The most unique beers you ever had...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RBassSFHOPit2ME, May 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4ingredients

4ingredients Initiate (0) May 22, 2009 Massachusetts

Liked the response, did not enjoy the beer.

2. JDice20

JDice20 Aspirant (201) Aug 14, 2013 Louisiana
    Trader

this puppy i drank last night. First time trying the style. Twas goood

[​IMG]

thatoneguymike likes this.
  3. Loganyoung

Loganyoung Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2011 Georgia

Utopias. Sink the Bismarck, wicked weed's amorous

DerelictPI likes this.
  4. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,024) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

DFH Sixty One as previously mentioned (beer/wine hybrid).
    Hill Farmstead's (2013) Phenomenology of Spirit - labeled as a Saison /Farmhouse Ale, but was slightly sour and had a whole lot more going on in the flavor profile than any Saison / Farmhouse Ale I've ever tried.
    Lost Nation Gose (or probably any well made Gose like Westbrook etc.) - just because its such a rare style with the slighty salty, slightly tart thing going on. Nothing like it.

5. ajzbedo73

ajzbedo73 Initiate (114) Jan 17, 2014 Missouri

Hands down for me is Goose Island Identity Crisis. It was a porter they made. It had an amazing smell of cordial cherries and coffee. Taste was the same. Amazing stuff! What makes it even more unique is the bartender said it wasn't necessarily what the brewmaster intended, and they could not replicate it for some reason. So when it was gone, it was gone. Glad I got to have 4 glasses that night, sad I will never have another glass again.

6. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (818) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Tired Hands Key Lime

Enjoy

7. satisfied1013

satisfied1013 Initiate (142) Jan 24, 2012 Kansas
    Trader

Ccb humidor ipa

8. BEERchitect

BEERchitect Poo-Bah (11,390) Feb 9, 2005 Kentucky
    Society

I had one made with whale blubber the other day, Stedji Hvalur. I'll throw that review up once after this new Iceland brewery gets approval from BeerAdvocate. Yep, whale blubber.

TongoRad likes this.
  9. fishmich

fishmich Disciple (365) Apr 11, 2013 Michigan

i actually enjoyed this beer. it tastes exactly like the description and i gotta give em credit for that. i can see why someone would hate it but i like bloody marys and thought it was pretty close to that.

10. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,428) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska
    Trader

I was having trouble thinking of a truly unique beer. It seems like so many beers that might've once been unique catch on and are brewed by other brewers--especially if the first is successful. For example, Dogfish Head 61 was unique, but now multiple brewers are doing beers brewed with wine grape must/juice: Odell Jaunt, Boulevard Entwined are the two newest entries, but there are also ones like the Deschutes/Goose Island Class of 88 Belgian-style Ale. Or take the coined term "Mexican Imperial Stout"--someone brewed the first imperial stout with some combination of chocolate, chilis and/or spices, but now they are everywhere--Abraxas, Hunahpu, Mexican Cake, Prairie Bomb! and many more I'm forgetting.

And even beers I remember standing out in my mind, aren't particularly unique from a stylistic standpoint. One that came to mind was GI Gillian, which was a farmhouse/wild ale with white pepper and strawberries. Obviously, many brewers have created sour/funky barrel-aged beers with additives like pepper and fruit, but I'd never tasted one that so captured the essence of the fruit and spice.

And then I remembered Boulevard Tripel Julep - their Long Strange Tripel aged in whiskey barrels with fresh mint leaves. Now *that* was a different beer. BBA tripels already seem a little uncommon (the only one I can think of is Allagash's Curieux), but the use of fresh mint leaves really made it unique to my mind.

Personally, I liked it, but I know it was a pretty polarizing beer around KC.

satisfied1013 likes this.
  11. MCDub

MCDub Aspirant (228) Dec 17, 2009 North Carolina

Didn't hate the beer, didn't love it either. Was pretty unique.

12. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (341) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

I've seen this around and have been wanting to try it, but have not pulled the trigger for some reason. It sounds like something I would like though.

13. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Champion (860) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

It really wasnt terrible, I would say its worth a try.

14. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,801) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Re: Kelpie
    Definitely surprisingly not bad. I don't think I'd go out of my way for it, bit I'd happily do another if I got one of those variety packs again.

15. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Poo-Bah (1,694) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

I thought I might like it. I'd try it again ... I had it almost two years ago when I was just starting to get into beer.

16. RutgersBeerGuy

RutgersBeerGuy Aspirant (259) Jan 16, 2007 New York
    Trader

Dogfish Head Fluckey Fest. Brewpub exclusive back in 2007. 51% pilsner malt, 49% Chardonnay grapes. Champagne yeast.

VABA likes this.
  17. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Champion (890) Jan 29, 2012 England
    Trader

Nothing too out of the ordinary. The most unique was probably a Japanese green tea beer called Kinshachi Matcha Draft. It was disgusting.

