The Veil Brewing - Richmond

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Arsenal_MC, Apr 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmmatt

cmmatt Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2011 North Carolina

Richmond folk, hope you can help out an CLT guy here. Heading up your way for the Veil anniversary/other hijinks, what's the best place to stay without breaking the bank? Downtown looks expensive. Any other areas where not too far to drive/Uber to breweries? Thanks in advance, cheers!

2. PABill

PABill Initiate (70) Jun 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

There’s a Clarion hotel about 1.5 miles from the Veil. Also some hotels within walking distance to the Answer about 3 miles away. All much cheaper than downtown (albeit not as nice!)

cmmatt likes this.
  3. TomCat11

TomCat11 Zealot (516) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

If anyone is around RVA today, Black Heath just posted they tapped their last keg (or whatever mead vessels are called) of WOTW B1. If my math is correct that is a little over 10 months since the first batch was released.

4. TomCat11

Trader

4/10 Releases....

Keepz Building (DEBUT) is a brand new 9% DIPA. Hopped intensely/irresponsibly with Citra Lupulin Powder, Nelson, Mosaic, Mosaic Lupulin Powder, Galaxy, Enigma, and El Dorado. One of the most complex yet structured hop profiles we’ve created. Dense, drippy, saturated citrusy hops.
    Shooting for approx 180-205x cases. $17+tax/4-pack. 2x cases/12x 4-packs per person.

BJCP Update (DEBUT) is a fun one! Clocking in at 8.5%, BJCP Update is a Sour DIPA with Citra, Nelson, and Mosaic hops then conditioned on hundreds of gallons of Passionfruit and Guava purée. So tropical and fruity, tart and juicy.
    Shooting for approx 170-195x cases. $18.50+tax/4-pack. 2x cases/12x 4-packs per person.

dieyoung (DEBUT) is a brand new Kellerbier lager from us clocking in at 5.2%. This lager is an unfiltered, younger, and slightly hoppier lager made to be enjoyed fresher. Made with 100% German malt, yeast, and hops, this one is an incredible crusher for these upcoming warmer months.
    Shooting for approx 135-160x cases. $12.50+tax/4-pack. NO LIMIT.

Crucial Shredder is kind of a mash-up between Master Shredder(our house IPA) and Crucial Taunt(our house DIPA). Master Shredder is a 5.5% IPA hopped with a proprietary hop blend, but mainly with Mosaic. Crucial Taunt is an 8% DIPA hopped with a proprietary hop blend, but mainly with Citra. It's no secret that we love Citra hops, so we thought it would be cool to see how Master Shredder would taste by substituting the Mosaic portion of the blend for Citra. The results are incredible! We still love Master Shredder and will keep the recipe the same, but this is such an awesome spin on the original. Super pumped on this hazy crusher.
    Shooting for approx 175-190 cases. $14+tax/4-pack. 2x case/12x 4-packs per person limit.

5. james_biddlestein

james_biddlestein Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2016 Pennsylvania

My wife and I stayed at the Clarion on our trip last week. It's cheap, clean and close to pretty much everything. You can still be downtown quickly as well.

cmmatt likes this.
  6. mikehayz

mikehayz Initiate (68) Aug 11, 2012 Virginia

7. TomCat11

Trader

I'm not familiar with that part of RVA but there does not appear to be another brewery within 3 1/2 - 4 miles of there and as the article states, It's in more of a residential area right next to a school. Not the more millennial / young professional / industry type folks like in the Scott's Addition area. if anyone can draw beer geeks to travel to Southside it would be The Veil. Might even attract the locals who don't live down there to make the trek.

8. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (341) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

The closest brewery is probably the veil and the other scott's addition breweries, at least in terms of convenience since they're both right off Powhite. That area is residential but it has potential to be a little hot spot. There are some good restaurants right there and its a very desireable area to live. It seems like a great idea to me.

#2608 beernuts, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    TomCat11 likes this.
  9. 209Hill

209Hill Initiate (38) Dec 22, 2016 Virginia

Legend and Twisted Ales aren't too far away, if you're staying south of the James. Much further south you get Extra Billy's (blah) and Steam Bell.

