The process behind Lagunitas Born "Again" Yesterday

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jbrews, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (283) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

This is intriguing to me, not just the taste but this process they've worked on.

Does anyone in brewing have any idea what the process could be to keep wet hops, well, wet hops after months and months.

I thought Lupy powder was going to be the next trend but this seems to be next level.

Anyone tried the new release yet and is this being distributed to our area again?

Thoughts on this process?

I also add that I had two VERY distinct bather of my "Born Yesterday" in the fall. Both in appearance and taste. I preferred the hazier batch I bought first over the send purchase I made which looked and tasted much different. People indicated it had to do with either being from the brewery in CA or East Coast.

-----

https://lagunitas.com/beers/bornagainyesterday

An UnFiltered Born Again Pale Ale for all the wet hop lovers!

We’ve discovered that the Lagunitas brewers are part time alchemists... they’ve figured out how to keep wet hops wet all freakin’ year long! The next beer in our 2016 #OneHitter Series is this Born Again Yesterday Pale Ale, which features a delicious concoction of wet hops, reborn and unfiltered into our Born Yesterday Pale Ale. Congrats... It’s a beer again!

MORE ABOUT THE FREAKIN’ WET HOPS: To figure out this brand new wet hop preservation process, we had to forget everything that we already knew about how hops are processed and preserved. We tried 5 or 6 different things to try and achieve this process (some of which failed miserably), then we discovered a relatively simple process that deliberately did all the things that the textbooks told us not to do.

This new proprietary process involves a lot of time and money, and even more thinking about hops and freshness in new ways. From all of this, we found a brand-spankin’-new way to preserve the hops, fresh from the Yakima Valley trellises, first born during harvest season into the Born Yesterday last fall, and reborn into this scary new next step, the Born Again Yesterday Pale Ale, six months later, to the beer in your hands today

2. TheBirdSanc

TheBirdSanc Aspirant (211) May 23, 2012 Massachusetts

if i had to venture a guess i'd say it's probably very similar to the live resin technique:

1) Run the material as fast and as cold as possible. A very quick, cold extraction process prevents the material from thawing out, which is the most common reason for harsh, green-tinted oil.

2) Freeze the column. Keeping the steel column extremely cold keeps the material inside as cold as the butane, making the whole process much cleaner. (Please note that this step depends on the closed-loop extractor being used, as some are unsuitable for such low temperatures, and the extreme cold may cause seals or clamps to rupture.)

3) Use only top-quality frozen whole plants rather than trim. Though it’s possible to get a decent-quality live resin from well-maintained trim, the very process of slicing into the plant with scissors creates openings that allow more chlorophyll to leach out during the extraction. If the plant is harvested quickly (with most of the guard leaves left on), this allows it to get into the freezer much sooner—locking in as much chlorophyll as possible and resulting in less terpene loss.

4) Store live resin in a wine cooler or refrigerator to maintain the texture for as long as possible. The cool, low-humidity environment of a wine cooler presents the ideal conditions for curing and storing live resin. Aside from significantly slowing (or altogether stopping) the nucleation (autobuddering) process that it usually undergoes, keeping live resin in cold storage for months can produce a more interesting, pungent product (much like curing dried flowers or aging wine).

video of the originator, kind bill, explaining the process:
    https://fbdownloader.info/videos/1274611135954682

3. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (204) Jan 27, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

They had it at redstones as of yesterday. It's delicious.

Ganglani likes this.
  4. meefmoff

meefmoff Aspirant (265) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Damn, people weren't kidding. Whatever the heck they're doing with the hops it's working because I don't believe I've ever had a nationally distributed beer with this kind of nose. Nice bit of bitterness to go with the fruit too.

I had more or less stopped buying Lagunitas a couple years back, but 12th of Never, High West, and this has me back on the train. I guess those Heineken folks know what they're doing ;)

ETA: I got mine at Pemberton Farms and they had 6 or 7 twelve packs out on the floor ($20 each).

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  5. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (267) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

The quality to price ratio on this one is phenomenal. Great beer, even more so considering it's $10 a six pack.

meefmoff likes this.
  6. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Zealot (599) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

There's now 4 twelve packs left...but I only snagged one.

Thanks for the tip! I was having trouble finding this actually.

meefmoff likes this.
  7. meefmoff

meefmoff Aspirant (265) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Well, since you originally turned me on to Pemberton Farms in the first place we are now even!

Any further tips will be billed at the usual rate :)

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  8. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (174) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Has anyone seen this in Metrowest?

9. Trull

Trull Initiate (132) Dec 24, 2016 Massachusetts

Supposedly getting delivered tomorrow....we'll see

Capt_Quint likes this.
  10. cmurphycode

cmurphycode Initiate (36) Oct 3, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Wegmans Westwood is out of refrigerated 6 but has a lot of 12 pks on the floor for 19.

11. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (283) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Hoping to find this in So NH

12. Auror

Auror Defender (633) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It's out in limited amounts as of last week, 12-pack only.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe