The Veil Brewing - Richmond

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Arsenal_MC, Apr 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (341) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

So with the separate merch table, was it necessary to go through the can line before going to the merch table, or was there a separate line for merch? I would have liked one of those green shirts but figured you'd have to line up with can people like they've done in the past.

2. oldn00b

oldn00b Champion (890) Feb 23, 2015 Virginia
    Trader

Yep you definitely had to go through the line to get any merch. And all the normal merch (non limited glasses, tshirts, whatever else they're selling these days) was sold with the cans. But after you got cans you'd scoot over to the right and buy the limited glass and shirts. I think this was just to try to speed the can line along for folks who weren't there for the special merch. Coulda been better but it was at least an improvement imo.

3. beernuts

Trader

Kudos to The Veil for being ready for this week. I got in line at about 5:15 with maybe 50 people in front of me and was out by about 5:35. The low limits and increased staff is making for a very customer-friendly experience.

Sip404, oldn00b, Gumbo_gravy and 5 others like this.
  4. TomCat11

TomCat11 Zealot (516) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Remaining availability as of close Wed...
    - redferrari: 15 cases
    - '18 SF: 25 cases

BOTTLES (assume these are total bottles)
    - Sauvage: 110 bottles
    - BBA SF: 390 bottles

MERCH
    - gold hand / hanky house stemmed glass
    - white ink dual logo / fip side willi

SOLD OUT
    - greenferrari
    - BBA SF magnums
    - Sauvage magnums
    - baby blue anniv glass
    - neon tri-logo willi

Expected Release today (Thurs)
    - Apple Brandy Barrel Aged Sleeping Forever-13%-anniversary imperial Stout aged in Laird’s Apple Brandy barrels for 13 months
    * 1,750x 500ml bottles; $17+tax/500ml bottle; 3x bottles per person

- Stolen Days-5.2%-blended mixed fermentation ales aged in wine barrels
    * 600x 750ml bottles; $20+tax/750ml; 2x 750mls per person
    * 20x 1.5L magnums; $60+tax/magnum; 1x magnum per person

MERCH:

- limited anniversary glassware color-way: SILVER

5. TomCat11

Trader

Remaining availability as of close last night (Thurs)...

- white ink dual logo / flip side Willi
    - gold hand / hanky stemmed house glass

Today's Releases

- Frederiksdal(Danish Cherry Wine) Barrel Aged Sleeping Forever-13%-500ml bottles and limited 1.5L magnums available(
    * 1,750x 500ml bottles; $17+tax/500ml bottle; 4x bottles per person
    * 20x 1.5L magnums also available; $60+tax/magnum; 1x magnum per person

- Raspberry All That You Are-5.6%-Spelt Farmhouse Inspired Ale aged on whole local raspberries-375ml bottles and limited 1.5L magnums available
    * 900x 375ml bottles; $15+tax/375ml; 1x 375ml per person
    * 70x 1.5L magnums also available; $70+tax/magnum; 1x magnum per person*)

- limited anniversary glassware color-way: RED

6. Sip404

Sip404 Initiate (77) Feb 27, 2017 Virginia
    Trader

Hey folks, I haven’t been for any of the anni releases but it sounds like a shit show

How shitty will Sunday’s line be?

7. Vikings1201

Vikings1201 Aspirant (237) Sep 8, 2012 North Carolina
    Trader

Keep in mind it’s 1pp, I don’t think I’ve been to a Veil release yet that had more than 300 people in line by opening.

8. Sip404

Trader

I know part of this will depend on the hype sauce Monkish, et al bring but I was hearing 50 or so in line around 3 hours before open on Tuesday so I fear Sunday will be like the Trillium event.

9. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (279) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

What is Sunday?

10. TomCat11

Trader

I have also not been any this week and won't have time to get down this weekend but from posts I have been following I think the only full on shit show day was Tuesday. Other than that it seems like the past 2 days have gone rather smooth even with longer lines. They appear to be moving pretty quickly.

Keep in mind also that KY Reserve is $65 a damn 500ml bottle. Let's not forget those 2 $10/per glasses that are included to help justify that cost but how many people in their right mind will freely be dropping that much money for what amounts to $4.05.ounce (full cost) or $2.80/ounce if you subtract what the glasses should cost if sold separately..........I guess I better back track that statement. There will no doubt be people excited to do it but I'm not one of them. I would be more excited about the guest taps than bottle if I were going and be happy to try it on draft for the tick.

montman and Sip404 like this.
  11. oldn00b

Trader

The line for bottles/cans/merch will be considerable but I'd be surprised if it's worse than any other day this week. The addition of all the crazy draft is an interesting factor and I wonder how many people will show up early just to grab pours but not bother with the bottle line.

