The States with the most craft breweries in 2017

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BeerGlassesCollector, Oct 11, 2018.

1. BeerGlassesCollector

BeerGlassesCollector Zealot (521) Nov 11, 2002 Cyprus
    Trader

Premo88, smbslt, LGHT and 4 others like this.
  2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,711) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

It appears that Colorado is the 'purple' state: purple on both maps.

Cheers!

eppCOS likes this.
  3. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,469) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Very cool. I love staying updated on this kind of information.

4. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,884) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Missouri is doing pretty good on number of breweries, but not so hot on breweries per capita. Interesting stuff. In fact, both Dakotas beat out us on breweries per capita. Just goes to show how parts of Missouri can be so sparse.

FBarber and HorseheadsHophead like this.
  5. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (385) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Man, we must have a lot of really small breweries. 330 seems like a lot. Cool to see michigan near the top though.

beersampler6 likes this.
  6. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (448) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

We need this as a % of state population.

States like Cali might be ranked at the bottom.

Amendm likes this.
  7. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,582) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

NoDak and MissySippy need to up their games. A bit surprised to see that my old home state, NY, is almost close to my current home state, WA.

8. beertunes

Trader

Well, the Dakotas probably have fewer folks than y'all do.

Bitterbill and Harrison8 like this.
  9. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Defender (600) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Trader

Breweries per capita just mainly means not that many folks live there - not really a bragging stat.

Isn't that what the bottom chart is about? The adult population, they didn't include the children.

maximum12, JohnDon and beertunes like this.
  10. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,303) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

The 2nd map. California is lower, but not at the bottom. North Dakota isn't bad per capita, Mississippi still is worst.
    [​IMG]

eppCOS, bigstar87 and Lazhal like this.
  11. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,386) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

After Founders and Bell's the size deminished rapidly. According to the MayJune issue of the MI Beer Guide there are 45 more breweries over 1000 barrels. So that means 85% are "small" if 1000 is the cutoff.

Nationwide there are ~72% below 1000 bbls according to the BA. I think MI has two big breweries skewimg the numbers from the national trend.

Lahey likes this.
  12. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Aspirant (299) Apr 2, 2011 Maine

Not surprised to see Maine #2 on the per capita list. We’ve got like a million people here and seemingly a brewery on every corner.

13. waltari

waltari Initiate (56) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

Not surprised that GA is at the bottom. The best brewery here is mediocre at best.

LuskusDelph and winehead247 like this.
  14. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Savant (901) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

Breweries require people to A. Start them
    B. Staff them
    and C. Keep them in Business

For that reason I'd argue its a more impressive stat. Less people means less total support coming from locals. Gotta import our business from outside the state. With so many breweries per person the competition is fierce.

Harrison8 likes this.
  15. beertunes

Trader

I've had 8 of the top 100 rated brews, and liked 'em all (even Wake n Bake, and I hate coffee). I think y'all are doing just fine.

ovaltine, sharpski, cavedave and 2 others like this.
  16. BayAreaJoe

Trader

Honestly, I'm not exactly sure how your points work in with the Breweries Per Capita chart. Impressive stat? Hardly. From the chart, you'd thing Montana and Wyoming are booming with craft breweries, but there's less than 100 in the two states together, encompassing all that area. I'll just stay out here in Cali with our 700+ breweries and low per capita chart numbers for whatever those are worth.

17. readyski

readyski Aspirant (229) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

Perhaps breweries per square mile could be more useful information :thinking_face:

Nevertheless I couldn't help but notice some geopolitical and cultural relationships.

THANAT0PSIS and BayAreaJoe like this.
  18. stingray

stingray Disciple (367) Jun 23, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

I don't feel the need to pick which map is more important. They're both interesting and informative and worthwhile. As mentioned above, I would also be interested to see each state's craft beer production in volume.

sharpski likes this.
  19. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,343) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

No map - which themselves are somewhat "deceptive" since, obviously, in many cases much of the beer of a number of states' brewers, like #1 PA w/ +million barrel breweries like Yuengling and BBC or #2 CA (Stone & Sierra Nevada), is shipped out of state - but as the article in the OP states:
    the B.A.'s page lists every state's "Barrels of Craft Beer Produced per Year".

BeerGlassesCollector likes this.
  20. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,303) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

Do you know if the BA's stats split up a brewery's barrelage if they have multiple locations?

For example is Yuengling's barrelage split between PA and Florida? With Florida ranking 4th on the volume list, that seems likely.

21. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (167) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey

Mississippi is the WORST! Honestly if you look up any list about any topic there is a good chance Mississippi will be at or near the bottom. Except for maybe backwoods hicks per square mile :grin:

HorseheadsHophead and kinopio like this.
  22. jesskidden

Yeah, that's what it looks like to me, too. Same for Ohio's 1.3M bbl. - most of which is probably BBC's Cincinnati brewery.

jmdrpi likes this.
  23. hopfenunmaltz

They list the different locations, as those have different licenses. For example there are several in Michigan that have a Brewpub, and a Production facility.

