The Veil Brewing - Richmond

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Arsenal_MC, Apr 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomCat11

TomCat11 Zealot (531) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Last update was about 20 minutes ago with someone stating 30-40.

downesadam likes this.
  2. RBowers

RBowers Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Virginia

There's about 50 people in line. It's fairly warm out here, there's a heavy set guy near me sweating like the polar ice caps.

3. TomCat11

Trader

I'm surprised they did not schedule a food truck to swing by beginning around lunch like they did a while back. Cannot re-call if it was the Dirt Nap release or not but they had a food truck around 1 and then ice cream truck came a couple hours later. With a release they knew was going to be highly attended (and early arrivers) I was expecting that.

oldn00b likes this.
  4. TomCat11

Trader

Uh oh! The mobile canner is having some problems. Just posted this to their page.
    To those of you waiting in line at Veil Brewing today, I want to apologize for the prolonged wait in line for the can release. Our newest canning line is not performing up to expectations and us causing significant delays. We are working as best we can to maintain quality while getting the beer out as fast ad possible.

5. oldn00b

oldn00b Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2015 Virginia

I'm pretty sure it was dirt nap day. Doesn't seem like it's quite there - unless the line quadrupled in the last 30 minutes they're far from the 200+ people that were in line by 3PM on Dirt Nap day.

Or, maybe more people realize now you don't have to show up that early to get a full allotment. Still, sounds like waiting it out is the right call today with canning issues - they're so vague though that update's not really even helpful.

TomCat11 likes this.
  6. TomCat11

Trader

Another update by Veil.They must have had some major loss (unless they are still canning more than just Cheryl Cheryl). Original forecast was 195-215 cases of IdontwanttoBU and 165-180 cases of Daddy's Home. LOL Tho is definitely final count since they did that one last night.
    -Daddy's Home - 100 cases-limit is now 3x 4-packs per person
    -LOL Tho - 40 cases-limit is now 1x 4-pack
    -Cheryl Cheryl - we are JUST starting to can this. We should have cans available when we open at 4pm. You might have to wait. Limit is now 2x 4-packs per person.

Here's today's draft:
    -Lord Lord Shredder Shredder
    -Eternal Shredder
    -Child Support(Mosaic)
    -LOL Tho
    -Daddy's Home
    -IdontwanttoBU
    -Cheryl Cheryl

#686 TomCat11, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  7. downesadam

downesadam Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2016 Maryland

Well that blows. 80 ish people in line. Wonder what "significant delays" means.

8. oldn00b

Looks like a lot more than 80 in line from the last photo posted - are there really that few people in line at this point?

9. TomCat11

Trader

And now the ticket release schedule has been posted.

Today 8/16 @ 4PM - 50 tickets
    Tomorrow 8/17 @ 4PM - 20 tickets
    Thursday 8/18 @ 4PM - 20 tickets
    Friday 8/19 @ 4PM - 30 tickets
    Saturday 8/20 @ 12PM - 100 tickets

We believe this is the most fair for everyone interested. Both local(immediate Richmond area), and non-local(not Richmond) parties will be able to plan accordingly and have the most opportunities as possible. First come, first serve. 2pp. $100. Non-refundable, but transferable. Hope to see y'all soon!

10. wordupmagazine

wordupmagazine Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2014 Sweden
    Deactivated

In case people missed it, they said in a comment reply that they'll be "much shorter" on cans than initially anticipated - sounds like the above case counts might be pretty final :slight_frown:

11. oldn00b

I doubt anyone was getting in line for Cheryl only but to lose that much of the OH collab is a real bummer. I bet they sell out of everything around 6PM.

12. downesadam

No Cheryl being sold is what I'm hearing.

jwd3 likes this.
  13. RBowers

RBowers Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Virginia

My wife's an engineer, she told me to specify that she is a mechanical engineer, but whatever, she laughed in a condescending manner towards your comment.

14. Kyleetrotter

Kyleetrotter Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2014 Pennsylvania

We were about 50th in line today. They were not selling Cheryl Cheryl at open but right after we got our allotment and a quick pour, they started selling them and let us grab ours without having to get back in line (thank god, because it was hellish outside). Not sure how long it lasted for after we left.

Maybe I'm completely oblivious, but why would they can all 4 beers the morning of release? Why not work hard all day the day before, or on Tuesdays (whenever their mobile canning company is contracted to be there) and get a solid day of production without compromising the beer itself. Wait till the next day and release it from now on. Sitting on it in a cooler for 1 day isn't going to hurt anybody.

15. Vikings1201

Vikings1201 Aspirant (228) Sep 8, 2012 North Carolina
    Trader

I have a feeling this going to change especially since they are now closed on Mondays.

downesadam and oldn00b like this.
  16. downesadam

Yes. I think this is a big reason why they are closed Mondays moving forward.