The Trillium event I think was truly a learning event for them. Sunday will be tickets for draft pours, that cuts down on transaction time. Beers will be poured inside and outside. There will be a considerable amount of volunteer staff helping out. Veil will sell beer tickets to people in line ahead of opening so earliest in line should be able to just walk up and grab pours immediately.

It will be crowded to say the least. But I have faith they are going to do a great job of preventing the Trill shitshow from ever happening again.

Edit: word is full draft list should drop today.

12. TomCat11

Trader

**GUEST TAPS FOR SUNDAY**

Other Half Brewing Company:
    -Triple Cream - 10% - Triple Dry Hopped Imperial Oat Cream IPA with lactose, tons of oats, Wai-iti, Kohatu, Ekuanot, Citra, Citra Lupulin Powder, and Galaxy

-The Green In Your Area - 8.7% - Imperial India Pale Ale with Galaxy, Simcoe, El Dorado, and Enigma

-Double Dry Hopped Mylar Bags - 8.5% - Imperial India Pale Ale with Amarillo, Galaxy, Citra, Mosaic, El Dorado, Citra lupulin powder, Mosaic lupulin powder, and Galaxy

-Double Dry Hopped All Citra Everything - 8.5% - DDH Citra Imperial Pale Ale

Monkish Brewing Co.:
    -Biggie Biggie Biggie - 10.2% - An El Dorado and Galaxy dry-hopped TRIPLE IPA!

-Rinse In Riffs - 8.4% - Double dry hopped version of "Bathe In Bass Lines” DIPA, overloaded with Galaxy and Citra hops.

-The Realness - 8% - DDH version of Really Real DIPA using the same hops, Galaxy and Amarillo!

-Black Kisses - 7.7% - Barrel-fermented saison with blackberries and black currants

Tired Hands Brewing Company:
    -Specialty Ale: Refreshing - 8% - Double IPA with oats, Galaxy, Citra, and Lemon Drop

-Saison Hands - 4.8% - Four-Grain Saison. Brewed with rye, oats, wheat and Cascade hops

Jester King Brewery:
    -Atrial Rubicite - 5.8% - Atrial Rubicite is made from well water, barley, wheat, hops, farmhouse, native yeast from the Texas Hill Country, souring bacteria and raspberries. It’s 5.8% alcohol by volume, has a finishing gravity of 1.005 and is 3.36 pH. It is unfiltered, unpasteurized and 100% bottle conditioned.

Trillium Brewing Company:
    -Plum Super Soak - 7.1% -
    Super Soak: our Soak series amped up with a bigger malt bill, increased ABV, and twice the amount of fruit as Soak. While still sour, the higher ABV in Super Soak serves to moderate the lactic acid formation.

-Macaroon - 12.3% -
    We teamed up with our friends at The Veil Brewing Co. to brew the latest iteration of our dessert stout line: Macaroon, inspired by the delicious coconut pastry of the same name.

Macaroon presents an inky, opaque black and leads with a rich, wafting nose of coconut, chocolate milk, hazelnut, and marzipan. A thick, creamy mouthfeel is complemented by flavors of Mounds bars, powdered chocolate milk, and a chocolatey hazelnut. Macaroon is decadent, rich and drinkable.

-Permutation 32 - 9.2% -
    Permutation is our experimental series of small batch offerings, showcasing the unique visions and innovative concepts developed by our brewing and cellar crew.

Permutation Series #32 beckons with a powerful pineapple, melon, and orange creamsicle nose. A cantaloupe and pithy grapefruit palate with soft bitterness is complemented by a pillowy, full mouthfeel.

Bissell Brothers:
    - Swish - 8% - Our Double IPA. Citra, Mosaic, Simcoe, Apollo.

***will be tapped after Swish kicks***
    - Big Small World - 5.5% - Our first beer to feature a grain bill grown entirely in Maine, this APA also packs a globetrotting hop punch from Hallertau Blanc (DEU) Galaxy (AUS) and Motueka (NZL). The rise of beer as culture and art have enabled producers to source ingredients the world over, while selling the finished product locally, to a relatively small audience. It's a big small world we now live in, thanks to beer's newfound renaissance!

Oxbow Brewing Company:
    - Cavern - 6.5% - Barrel-aged/fermented blonde farmhouse ale spiced w/ cara cara orange juice & zest.

