Germany The leading beers, Amberg

Discussion in 'Europe' started by TreinJan, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TreinJan

TreinJan Initiate (135) Apr 13, 2006 Netherlands

New sort-of-beerfestival in Amberg in the Oberpfalz, east of Nuremberg.
    http://theleadingbeers.com/
    Will be there on the sunday. Looks a bit like Braukunst Live! in Munich.

NKTC75 likes this.
  2. boddhitree

boddhitree Devotee (482) Apr 13, 2008 Germany

I looked over the list of participants.
    Brauereien:
    •Alpirsbacher Klosterbräu
    •Bierkulturhaus
    •Brauerei Bischofshof (Weltenburger)
    •Braukunstkeller GmbH
    •Brewdog (vertreten durch Brauerei Hofmark)
    •Craftwerk
    •Die Internationale Brau-Manufacturen GmbH
    •Freudenberger Bier
    •Gaffel Kölsch & Fassbrause (an unserer Cocktailbar)
    •Schlossbrauerei Friedenfels
    •Heberbräu
    •Hofmark Brauerei
    •Jacob Brauerei
    •Kaiser Bräu GmbH & Co. KG (Veldensteiner)
    •Kraft Bräu
    •Brauerei Kummert GmbH& Co. KG
    •Kulmbacher Brauerei (Mönchshof)
    •Kundmüller Brauerei-Gasthof
    Mahrs Bräu
    •Neumarkter Lammsbräu
    Brauerei im Eiswerk
    •Pyraser Herzblut
    •Riedenburger
    •Riegele Brauerei Augsburg
    •Schlossbrauerei Hirschau
    •Sperber Bräu
    •Spitalbrauerei Regenburg
    •St. ERHARD GmbH
    •Weingut Baron Knyphausen (!)
    •Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH
    •Winkler Bier Amberg
    •Zoiglbrauer Windischeschenbach

These look more like regional brews. Except for Gaffel Kölsch and Kulmbacher, most are small, independent breweries from the Bayern.

Though there were a lot of traditional breweries there who had only traditional German brews, BrauKunstLive was really all about the INNOVATION going on in brewing. I hope it's like that, too, in Amberg. With all those regional breweries, it looks to me like the focus might be more on tradition when I see this line up, though Brewdog and BraukunstKeller look promising in the non-traditional category.

Drink a lot, take lots of notes and pics, and give us a detailed report later. Amberg is too far off the beaten track and on too short notice for me to attend, so please be our eyes, ears and taste buds.

NKTC75 and Gutes_Bier like this.
  3. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Disciple (389) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

I'd be interested in the Josephs Spezial from Brauerei Im Eiswerk, if you are interested in taking requests :stuck_out_tongue: . As soon as I can convince myself to take the 3 hour train to Munich on a Wednesday just to pick up a beer I'll be able to try some myself. Until then, I look forward to your report!

4. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,005) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry Beer Trader

U.S. beer geeks would NEVER complain about a 3-hr public transport ride to get great beer. You Germany guys have it good*! :stuck_out_tongue:

(*oops, forgot. there are no walez in Germany. nevermind....)

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  5. Gutes_Bier

Welcome to Germany!
    <------Belgium is over there.

6. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2005 Germany

Amberg isn't in Germany.

7. Bierman9

Bierman9 Poo-Bah (4,166) Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

I had wanted to get to Eiswerk on the Weds I was in Munich, but a trip to Freising to visit a friend took precedence..... Next year.... Prosit!

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  8. Bierman9

Beer Trader

But it is a nice little town..... ;-)

9. Gutes_Bier

And I was in Munich on a Thursday so no luck for me. I thought about it, though!

Any report on the Pax Bräu?

10. Bierman9

Beer Trader

I stopped into Liebick and got a Maibock and the Fasenochter.... Had thought the latter was a regular DBock but noticed it was a DBock Hell when I popped it.... Both were solid but not earth-shattering. My reviews (posted on BA) note no rauch, which you picked up.... Good biers, but the two I had I thought were a bit overpriced for what I got.... Still enjoyed them, though...

Prosit!

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  11. Gutes_Bier

Not me, Boddhitree! I have yet to enjoy one of Pax Bräu's beers. I look forward to that day, though. Thanks for the feedback, I'll look up your reviews!

12. spartan1979

spartan1979 Aspirant (296) Dec 29, 2005 Missouri

If only this was the weekend before!

13. Bierman9

Beer Trader

Sorry.... I knew someone here had had some Pax.... I would still try some more, diff options... Next year.... Prosit!