18. WalkerSmith

WalkerSmith Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2014 Texas

Renegade Beetnik

19. WeaponTheyFear

WeaponTheyFear Aspirant (222) Mar 9, 2008 Connecticut

Fantome Magic Ghost. Definitely the most unique looking beer.

[​IMG]

PerHops and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  20. WeaponTheyFear

WeaponTheyFear Aspirant (222) Mar 9, 2008 Connecticut

21. Boca-X

Boca-X Zealot (529) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri

It's always the last beer I just had.

22. RedTarmac

RedTarmac Initiate (0) May 16, 2014 Maryland

Hey! I'm a fairly new craft beer lover, but I had a Dogfish Head Hellhound Ale which was unique to me. Actually,I loved it!

DerelictPI likes this.
  23. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (3,001) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

Agreed - but (for me) that would be unique in a bad way

Shafaegalo likes this.
  24. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (3,001) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

I got a bottle of Kelpie several years back (before I rated beers) as a novelty. I was surprised that I enjoyed it. As a student of history, it was neat drinking a beer that was similar to brews made many centuries ago.

25. Ysgard

Ysgard Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2008 Virginia

3 Brothers 8 Bells...

ThreeBrosBrew likes this.
  26. Dizbro21

Dizbro21 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2010 Connecticut

Vanberg & Dewulf Lambrucha

27. barroomhero1977

barroomhero1977 Initiate (168) Nov 2, 2010 Rhode Island

Sam Adams Triple Bock - 1996 version I think. Super soy flavor and thick thick thick oh my God thick. Definitely unique. Not my favorite but really glad I tried it.

Also, as someone else said, Humidor Series IPA from CCB.... wow, just wow. I loved it but I don't think I have had an IPA with that kind of flavor to it. I think the cedar could turn a lot of people off.

28. teledeluxe

teledeluxe Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2013 Illinois

Was it this guy?

[​IMG]

AndrewScottPentland likes this.
  29. teledeluxe

teledeluxe Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2013 Illinois

+1. Amazing beer and totally unique. Sadly, at $10 at the brewpub I only had one. I really hope that story isn't true because I'd like to have it again.

ajzbedo73 likes this.
  30. highTempo

highTempo Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2011 Oregon

I had a Breakside miso stout a couple of weeks ago and the Commons Four Play is also a big change of pace. Some of the Propolis beers are pretty unusual.

31. Thickfreakness

Thickfreakness Crusader (743) Oct 2, 2010 New York

Stone Matt's Burning Rosids
    Bruery White Chocolate
    DFH Palo Santo Marron
    and back in 2010... BCBVS

TongoRad likes this.
  32. nawset

nawset Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2011 New Hampshire

(1) Mikkeller's Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - civit poo
    (2) Wynkoop Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout - testes
    (3) Rogue Beard Beer - face pube yeast

DerelictPI likes this.
  33. mj81

mj81 Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2013 New Jersey

The one that sticks out to me in a good way was DeMolen Rook & Leer at Monks on Zwanze day. Imperial smoked porter, whiskey barrel aged and soured with Brett. Yeah, it was as good as it sounds.

Most unique in a bad way was DFH 61. Just......no.

34. yasky

yasky Disciple (388) Dec 21, 2008 Canada
    Trader

Sprecher Mama Mia was certainly unique for it's time.

35. BILF

BILF Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2010 Israel
    Deactivated

Banana beer I drank in Sud Afrika (don't remember the name) that came packaged in a carton like milk does and cost me 2 Rand.
    Rancid. Fucking Rancid. I spat that shit straight out in a spray and then threw the mostly full carton on the ground and stomped on it before I ran away.

36. vfgccp

vfgccp Poo-Bah (3,477) Oct 28, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

The first brews that come to mind are the Voodoo Doughnut beers, and this ale I had recently from Italy brewed with fresh homegrown asparagus, it was very interesting.

37. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,801) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Great choices, although the Burning Rosids did kind of remind me of Unibroue Raftman (but done correctly :wink:). That one I really dug, and went back for a few more bottles.

Another one that comes to mind for me is Allagash Odyssey- a dark strong wheat beer (10%) with candi sugar, aged in oak barrels. I've never had anything quite like it, in a good way.

Thickfreakness likes this.
  38. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,753) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

Mama Mia! Pizza Beer

39. tbaker397

tbaker397 Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 West Virginia

Two brothers domane dupage. Loved every second of that 'french country ale' with spices and man was it unique. Also, second the saison du buff. That was right as I was entering the beer world and never had a saison before. Loved it and will buy it again fresh (2 year old bottles....no thanks )

40. RyanGoodman

RyanGoodman Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2011 Bolivia

Green Flash - Rayon Vert. It blows me away everytime. And I actually love that it's overcarbonated! Adds to it's uniqueness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.