The Veil Brewing - Richmond

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Arsenal_MC, Apr 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. montman

montman Maven (1,410) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

I know they did a 3rd dipa can, I was just guessing that perhaps the 2 out of 3 didn't mobilize as many out of towners as some past releases. Or maybe I have no idea.
    Not really a judgment on the beers themselves, I haven't even tried them, regular broz was great, so I assume this one is as well.

oldn00b likes this.
  2. gopens44

gopens44 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Haven't had any of their beer yet but was able to get to the release yesterday. I have read / heard lots about letting these things mellow a few weeks before cracking into them, so would you say that's a good idea for Broz night out? I'd love to crack one open tonight but not if it has better promise in a few weeks.

oldn00b likes this.
  3. montman

montman Maven (1,410) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

Some might disagree, but I have had quite a few of their canned beers a couple of days after canning and found them all great. Count me in the camp that hasn't really found that they need to mellow unlike a few stronger OH T/DIPAs, for example that I have had in the past.

#423 montman, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    gopens44 and oldn00b like this.
  4. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

I absolutely do not agree with that. The "let it mellow" camp on BA is annoying when talking about stouts but this has just gone too far now. It says on the can "keep cold drink today", how it tastes now is how the beer is intended to taste, drink it!

5. oldn00b

oldn00b Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2015 Virginia

To me, Broz last night was fan-friggin-tastic. I'd say at least try one tonight and go from there. Depending on how many you got I'd spread it out over a couple weeks but I feel like if you wait two weeks to try one you are more likely to be disappointed. I give their brews a pretty heavy pour, found Broz Night didn't look as great as others but it smells and tastes fantastic.

Regards to their beers as a whole, just my 2 cents so grain of salt. I'm pretty obsessive with keeping them cold from point of sale, to cooler, fridge then face and I've found some beers definitely hold up better than others. Master Master Shredder Shredder to me fell off insanely fast and wasn't the same beer 1 week later - different color, less haze, more subdued nose and more bitterness coming through. Crucial Taunt and Dirt Nap seemed just as good to me with two-three weeks, but I still wouldn't say they're better. IdonteverwanttoBU has been my favorite so far, had it on tap a week after release, 1 can a week after that and both were amazing for me. I had it again on tap last week (so 3+ weeks out) and found it had a much higher perceived bitterness for me and didn't hit all the same notes as before - that's kegged on tap at the brewery so I really don't think these IPAs are built to last or get better in a couple weeks.

gopens44 and William_Navidson like this.
  6. gopens44

gopens44 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

@montman , @oldn00b , @beernuts

Thanks for chiming in, as I am very glad I asked. After having Broz Night Out, I can say that there was absolutely nothing in that beer I would have wanted to see drop off any at all.

montman, beernuts and oldn00b like this.
  7. TomCat11

TomCat11 Pooh-Bah (2,062) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Update of remaining cans going into today (THURSDAY)

Major Rager - 82 cases remain - NO LIMIT

Broz Night Out - 35 cases remain - NO LIMIT

Hornswoggler - 28 cases remain , 1-3 Golden Tokens left - NO LIMIT

oldn00b likes this.
  8. oldn00b

I'll be surprised if they do a rollout like this again anytime soon where they do double batches of two new beers. That's a lot of beer left for them after 2 days of high limits. I really doubt no limit will change much regarding how quickly they go, limits were very reasonable day 1 and high for day 2.

9. TomCat11

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I agree. low limit, mid limit, high limit, No Limit it won't make a difference. This week's release is just odd based on how few people have showed up compared to other weeks. Good thing is it has allowed people to plan a visit other than Tuesday this week and at the very longest they should definitely sell out over the weekend if not before.

I would think they have learned from this to do a standard 80-100 case batch with new beers they are rolling out and maybe pair it with a flagship (MS or CT) to get more people in the door.