**will be rapped after Cavern kicks**
    - BA Sasuga - 6% -Barrel Aged saison

***We will be selling non-refundable drink tickets all day for the event that are only valid for 4/22 so please purchase drink tickets mindfully.***

#2652 TomCat11, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  13. Sip404

Trader

I've attended most of Veil's major events and I know they do a good job, etc. I'm just afraid most of those draft options will be gone and bottles will be very hard to come by if the hype is at peak levels. I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst and showing up around 4 hours before open because I hate myself.

hoppytobehere and oldn00b like this.
  14. montman

montman Devotee (415) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

Actually it was pretty smooth yesterday. Got there a little bit before 4 & they took our orders while in line. The line moved pretty quick once they opened, certainly faster than usual. Practically zero line for draft while I was there, a lot of people behind the bar.

Sunday could be rough though, a lot of people want to ensure the reserve.

#2654 montman, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  15. beernuts

Trader

I don't think it will be nearly as bad as you're expecting. As far as lining up early, I feel like you either get there early enough for magnums (4 hours might be early enough) or you just wait and make sure you get there early enough for coconut bottles, for which 1 hour early is probably safe. The draft options are ridiculous too, you probably won't get to try everything you want but there are more "wow" beers than "meh" beers on that list so I don't think all the good shit will be gone immediately.

montman likes this.
  16. abb610

abb610 Aspirant (253) Oct 14, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

Ive been the last 2 days and they have been incredibly efficient with the whole process. There were at least 5 people taking bottle orders supplemented with another 3 or 4 packing cases. There have been 5+ bartenders taking beer orders. I waited maybe an hour for bottles wed and no more than 4-5 mins for pours

montman and Sip404 like this.
  17. Sip404

Trader

Yeah, I expect it not to be terrible, but I'm hoping getting there earlier will allow me to have a lot more of the great beers I really want (mostly Monkish and OH). But yeah, I'm sure it'll all go fast. The tap list is surprisingly good.

18. TomCat11

Trader

Remaining as of close last night (Friday)...Posts in BTV have roughly 30 people already in line as of a little before 8am.

Releasing TODAY...

CANS:
    ~whiteferrari-8%-Galaxy/Citra
    (approx 400-450x cases; $16.50+tax/4-pack; 1x case/6x 4-packs per person)

BOTTLES:
    ~Vanilla Sleeping Forever-12%-anniversary imperial stout conditioned on vanilla beans-500ml bottles and limited 1.5L magnums available
    - approx 500x 500ml bottles; $20+tax/500ml bottle; 1x bottle per person
    - approx 10x 1.5L magnums also available; $70+tax/magnum; 1x magnum per person

MERCH:
    ~limited anniversary glassware color-way: WHITE
    ~limited anniversary t-shirt color-way: BLACK W/ HOT PINK AND NEON YELLOW INK

19. Vikings1201

Trader

This might be a first, there has to be around 300 people in line at the moment.

20. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (279) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Aren't y'all supposed to be in church on Sunday morning?

21. TomCat11

Trader

Tomorrow's, 4/24, releases...

~Special Combo #3-9%-brand new tasty DIPA for y’all
    (approx 160-185x cases; $16.50+tax/4-pack; 2x cases/12x 4-packs pp)

~Apri-Guav Tastee-5.5%-smoothie style sour ale with Apricot, Guava, and Lactose
    (approx 180-205x cases; $21+tax/4-pack; 2x cases/12x 4-packs pp;

~Paul from Cloudwater-11%-DDH Cheeky TIPA made in honor of our good friend Paul from Cloudwater Brew Co hopped with his favorite hops Citra, Enigma, Vic Secret, Loral, Chinook, and Ekuanot using the same English yeast as Chubbles
    (185-210x cases; $19+tax/4-pack; 2x cases/12x 4-packs pp)

~Paul from Cloudwater Teku glasses
    approx 200x glasses; $13+tax each; 2x glasses per person

*WE MOST LIKELY WILL HAVE SOME WHITEFERRARI AND DIE YOUNG CANS LEFT FOR TUESDAY. ANYTHING LEFT WILL BE AVAILABLE AT NO LIMIT.*

22. cmmatt

cmmatt Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2011 North Carolina

Just wanted to say how truly impressed I was with the Veil Anniversary celebration. I've never been to a better run event each day. Lines were manageable and there was plenty of beer for everyone. Whole staff should be commended. Sunday's event was insanely good of the offerings. Great first trip to Richmond, will be back 100 percent. Only question is, how in the world is Veil going to top this next year?

montman, Ianrem7, TomCat11 and 2 others like this.
  23. Dino_like_dinosaur

Dino_like_dinosaur Initiate (63) Jan 7, 2017 New York
    Trader

Hey guys, newbie question!

