The Next Big Thing

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bigotecircus, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArkansasTraveller

ArkansasTraveller Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Arkansas

Perhaps a salad bar type dealio, with all sorts of berries, fruit, chocolate, nutella, coffee, or whatever, and french presses at your table. Sort of a "Build A Beer Workshop" bar.

2. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Defender (620) May 29, 2011 Florida
    Trader

Agreed. Brewers need to get back to basics and nudge off the temptation to lead with their creative foot. Quality control and craftsmanship will be the weed out factor over the next few decades I think. We are in the middle of a brewery boom, but let's face it - too many places are putting out too much subpar, masked by flavor additions beer. I think brewers will start geeking out over quality control and improvement and start tapering off of extreme, creative beers as the market becomes saturated with that.

ThisWangsChung and tylerstravis like this.
  3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,256) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

“… start tapering off of extreme, creative beers as the market becomes saturated with that.” If the market does indeed become saturated that will indeed happen. What I have been noticing (and I recognize this is anecdotal) over the past few years is that among many BA beer drinkers extreme beer tastes have ‘diversified’. I do not know the precise order but maybe it is something like: hoppy/imperial -> barrel aged -> use of ‘interesting’ ingredients -> sours -> etc.

The interesting thing is that as more extreme type beers have come in vogue I have not noticed an appreciable diminishment of the earlier iterations of extreme beers. For example, as far as I can see hoppy beers like IPAs are just as popular today (more popular in terms of beer volume consumption) then they were 5+ years ago. I have seen no diminishment in the popularity of barrel aged beers and I fully expect Goose Island to continually expand their barrel aging program. There seems to be no end in the selection of using ‘interesting’ ingredients; I have had two beers brewed with Hibiscus in the past month. I also see no diminishment in the demand for sour beer and the recently announced expansion of Cantillon to double production could have been an announcement of a 10x expansion and that would not have been enough to fulfill demand.

Maybe you know something I don’t but I personally do not see the market for “extreme, creative beers” being fulfilled (saturated) anytime soon.

Cheers!

blassor likes this.
  4. patdunkel

patdunkel Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2014 Wisconsin

Rye and other adjunct grains. Had some rye beers I really liked lately. They've been around for years, but not much until lately.

tylerstravis and JackHorzempa like this.
  5. Sponan

Sponan Initiate (192) Jan 20, 2008 Tennessee

Agreed. A poor beer placed in a barrel does not suddenly get better.

swolepeer and bigotecircus like this.
  6. jbck109

jbck109 Aspirant (221) May 30, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Hybrid styles. Combining things like an IPA with a stout, or any two(or more) drastically different beer styles that can make a freakishly tasty love child. Not sure if it will be integrating recipes or blending, but I think that this will become a much more popular trend.

TaylorRB817 likes this.
  7. patdunkel

patdunkel Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2014 Wisconsin

That's usually true but in some cases it makes an OK beer excellent. An example I'd submit is the recent gold medal winner from Milwaukee Brewing Company called Louie's Resurrection. Their basic Louie's Demise is just OK. The BA stuff is absolutely fantastic.
    Normally, I agree with you but not always:wink:

8. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (472) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Latzenbier!!!

9. Flashy

Flashy Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

You don't know how lucky you are. Used to be seeing Sam Adams in a bar was a thrill. Don't look the gift horse in the mouth.

10. jbck109

jbck109 Aspirant (221) May 30, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Could call it Randalls!

11. Southerndiscomfort

Southerndiscomfort Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 North Carolina

swolepeer, ben4321 and JohnnyMc like this.
  12. bigotecircus

bigotecircus Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2014 Colorado

My god. This. This. This is the future.

herrburgess likes this.
  13. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (511) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Hmmmm judging by the landscape of the mass market I'm guessing pear cider shandy:rolling_eyes:

14. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (547) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Nanos everywhere.