10. HookemHoos

HookemHoos Savant (1,223) Sep 20, 2013 Virginia

The really should alternate MS/CT every other week. One week do MS, the next do CT. Do double batches and figure out how much they sell normally. Over the course of a couple months, they'll know exactly how much they need. If they sell 150 cases Tues-Thurs, can that much and then keg the rest and send it out to bars.

IMO, I think they need a more consistent roll out of their well-known, established beers. There just doesn't seem to be a consistent plan to do their good stuff. I think they've tried to produce too many new beers in too short of a time. They should use the small batch system to test out beers like Major Rager and see if it sells. If so, then produce it on a larger scale.

In the meantime, stick with your already proven beers. And at that, make idontwant2BU and idontever regular beers.

oldn00b likes this.
  11. wordupmagazine

wordupmagazine Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2014 Sweden
    Deactivated

I really like the variety, personally - it's also a great system for them to figure out what really works and add that to the core lineup with time. Not really sure why people are upset that we've hit a sort of equilibrium that allows higher limits and a few more days of availability, as that's a huge boon to people that aren't in the immediate proximity of the brewery but would like to support it regardless.

SportsandJorts, montman and beernuts like this.
  12. oldn00b

Dirt Nap - great example. 60 case first batch of cans. People loved it. Double batch of cans sold out in 3 hours and was limited to only 3pp.

I also think they can expect variations on the flagships to fly if they did double batches that sound in any way appealing (Aunt, Lord Shredder etc.).

This. I'm loving the cans of Idont I picked up last week. But Idontever is the one beer above the rest of theirs that will make me take a 1/2 day to get in line again.

I don't think people are upset - I just think this situation makes it less likely we'll see double batches of new brews. I might worry a bit that next time Broz Night comes out they'll only do a single batch and it'll be gone in the first hour but who knows? My only complaint with them at this point, if you can even call it that, is that I wish I had a bit more of a clue what was in the pipe earlier than the weekend before a Tuesday release but I also get the feeling they might not even know what is dropping which week.

13. TomCat11

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Cans still available going into today's opening at 4pm

Major Rager - 65 cases remain, NO LIMIT

Broz Night Out - 8 cases remain, NO LIMIT

Hornswoggler - 19 cases remain , NO LIMIT (1-2 Golden Tokens left)

oldn00b likes this.
  14. ncaudle

ncaudle Initiate (0) May 28, 2010 Virginia

I would wager they are 95% sure what will drop each week. baring a random stuck fermentation or mechanical issue these things are generally scheduled out a month or so in advance to maximize tank usage and always keep beer in the pipeline

15. skiking1163

skiking1163 Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2010 North Carolina

So with beers hanging around a little longer, do we think this is going to affect when they announce the next week's release? Its been varied in the past, but usually there's been at least one announced by now. I just want to know what I can get next week...

16. TomCat11

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think they will still announce at least a couple over the weekend.

They did announce releasing a Mexican Lager called Jackson Flavor on the 21st for their 3rd Thurday's event.

17. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

Can someone explain to me what a mexican lager is? I've seen this term pop up a few times this summer.

18. daveafrank

daveafrank Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2015 North Carolina
    Trader

Not a truly defined style, but this might shed some light:
    http://draftmag.com/mexican-style-lager/

19. TomCat11

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Every Mexican style lager I have had, even from craft breweries taste just like Corono, Pacifico, Dos XX, etc. seems to be popular among breweries this year.

Anyone wondering, 50 cases Major Rager and 13 Hornswoggler left. Broz gone. As of Veil's post at 6pm

20. cjgiant

cjgiant Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,560) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Pooh-Bah Society

Not knowing the beers, but in general, I'd say I agree based off the original question to at least try the way the brewer "intended." But if you don't like it that way and find that you do like it the "mellowed" way, feel free to do that, as well. But perhaps to your point, one should determine for one's self - using other BAs as a resource as seen fit :slight_smile:.

Also, what marketing wouldn't say, "Drink now, and come back for more (sooner)!" I don't think the business will care, though, if you find any way to enjoy (and re-purchase) their offerings :wink:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.