14. boddhitree

The Maibock was my least favorite from all of Pax's beers, and the Fasenöchter was brewed in January and released in the beginning of February, this year. So, no rauchmalz? Strange. I went back and reread my review and the only thing I can think of is that the flavor could've gone bad, but you reported the hops were still quite aromatic, so I'm not sure why. Then again, you said there was also not much of München malts, either, and the original in February was chock full of Müchner malt, which can be "bready" but usually have more sweet, caramel flavors. "Bready" is how I describe a Pils or Helles, you too? Maybe Jack or Scott have more experience brewing with smoked malt and know how long it lasts in a beer with bottle conditioning. The hops which "I've never heard of before" are a new German hop (Smaragd), and the rest are new New Zealand hops. Sorry you were underwhelmed by this beer. You also said "no extensive floral hopping," which is often a word used to describe Noble hops used in Pils and other German styles, but were you expecting Noble hops in a beer with no Noble hops? Fresh, it was a WOW beer, like I said, a supped up IPA/Märzen with some Rauchmalz mixed in. 7 months later, I can't imagine it would be as boring as you mentioned it was, but I'm not surprised you got a weaker version of what it once was, either.

15. boddhitree

Tell me when you get your Bayern passport.

danfue likes this.
  16. boddhitree

Back to the Pax beer that Bierman9 wasn't impressed with, the Fasenöchter. I just reread your review. You mentioned it had "a Best-by of 18JUL." Almost all of Pax beers are bottle conditioned and have a maximum of 6 months before the Best By is up. That means the beer you had was past it's best by date by over 3 months. At 8.5%, a beer like this should last and develop for years, but the initial intense flavors of malts of a regular Rauchbeer, Märzen, the hops might mitigate and weaken.

17. Bierman9

Beer Trader

Yeah, was wondering about the best by of 6 months for a strong bier like this... Again, I liked it, but didn't get any Rauch..... Not dissing your review....Just didn't get it.... Still good, but not "great".... Still, I would give them another shot next year... Need more reviews to get some differing opinions... eh? Proait!!!

18. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,005) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry Beer Trader

Chiming in here on the Rauchmalz question....

Tony: didn't you mention that Seufert sent you the recipe for Cissy, and the grain bill was something like 5% Rauchmalz? If this is indeed the case, I would expect only a very faint smokiness. I have brewed beers with 20% Rauchmalz and only gotten a barely perceptible smoke character. And with the types if hopping and bottle conditioning used for many of the Pax Brau beers, I could easily imagine that the smoke is overwhelmed.

That said, I have found that the longer a beer lagers, the more the smokiness can emerge. I even wrote to Randy Scorby about his AHA Best of Show-winning Classic Rauchbier recipe, and he informed me that that beer had been lagered for 16 months (yes, you read that correctly; not weeks, but months) when he entered it.

Hope this helps.

19. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,790) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Tony, I personally do not have much experience with how Rauchmalz (Weyermann Smoked Malt) ‘matures’ with age in the bottle. I brewed a Smoky Brown Ale last year where I had about 9% Smoked Malt but that beer was very popular with friends and family so that batch was consumed in just a few months (I would guess the last bottle had about 3-4 months of age).

I have another batch of Smokey Brown ale in my primary right now. I upped the smoked malt to around 18% of the grain bill. I have no idea how long this batch will last but my guess is that this beer will also get consumed rather quickly. It seems to me that Brown Ales are not typically a popular style for US craft beer drinkers but that has not been the case for my Smoky Brown Ale.

As a reminder I also use some Rye Malt (about 9% of the grain bill) in my Smokey Brown Ale so it is really a Smoky & Spicy Brown Ale.

Prost!

20. TreinJan

21. NKTC75

NKTC75 Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2013 Germany

Hello beer fans,

I´m really proud that you are discussing our the Leading Beers Festival.:slight_smile:
    I am Nicole and I organize this festival together with my students.
    We are NO traditional and regional event. We celebrate beer culture for all senses:

Best beers from Germany - pairing regional and other breweries, mostly european beers star winners or craft brewer. And of course we also have international beer from Brewdog, Austrain Beer, Belgian Beer, Indian Beer etc.

We are NOT a second kind of Braukunst live-our festival focusses on beer & culture.
    You see beer styles on the catwalk and beer paintings.

We don´t want to copy other beer event concepts-we want to be unique and unforgettable.

Each beer festivals must have its own character. And we love the variety of existing festivals.

We are really looking forward to international guests. See u in Amberg!

