The Oldest Beer You've Had

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Sneers, Apr 3, 2012.

1. beerFool28607

beerFool28607 Feb 22, 2012 North Carolina

How was that experience?

Is that a typo?

2. boMD

boMD Feb 8, 2009 Oregon

I only had maybe 2oz of it since it was shared. It was drinkable. Definitely oxidized, and some sweetness. Given that it has been three years since I drank it, that's really all I can remember.

beerFool28607 likes this.
  3. jesskidden

jesskidden Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Probably ;) ... the post-Repeal Ballantine Burton Ale was brewed only twice, on May 12th of 1934 and again on May 12, 1946. (It was bottled up until the year 1966 or so.)

4. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Jan 28, 2011 Ohio

Brasserie Belle-Vue Gueuze from 1981.

It was good, not great. Super oxidized, but had a nice amount of funk and sourness.

5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Beer Trader

Good bloody grief, why didn't I check my bottle???? Brewed May 12, 1946, bottled in December 1956.

6. ontherocks

ontherocks Mar 4, 2008 Georgia

It was probably the 1946. Sorry for the typo.

7. slimjim871

slimjim871 Nov 25, 2011 Pennsylvania

At a recent Trappist beer tasting we split and 18 year old bottle of Rochefort 10, it was fantastic. We had it right after a 2 year old Westy 12 and the Rochefort blew it away.

In 2009 we did;
    One year old Palo Santo, very good, one year mellowed it nicely
    1999 Thomas Hardy's (last year of Eldridge Pope), one of the best beers I've had.
    1994 SA Triple Bock, should have just poured it. Split a bottle three ways and none of us could finish.

8. brewseum

brewseum Nov 11, 2004 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Lets see, we have a chapter of collectors (advertising,breweriana) that have an annual Christmas tasting. Its a yearly mission to bring the OLDest beer to share. Last year it was a 1940-ish Western Brew from Sioux City,Iowa.
    It had evaporated down to the neck, was black and chunky...and the opener went THROUGH the cap when opened. Two guys toasted and tipped it back. It smelled of moldy basement with a vomit-like body.There was a Billy beer (1983) a Grain Belt that was IRTP (a tax statement required on labels before 1951) and a few other 1970's vintages, none of them had mellowed or improved. In fact, one of the guys dipped his cup into the "dump bucket" (as he does every year) and drank THAT.

I have a 79 Thomas Hardy's, 1983 Old Foghorn, 94 Cuvee Rene and an 85 Lindemann's Kriek in my cellar currently.

dianimal likes this.
  9. Creetoper

Creetoper Jul 7, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I had a 2006 Stone IRS last year that was pretty fantastic but not very interesting to talk about. The second oldest I've had was a Weyerbacher Twelve (brewed 2007) late last year that I found hiding out in the cooler of a relatively out of the way beverage store (though oddly enough this store has one of the best selections in the area). The coolers were equipped with neon lights so I imagine it was illuminated for the majority of its life.

Just as Weyerbacher stated in their description, this was an extremely viscous barleywine. The mouthfeel was unlike anything I've ever had before. It was almost like syrup. I can't be sure as I have not tasted any other beers nearly this old aside from the IRS but I think it had succumbed to some level of oxidation. Either that or it was the rye malt coming through with unfamiliar spice. Overall it was very enjoyable. I just wish I hadn't decided to open it at 2am on the tail end of other beers.

10. Kuemmelbrau

Kuemmelbrau Aug 2, 2008 Louisiana

1953 John smiths coronation ale- brewed to commemorate the crowning of queen Elizabeth!
    Definitely oxidized, but still holding strong in great caramel flavor- smooth and surprisingly delicious.

Knifestyles likes this.
  11. a77cj7

a77cj7 May 7, 2010 South Dakota
    Beer Trader

2007 BCBS a few months ago - Good, but the 08 killed it.

Have a 97 Triple Bock that i keep at the front of my cellar collection, will have to gather my tasting group for a go at some point. Not gonna lie, i'm kinda scared of it. Got it as an extra in a trade, still wondering if this is a awesome gift or an insult, lol.
    Chris

12. Channel10Geuze

Channel10Geuze Dec 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

2005 Brooklyn black Chocolate

13. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Apr 3, 2006 Michigan
    Beer Trader

How was it? I have an '09 Brooklyn.

14. JohnnyTightLips

JohnnyTightLips May 30, 2009 Illinois

Ha! The caption perfectly fits to your avatar.

15. jerschwab

jerschwab May 31, 2010 British Columbia (Canada)

Had a 2000 Gale's Prize Old Ale this year. It was fantastic... quite memorable. From what I hear, these things are hit or miss. Cork was in good shape which was a good start.

16. Channel10Geuze

Channel10Geuze Dec 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

It was good, a little boozy though. Alot of dark fruits and more pronounced chocolate.. I still have a few left over in the cellar for a rainy day

szmnnl99 likes this.
  17. tony32408

tony32408 Sep 21, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

I was just having a conversation fellow BA who told me the oldest beer he drank was a 1902 Bass Kings Ale. Seems like it would be quite an interesting experience to drink a 111 year old beer. What is the oldest beer you have ever consumed? Any from the 1800's still "floating" around?