TomCat11 likes this.
  10. Shilt

Shilt Disciple (344) Dec 26, 2011 Virginia
    Trader

I mean other than the fact that somebody was murdered at that Clarion a couple years back, I suppose it's fine. Would definitely recommend stuff close to Answer/Mekong on Broad Street to stay. And that's an easy 10 or so minute Uber to Veil.

hoppytobehere likes this.
  11. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (816) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

I usually stay at Candlewood Suites on Broad st. Right down the road from the Answer and like a $10 Uber to Veil or other cool spots

12. TomCat11

Trader

If anyone purchased (or was planning to purchase) Crucial Shredder, Keepz Building or BJCP Update this week.
    Today we became aware of an issue with this week’s can releases. We have detected dissolved oxygen levels in some cans above the range we think is acceptable. This will cause the quality of the canned beer to degrade over a shorter period of time than would be typical. As a result of this discovery we are pulling the remaining allotments of BJCP Update, Keepz Building and Crucial Shredder. **The remaining cans of Feel Feelings and dieyoung have all tested within acceptable limits and were not affected by this issue. All draft of these beers are perfectly acceptable also. This was a can only issue.**

If you purchased cans of the affected brands yesterday we encourage you to keep them cold and consume them within the week. If you would like a refund for your cans please contact us at info@theveilbrewing.com. If you purchased cans from previous recent releases and think they might also be affected please contact us so we can work to make things right.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding during this frustrating experience. **

Proof of purchase/receipt must be available to issue refund. If you paid with a card and do not have a receipt, we can look up your order through our POS if full name on card is provided.**

13. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (542) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

To quote Al Pacino in Heat: "You can get killed walkin' your doggie!"

hoppytobehere and beernuts like this.
  14. 209Hill

209Hill Initiate (38) Dec 22, 2016 Virginia

I purchased two 4-packs of Crucial Shredder on Tuesday. I drank one last night - tasted fine to me. Based on their update, I'll plan to consume the remaining cans over the course of the next week.

I also had the sour DIPA on tap Tuesday - weird experience. I generally really like hoppy sour beer, and have had several from The Veil. This one started out great - first ~three sips were fantastically tart and hoppy. Second half of the pour was a weird and unpleasant hop burn, with the tart more muted. Still overall a good beer, but I didn't pick up any cans of that one based on my draft experience.

oldn00b likes this.
  15. raczkowski

raczkowski Aspirant (280) May 16, 2011 Florida
    Trader

How does everyone anticipate the anniversary releases each day? Seems the demand has subsided a bit with the Veil. I mean who can drink 5-6 cases of beer within a week, esp when half them are not sessionable beers lol. Just wondering if the cans will last throughout the week, or if people anticipate selling out each day.

16. TomCat11

Trader

With The Veil releasing so much stuff as well as making limits low considering their typical numbers I see things easily carrying over from day to day.

#2616 TomCat11, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    oldn00b likes this.
  17. TomCat11

Trader

Bottle / Can release info this week. Refer to the fb event page if you want to know what SWAG / Colorways / add'l details...

**TUESDAY APRIL 17TH 4-9PM**

CANS:
    ~redferarri-8%-Galaxy/Mosaic DIPA
    (approx 200x cases;$16.50+tax/4-pack; 2x 4-packs per person)

~greenferarri-8%-Galaxy/Simcoe DIPA
    (approx 200x cases;$16.50+tax/4-pack; 2x 4-packs per person)

~ImdonewithU-11%-0 IBU Citra/Mosaic TIPA
    (approx 200x cases;$17.50+tax/4-pack; 2x 4-packs per person)

~Never Aloha3(cubed)-5.3%-Triple fruited Hawaiian Punch Gose
    (approx 200x cases;$26+tax/4-pack; 2x 4-packs per person)
    **PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF FRUIT IN THIS BEER AND THAT IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THESE CANS REMAIN VERY VERY COLD AT ALL TIMES.**

~Sleeping Forever-12%-anniversary Imperial Stout
    (approx 120x cases of 4-pack 16oz cans; $22+tax/4-pack; 1x 4-pack per person)

**WEDNESDAY APRIL 18TH 4-9PM**

BOTTLES:
    ~Bourbon Barrel Aged Sleeping Forever-13%-anniversary imperial Stout aged in Buffalo Trace bourbon barrels for 12 months-500ml bottles and limited 1.5L magnums available
    - approx 1,100x 500ml bottles; $17+tax/500ml bottle; 2x bottles per person
    - approx 30x 1.5L magnums also available; $60+tax/magnum; 1x magnum per person

~Sauvage-3.7%-barrel fermented Brett table beer aged in red wine barrels-750ml bottles and limited 1.5L magnums available
    - approx 400x 750ml bottles; $16+tax/750ml; 1x 750ml per person;
    - approx 20x 1.5L magnums also available; $50+tax/magnum; 1x magnum per person