Jimmy_Melnarik likes this.
  15. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

How about this. More bistros and restarurants employ brewers to come up with a complimentary flight to their menus. Could be a great way to give lots of brewing opportunity without the commmitment of a brewpub of one's own. Places like Ithaca would love it. It's local, it's in the present tense and it's friendly. Can you brew beer in a restaurant?

16. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (2,224) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Craft beer>>>>ciders>>>>>mead

17. ChrisBanks

ChrisBanks Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2014 Texas

I'm thinking we will see a lot more craft style beers from the big brewers (Anheuser Busch) in order to gain a foothold in the market.

18. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (606) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

Triple barrel aging, then naturally quadruple

19. Providence

Providence Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

For a variety of reason, I absolutely think we're going to start seeing tons of smoked beers in the next couple of years.

jcos likes this.
  20. micromaniac129

micromaniac129 Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

Had it quite good as is there hop nosh

21. micromaniac129

micromaniac129 Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

I forgot about that one. Thanks for reminding me, it was pretty good.

22. Dan269605

Dan269605 Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2013 Connecticut

I think barrel-aging will continue to get bigger, but it won't be just "Bourbon barrel aged" more ingredients will be used (fruit, spices, natural ingredients) then different types of barrels (wine, tequila, brandy, cognac, sherry, port) and possibly aged in one type of barrel and "finished" in another. A lot of blending like the wine and spirits world. Everything will become much more entwined within the industries.

23. ArkansasTraveller

ArkansasTraveller Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Arkansas

Maybe some more funky/sour stouts? I believe Ive heard of some, but its obviously not the big thing now, so maybe the next big thing?

24. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Meyvn (1,037) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

THIS. I've been preaching this for a long time and find Hop Ranch to be the best example around at this point.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  25. JackHorzempa

Society

@sierranevadabill recently posted in another thread: “Big things!”

That made a light bulb go off so my comment on the next big thing(s): The beers of Sierra Nevada from SNPA to the new Wild Hop IPA (brewed with Neo Mexicanus hops) and beyond!

Cheers to Sierra Nevada!!!

BillManley likes this.
  26. NewGlarusFan

NewGlarusFan Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2013 Illinois

Baltic Porters, IPL, and Hoppy Pils!!!!

BWM-77 and JackHorzempa like this.
  27. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Disciple (303) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

Where?

28. jcos

jcos Devotee (489) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland
    Society

29. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Initiate (188) Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

Realistically, I don't think sours have reached that overkill status that barrel aging has come to achieve and will be next to be beaten to death.

"out there" answer: Edible glassware. Imagine a pretzel tulip dipped in non-nutritive cereal varnish. It's semi-permiable. It's not osmotic.

bluehende likes this.
  30. MaltLickyWithTheCandy

MaltLickyWithTheCandy Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Maryland

Quintuple bourbon barrel aged on vanilla, cacao, chocolate, coffee, caramel, cherry, honey, tobacco, plums, molasses, quadruple dry hopped beers. Who knows, maybe one day

31. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,148) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

My vote for most creative thoughts. Need a business partner?

32. twb0392

twb0392 Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2014 Wisconsin

Pot infused beer in Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Alaska etc...

33. JackHorzempa

Society

I wonder what would be the preferred food pairing with those beers. Hmmm, twinkies!?!

Cheers!

34. Providence

Providence Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

In seeing this thread it reminded me how I have, on more than one occasion suggested that smoked beers will be the next big thing. I went back and did a quick search for some of those comments I made. Below are some highlights, if anyone is interested. Let me preface all of this by saying, I think smoked beers are the next big thing for beer geeks, not beer drinkers, not even the casual craft fan, but for folks like us. Again, here's some of my previous comments.....

In my opinion, the big "trends" tend to play on the "bigger/stronger/more intense = better to the American consumer" assumption. Extreme hoped beers, extreme strength beers, extreme barrel aged beers, extreme ingredients (though this one has worn out it's welcome amongst the geeks I believe), etc., etc. Smoke can be exploited that way. You'll start seeing posts like "Smoked beer from X brewery was like drinking a pack of Marlboro's, it was EPIC BRO!!!" as if the smokier it is, the better it automatically is (as we see with the comments about DIPA's being awesome because the bitterness can strip enamel off teeth).

