The Order

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CDBeerDisappear, Jul 27, 2020.

1. CDBeerDisappear

CDBeerDisappear Champion (899) Dec 28, 2005 Ohio
    Society Trader

The way you perceive a beer is strongly influenced by the beer you drank before it. Talk amongst yourselves.

2. bret27

bret27 Savant (990) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

So if we start the evening with a couple Double hazy IPA’s our palettes are pretty much done for?

mikeinportc and JohnnyHopps like this.
  3. zid

zid Meyvn (1,192) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

4. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,805) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

I usually drink only one beer on a given day. Problem solved.

VABA, johnInLA, sulldaddy and 6 others like this.
  5. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (249) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

I disagree.

talk amongst yourselves....

6. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,361) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Also by what you've eaten or drank in the previous 4-8 hours.

woemad, KRug, bubseymour and 10 others like this.
  7. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Devotee (411) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

I thought this was common knowledge?

woemad, johnInLA, mikeinportc and 8 others like this.
  8. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (646) Mar 28, 2009 California

It is.

9. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,371) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

... after having beer shits, I am not interested in another beer and the order is null and void.

10. jonphisher

jonphisher Aspirant (286) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Great minds drink alike

But to address the thread I 100% agree. What you eat too, it’s very easy to mute flavors in beer. I never drink while eating cause of this too.

Bitterbill and FBarber like this.
  11. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,747) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I think it's been proven that smell is involved in more of the taste process than your taste buds are, so drink in a neutral-smelling place.

12. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,849) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Maybe that explains where the mention of "cat piss" comes from in reviews... :grin:

DoIa, KRug, JackHorzempa and 4 others like this.
  13. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,266) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

14. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,966) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

A change in overall diet also can result in reworking how we perceive the flavors we ingest. At any point our ability to taste is heavily influenced by the flavors we eat concurrently, the flavors we had a few minutes ago, and the general pattern of our diets. Changes to any of these will certainly result in changes of taste perception, including the taste of beer.

15. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (813) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

16. Sixpack595

Sixpack595 Devotee (481) Dec 12, 2002 Michigan

The same can be said regarding what you eat before trying a beer. I recently had a beer after eating a corned beef sandwich. The beer was decent, but I figured it deserved a clean tasting. A couple nights later I had it again and it wasn't nearly as good. Tasting notes: Flavor greatly improved by first consuming 1/2 lb of corned beef, two slices of dark rye, and several slices of Swiss cheese.

17. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (646) Mar 28, 2009 California

but beer goes so well with food. Might change the flavor of the beer but in many cases it enhances the overall experience. Plus, I think it can bring out different flavors of the beer you don’t taste on a clean palate.

Spicy food and an ipa = amazing!! Steak paired with a stout = soooo good! Sushi and a light lager, mmmmm. I could go on and on.

18. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,801) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

I think it could have some effect, I wouldn't say a strong influence though. For me once I start drinking a beer my palate becomes assimilated to the flavors pretty quickly and whatever I had before that gets washed away. I've been at tastings where people serve lighter, paler and non-sour beers first which I mostly agree with, but if you are having a full glass of beer I don't think it really matters. You should be able to taste the new beer once you start drinking it. I don't think having a sour is going to taint all the other beers you drink after that, or having a stout is going to mess up your IPA after, etc.

Bitterbill and PapaGoose03 like this.
  19. jonphisher

Trader

that is true to I guess I just choose to enjoy one or the other. I guess it has been a while and I should give beer with food a try though. Thanks for the suggestion. The stout with steak does sound pretty tasty actually.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  20. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,709) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

39 posts in 15 years. What an insightful contribution, sir. I'm inspired.

I love you. :beers:

Urk1127, MNAle and JohnnyHopps like this.
  21. TheEpeeist

TheEpeeist Devotee (466) Nov 5, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

when i have a number of new beers over a few days, or at a tasting, i try to differentiate between them with my ratings even if differences are small. i suppose some beers would get rated higher or lower as a result.

22. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (8,654) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Think I'm covered since I've been drinking only one beer a week lately.

cavedave likes this.
  23. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,450) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

I'll add medications and dentures to that as well. The missus has dentures and she has become incredibly more sensitive to bitter. No idea how that works - maybe the taste sense has been muted overall and bitter stands out more. Possibly the dentures affect the ability to detect the volatile flavors/aromas we normally "smell" during tasting.

We've both experienced altered perception of taste and smell due to some medications as well. Thankfully short term, but we've noticed it several times.

24. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,849) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

I had a partial plate for awhile until I got implants, and having the plastic covering part of the roof of my mouth did definitely mute the complexity of my taste a noticeable amount.

Junior, mikeinportc and LeRose like this.
  25. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (432) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

All else being equal, drinking a strongly flavored beer before a lighter one will absolutely affect how you taste the second - be it a hop bomb IPA (NE or otherwise) a big stout, (BBA or otherwise,) or a rauchbier, then going to a light Pils or Helles, you're not going to taste as much of the second one.
    Drink the lighter one first, then the bigger, that way you'll get a lot more of the lighter.

26. Insomniac

Insomniac Initiate (125) Nov 5, 2019 Canada

At the risk of sounding flaky, I think mood, activity, weather, etc. influence the taste of a beer as much as some other factors. I don’t think my go to IPA (Ransack The Universe) tastes the same on a -20 degree day in February as it does after yard work or a bike ride on a 30 degree day in July. Although, maybe, that’s just my wife’s yoga and meditation mindset rubbing off on me. Cheers.

27. CDBeerDisappear

Society Trader

I only meant this as it influences beer reviews. ABSOFUCKINGLUTEY, When you are just drinking for the joy of drinking, drink whatever you want, whenever you want! The point of my comment (in my own mind anyway) was to be careful about writing reviews on 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... beers. I'm not even trying to make a rule. Just a raising of awareness. If you reveiwed a beer and it wasn't your first of the day/evening then make it a point to try another one when it is your first and then go back to your review and double check it for accuracy.

Junior and mikeinportc like this.
  28. CDBeerDisappear

Society Trader

So, shoes on or shoes off?

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  29. CDBeerDisappear

Society Trader

What the fuck does the number of my posts have to do with the validity of a point? Please respond to the argument without attacking the poster! Posters don't count for shit. It's the idea that matters.

Ffenski, jesskidden and PapaGoose03 like this.
  30. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,747) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

It all depends on whether you've changed your underwear recently. :grin:

CDBeerDisappear likes this.
  31. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,371) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

This thread is fun. I don’t know anybody that likes beer though.

adrock314 and CDBeerDisappear like this.
  32. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,997) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

If you are going to do multiple beer reviews, IMO always have any light malty lagers or low hopped pale ales etc prior to really hoppy IPAs or high ABV beers of any style. High ABV beers seem immune in where in an order to drink them (to me anyway), but ligher ABV beers will seem like they lack both body and flavor if you sample them after more "extreme" beer styles. Haven't quite figured out where funky/sours fit in the mix of sampling order however.

There have been many lagers/pale ales that I thought as a 1 and done review were really grainy/full bodied/malty etc. But following a BA quad or stout etc....same beer felt like drinking water almost.

33. jonphisher

Trader

Alright @GetMeAnIPA you idea popped into my head today. We had salad for dinner tonight (yes we eat super early for dinner I know). But...it’s all fresh veggies and a vinaigrette dressing. I was like man a pils would go so well with this. It was perfect, acidity and brightness form the salad. Then a sip of refreshing crisp clean lager was a match made in heaven. I’m gonna start pairing more often now.