**THURSDAY APRIL 19TH 4-9PM**
    *This will also our be our monthly Third Thursday celebration. We will be donating a percentage of draft sales to SCAN.*

BOTTLES:
    ~Apple Brandy Barrel Aged Sleeping Forever-13%-anniversary imperial Stout aged in Laird’s Apple Brandy barrels for 13 months-500ml bottles available
    (approx 1,750x 500ml bottles; $17+tax/500ml bottle; 3x bottles per person)

~Stolen Days-5.2%-blended mixed fermentation ales aged in wine barrels-750ml bottles and limited 1.5L magnums will be available
    - approx 600x 750ml bottles; $20+tax/750ml; 2x 750mls per person
    - approx 20x 1.5L magnums also available; $60+tax/magnum; 1x magnum per person

**FRIDAY APRIL 20TH 4-10PM**

~Frederiksdal(Danish Cherry Wine) Barrel Aged Sleeping Forever-13%-500ml bottles and limited 1.5L magnums available
    - approx 1,750x 500ml bottles; $17+tax/500ml bottle; 4x bottles per person
    - approx 20x 1.5L magnums also available; $60+tax/magnum; 1x magnum per person

~Raspberry All That You Are-5.6%-Spelt Farmhouse Inspired Ale aged on whole local raspberries-375ml bottles and limited 1.5L magnums available
    - approx 900x 375ml bottles; $15+tax/375ml; 1x 375ml per person
    - approx 70x 1.5L magnums also available; $70+tax/magnum; 1x magnum per person

**SATURDAY APRIL 21ST 12-10PM**

CANS:
    ~whiteferrari-8%-Galaxy/Citra
    (approx 400-450x cases; $16.50+tax/4-pack; 1x case/6x 4-packs per person)

BOTTLES:
    ~Vanilla Sleeping Forever-12%-anniversary imperial stout conditioned on vanilla beans-500ml bottles and limited 1.5L magnums available
    - approx 500x 500ml bottles; $20+tax/500ml bottle; 1x bottle per person
    - approx 10x 1.5L magnums also available; $70+tax/magnum; 1x magnum per person

**SUNDAY APRIL 22ND 12-8PM**
    *NOTE WE WILL BE OPEN EXTENDED HOURS ON THIS DAY*

BOTTLES:
    ~Bourbon Barrel Aged Sleeping Forever conditioned on Coconut-13%-500ml bottles
    (approx 400x 500ml bottles; $20+tax/500ml bottle; 1x bottle per person)

~Kentucky Reserve Sleeping Forever-14%-anniversary imperial Stout aged in bourbon barrels for 24 months-limited 500ml box sets including 2x Glencairn whiskey glasses available
    (approx 300x special box sets featuring 2x different glencairn whiskey glasses; $65+tax/box set; 1x box set per person
    *we will NOT be releasing KY Reserve SF next year in preparation of a special release for 2020*)

GUEST TAPS CONFIRMED:
    - Oxbow
    - Monkish
    - Trillium
    - Tired Hands
    - Other Half
    - Jester King
    - and more TBA
    *SPECIAL/VINTAGE KEGS FROM THE VEIL TBA*
    *We will be selling drink tickets for all draft pours for Sunday 4/22.*

18. oldn00b

oldn00b Champion (890) Feb 23, 2015 Virginia
    Trader

I agree there will definitely be some things that carry over especially with these low limits (900 allotments of Rasp All That You Are for instance).

I am very happy to see those low limits, they stuck to their guns there. And there is "SO much more beer" in terms of all these brands but it's disappointing they're only releasing 720 4 packs of Sleeping Forever - last year they had 900. I'm betting those don't make it to Wednesday. 1100 BB SF is only 200 more than last year, ditto with 500 on Vanilla. I was really expecting something like "2,000 VSF at 2pp" based on how they were talking.

montman likes this.
  19. montman

montman Devotee (415) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

I didn't realize the only way you could get reserve was with the box set, if you are not interested in whiskey glasses (?) then its basically $65 for one beer. haha.
    Still, good for them, several things are in the 500-ish range of allotment size so if you want one, you can get it in a lot of cases.

oldn00b likes this.
  20. oldn00b

Trader

I agree, I think most everything is a fair run size and allotment (some even seem high). I personally just love VSF last year, fresh it was the best non-ba vanilla stout I've ever had. I think those 500 are gonna go pretty quickly on Saturday, and I'm surprised on the decrease in normal SF as I said. But for the most part, cans, bottles, mags - all looks really good.