18. HipsterBrewfus

HipsterBrewfus Jun 3, 2012 Maryland

I had one last year from 2006, does that count?

MightySteede and beercanman like this.
  19. dsal89

dsal89 Jul 6, 2008 Indiana

Im guessing there will be quite a bit Tom Hardys in this thread

20. infi

infi Apr 4, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

'97 Triple Bock. An experience in itself.

21. leedorham

leedorham Apr 27, 2006 Washington

A few years ago this happened - http://seattlest.com/2007/08/13/500000_for_1_bo.php

If the owner has still not opened it (I assume they would have no intention of doing so) then it is still the oldest known sealed bottle of beer.

22. phanlon

phanlon May 7, 2012 Pennsylvania

Pfft. The 1902 sucked. 1901 was WAY better.

23. tony32408

tony32408 Sep 21, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

I bet it was an experience. The last review of this beer is hilarious! - "In closing, my friends, and I do call you, dear reader; my friend. I recommend you drink this beer, this beer is like attaining reverse-nirvana it is truly so vile and, if sentient, hate-filled that the experience cannot fully be explained and contains a level of beer enlightenment unattainable through any other method. In the words of Frederich Nietzsche 'That which does not kill you only makes you stronger' this beer is those words distilled, or fermented rather, into liquid form."

jglowe77 likes this.
  24. infi

infi Apr 4, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Haha, that is spot on! It definitely has some existentialism implications. One of those 'bucket list'-type beers!

25. Onenote81

Onenote81 May 27, 2008 North Carolina

Back in '10 someone 'extra-ed' me an Anchor Special Christmas from '96. I like some age on those guys, but 14 years was a bit much. Pretty poor tasting beer.

26. Retsinis

Retsinis Sep 25, 2009 California
    Subscriber

Yeah I tried a 1997 Triple bock too, vile. Oxized, cardboard, spoiled plum soy sauce. Also tried a 1964 wine once last year, also, vinegar. Not to say things can't age that long, but whose to say how these things were stored. Friend of mine also shared a 4 year old Four Loko last summer (poured into a Cantillon bottle) ...another experience, haha.

Oldest beer I had early last spring that I can recall as being great, was Wooden Hell, sublime, wow.

jedwards and FUNKPhD like this.
  27. SanDiegoBeerLove

SanDiegoBeerLove Sep 20, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

My oldest was a 1986 Bottle of Chimay Blue. This was in Belgium and I could have had an older one.

28. GrumpyOldTroll

GrumpyOldTroll May 5, 2012 New Jersey

FUNKPhD likes this.
  29. notchucknorris

notchucknorris May 28, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

About to get a 97 Triple Bock in a trade soon. Can't...wait...

ChanChan likes this.
  30. kojevergas

kojevergas Aug 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

1978 La Trappe Amber at Kulminator. I recently had an early '90s Bigfoot as well. More recently, I had a '94 Triple Bock and a '99 Thomas Hardy's. A while back, I had Westvleteren 6 at Akkurat. I've yet to have a beer older than five years that was better than it would have been with 5 years or less. If Thomas Hardy's didn't do it for me, maybe I just don't like vintage.

31. codasnap52

codasnap52 Jan 24, 2008 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

1996 Bigfoot at the EBF last year...still damn good!

32. stayclean

stayclean Mar 17, 2012 Wisconsin

Nothing too crazy, just a handful of those '03 (and another handful) Aventinus bottles that they age.

33. FosterJM

FosterJM Nov 16, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

2003 Stone Vertical
    2001 3F Lou Pepe

Thats about it.

Cheers!

34. TNGabe

TNGabe Feb 6, 2012 Tennessee

Buddy traded his Loerik for a '63 for his 50th bday this year. Loerik was off the shelf from Binny's.

35. TNGabe

TNGabe Feb 6, 2012 Tennessee

I had a '78 or '77 Old Foghorn in the early 2000s. Don't remember much about it, so it's safe to assume it wasn't terrible or great. It was pretty cool to drink. I was born in 79 and I don't know many people who have had a beer older than them.

36. GallowsThief

GallowsThief Aug 3, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

In 2011, I had an 1985 Westmalle that Brabander was kind enough to send my way. It still tasted pretty solid though was certainly much more mellow then a newly bottled one.

semibaked likes this.
  37. CommanderOfAwesome

CommanderOfAwesome Aug 30, 2012 California

This is mine as well.

38. DeDolle

DeDolle Jul 7, 2007 United Kingdom (England)

Bourgogne de Flandres - at least 57 years old (that's when the brewery in Bruges shut down)

39. jmgrub

jmgrub Nov 20, 2010 California

1987 Thomas Hardy's as of right now, but I have a 1986 I need to crack soon as well. Others include 1991 de Neve Gueuze (thanks Mrbubbler), 1996 Anchor OSA, early 90's Traquair House Ale, 97 Triple Bock (am I the only person who thinks this is a decent beer, especially given the age). I love drinking old beers-it's like drinking a piece of history, a cool connection to the past-and I hope I get to try lots more. Bass King's and Prince's Ale-you are both on my tradar.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!