17. TomCat11

Trader

Good to hear they let you grab Cheryl Cheryl even after getting cans. I saw a couple people post how upset they were b/c they got the other 3 cans and left before that was finally released. And it read like they were not doing a waiting list for that but did end up doing one for Daddy's Home.

Echo what the others have said about probably canning Monday going forward. I think at first, Tuesday's was the only day ODC could get them on the schedule weekly because of their other accounts. Appears that may have opened up a little now and it's great timing based on their issues today.

Excluding what is being held for Waiting List this is what Veil posted as being available going into today's opening. (Limits based on yesterday so unless they change that going into today this is what they are)

- Daddy's Home: 21 cases (3 4pk limit)
    - IdintwanttoBU: 70 cases (3 4pk limit)
    - Cheryl Cheryl: 2 cases (1 4pk limit)
    - LOL Tho: SOLD OUT

Summer Forever Fest Tix: 20 (2pp) to be released when they open @ 4pm

18. daveafrank

daveafrank Initiate (166) Sep 18, 2015 North Carolina
    Trader

Anyone know around when LOL Tho sold out?

19. Kyleetrotter

Kyleetrotter Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2014 Pennsylvania

As far as I can guess, they had enough for 120 people and there were easily 120 in line by the time they opened.

daveafrank likes this.
  20. oldn00b

40 x 6 = 240 at 1pp.

I know they still had it at about 6:15 - not sure if that helps.

daveafrank likes this.
  21. KRubes

KRubes Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2014 North Carolina
    Society

oldn00b, montman and downesadam like this.
  22. reidjoshua

reidjoshua Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 California

Just finished reading that article actually. I had no idea the head brewer had such a great history of brewing at all those spots. No wonder I had my San Diego buddies asking me if I can trade for any Veil before I had even heard of them. The beer nerds have really enjoyed what they've received out here so far. Hopefully I'll be able to grab some cans or crowlers during the Forever Summer festival weekend. If not, will be making a trek to Answer Brewpub for some and see what's in bottle at Hardywood.

Shilt likes this.
  23. oldn00b

The pictures in that are simply gorgeous - The Veil looks great to start with but those photos are otherworldly.

The Veil does crowlers but only pre-fills and infrequently. Good chance cans will be sold for the week come Forever Summer day but there are times one or two hold over to the weekend. I'm positive you can set up in person trades for the releases from the Tuesday(s) before though if that's what you meant - just didn't want you to show up expecting a lot of cans to be for sale.

24. reidjoshua

reidjoshua Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 California

Yea, I haven't gotten any bites at my IP trade post, but thinking (fingers-crossed) maybe they'll have something special for us to purchase for the festival-goers. If not, no biggie.

#704 reidjoshua, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  25. TomCat11

Trader

Veil just posted an update of what will be available at opening today.
    - LOL Tho - SOLD OUT

- 20 Summer Fest Tix to be sold at 4pm (2pp)

Here's today's draft list:

- Lord Lord Shredder Shredder-6.3%-double blood orange double dry-hopped IPA
    - Eternal Shredder-8.1%-Double IPA
    - Child Support-4.5%-hoppy Pilsner with Mosaic
    - LOL Tho-8.5%-Double IPA with Amarillo
    - IdontwanttoBU-6.9%-0 IBU IPA with Citra and Mosaic
    - Daddy's Home-10.6%-collaboration with Other Half-Triple IPA with Citra, Galaxy, and Simcoe
    - Cheryl Cheryl-6.4%-double dry-hopped sour IPA

26. Jhurley1

Jhurley1 Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2011 Virginia

For your IP trade request, I'd try the Mid-Atlantic trade forum and/or the RVA and NoVA Facebook trade groups. The South-Atlantic forum doesn't seem to be that active and NoVA beer traders usually post in the mid-Atlantic forum (where DC traders post). You shouldn't have a problem getting Veil cans with your FTs. I expect a lot of NoVA beer fans to be in RVA that weekend.

oldn00b likes this.
  27. Shilt

Shilt Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2011 Virginia

Didn't see your post. Hit me up though, I'll be going to the can release next week and am happy to hook you up with some stuff for some new ticks. Chances are, cans from next Tuesday won't make it until Friday (though some could), and I live very close to Veil and will be going to Forever Summer Session A, so IP should be no issue at all. Cheers!

reidjoshua and oldn00b like this.
  28. Crim122

Crim122 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

"Theeeeeeeeerrrrrres.... No beer I like!! I'm not that much of a ipa guy and only drink Porters in the winter... It's June, and 90° outside and muggy. And that's all they have on tap! I'm here with a group of friends and I don't think they have water here. :/.
    Oh yeah, and they're Hipster AF! My eye is twitching from seeing beer being poured into wine glasses. That's not cool it's just pure unclassy."

This might be the best worst yelp review I've ever seen. "I'm going to a brewery but I dont like beer let me write a bad review".

And I often pour my stouts into a wide mouth wine glass..

#708 Crim122, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    oldn00b and downesadam like this.
  29. oldn00b

I wonder if he tried anything to decide he didn't like it or just remembers how much he hated that Red Hook IPA he tried one time.