21. TomCat11

Trader

I noticed that too after going back reading through all the details. And not to mention it's 500ml. They have sold similar whiskey glasses before at $10/per so KY Reserve alone would be running $40-$45. I guess they can rationalize that. Twice as long in barrels so why not more than double up cost.......And you noticed The Veil trying to drive hype towards it by stating they would not be releasing it next year. They should take it a step further and not even put it on tap. You wanna try it then you not only have to spend $65 but also not hoard it. I don't see them selling 300 sets on Sunday unless people circle back through the line for multiples throughout the day for maxx profittz.

22. Mattkart

Mattkart Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2014 Florida

Will be in town Fri,Sat,Sun from Florida. Would love to get my hands on 1 of each of the cans from Tuesday if anyone would want to swap for Angry Chair crowlers, Cycle crowlers/weekday bottles, Civil Society cans, Southern Swells cans, RTJ Wakefield cans.
    Also you can’t share in lines or bring things to open in breweries in VA correct?

23. montman

Trader

No line shares or outside beer.
    But the line snakes through the Veil's lot and once in it, you can have a draft pour at least.

Mattkart likes this.
  24. cmmatt

cmmatt Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2011 North Carolina

Stupid question, but will all the variants be on tap (meaning day of release for each, etc.). Also, any bottle shares planned for the weekend anywhere?

oldn00b likes this.
  25. oldn00b

Trader

I have the same "stupid" question. I bet they'll be releasing each beer on tap the day they start selling bottles until they kick - i.e. BBSF Wednesday, ABSF on tap Thursday etc. I would not be surprised if something kicks mid week they still bring it back for Sunday but who knows. I'm really interested to see what that Sunday taplist is going to be.

cmmatt likes this.
  26. montman

Trader

I wondered the same because I couldn't find it mentioned and asked this question on social media. They said "they will all be on draft and released with each bottle."

27. oldn00b

Trader

I only just now noticed the only SF bottle to get wax this year is the KY Reserve. I also just noticed that BB SF is up to $17 from $15 last year which not a big deal, but man, VSF is up to $20/bottle from $10 for the same size in that pretty blue wax last year.

Gumbo_gravy likes this.
  28. Gumbo_gravy

Gumbo_gravy Aspirant (202) Jan 31, 2015 District of Columbia
    Trader

Really wondering what the justification for both of those moves.

oldn00b likes this.
  29. hoppytobehere

Just stop buying this crap guys.

30. TomCat11

Trader

Not confirmed but I would expect the reason VSF has doubled is due to the fact that the cost of vanilla has skyrocketed over the past year due to some unfortunate weather that hit Madagascar. At least I'm sure that's the response the brewery would give you. https://www.eater.com/2017/10/19/16468074/vanilla-prices-rising.

Sip404, Gumbo_gravy and oldn00b like this.
  31. dcc449

dcc449 Initiate (138) May 4, 2014 Virginia

For better or worse, it all comes down to supply and demand. Prices are high, but they'll probably still sell out of the VSF the day they release it.

I'm just happy they are keeping limits reasonable - the high prices aren't great, but they really do seem to be trying to spread it around a bit (v. trying to have everything sell out the day or the release).

montman likes this.
  32. hoppytobehere

Tell that to Aslin

33. TomCat11

Trader

New line format taking "shape" this week. Your guess is as good as mine with number but someone posted under 100 a few mins ago and apparently staff came out at 2pm to start taking orders from people to help the line move quicker when doors open at 4pm.

[​IMG]

Skins likes this.
  34. TomCat11

Trader

INFO FOR TODAY, TUESDAY APRIL 17TH’S CAN RELEASE:

~Sleeping Forever-12%-2018 anniversary imperial stout
    $22+tax/4-pack; 1x 4-pack per person

~Sleeping Forever-12%-2017 Vintage anniversary imperial stout.
    $6+tax/16oz-can. 1x can per person.

~redferrari-8%-DIPA w/Galaxy and Mosaic
    $16.50+tax/4-pack; 2x 4-packs per person

~greenferrari-8%-DIPA w/Galaxy and Simcoe

~ImdonewithU-11%-0 IBU TIPA w/Citra and Mosaic
    $17.50+tax/4-pack; 2x 4-packs per person

~Never Aloha3(cubed)-5.3%-Triple Hawaiian Punch Gose
    $26+tax/4-pack; 2x 4-packs per person

~dieyoung 5.2% Kellerbier unfiltered lager
    $12.50+tax/4-pack. NO LIMIT.