Smoked beers especially could become the next new thing when you factor in the machismo element of smoke and the nonsense bravado that could, if marketed correctly, accompany it (ie. being a tough guy who smokes cigars, beeing a mountain man who smokes meat, and other similar foolishness). The style is ripe to be marketed to high hell. And, if AAL's have taught us nothing else, marketing can influence your perception of taste more so than your actual taste buds. At that point you'll start seeing many more threads that say, "I used to hate smoked beers, now I love them."

Many will say that smoked beers are too polarizing. Indeed, the flavors are strong. But again, why are we consuming what we are consuming. We like to think it is because appealing to our taste buds, but there's a lot of psychological factors that contribute to what we ultimately taste. Additionally, I present to you sour beers. These beers are/were polarizing too, yet all summer long we saw people crushing 12 packs of Westbrook Gose in the "What Beer are You Drinking Now" threads. Perhaps sour flavors aren't as polarizing as smoked flavors when it comes to beers, but there is certainly some division, and as I have alluded to, when marketed correctly, the arguments on taste alone aren't as cut and dry.

If a brewery that wasn't considered "too big" (like Sam Adams) but large enough to reach a lot of people, though not everyone, so that some exclusivity could still tantalize folks AND that same brewery had a head brewer people respected and didn't dismiss when they experimented (someone like Jim Kimmich and not someone like Sam Calgione) came out with a 12 pack of canned "Smoked Amber Ales" AND named it something that tapped into the bullshit bravado that underscores the craft community (Mountain Man's Smoked Ale) AND then wrote on the can some exaggerated foolish descriptor using violence, irony, a reference to beards and the word epic at least once (for example "Mountain Man Smoked Ale is for the burly man who knows his night in the wild is epic. While he smokes his freshly killed boar over a fire that he used a piece of his beard as kindling for, he cracks open one of these brews and enjoys the satisfaction of himself. No need for this man to crush the can on his head, as he'll crush it on the skull of his next kill, unless of course he decides to use it as pillow.") AND then that same brewery got those same canned Smoke Amber Ales into the hands of a few people in the craft scene with cred. like the Bros., while they were getting their picture taken AND then got those pics uploaded to all sorts of places you'd start to see a change. That is a perfect storm of factors, no doubt, but how does anything become truly popular without a little "right place/right time" magic?

So brewers take note, a lot of people like craft because of how it tastes, but a lot of people got into craft because it helped the reinforce an identity that they wanted to have (for whatever reason).This is all just my $0.02 obviously, but I see a huge market to capitalize on with smoked beers.

35. fredmugs

fredmugs Meyvn (1,483) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana

36. JackHorzempa

Society

@Jesse, I really like you enthusiasm concerning smoked beers and wish you well on your crusade here. I will do my part by vowing to once again attend the Yards Smoke ‘Em if You Got ‘Em event.

Cheers!

Jack

P.S. And I will track your ‘prediction’ of a US craft brewery producing something like a12 pack of canned "Smoked Amber Ales”.

P.S.S. You may be interested in knowing that more Schlenkerla smoked beers will be coming to the US this year; bottled versions of Fastenbier and draft of Krausen.

37. 1eyed_jack

1eyed_jack Initiate (115) Dec 19, 2012 Illinois

Perhaps it's just me, but I can't stand BA beers. Just too boozy for my taste.

I like my IPAs, Stouts, Porters, Reds etc....so I'm happy

38. BWM-77

BWM-77 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2014 Kentucky

Hopefully Zwickels and more Maibocks!

39. Das_Reh

Das_Reh Disciple (325) Mar 25, 2013 Florida

Aging in oil barrels.

#tooedgyforme

d_cook_roc and bigotecircus like this.
  40. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (936) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

You are talking about the next hyped thing not the next big thing. barrel-aged/sour/wild are a small % of the craft beer market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.