The Veil Brewing - Richmond

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Arsenal_MC, Apr 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlothB77

SlothB77 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2012 Virginia

I unexpectedly have the day off tomorrow. I would drive two hours down to richmond (and two hours back) if they have any cans left. But I want to know for sure before I leave. I am not driving down just for master shredder. must be broz night out available tomorrow too.

2. Jhurley1

Jhurley1 Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2011 Virginia

they are really good about updating can availability on social media. they usually post the next day by lunchtime after the release how many cases are left for sale. should have an update in a bit on what is left for you today.

SlothB77 likes this.
  3. SlothB77

thanks!

4. kingholmes

kingholmes Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2015 Virginia

Anyone have update yet?

5. SlothB77

no.

6. SlothB77

yes, update: we are a go. they have some. hitting the road now.

7. TomCat11

TomCat11 Zealot (531) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Master Shredder - 58 cases / NO LIMIT (92 cases sold yesterday)
    Broz Night Out - 54 cases / NO LIMIT (136 cases sold yesterday)

SlothB77 likes this.
  8. kingholmes

kingholmes Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2015 Virginia

Based on those numbers and past weeks results, what are the chances the supply makes it through tonight and closer to the weekend?

9. TomCat11

Trader

Thursday can availability

Broz Night Out - 17 cases / NO LIMIT
    Master Shredder - 25 cases / NO LIMIT

It's also Third Thursday. While their update earlier today said they would release details of the releasing beer soon below is the details of the event they already created previously. I'm guessing it's still accurate.

Baby Wonton. 5.8% IPA inspired by Asian cuisine. Brewed with rice, Udon noodles, and lemon grass and hopped intensely/exclusively with New Zealand Motueka hops. Limited crowlers and draft will be available.

10. TomCat11

Trader

Friday Update posted

11. TomCat11

Trader

4 cans releasing Tues. All DIPA/TIPA.
    - Can #1: Crucial Crucial Aunt Aunt
    - Can #2: ?
    - Can #3: ?
    - Can #4: ?

All cans/details to be announced by Sunday morning

12. brentk56

brentk56 Poo-Bah (10,487) May 13, 2004 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I have never been to a Veil release before but will be driving up to Richmond on Tuesday. What time do I need to get there and is it rather orderly or should I expect to wait in line for a while?

13. TomCat11

Trader

The past few have been fairly easy with lines not forming until closer to opening. With this week being all Double / Triple IPAs and possibly collab w/ Monkish being a can those lines may be early. Really depends on the case counts and limits. If they all are in the 150-200 case range then showing up at 3 or after could easily get you everything. Just may be in a line. But you can grab a draft while waiting in line as long as you are in their lot

oldn00b and brentk56 like this.
  14. brentk56

brentk56 Poo-Bah (10,487) May 13, 2004 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I wasn't thinking of getting there that early but will do what I have to do. What time does the release start?

15. KRubes

KRubes Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2014 North Carolina
    Society

That Part and Boss Man are #2 and #3 confirmed. #4 announced tomorrow.

16. TomCat11

Trader

Doors open at 4pm. If you are not worried about getting cans of everything then you will be able to try what's released on draft too. Boss Man is an estimated 90-100 cases @ 3 4pks per. So 180 people if everyone gets their max, which won't happen. You can probably show up close to open or even a little after and probably get those. Just have a wait in line. Depends on what the 4th can counts are now. They definitely will not sell out of everything Tuesday.

brentk56 likes this.
  17. HookemHoos

HookemHoos Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2013 Virginia

4 cans this week:

- crucial crucial aunt aunt - 3x 4 packs per person
    - that part - 6x 4 packs per person
    - boss man - 3x 4 packs per person
    - joooseee boizzz (collab with monkish) - 3x 4 packs per person

TomCat11 likes this.
  18. Darwensi

Darwensi Initiate (162) Sep 7, 2007 New York
    Trader

Any shade in line?

