The Veil Brewing - Richmond

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Arsenal_MC, Apr 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomCat11

TomCat11 Zealot (531) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Gotta remember too that as Veil was announcing the individual cans Fri - Sun that each of those announcements carried limits lower that what the final numbers were. Their total case counts stayed the same so it was not like they ended up with more than expected. Curious to know what changed their mind in the 6 hours between when the last can was announced (Sun @ 12:39pm) to when the post about everything was announced. For those who did not catch it see below.

ORIGINALLY
    - CCAA:
    170-200 cases / 3x or 4x 4pk limit (9/16 5:06pm)
    - That Part: 170-200 cases / 1 case limit (9/17 @ 12:59pm)
    - Boss Man: 90-100 cases / 3x 4pk limit (9/17 @ 6:45pm)
    - Joooseee: 105-125 cases / 3x 4pk limit (9/18 @ 12:39pm)

SUNDAY EVENING ANNOUNCEMENT (9/18 @ 6:12pm)
    - CCAA: NO LIMIT
    - That Part: NO LIMIT
    - Boss Man: 4x 4pk
    - Joooseee: 4x 4pk

Seems like they originally had the counts where many would have agreed with. Who knows why they decided later to change those. Maybe they were worried cans will last several days. Is it even that bad that some of the cans last 3 or 4+ days? Do they really get worried when cans bleed into the weekend? I understand their goal of wanting the beers to be drink super fresh but as many have noted, some of their batches with time on it have really developed into much better beers than they were basically right off the line.I really like they have had limits on Tues and then move everything to no limits after Tuesdays.

#841 TomCat11, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    oldn00b likes this.
  2. oldn00b

oldn00b Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2015 Virginia

Oh yeah, not like I'm not going back and they'll still get my money.

Agree, on most 4 release days they have only 1 thing that sells out and don't usually go much over 400 cases on release day (pretty much never over 150), typically leaving stuff to/through the weekend. I just feel like they should have realized they sell tons of the CT and MS variants, and the collab should have been obvious. They do so much right, this was just unexpected.

@TomCat11 I completely missed that! They were so close, should have just changed the limits Tuesday afternoon instead of announcing Sunday. I too am curious why they increased them so much.

"To receive a refund for Never Enough cans purchased yesterday with a credit or debit card, please send an email with the subject:"NE Refund" to dan@theveilbrewing.comwith the full name and last 4 digits on the card used for the purchase. "

you did that? if you bought with cash, they needed proof. It was like 2 months ago so maybe there's a statute of limitations on that, like they can't verify it anymore or something. My friend who bought them got his refund though right away without issue so it would be the first I've heard of an issue with it.

3. HopAttack3

HopAttack3 Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2011 Virginia

Well credit card, emailed on 9-6-16, and included my emailed receipt, just got a pm from someone I'm guessing with the Veil?

4. Crim122

Crim122 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

[​IMG]

I was going to visit them this weekend but my mom said I can no longer come over to her house and wants me to come the weekend of 10/8, which works because i'd love to try this stout. Hopefully I can get there early enough to nab some.

5. oldn00b

Starting to get real curious about what's dropping this week. About this time last week we had 3 of the 4. Since they said they'd brew Dirt Nap when they got more Nelson, and they dropped the collab last week that had some Nelson, is it crazy to think that maybe we're getting Dirt Nap again?

6. TomCat11

Trader

2 Cans this week. Take note that Veil made mention that "limits are subject to change" so don't go on the below. Have to wait until the final post tomorrow I'm guessing.
    $alt Lyf3 is a 5.8% IPA hopped intensely with Simcoe and Centennial with sea salt. Super expressive aromatics/flavor profile. Bright lemon peel, Grapefruit flesh, passionfruit, a touch of pine. The sea salt comes through on the finish and dries out slightly. We love this one for realzies. Perfect for ripping a 3' gnar gnar barrel with your bro-brahs. Shooting for approx. 190-210 cases. $13.50+tax per 4-pack. NO LIMIT.

Eternal Eternal Shredder Shredder
    is the double dry-hopped version of Eternal Shredder(Imperial Master Shredder). This 8.5% double dry-hopped DIPA is insane. Incredibly aromatic and straight up hop juice. One of the most intense DIPAs we've released. So dang good! Shooting for approx. 155-180 cases. $18+tax per 4-pack. 1 case limit.

