The Veil Brewing - Richmond

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Arsenal_MC, Apr 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emr25

emr25 Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2011 Georgia

Does anyone here have authority to approve join requests for the RVA Tastes & Trades Facebook group? I'm hoping to setup some IP trades for 6/18, really interested in some cans from The Veil. I requested to join a few days ago but so far nothing.

Thanks! Is it pretty busy at the brewery on Saturday late evenings? And is draft pretty limited at that point or will they typically have a decent selection available?

2. TomCat11

TomCat11 Pooh-Bah (2,062) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You may want to cancel the request to join the group and do it again so the guy sees it. I think there is only 1 Admin and not sure how they have approvals setup. I know it does not allow any member to approve requests

Weekends are fairly busy but the inside is pretty sizable so it spreads people out nicely. I think they do a great job serving everyone with very little wait and late evening should not be too packed. As for draft, I think they learned their lesson from a couple weeks ago when they only had Crucial Taunt available over a weekend that they will make sure to have enough kegged off of whatever is released in cans next week along with a couple others. They are on top of their social media and tend to post on Thurs/Fri what they will have to tap and assure people there will be enough to carry the weekend. Probably 4-6 taps. And keep in mind the will never do growlers and don't do flights. it's either 1/2 pours (6oz) or full pours (12oz). if it's limited amount left then they will just offer the 6oz pour but if they do offer both then consider doing full as it's only $2 more for the full pour vs. the 1/2.

oldn00b and emr25 like this.
  3. emr25

Thanks for the insight on typical Saturday evenings. I will cancel and retry the join request for the RVA Facebook group.

TomCat11 likes this.
  4. Shilt

Shilt Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2011 Virginia

I'll let my buddy know, he runs the group. I might be able to help you out with next weeks releases. I should be getting there around 4 or 430, and am happy to set something up depending, as I typically don't max out my allocations anyway. Feel free to shoot me a message.

emr25 likes this.
  5. Vorsprung

Vorsprung Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2015 Virginia

Yea, I will give them props for social media updates. They are very good about giving helpful information almost as it is happening. Can't say that about many places in RVA.

TomCat11 likes this.
  6. TomCat11

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Looked like you may have gotten more than you could handle on the post. Hopefully you were able to keep up with what appeared to be a PM explosion!

emr25 likes this.
  7. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Maven (1,451) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Looks like Dirt Nap is returning next week (with some fancy new artwork, too!). Is it safe to assume that they'll be releasing another set of cans, or two? Or given the fact that Dirt Nap is a double batch should I assume that that's the only can released next week? Any thoughts?

8. HopHead32

HopHead32 Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2014 Maryland

Have they done a can release every Tuesday? Ill be down there on the 21st and with my luck that will be the Tuesday they dont do one.

9. TomCat11

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I would expect at least 1 more can but who knows since this will be their first double batch and how much time/equipment that took up. Since it is a double batch I would expect at least 160 cases of just this maybe since it's typically 80-100 cases of some cans each week. What, IMO, defeats the purpose of the double batch and their stating from day one they want to get cans into as many locals hands as possible is that they will also increase limits. I sound like a broken record but they should keep the limits low even with the double batches so more people can get it. Their wanting to get cans into customer hands as soon as possible (because freshest is the bestest) as well as the wanting to give as many locals the chance to try their beer seems to contradict itself. Regardless, they will not have a problem selling out whatever the total count is within 1-3 days if they did it. For the 2nd can I would expect Crucial Aunt (Mango Crucial Taunt). Both were brewed within a day of one another with a roughly 3 week turnaround.

[​IMG]
    Artwork for the Dirt Nap cans

Every Tuesday at 4pm is their release schedule and cans have just about sold out within 2-3 hours of release. That's when they have booked with the mobile canning vendor each week and they commit to releasing beer on the same day it is being canned. They have done 1 Wednesday before but that was right after they opened. People usually line up around 2 or so but so long as you get there around 4:30 on release day you should be fine getting full allotment of whatever they are releasing.

#269 TomCat11, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    Vorsprung, oldn00b and HopHead32 like this.
  10. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

Ok fuck it, I'm knocking off work early on Tuesday and driving down for that.

HopHead32 likes this.
  11. William_Navidson

Trader

Dirt Nap (probably the one I've most wanted to try besides Sleeping Forever) and Crucial Aunt would make for an awesome release, next week.

TomCat11 likes this.
  12. oldn00b

oldn00b Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2015 Virginia

I'll see you guys there!

If they won't have Crucial Taunt (since I've never tried it) Dirt Nap is definitely my first choice. I really hope they keep the limits semi low. Forget selling out the next day - how about just don't sell out in 2.5 hours! I just want a few 4 packs to share with some friends over the weekend.

13. beernuts

I personally like Dirt Nap more than Crucial Taunt, and I know I'm not the only one.

oldn00b likes this.
  14. emr25

Ha! I worked a few things out and tried to at least reply to everyone letting them know that I'm set for now but will get in touch if something falls through.

Needless to say I'm excited to get to bring home a lot of cans from The Veil. It's our last stop before heading home to Georgia the next morning and it is setting up to be one of my favorite stops of the trip!

Thanks again for the help.

TomCat11 likes this.
  15. ncaudle

ncaudle Initiate (0) May 28, 2010 Virginia

most people seem to be saying that, while it's amongst my least fav of the Veil beers so far (that I've had)...

16. TomCat11

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I would agree with that. Dirt Nap has been my favorite so far (of the ones I have had) following by Shredder and then Crucial making the podium.

17. William_Navidson

Trader

IdonteverwanttoBU is my favorite so far, I think. Broz Day Off is up there as well, and I don't hear many people talking about that one.

18. beernuts

I loved both of those, and Shredder as well.

19. CavemanRamblin

CavemanRamblin Initiate (0) Jun 19, 2014 North Carolina
    Deactivated

Dirt Nap was awesome the first go-round, adding more Nelson to it (my favorite hop) sounds ridiculous. Hopefully I can get up there and try it on draft before it's gone.

20. manbearpack

manbearpack Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2013 Texas

Darn I was hoping that Dirt Nap would wait another week, hopefully someone could save some for an in line trade, I'm planning on being at the 6/21 release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.