I'm coming down from NY this coming Saturday, and will be arriving around 4-5pm at the brewery. Do you think there would be a line for cans (if available) around that time?

Any other tips are also welcome!

Cheers

24. beernuts

Trader

If cans are available, there will be no line at 4-5 pm Saturday. Typically it will be slim pickings by that point, but you might get lucky this week since the anniversary week just ended.

Dino_like_dinosaur likes this.
  25. Dino_like_dinosaur

Dino_like_dinosaur Initiate (63) Jan 7, 2017 New York
    Trader

Cool deal, thanks man!

26. TomCat11

Trader

If you are making a list of stops be sure to add Final Gravity, Triple Crossing and The Answer to your list.

Triple Crossing will be releasing 2 cans on Friday so there should still be some left on Sat.

If you may also plan to check out Hardywood's new West Creek facility they may charge for parking still if their main lots of 200 spaces get filled and have to use the overflow. The 200 spaces are theirs and free but overflow is contracted and charged $3/car. I still have not been yet so not sure if they still have that many people coming out there on weekends since it's been a couple weeks since the Grand Opening. Supposed to be nice weather in the 70s this weekend though.

27. TomCat11

Trader

INFO FOR TODAY, TUESDAY APRIL 24TH’S CAN/RELEASE:

- BB-8%-DIPA w/Citra, Amarillo, Galaxy, and Vic Secret.
    $16.50+tax/4-pack; 2x cases/12x 4-packs pp)

- Special Combo #3-9%-DIPA
    $16.50+tax/4-pack; 2x cases/12x 4-packs pp)

- Apri-Guav Tastee-5.5%-smoothie style sour ale with Apricot, Guava, and Lactose
    $21+tax/4-pack; 2x cases/12x 4-packs pp

- Paul from Cloudwater-11%-DDH Cheeky TIPA made in honor of our good friend Paul from Cloudwater Brew Co hopped with his favorite hops Citra, Enigma, Vic Secret, Loral, Chinook, and Ekuanot using the same English yeast as Chubbles.
    $19+tax/4-pack; 2x cases/12x 4-packs pp

- Paul from Cloudwater Teku glasses-approx 200x glasses
    $13+tax each; 2x glasses per person

- whiteferrari 8% DIPA hopped with Citra and Galaxy.
    $16.50+tax/4-pack. 1x case/6x 4-packs per person.

- dieyoung 5.2% Kellerbier unfiltered lager
    $12.50+tax/4-pack. NO LIMIT.

**Anniversary Merch and New Hoodies are available in the tasting room and on our web store**

28. oldn00b

Trader

I meant to say so sooner, but I'm echoing just how well everything went for the anniversary week. I was originally unsure with the format but the times I went they knocked it out of the park. And thanks to the help of a fellow BA (not trying to put him on blast but credit where it's due) I was able to put together a set of the SF bottles with only a couple visits myself.

Sunday was so well run it's crazy. What looked like it was going to be sheer madness ran like a well oiled machine. They released more than the 300 sets they promised (327 to be exact) and sold them all in under an hour and a half - that is just unheard of. The line was the longest I've personally seen, but they had it into the lot in about 30 minutes and it was gone entirely in under 2 hours. They had great beer, plenty of it. Really had to look hard to find something wrong.

abb610, Sip404, montman and 2 others like this.
  29. Sip404

Trader

Glad to hear this from you and @cmmatt I ended up not going down on Sunday (the one day I could make it) after suspecting the line would be nuts. I'm glad that Veil has more or less figured out how to meet demand at its highest (for now anyway). I'm hoping that once the other location opens there'll only be a few releases that really warrant "line life" unless one is after magnum bottles of course.

abb610, oldn00b and montman like this.
  30. montman

montman Devotee (415) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

While there were lines every day (I stood in some), Sunday was the only day you had to stand in a line to get bottles. Also the frequent carryover made it nice to skip a day and get two days worth of releases at once. They really did an excellent job.

Sip404 and oldn00b like this.
  31. Vikings1201

Trader

Definitely agree, I thought Sunday was handled great especially considering the size of the line. Surprised the anniversary glasses sold out before the box sets, hopefully the make more next year.

Also, the bourbon coconut variant was incredible, worth the wait in line alone but the reserve was a slight disappointment, I preferred the regular bourbon.

Sip404 and oldn00b like this.
  32. oldn00b

Trader

I'm surprised how many people were in line that early. I would like to know what time the last people to get a box set/coconut were in line. From what I saw, it looked like folks there even ~11 were in time for a set but I'm not certain. If they can take a cue from how quickly they moved that line, or continue to add more POS systems when they have larger release days (4 cans, 1 bottle, limited glass, new shirts all on a day for instance) what line there is will be served in no time.