19. HookemHoos

HookemHoos Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2013 Virginia

Yeah if you're first 30-40 inline you'll be in the shade.

20. Darwensi

Trader

Niceone, thanks.

21. TomCat11

Trader

Updated numbers / limits
    CCAA : 170-200 / NO LIMIT

22. TomCat11

Trader

Already a lot of comments on social media about line updates, who's getting there when, weather forecast, etc. Appears some of the regulars are out of their few week hibernation and prepping for a long day day in line.

23. TomCat11

Trader

Last update was line just left the parking lot. Still well within the window to snag packs of all cans. Easily get allotments of Boss Man and Joooseee but that line will get long quick now that it's the final hour before open. Old Google Map pic for reference. [​IMG]

montman likes this.
  24. oldn00b

oldn00b Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2015 Virginia

I got a feeling they're gonna be changing those limits. I'd be surprised if they leave CCAA at no limit. A case each at this point would be surprising to me. With 100+ people in line already they aren't gonna let people get shut out in that first hour. Just my 2cents.

25. TomCat11

Trader

No holds barred today. Just released final info...

Promptly at 4pm we will begin sales of 4 FRESH cans in 16oz/4-pack cans. Here is some info them:
    ~That Part-8.5%-100% New Zealand Wai-iti DIPA(approx 175 cases; $15+tax/4-pack; NO LIMIT)
    ~Crucial Crucial Aunt Aunt-8.4%-double mango double dry-hopped DIPA(approx 200 cases; $18.50+tax/4-pack; NO LIMIT; 3D glasses included upon request)
    ~Boss Man-8.7%-Sour DIPA(approx 90 cases; $15+tax/4-pack; 4x 4-packs per person limit)
    ~Joooseee Boizzz-11%-triple IPA with Southern Hemisphere hops and raspberries in collaboration with Monkish Brewing Co.(approx 120 cases; $18+tax/4-pack; 4x 4-packs per person limit; bendy straws included upon request)

No holds. No over the phone purchases. Whatever is left from today's release will be NO LIMIT tomorrow.

#825 TomCat11, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    oldn00b likes this.
  26. oldn00b

Welp, guess I was wrong there. Probably gonna be some butthurt today.

27. mblackie

mblackie Initiate (86) Sep 19, 2010 California

I hopped on line at 4:10 and was at the traffic light (clay st). Got everything (at about 6:15) but juicy boys - had a pour of it wasn't overly impressed. Seems like they were gonna completely sell out of everything but that part which was pretty meh.

28. oldn00b

Yup, as of now That Part is all that's left. That's a huge release day of sales. If they can move the rest of That Part it will be their biggest release in terms of cases sold to date (I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure).

29. LuisCarruthers

LuisCarruthers Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2015 District of Columbia

i'm surprised there isn't more talk of them only using one cashier. the wait was so unnecessarily long yesterday because they only used one system. seems like they'd have it down by now.

30. oldn00b

It seems to me they were vastly underestimating the turnout yesterday. No limit on CCAA and a 4per on JB left a lot of people shut out. To make that line move, gotta have 2 cashiers and it helps if there are limits so people aren't running the gamut of custom orders.

31. daveafrank

daveafrank Initiate (166) Sep 18, 2015 North Carolina
    Trader

They've definitely had 2 cashiers in the past...seems like a bad release day to just have one.

32. montman

montman Devotee (406) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

Definitely seen some of this on social media.

Though to be fair, I just don't get the no limit thing. I mean doesn't a case limit seem more than reasonable? This would stop the hand truck people, I saw a pic of someone hauling out what appeared to be 7 cases. haha.

Crim122 likes this.
  33. Darwensi

Trader

I'm intrigued to see what happens with That Part over the coming days. Could be green/not fully developed which exacerbates the dry hopping imbalance. Loving that spice note tho.