Limits are subject to change.

Whatever cans/cases left of Eternal Eternal Shredder Shredder on Wednesday will be NO LIMIT.

7. NDogg44

NDogg44 Initiate (114) Oct 21, 2015 Texas
    Trader

What are the odds that either of these make it to Thursday? My guess is slim to none, but I'll have to hold out hope as I get into town on Thursday morning.

gtatk likes this.
  8. TomCat11

Trader

I could see one $alt Lyf3 making it to Thurs. EESS will probably be very close. The past few times they have done a 2 can release day at least one of the cans made it to Thursday. If you do come, however, then chances are you would need to get there right around opening since there probably would not be very much left.

9. NDogg44

Trader

Thanks for the tips! Looking forward to the trip out there.

TomCat11 likes this.
  10. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (274) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

My wife was down there for work a week ago. I've been waiting for her to get over there for one of the big releases. We saw crucial crucial was being released and I was psyched as her office is mere minutes away. She worked the full day knowing they released at 5, but hey we both work a 9-5. Luckily she has to visit that office every so often.

She was with a co worker and also had to adhere to people schedules so they ended up at a mead place first. She met some nice "hippie" guy working there and gave her a bunch of samplers and she bought a fig one home to go. After that they headed to Veil and as I suspected cans of Crucial Crucial were long gone. She did get pours and bought a 4 fack of That Part, which was great along with some clothes to bring home. So, said hippie guy happened to also end up at Veil and came over to ask her how their trip was and what they thought of CC. She said it was one of the best beers she's had but she was really bummed she missed the cans. Without even speaking the guy cracked a can off of the only 2 cans of CC he had and gave her one for us to have and refused to take it back. I think she gave him some other cans she had just to try and say some kind of thank you. So who ever that dude was I owe him a huge thanks! We split that can by the beach Saturday evening and I have to say it's one of the best IPA/DIPA's I've had to date, easily top 5 among Treehouse, Trillium, Bissell, etc where we live. I'm lucky my family lives right near the Trillium brewery in Canton and I got to compare this to Headroom. Just as good.

Can't wait to trade out some Trillium with some folks down there in Virginia. You are some great people.

J and K from the NH Seascoast.

#850 Jbrews, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    Hamilax, seanchai, Macsimus and 2 others like this.
  11. oldn00b

Yeah I was way off on my prediction for this week. I was hoping to be able to make the release but not looking good. Eternal Shredder was rad so will be bummed if I miss this one.

That's really awesome! So cool when there are good folks willing to spread the love with people there (and not just with whoever they're muling for back home). My first time there someone traded me a can that had sold out by the time I made it through the line. Good luck trying to snag one or two off the folks with 4+ cases though - they're already spoken for.

12. TomCat11

Trader

Update just posted for today's release. No change in limits from their post yesterday.

Beginning at 4pm, we will start the sales of 2 brands in 16oz/4-packs. Here is some info on the 2 brands:

-$alt Lyf3-5.8%-IPA with Simcoe, Centennial, and sea salt($13.50+tax/4-pack; approx 205 cases; NO LIMIT)
    -Eternal Eternal Shredder Shredder-8.5%-double dry-hopped DIPA($18+tax/4-pack; approx 175 cases; 1 case per person)

13. HopAttack3

HopAttack3 Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2011 Virginia

Was it Black Heath meadery?

If so, the owner is supposed to be a hell of a guy, I haven't met him yet, go back and drop some coin on some meads would be a nice gesture IMO.

14. ncaudle

ncaudle Initiate (0) May 28, 2010 Virginia

it's the only meadery in town, and Bill is a very cool dude.

15. TomCat11

Trader

Update on what is left going into today. I'm starting to see Veil be very inconsistent on the annoucements of limits. Last week they changed the limits a couple times between the days leading up to release and then release day. This week they kept the same limits previously announced going into yesterday's release but also mentioned whatever was left on Wednesday would be No Limit. Now they have went back on that and set limits on EESS. State a limit for the week and stick with it unless something causes totals counts to drastically change. If they may change the No Limit Wednesday then simply state that decision will be made the morning after release. No big deal on my end but people who are traveling for farther away that are planning their trips into RVA are receiving all sorts of confusing information from the brewery.

-$alt Lyf3-5.8%-IPA with Simcoe, Centennial, and sea salt($13.50+tax/4-pack; approx 115 cases; NO LIMIT)
    -Eternal Eternal Shredder Shredder-8.5%-double dry-hopped DIPA($18+tax/4-pack; approx 40 cases; 3x 4-packs per person)

#855 TomCat11, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    oldn00b likes this.
  16. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

I really like both of the beers released yesterday. Salt Lyfe is an easy drinker, one that you could sit and drink 4-6 of over the course of the night, which is something I'm increasingly interested in these days. EESS is typical for their DDH DIPAs, well executed and delicious. There are still cans of each left, I'd recommend grabbing some.

17. oldn00b

Pretty low sale day yesterday - one of their lower releases in a while I think. Rain, and Salt Life sounds more like a perfect summer beer than a fall beer maybe? But they sold a ton of EESS.

I wonder why they put a limit on EESS? I did see something about a line forming late last night, almost as if people tried EESS and decided "whoa, need more of this". But I don't like this changing either. I see a lot of sides to it. On one hand they say "we want to prioritize locals" but also "people travel for these". Can't really cater to both, and while it sounds good to say "locals" why wouldn't they want people driving hours and grabbing 10 cases? That's a killer sale for them as a business, so I get it.

But the changing limits constantly isn't good. They should state "Limits TBD" and announce it when they have a solid grasp on 1) yield/if there were any canning issues 2) anticipated/real turnout. Two days in particular were clearly going to be huge based solely on social media comments - Dirt Nap day and CCAA. Dirt Nap they dropped limits due to lower yield (people who got in line at 5PM still got at least dirt nap/MMSS) but CCAA they upped/dropped the limit 2 days before and people in line at 3:15 got shut out of some releases.

Con to adjusting the limits down - people who traveled expecting to take back 10 cases and can only take 4 are pissed as are the people they're buying for/trading with. Con to adjusting limits up - people hoard and people who were expecting to only need to be there by xx:xx time and showed up later get shut out.

They should let people decide they're coming based on the beer being released, not as much on the quantity of the beer they can get. Example, if you want Trickery, you're probably going whether you can get 4 bottles or 6. For every person buying 10 cases there are plenty who just want a couple 4 packs to drink.

tl;dr - they should not set limits until they are as sure as possible of the yield and demand - if that's days ahead or an hour before, this is the way to do it.

18. wordupmagazine

wordupmagazine Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2014 Sweden
    Deactivated

How long are we thinking EESS lasts? I was hoping to come by for it today but won't be able to get down there until 7 or 8.

19. oldn00b

80 people could get a full allocation so I think it's reasonable it will last a few hours and possibly into tomorrow. I see SL making it to/through the weekend.

20. beernuts

sounds like, yes, but the salt is really pretty subtle, its not like Jammer which tastes like the ocean. I think its a solid beer for any time. I think a lot of it is also a hangover from last week. Lots of people are stocked up on Veil.

montman and oldn00b like this.
  21. TomCat11

Trader

What's remaining going into today (THURSDAY). You are in luck @NDogg44 if you can get there close to or a little before opening.

-$alt Lyf3 - ($13.50+tax/4-pack; approx 95 cases; NO LIMIT)
    -Eternal Eternal Shredder Shredder - ($18+tax/4-pack; approx 16 cases; 2x 4-packs per person)

montman likes this.
  22. montman

montman Devotee (406) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

Ah man that's great, with 95 cases, it looks like at least Salt lyfe will be there tomorrow night. After @beernuts very positive review I'm more excited to swing by and grab some.

#862 montman, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  23. oldn00b

24. NDogg44

Trader

We got there right as they opened the doors! Thanks for the heads up!

TomCat11 likes this.
  25. TomCat11

Trader

Updated posted of what's available going into today (FRIDAY)

26. Mangbus

Mangbus Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2014 Florida

27. TomCat11

Trader

Scroll to the top of the page and click on "Products" to see more than just the shirts.