~Feel Feelings 5.4% unfiltered Helles lager
    $12.50+tax/4-pack. NO LIMIT.

35. abb610

abb610 Aspirant (253) Oct 14, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

Dang, Never Aloha went up to $26

36. TomCat11

Trader

From the posts I've been seeing it appears the pre-sale that took place before opening was a bust. People forget after taking orders for 100+ people that still requires handing your receipt off to staff so they can build the order for you to take once you make your way to the counter.

37. abb610

abb610 Aspirant (253) Oct 14, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

Any word on if it feels like a normal Tuesday release or if it is exceptionally packed etc?

38. TomCat11

Trader

For those heading to The Veil today and curious what made it here is what they posted to IG as what remained as of close last night

Feel Feelings:
    5 cases

Never Aloha3(cubed)
    : 70 cases
    (est 130 cases sold yesterday)

ImdonewithU
    : 60 cases
    (est 140 cases sold yesterday)

redferrari
    : 75 cases
    (est 125 cases sold yesterday)

greenferrari
    (est 140 cases sold yesterday)

'18 Sleeping Forever
    (est. 60 cases sold yesterday)

SOLD OUT
    - Green/Blaze Orange Anniversary Shirts
    - Green Anniversary Glasses
    - '17 Sleeping Forever

**All other glassware still available**

And to save you the scrolling here's what's new expected for today (Wed)

BOTTLES:
    ~Bourbon Barrel Aged Sleeping Forever-13%-anniversary imperial Stout aged in Buffalo Trace bourbon barrels for 12 months-500ml bottles and limited 1.5L magnums available
    - approx 1,100x 500ml bottles; $17+tax/500ml bottle; 2x bottles per person
    - approx 30x 1.5L magnums also available; $60+tax/magnum; 1x magnum per person

~Sauvage-3.7%-barrel fermented Brett table beer aged in red wine barrels-750ml bottles and limited 1.5L magnums available
    - approx 400x 750ml bottles; $16+tax/750ml; 1x 750ml per person;
    - approx 20x 1.5L magnums also available; $50+tax/magnum; 1x magnum per person

Skins likes this.
  39. oldn00b

Trader

Yesterday really was about as "normal" as could be for a release aside from a few positives. Wait was about 1hr40 which is far from the worst I've had. Line moved slower than expected with the pre-orders but there was basically never a draft line - with the extra staff it just flew. They also had the specialty merch for sale at a separate table after you got cans which I wish they would always do with all merch but the line would have been much slower yesterday otherwise. Low limits helped and anyone who gambled on holding off until today will likely see that pay off.

Also Green Ferrari is just fantastic.

Gumbo_gravy, montman and cmmatt like this.
  40. TomCat11

Trader

INFO FOR TODAY, WEDNESDAY APRIL 18TH’S CAN / BOTTLE RELEASE:

BOTTLES
    ~Sauvage-3.7%-barrel fermented table beer
    - $16+tax/750ml; 1x 750ml per person;
    - 20x 1.5L magnums also available; $50+tax/magnum; 1x magnum per person

~Bourbon BA Sleeping Forever-13%-anniversary imperial stout aged in Buffalo Trace barrels for 12 months *contains lactose*
    - $17+tax/500ml bottle; 2x bottles per person;
    - 30x 1.5L magnums also available; $60+tax/magnum; 1x magnum per person

CANS
    ~Sleeping Forever-12%-2018 anniversary imperial stout
    $22+tax/4-pack; 1x 4-pack per person

~redferrari-8%-DIPA w/Galaxy and Mosaic

~greenferrari-8%-DIPA w/Galaxy and Simcoe

~ImdonewithU-11%-0 IBU TIPA w/Citra and Mosaic
    $17.50+tax/4-pack; 2x 4-packs per person

~Never Aloha3(cubed)-5.3%-Triple Hawaiian Punch Gose
    $26+tax/4-pack; 2x 4-packs per person

~dieyoung 5.2% Kellerbier unfiltered lager
    $12.50+tax/4-pack. NO LIMIT

~Feel Feelings 5.4% unfiltered Helles lager
    $12.50+tax/4-pack. NO LIMIT

MERCH

~baby blue color way 2nd Anniversary Glass.
    $6+tax each/1 per person

~dual logo/flip-side Willi(white ink)
    $6+tax each-NO LIMIT

~hand/hanky logo w/o text(gold ink*hand-wash only*
    $10+tax each-NO LIMIT

~tri-logo(neon ink)-(not being made again!)
    $6+tax-NO LIMIT

#2640 TomCat11, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.