34. PaleCale

PaleCale Initiate (147) Mar 26, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Knowing that there's no perfect way to supply these beers, I think the no limit policy does a few things. First, it allows folks making the trip from a distance to "share the wealth" - people from VA Beach/DC/NC can load up and then distribute locally via trades, etc., building the brand outside of central VA where it's already well-established. Second, it helps drive turnout on the first day and probably helps them move less sought-after releases via spillover when the potential of a collab/DIPA selling out exists. Third, from a forecasting standpoint, the no limit policy gives better insight into the true amount that Veil could sell if there weren't supply capacity constraints. Thus, if/when they increase scale and capacity, they'll have better data to help them decide which and how much of any of these beers to make again. My two cents.

montman likes this.
  35. montman

montman Devotee (406) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

I definitely see all that and I really do not want to get into a serious limits debate because it is not that important to me personally.

However it is my opinion that a case per beer limit is a lot of beer, and would still mostly accomplish those same points, while not encouraging/enableling the more negative aspects like the gouging re-selling we have seen online, etc, etc.

#835 montman, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  36. LuisCarruthers

LuisCarruthers Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2015 District of Columbia

there is no way to please everyone at these releases and Veil is doing way more right than wrong but I agree on the limits. a case limit is more than enough and for something like a monkish collab 4 is definitely high. for every one good BAer muling a bunch back to a different city there are 3+ people jumping on reddit and BA right after the release to try and pull in Treehouse with joooseee.

37. TomCat11

Trader

What's left for today's 4pm opening. 573 total cases sold yesterday.
    - Joooseee Boizzz -
    SOLD OUT (120 cases sold yesterday)

38. oldn00b

I'm convinced they just misread the interest in this release. They sold 573 cases yesterday which, I'm as sure as I can be, is their highest release day sales to date (two of those were $18+ 4 packs so also betting their highest sales day in terms of revenue too).

CA was released once on Dirt Nap day and sold out first (if you weren't in line by 3:10) - they should have known the hype is bigger behind the MS and CT variants even before throwing a collaboration in the mix (Monkish impressed a lot of us at Forever Summer). They had a ton more CA, sure, and not everyone took multiple cases obviously. But one person taking 4 cases back to wherever means plenty of folks who wanted a couple four packs missed out. A limit of a case or two helps here. It does not help that they announced CCAA, NO LIMITS as far out as the Saturday before the Tuesday release - gives people way more time to think "This is totally worth the drive if I can get beer for these 10 other people".

The collaboration limit could have been dropped from 4 to 3 easily (like they did for Daddy's Home) - instead of 180 people getting 16 cans, 240 people could have gotten 12 cans. Personally, I think that the people complaining about getting 12 cans instead of 16 have less to complain about than the people who got in line early at like 3:30, stood in line for over 2 hours, and still didn't get the collaboration. There are people saying "only people salty over this are the ones who can't trade it because they didn't get it." That logic applies to anyone salty that they could only buy two cases instead of the 5 they were planning.

There is another option that I never see discussed - beat expectations. Say "CCAA - 170 cases, 1 cast limit" and then when they see only 100 people in line at opening, "screw it, no limit." Under promise, over deliver. Good life lesson in general. [of course, people in NC, DC, 757 etc. will say "if I'd known there would be no limit I would have made the drive!" - but I think that would really speak to the motivation behind the handtruck hauls]

jwd3 and aleckpa like this.
  39. jwd3

jwd3 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2015 Virginia

Agree with all of what @oldn00b just said, and nice call that announcing no limit on saturday could have been a contributing factor.

But to be fair as well, their limits have been fine in the recent past so it was just blowing this one. While there were certainly some signs beforehand that this would be popular ( general obsession with Aunt last time, moderate increase in social activity, line halfway to Lickinghole before the doors opened ), the history was on their side.

I dunno... gotta expect some errors with the trial. They've been pretty solid about customer service so far. Willing to give them a pass here.

40. HopAttack3

HopAttack3 Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2011 Virginia

So, I've emailed the Veil about a refund for Never Enough, and have gotten zippy response, 2 weeks now...anyone else have any issues getting a refund?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.