was conveniently located next to a Papa Gino's and a lot of people who worked there used to abuse substances that were then-illegal in the parking lot out back. We'd exchange our free rentals for free pizza and perhaps those aforementioned substances that are currently legal in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Anyway, it was quite the symbiotic relationship. I also learned a lot about customer service; how not to be an asshole employee and, more importantly, how not to be an asshole customer. It was a great experience and I'm bummed it won't happen again.

At least there is still Casa Video in Tucson, AZ. Greatest video store EVER-- 1,000s of movies, a great foreign selection you can't even find online and most importantly, a craft beer bar that also does growler fills. I say again, best video store ever.

Hahaha, I recall those days when I was just a customer. Luckily when I worked there pretty much everything was DVDs so no rewind fee was necessary. Not gonna lie, the only thing worse than getting the $3 rewind fee was having to tell the customer about the $3 rewind fee or any kind of late fee. I used to absolutely dread when I had to tell the customer we're taking on useless, greedy fees. Being strong-armed by management to promote Blockbuster Online, notify late fees, etc. That part of the job always sucked. Also stressed out parents with several dozen screaming kids. That sucked too.

They lost a lot of business to bullshit like that, (the late fees, etc). By the time Netflix hit the market and then started getting into streaming the writing was on the wall and we all knew it was over. "Blockbuster Online" was the dying breath of the company and we all knew it.

Wow, that's crazy. I'm really surprised they were that confident of the video rental industry. All of us measily underlings knew we were screwed back in 2006 or so when Netflix was gaining steam and started streaming their movies. Once that Blockbuster Online bullshit came out our manager basically told us "we're all completely fucked". I think the store closed like a year or two later. Blockbuster is notorious from being tone-deaf, so I guess it shouldn't surprise me that they thought they were "set for life" in 2013

8. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (268) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

2012/13... is that a typo?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockbuster_LLC#2011–2015:_Michael_Kelly_era

9. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,076) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I started college on 05 but wasn't until the end in 2012 that I realized why a bunch of my older classmates who stuck out like sore thumbs were blockbuster employees.

dcotom likes this.
  10. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Disciple (378) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

Ahhh Blockbuster, and their seemingly criminal definition/use of the phrase "new Release."

Lahey likes this.
  11. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (2,534) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Premium

We didn’t have Blockbuster in Sweden, but I miss really good video stores. I still rent movies, but a lot of movies now are only released on DVD and not Blu-Ray. DVD for Christ’s sake! In 2018! A DVD looks like poo on a 4K screen. First world problems, eh?

12. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (521) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

Wow, I already thought Casa Video was the greatest video store ever and they didn't even have a craft beer bar when I lived there! Between that, the movies, and the free popcorn I'd probably spend most of my free time there if I hadn't moved.

In fairness to Blockbuster, the branch near me when I lived in Tucson had a whole section devoted to widescreen versions of movies which was pretty ahead of its time. So I did sometimes cheat on Casa.

tzieser likes this.
  13. shelby415

shelby415 Crusader (751) Oct 10, 2011 Oregon

Seriously. A video store I went to back in the 90's actually requested that you NOT rewind the tapes, since (according to them) the average VCR heads put more wear on the tape than their rewinders did when the tape had cooled down. Essentially Blockbuster was charging you a fee for not ruining their tapes.

Ranbot likes this.
  14. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (315) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I remember seeing a guy get charged around 100 bucks for a late fee at my local movie store. They weren't gonna let him just buy the movie either. I think he just walked out and said good luck collecting that.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  15. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Defender (629) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

I think I'll pass on this one and wait for the Toys "R" Us release.

SammyJaxxxx and Lahey like this.
  16. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,001) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

I'm holding out for the Sears last-store beer. Think it's a sour or a bitter, vintage 2019.

Lahey, BeRightBock and KingforaDay like this.