Thank you for leading me to that - it's always fun to scroll through someone's reviews when they can't spell and everything is 1 and 2 stars until you get to a raving Chanellos review. It might very well be a trolling account, now that I read a couple more. Still made me laugh.

30. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Aspirant (249) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia

I saw a brewery review on yelp where the reason for a low score was they didn't have a radler on draft. I created an account just to call that person out.

oldn00b, jrnyc and daveafrank like this.
  31. TomCat11

Trader

Availability going into today's opening. I am shocked Daddy's Home did not sell out yesterday. Even at 1 4pk/pp they only sold to 51 people yet IdontwanttoBU sold through 32.5 cases....

- IdontwanttoBU - approx 27.5 cases left; $13+tax per 4-pack; NO LIMIT
    - Daddy's Home - approx 3.5 cases left; $17+tax per 4-pack; 1 4-pack per person

We also will be selling 20 tickets today starting at 4PM when we open our doors to Forever Summer Fest. $100 per ticket. 2 tickets per person. Choose your session. Non-refundable, but transferable.

#711 TomCat11, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    gopens44 likes this.
  32. oldn00b

With all the canning issues, weird/changing limits, added chance of the ticket drop etc. it's really hard to measure this release against the others.

33. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,349) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

@TomCat11 - thanks for the heads up on availability yesterday! I was able to swing by and get IdontwanttoBU finally, where I wouldn't have even tried had it not been for your update.

Some dude right in front of me got the last 4 pack of Daddy's home (probably was around 4:15 or so). Even though I was a little disappointed, I just chuckled it off as bad luck on my part. Person right after me (upon hearing recent outage) literally fell to his knees in despair. I feel that this was probably a bit too dramatic. Despite missing cans, I did have a quick pull of it, and based on my knowledge of Other Half, they did have IMO a significant amount of influence in it. The few Veil beers I have had haven't had the same tongue peeling effect that this one did, so I can only assume that it was an Other Half characteristic. I doubt they will do this one again, as Other Half does so many colabs, but on the off hand chance they do, I will make time to stand in line and uncharacteristically (for me at least) buy a case. It was that good.

kingkong, TomCat11 and oldn00b like this.
  34. oldn00b

I mean, really? I get being disappointed but man. What was it like when they ran out of Endless Summer tickets? I haven't heard much about people freaking out over not getting tickets since Monday's random drop.

gopens44 likes this.
  35. TomCat11

Trader

I saw the comment one person made about people showing up for tickets and turning around because there were already 10 people in line. They did not even ask the line if they were getting their limit on tix and then they in fact lasted until at least the 16th person or so. How bad would it feel if you showed up with 13 people in line and you just left because you didn't think you would be able to get tickets.

That's almost as bad as the several people who posted on Tues about the guy on the motorcycle thinking he was trying to cut in line and then posts started streaming about someone calling the guy out. I'm thinking there's at least 5 or 6 people (literally standing in line) posting in the group begging for someone to confront him. If you're afraid to be the one who does it then posse up with the other 5 and do it. I thought that was hilarious!

oldn00b and gopens44 like this.
  36. gopens44

Society Trader

I keep telling myself that the fellow was just demonstrative in general, but even cash register dude looked at him rather awkwardly..... Maybe he promised it in a trade with like the Russian mafia or something and coming up empty would cost him his leg....

Persdawg and oldn00b like this.
  37. oldn00b

I watched that too! A friend and I were texting each other about it and just watching those posts roll in. It was absolutely hilarious. I seriously just stopped what I was doing to watch the saga unfold.

That would be a valid reason. But then damn dude, get there earlier... or try another day... this isn't just beer, we're talking about your leg here!

gopens44 likes this.
  38. TomCat11

Trader

From how people were explaining the guy it seemed like he was the one who is known for showing up at Noon for a lot of the past releases and he either a) had become friends with others who also are regularly early to get in line so he was just chatting with them or b) he felt he had "earned" front line status even though he showed up later and was legitimately trying to cut up front. I don't want to judge either way but I would have been curious to know whether he truly would have went back to his place in line if he was not called out/caught (in person or social media).

39. gopens44

Society Trader

The one release I went to (must have been early July?)several folks in line were discussing the absence of a motorcycle dude. I thought nothing of it and didn't commit any RAM to details as I was just passing time by eavesdropping, but now I'm enjoying the ongoing saga even more. It can't be too long before there's a Cohen brothers movie lampooning either a beer release or the scene in general.

40. oldn00b

Yeah, if he didn't roll up and say "I'm not cutting!" there's reason to call someone out. I've been in line before where someone said "___ will be joining me but he/she won't be buying beer so isn't cutting". I've done something similar to stand and talk to someone in line I was trading with, just so folks didn't think I was skipping in. Curious to know if he'd have just left his helmet back wherever it was though if not but we'll never know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.