You can find the listing for each state here. It takes a while to load the data. You might have to look closely. Yuengling is listed as D.G. Yuengling & Sons, as that is how they are registered. The Sam Adams PA brewery is not under Boston Beer, but as Samuel Adams Pennsylvania Brewing Co. So have fun looking through it. 8671 breweries are listed, but the database includes Breweries in Planning.

https://www.brewersassociation.org/directories/breweries/

drtth and jmdrpi like this.
  24. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (545) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

But those 700+ breweries aren't nearly as accessible to people as the breweries in a place like Vermont. California is so big and distribution within the state can be so variable that just because a beer is made in California, doesn't necessarily mean all Californians can get it. That's been a common complaint from Californians for over a decade about Russian River beers.I f you can't get the beer, what's the point? I'm not saying there aren't good breweries there, but I don't think a maximum number tells the whole story, nor do I think breweries per capita tells the whole story either.

When looking at totals of things by state, California is #1 a lot of categories often due to their overall size/population as much or more than other factors. If you want to ignore that statistical realities to brag about your breweries, fine, but then you're not allowed to use per capita rates for stuff you may not want to brag about. For example, total murders by state, which California has more of than any other state by a very wide margin.

Harrison8, cavedave and JackHorzempa like this.
  25. BayAreaJoe

Trader

The only ones trying to brag are the folks from states with a high breweries per capita number, and I simply pointed out that generally just means not that many folks live there and is really not a bragging stat. I don't see the point in bragging on statistics, especially pretty meaningless ones.

Obviously I don't see the relevance of your last point.

26. jesskidden

Yeah, but they no longer breakdown their barrelage figures by individual brewery, as they did up into the mid-2000's

Example from 2008 New Brewer Annual Industry Review (so before BBC bought the old Schaefer/Stroh brewery outside Allentown, PA and still relied on contract-brewing - mostly Miller/Eden and City/Latrobe at this time IIRC).

[​IMG]
    Obviously, the Yuengling stats are estimates (that's what the "1" footnote represents) so not particularly informative...

27. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,201) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

Wyoming, 24 breweries in 2017? Does not compute.

28. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (105) Feb 25, 2013 California

if you throw wineries into the mix, West Coast is looking mighty fine. It's pretty sweet to have the best of both worlds.

stevepat likes this.
  29. mudbug

mudbug Zealot (581) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

Again, this only goes to show how comparing states to each other is just about like a broken pencil, pointless.

cavedave likes this.
  30. rgordon

rgordon Champion (858) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Oregon, Washington, and Michigan are most notable. North Carolina casting off of antiquated laws in about '05 was seminal.. This law allowed the sale of beer above 6% abv. Everything here broke loose after that. There are fine breweries spread through the fabric of our modern culture, in locales far and wide.

beertunes likes this.
  31. hopfenunmaltz

Oregon and Washington have long been in the top 5, as those states were not far from CA, and had some of the first micros and brewpubs.. Michigan has been up there for a long time, and has swapped positions with NY some years.

32. rgordon

rgordon Champion (858) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I know, but relative to the other western states, the per capita numbers could be misleading. The reason that I cite Oregon, Washington, and Michigan is because, even though breweries are popping up everywhere, these states have been long time leaders in the growth and perpetuation of really good local beer. They should continue to be noted, lauded, and appreciated. My point is simply that these are good days for beer.

Spikester, sharpski and cavedave like this.
  33. beertunes

Trader

Fine then. Pick your favorite brewery in VT, and draw a 760 mile radius around it. how common will the distribution be in that circle? Because that's the distance from Yreka (which is more than a few miles south of the border) to San Diego. And that's as close as a straight shot as you can get. to hold common distro up as a standard is unrealistic. You really expect folks in Erie PA to have the same access to Hill Farmstead as some one in Burlington?

http://www.statsamerica.org/radius/big.aspx

34. hopfenunmaltz

I agree with that. This year I appreciate d the beers in WA and OR again.

rgordon likes this.
  35. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (237) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

States with the highest percent of white people=states with high breweries per capita?

36. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (486) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

I was recently in California, and despite having 700 breweries, the beer available at local liquor stores wasn't terribly exciting. The best breweries I went to in the area didn't distribute AT ALL. You had to go to the physical locations to pick up beer- yeah that's pretty common in a lot of places I'd suppose. Plus I found there were very few specialty shops because the grocery stores eat up so much of the sales volume.

And yes California has some of the best beer ever. If you are willing to drive all over the place for it.

37. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (486) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

Uh, not sure where you got that from but that's hardly true. Colorado is more diverse than Wyoming but 2x the per capita breweries. More diverse than North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Nebrasky, Kentucky, or Kansas.

The two MAY be vaguely correlated, but not really. There's far too many factors at play here. If one put a huge number of factors into a simulation, you could probably come up with a pretty accurate model. You'd have to put religious factors, economic factors, college education, and tourism is a big one as well.

38. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (422) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Agreed and I’ll add that I heard something about the distribution laws being favorable to the small guys here being a big factor, at least early on... this is purely anecdotal though, but I think there’s some validity to it

39. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (237) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Well yeah, minorities tend to be more religious, poorer, and less educated as well.

40. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (256) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

True in so many ways.