The Pour Fool steps in it

Discussion in 'US - West' started by BuckeyeOne, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

I do not read The Pour Fool for obvious reasons; however, Tacoma FB friends of mine are livid this morning after The Arrogant Prick takes a shit on the city of Tacoma: http://blog.seattlepi.com/thepourfo...changing-face-of-washington-brewing-part-one/.

It's actually a nice write-up of a worthy Engine House #9. But his feeble attempt at self-deprecation simply comes off as more superiority --- a superiority that many of us long-time NW BAs have come to expect from the Spit, Not Swallow, All-Knowing One.

draheim, woemad and BBThunderbolt like this.
  2. woemad

woemad Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Sounds like my ex got a sex change and became a beer blogger!

Joking aside, I take a little exception to this clown myself, as I rather like T-Town. I find it more akin to my my own city of Spokane than to the metropolis of the north. Here in Spokane there's a guy who pretty much does the job of the Pour Fool. I can't recall his name, and that may be the point - he doesn't make himself the story, just reports on local beer developments without inserting his opinions. In short, he acts like a journalist. If you read something interesting, you can go to the brewery, try the beer and form your own opinion.

3. woemad

Society Trader

He's also wrong about other breweries in the state making sours and doing barrel aging. He contends three other breweries have attempted it, and all failed... Last time I visited Ramblin' Road, somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of the beers on that day were either sours, sour variations, or barrel aged. That was about 5 weeks ago. But, yeah, he probably is afraid he'll get caught in Spokane's "time warp," or maybe he thinks it's in Idaho.

draheim, Kurmaraja and BBThunderbolt like this.
  4. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Apr 8, 2008 Washington

You are talking about Rick Bonino. His blog is called ON TAP. He does a killer job reporting on Spokane's beer scene and we are lucky to have him.

chinochino and woemad like this.
  5. woemad

Society Trader

I'm ashamed to say that I only recently stumbled across his blog, but I've found it a tremendous fount of information about the local beer scene.

6. draheim

draheim Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

A thread we all can agree on

sharpski likes this.
  7. SeaAle

SeaAle Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

I wonder who the 3 breweries are that he's referring to.

8. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Kevin Pierce at Anacortes Brewing has been cranking out sours for a few years now, and doing a nice job with them. But, because they are a lowly "IPA/Amber/Stout/Pale" brewery our boy couldn't possible be bothered to go check them out.

Plus, I have a theory: BuckeyeOne is The Pour Fool, and he just trolled us into generating clicks for him. Well played Buckeye!

9. woemad

Society Trader

Whoever he's talking about they "failed" so I'm guessing he doesn't think they're worthy of dwelling on.

10. draheim

Society

Those are fighting words

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  11. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Possibly Wild Earth in Roslyn? BTW, was at Whitewall Brewing in Marysville a few days ago, and they've got Wild Earth's brew system, and they'll be increasing production soon. Owner at Whitewall says he expects the guy from Wild Earth to reopen within a year, or as soon as he can get some capital behind him.

Kurmaraja likes this.
  12. woemad

Society Trader

Wow, I've totally forgotten about Wild Earth. I seem to recall a thread a couple of years ago where it sounded like they had some really wild expectations about growth. Is that what did them in? Or was it the fact that whenever I drove west on I-90, I'd left the 'kan so early they weren't open yet, and heading back east I'd got on the road too late and had to get my ass back pronto (since things are generally my fault, I should probably go with the latter).

13. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I stopped by Wild Earth once and bought a bottle of theirs at the big fruit stand west of Ellensburg along I-90. Good stuff.

14. SeaAle

Is this guy still an active member here? What was his username? Maybe he can fill us in on the failed breweries. A lot of breweries will do a wild ale every once in awhile, but I don't recall anyone trying to do it on a regular basis and failing.

15. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Just my guesses here, so keep the appropriate amount of salt handy: Roslyn doesn't seem to be a craft beer hotbed, and it's really near anything (although, it's not truly far either), so I don't think he was getting a ton of local sales. IIRC, he was maybe a one man show over there, so brewing, running the tasting room, and trying to get what product he could kept him pretty busy. The guys at Whitewall (very nice folks BTW, I strongly suggest stopping in for a few of their tasty brews) seem to think that we'll be hearing from him sooner, rather than later, but we will be hearing from him again.

woemad likes this.
  16. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

My GF lives in Tacoma and I go up that way quite a bit... so I'm fairly familiar with the craft beer scene there, and I'm a fan. With the exception of the Parkway Tavern (which I used to go to all the time), most every place else in town has upped it's game of late, and a number of new places have cropped up as well (Narrows Brewing, Pint Defiance, Amocat, etc.). I also like how accessible everything is; how quick and relatively easy it is to get around town (unlike Seattle, where the GF used to live).

That being said, I'm not the least bit bothered by this article, and I confess I don't understand why your friends would be. I could pretty much care less what the PF thinks or has to say about anything (beer or otherwise), and I guess I just assumed that everyone else feels the same way. Frankly, the only topic he seems to be an expert on, is his own brillance, which he's happy to go on about at length.

Glancing over this latest article, I had the same reaction I always have when I read his stuff. My first thought is always "yep, reads like a typical PF article." Then after reading over a few more lines, my next reaction is always the same "who cares? Where's the exit prompt?"

17. SeaAle

I would think people from Tacoma are pretty used to the insults by now. It does seem like they kind of live in the own world there though. I notice at a lot of the beer festivals the Tacoma breweries never participate. Looking at the beer list for Saturday's Cask fest, only Harmon is participating.

18. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

E9 is generally at Belgianfest, and usually with some damn tasty brew. And, I think most of them show up for the Fathers Day fest. But yeah, I'd like to see them stretch their collective legs a bit more. It's a straight shot up I-5 to exit 253 (downtown Bellingham).:wink:

19. SeaAle

Even E9 didn't make it to this years BelgianFest.

20. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

:slight_frown:

SeaAle likes this.
  21. BuckeyeOne

/end thread

22. Spud8610

Spud8610 Jan 23, 2013 Washington

Tacoma full of rednecks? He's obviously never been to the eastern side of washington, last I was in tacoma downtown was in the process of renovation and numerous other places as well.
    Tacoma reminds of the outer areas of portland just not quite as diverse

23. draheim

Society

Well thanks to this thread I gave the Pour Fool a click tonight, one more than he normally would have gotten. Once again he can direct his editor to the click count as justification for keeping him on the payroll. I blame @BuckeyeOne.

First, he says brewer Shane Johns is "maybe 35." Isn't this guy supposed to be a journalist? What happened to asking your subject a simple question for a story you're writing?

Also, I was not aware that the "titanic" La Folie was "the sour ale standard for US fans" ... different strokes I guess.

And if E9 really is in this guy's "literal back yard," at least now we all know where we can find him (or avoid him).

Comments are closed? Can I assume then that there were comments at one point, and that perhaps they were not all kind to our favorite wayward buffoon?

But he did one good thing: made me more eager to try E9's beer. So there's that I guess.

BBThunderbolt and jag21 like this.
  24. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja May 21, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Well that sucks that you didn't tell me Ramblin' Road was worth a visit BEFORE I drove through Spokane on my way out of Washington. :-)

25. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja May 21, 2013 California
    Society Trader

It's a pretty odd comment. I've had a coffee sour from Black Raven that was really interesting, a few of the Big Al's Time Capsules that were solid, the last couple batches of sour kettle and gose from Fremont have been great, Snipes occasionally makes an awesome sour, Le Fat from Silver City was pretty damned good and, oh ... wait ... only three?

BBThunderbolt and sharpski like this.
  26. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Nov 16, 2010 Washington

No mention of Red Peak?

vurt, NickThePyro and distantmantra like this.
  27. distantmantra

Trader

That's a name I haven't heard for a long time... a long time...

28. BuckeyeOne

I was planning a super-secret Red Peak bottle share...

sergeantstogie likes this.
  29. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Wait, you're the reason there's a RP shortage? You really are Steven Body, aren't you?

30. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Nov 16, 2010 Washington

We've said too much

BuckeyeOne likes this.
  31. BuckeyeOne

One bottle. But that one bottle can be shared with like a 100 people.

32. CaptainQ

CaptainQ Feb 17, 2013 Washington

Only if JC attends said share.

33. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Apr 8, 2008 Washington

I still have some RP from the last time I was in Yakima. Been waiting to crack open my last Britikka Bruin.

34. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

RP is the best joke ever played on beer geeks.

35. NickThePyro

NickThePyro Dec 24, 2012 Washington

Or so you think... Henry is still hiding in his trailer on the reservation.

BuckeyeOne and BBThunderbolt like this.
  36. distantmantra

Trader

I don't know what you're talking about. I've got some Red Peak bottles in my garage. Just waiting for the right time to crack them open.

37. TheeWalrusHunter

Yes me too.

...Right next to the batch 1 Hogwarts Butterbeer and a sixer of Pawtucket Patriot

38. distantmantra

Trader

Sounds like someone is just jealous.

39. TheeWalrusHunter

hahaha.

I always thought the best way to create a surefire brewery was to open it in the middle of nowhere and call it Red Peak.

40. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Henry don't like the hype! Remember the time he stopped brewing for 9 months because we were giving him too much attention? We don't want a repeat now, do we?

BuckeyeOne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.