UPDATE:
    New Pilot batch releasing tonight. Crowlers tomorrow
    This evening we will be releasing a new pilot batch called Escape. Escape is a 5.5% 100% Brett fermented Farmhouse pale ale. This beer was fermented/conditioned with a blend of a few Brett strains in wine barrels for 8 weeks. Hopped gently with Mosaic hops. Bright lemon peel, stone fruit, oak tannins, subtle pinot notes, with a funky, earthy character. Incredibly complex and special. Escape will be available on draft beginning this evening when we open at 4pm. Tomorrow(Saturday October 1st) when we open at 12pm, we will begin the sale of a limited pre-filled crowler run of Escape only(no other brands will be available in crowlers). They will be $12 each. 1 per person limit. Shooting for around 30 total crowlers(give or take a few). Escape is an unfiltered beer that contains Brett, so PLEASE remember to keep these crowlers as cold as possible at all times. We hope you can make it in this evening to try this wonderful offering and Escape your mind for just one glass.

#867 TomCat11, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    Mangbus likes this.
  28. oldn00b

Grape and Gourmet in VB is selling Salt Lyfe 4 packs, 2/pp.

29. montman

montman Devotee (406) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

It did seem like a decent amount of salt lyfe sold for a Thursday, that might explain some of it.
    Too bad we didn't get some EESS with it too, haha.

oldn00b likes this.
  30. TomCat11

Trader

Releases for tomorrow...

Crucial Taunt DIPA - We're always super stoked for this dank, citrus forward 8% DIPA to be released. This batch is tasting awesome! We're shooting for approx 190-210 cases. $14+tax/4-pack. NO LIMIT.

Broz Broz Day Day (NEW RELEASE) - is the double dry-hopped version of our 100% Citra IPA Broz Day Off. At 4.8%, this hazy, juicy crusher is just straight up wild. We're stoked on how this turned out and we know y'all will be too. We're shooting for approx 160-180 cases. $14+tax/4-pack. NO LIMIT.

Never Mind (NEW RELEASE) - is the next Gose in the Never series. This time we bombed the heck out of this Gose with plums. Good gracious this one is insane! Just as much fruit as Never Again, but this is just straight up plum juice. At 4.9% you can drink this for days. We're shooting for approx 80-95 cases. $16+tax/4-pack. 2x 4-packs per person.

31. TomCat11

Trader

Along with the cans above, Veil posted they will sell the remaining 12 cases of $alt Lyf3 they have. NO LIMIT

32. TomCat11

Trader

Final details on today's release...

-Broz Broz Day Day-4.8%-double dry-hopped IPA with 100% Citra($14+tax/4-pack; approx 190 cases; NO LIMIT)

-$alt Lyf3-5.8%-IPA with Simcoe, Centennial, and sea salt($13.50+tax/4-pack; approx 12 cases left last week's release; NO LIMIT)

-Crucial Taunt-8%-DIPA($14+tax/4-pack; approx 205 cases; NO LIMIT)

-Never Mind-4.9%-Gose with Plums($16+tax/4-pack; approx 95 cases; 2x 4-packs per person)

33. oldn00b

This is the first time a prior week's release hung around until the next release day, right?

34. TomCat11

Trader

I believe so. And they even distro'd cans to at least a couple spots around Va Beach and RVA. The longest anything else has made it was Saturday evening I think. And that was once (maybe twice).

oldn00b likes this.
  35. beernuts

I think Young Lions made it to the next release, I know I bought some on Monday night at like 9pm.

oldn00b likes this.
  36. TomCat11

Trader

Yep. You're right. I went back and looked at their posts. They had 8 cases left going into Monday (July 25th) before they shifted hours to be closed on Mondays.

oldn00b likes this.
  37. TomCat11

Trader

Today's availability posted...357 total cases sold yesterday.
    - Crucial Taunt - approx 60 cases left; 1 case per person limit (145 cases sold yesterday)

38. oldn00b

I feel like the hangover from the CCAA is still there a bit - that's low for a 500+ case, 3 can day. I'm pretty sure those typically those sell 400+.

39. RBowers

RBowers Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Virginia

what does your spreadsheet say?

40. TomCat11

Trader

What's left going into THURSDAY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.