It was 100 glasses vs. 300+ box sets so sort of makes sense they sold out first.

That's a bummer about the reserve though - I got a small taste and thought it was fantastic but haven't tried this year's bourbon SF yet. Considering the Reserve was in barrels before they opened, it's not surprising the newer base beers are better, but that is still disappointing given the price.

Sip404 likes this.
  33. Vikings1201

Trader

I was in line at 9:30 AM, there were 8 box sets left after I purchased one.

oldn00b likes this.
  34. oldn00b

Trader

Wow I was way off, so then folks prob had to be in line before 10 to get coconut I'd assume.

35. Henryb22

Henryb22 Initiate (93) Jun 18, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

Anyone had this weeks releases? Interested to see how special combo and B.B. are.

36. oldn00b

Trader

I haven't had Apri Guav yet. Combo 3 I like better than combo 2 (didn't have 1), more full feel, a bit hazier, and the hop profile comes through better. It's still a Veil beer, but I feel like you definitely get they're using a different yeast strain. I felt like combo 2 fell apart pretty quickly and this one seems a bit sturdier (I hope).

BB seems a bit young and like it'll be a bit better in a week or so. I think it's a good hop combo. I know there's a lot of "samesies" with Veil releases but I had a hard time thinking of what other release it was similar to - I'd say Fake Love comes to mind, but less hazy and not quite as bright.

Paul is a top tier triple though. It might not be Chubbles but it's up there with Prblms for me. I'm not sorry I got any of them.

montman likes this.
  37. Henryb22

Henryb22 Initiate (93) Jun 18, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

Thanks, I got B.B. but not special combo. I’m heading up there next weekend so hopefully this coming weeks release is a good one.

38. TomCat11

Trader

This week's, 5/1, release.....

~greenbugatti-11%-TIPA w/Simcoe and Galaxy [​IMG] (approx 180-200x cases; $18+tax/4-pack; 2x cases/12x 4-packs pp)

~Never Never Scared Scared-5.1%-Double Guava Gose [​IMG][​IMG] (approx 190-210x cases; $22+tax/4-pack; 2x cases/12x 4-packs pp; **PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF FRUIT IN THIS BEER AND THAT IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THESE CANS REMAIN COLD AT ALL TIMES.**)

~Never Never Satisfied Satisfied-5.1%-Double Sweet Cherry Gose [​IMG][​IMG] (approx 100-120x cases; $22+tax/4-pack; 2x cases/12x 4-packs pp; **PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF FRUIT IN THIS BEER AND THAT IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THESE CANS REMAIN COLD AT ALL TIMES.**)

~Without Warning-8.5%-DIPA w/Mosaic and Vic Secret(approx 50x cases; $16.50+tax/4-pack; 1x case/6x 4-packs per person; **CHECK OUT ALL OF THE PICS TO SEE THE WITHOUT WARNING HOLOGRAM LABEL**)

*WE MOST LIKELY WILL HAVE SOME CANS LEFT OF ALL 4X BRANDS FROM LAST WEEK’S RELEASE (BB, Special Combo #3, Apri-Guav Tastee, Paul From Cloudwater FOR TUESDAY. ANYTHING LEFT WILL BE AVAILABLE AT NO LIMIT.*

39. TomCat11

Trader

Forever Summer Fest date announced...

We are pleased to announce the official date for our annual charity festival called Forever Summer Fest.

This year’s FSF will be held on Saturday August 25th. We’re doing things a little different this year. The festival will most likely be held off site. Also, this year will not be primarily hoppy beer. The theme for this year’s FSF will be wild/funky/sour.

Stay tuned for more details to be announced over the next few weeks.

40. TomCat11

Trader

Lots of cans left for May 2nd (Wed).........

~greenbugatti - $18+tax/4-pack; 2x cases/12x 4-packs pp

~Never Never Scared Scared - $22+tax/4-pack; 2x cases/12x 4-packs pp

~Never Never Satisfied Satisfied - $22+tax/4-pack; 2x cases/12x 4-packs pp

~BB - $16.50+tax/4-pack; NO LIMIT

~Special Combo #3 - $16.50+tax/4-pack; NO LIMIT

~Apri-Guav Tastee - $21+tax/4-pack; NO LIMIT

~Paul from Cloudwater - $19+tax/4-pack; NO LIMIT

~dieyoung - $12.50+tax/4-pack. NO LIMIT

~Paul from Cloudwater Teku - approx 30x glasses; $13+tax each NO LIMIT
    **A limited amount of these glasses are now available on our web store.**

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.