This is our program in English:

Students from Amberg organize a spectacular beer event called "the Leading Beers".
    Only beers from Germany´s best medaled breweries as well as international beer styles can be tasted.
    Live Music, cabaret, beer & art and a special fashion show create an unforgettable beer adventure.
    Have a meet & greet with the Bavarian Beer Queen and the Queen of Hops or have drink with the German Brewmasters.
    Programm Highlights
    Saturday 13/11/02 :
    • Beer Tasting (more than 30 Breweries)
    • Charity Vernissage
    • Beer & Cheese Pairing
    • Beer & Chocolate Pairing
    • Wheat Beer Goulash
    • Live Music (Rock, Pop, Jazz)
    • Fashion Show "Beerstyle"
    • Voting "Leading Brewery"
    Sunday 13/11/03:
    • Beer Tasting (more than 30 Breweries)
    • Bavarian Breakfast (Bavarian veal sausage & Wheat Beer)
    • Beer & Cheese Pairing
    • Beer & Chocolate Paring
    • Live Music (Bavarian Style)
    • Beer Expert TV Talk & Tasting Workshops
    Tickets: www.theleadingbeers.com or +49961-382 1403

22. NKTC75

NKTC75 Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2013 Germany

Amberg is in Germany - for many years Amberg was the European city with the highest number of own breweries. There was more beer variety in Amberg than in Munich :wink:

23. Gutes_Bier

Welcome to BA! I hope you will join in on the discussions here in the Germany Forum when you can. Stahlsturm is our resident Bavarian and proud Separatist as far as I can tell. He likes to joke around from time to time (although I'm being a little presumptuous there). I'm sure he knows Amberg but the rest of us do appreciate the information.

If I could make it to Amberg I'd be all over the Beer & Cheese pairing - sounds like my kind of event! I wish you well with your fest, please come back here and report on how you think it all went.

24. danfue

danfue Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2012 Germany

The event sounds nice and interesting. But why is it in such a remote location like Amberg?

25. Bierman9

Beer Trader

Amberg is a lovely place! I had the good fortune to have a super dunkle bier at the old Malteser place when it was still brewing...

Prosit!

26. Stahlsturm

I live 30 minutes driving from Amberg and I can assure you, Amberg is NOT in Germany. Amberg is in Bavaria which is currently occupied by Germany. I realize that may not look all that important from afar but down here, we feel very strongly about that.

Amberg is still the city in Bavaria with the most breweries (5) and Munich is completely irrelevant in terms of beer. Unless you count the mailboxes of former breweries that are still maintained in Munich by global brewing conglomerates for the sake of apperance and advertisement.

NKTC75 likes this.
  27. Stahlsturm

Because it's right between the Hohenfels and the Grafenwöhr military bases and there's a potential 35000 GI visitors basically in walking distance. Amberg is far from "remote", it's right off the A 6 which is the main trunk motorway from Paris to Prague and it's 30 minutes from Nürnberg International Airport.

28. danfue

danfue Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2012 Germany

I know where it is. Passed by there some time ago. But I didn't know about the military bases, that makes sense. Just thought it would be nice to have something like this in one of the big cities. Munich and Hamburg have their craft beer festivals already, so why not Frankfurt, Cologne, Berlin, etc. That way one could also get a lot of native visitors besides occupying forces.

29. TreinJan

If they were aiming for an english (sort of) -speaking public, they probably would have translated their website.

I'd say that Amberg is in the Oberpfalz which is currently occupied by Bayern. :stuck_out_tongue:

LBerges likes this.
  30. Stahlsturm

Also, it is organised by the students of the course "Eventmanagement" of the Technical University Amberg / Weiden. Of course they would do something like that close to home.
    http://theleadingbeers.com/team-foerderer/organisationsteam.html

31. Stahlsturm

No. Franken is currently occupied by Bayern. The Oberpfalz is culturally, linguistically and most importantly, in the minds of people here an integarl part of Altbayern.

32. Gutes_Bier

Berlin has a beer week or beer festival. I think I recently read that it's the second most attended festival in Germany, behind Oktoberfest. Will need to look that up now.

http://www.bierfestival-berlin.de/

Also, I love my morning Stahlsturm. I always learn so much about the Freistaat Bayern! :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit to add: Last year a BA went to the Berlin Beer Festival and talked about it here: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/berlin-beer-festival.27884/

33. Bierman9

Beer Trader

Every forum should have their resident curmudgeon!! :wink:

Gutes_Bier and JackHorzempa like this.
  34. TreinJan

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  35. Gutes_Bier

I bet the Georg Schneider presentation would be interesting to a lot of people in this forum - Variety Despite The RHG. I've seen him interviewed once or twice and he always seems to have something interesting to say.

36. TreinJan

He gave this presentation in Munich at the Braukunst live. Very interesting. He also gave some numbers: how many different beers could you brew with malts (incl. Weizen), hops, yeasts as are readily available in Germany while adhering to the Reinheitsgebot. For argument's sake, het also took into account two different water types.
    Anybody care to make a guess?

37. Gutes_Bier

About six, judging from my local retail shop.

:grinning:

einhorn and JackHorzempa like this.
  38. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (292) Nov 3, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

I would guess that the number is quite phenomenal, taking into account that you can have different percentages of grain in each beer. But for arguments sake, only considering the number of yeasts (guessing 80), hops (guessing 50) and grains (guessing 50) somewhere around 100 million.

39. TreinJan

40. Bierman9

Beer Trader

For a good time, call....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.