The world needs more Dunkel

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ATL6245, Aug 5, 2022.

1. ATL6245

ATL6245 Meyvn (1,033) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia
    Society

I was curious how BA's feel about Dunkel. I love a well-crafted Dunkel and, despite their dark appearance, they are drinkable year around. I live just north of Atlanta. We don't have a strong German beer heritage around here. So, it's quite difficult to find Dunkel throughout the year. I can think of only one local brewery, Round Trip Brewing, that keeps on pretty much all year. Only a small number of breweries even do one seasonally. How many of you enjoy a good Dunkel and would drink one if you knew it was on tap year around at your local brewery?

2. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Meyvn (1,287) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

I'd try a local Dunkel any old time and go back for more if it were tasty. There are a few!
    Here's a really nice Dunkel Starkbier if you haven't already had it. Cheers!
    [​IMG]

arizcards, TCgenny, rocdoc1 and 13 others like this.
  3. jonphisher

jonphisher Meyvn (1,388) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I enjoy dunkel quite a bit, hofbrau is probably my favorite. In terms of domestic Von Trapp for us is year round and always available here in NJ, there are few and far between after that at your average store though.

Seasonally my favorite, and local brewery, makes theirs available every fall usually sept-nov before brewing their schwarzbier for the winter. It is quite well made and I usually consume my fair share.

4. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,574) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Korbinian isn't a Dunkel, it's a Doppelbock -- which are great, but when you want a nice, melanoidin bready, smooth Munich Dunkel without being kicked by big ABV, maybe not a Doppel.

Then again, maybe cut it with some Helles to bring it down? Dunno. I knew a bartender who made a great Märzen clone by cutting Optimator with Spaten Helles, so maybe. :wink:

5. ATL6245

Society

Oh yeah, very familiar with that world class Doppelbock. There's ANOTHER great beer style hardly anyone does anymore.

6. Resistance88

Resistance88 Zealot (515) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Whats that

BigIronH likes this.
  7. ATL6245

Society

That's great you have at least one source, Von Trap, for year around Dunkel. I've never had theirs but have heard good things about it. The problem with a fall release is that it tends to compete with Oktoberfest beers.

BigIronH and jonphisher like this.
  8. steveh

Society

Hofbräu or Ayinger are the best I've found for available imports. There are some better ones, but they haven't been as accessible lately.

Most Ami-brewed Dunkels I've had rely too much on roasted malts and taste more like Schwarzbier -- and Schwarzbier isn't bad, just not what I want when I want a good Munich Dunkel.

o29, alucard6679, BigIronH and 2 others like this.
  9. Shrewsbrewfan

Shrewsbrewfan Initiate (15) Jul 9, 2021 Massachusetts

I really enjoy them. Von Trapp’s Dunkel is something I frequently have on hand.

10. LesDewitt4beer

Society

Oh. I forgot the Korbinian was a Doppelbock! This past winter I really enjoyed Hofbrau Dunkel but was searching more for xmas brews. That's a pretty easily found Dunkel.

alucard6679, BigIronH and ATL6245 like this.
  11. ATL6245

Society

You hit the nail on the head. Dunkel is nice because of its typically lower ABV. A very sessionable dark beer. A well made one is going to drink like a Helles with those melanoidin bready properties to boot.

BigIronH, crazyspicychef and steveh like this.
  12. steveh

Society

We have a few in the Chicago area that are brewing some very good ones. And HB's Winter Spezial is just about the best thing going for a Winter seasonal.

13. jonphisher

Society Trader

Then I think you would be pleasantly surprised by my local one Tonewood - Dreadnaught. Looking now I haven’t reviewed it actually, incoming in the fall.

tobelerone and BigIronH like this.
  14. ATL6245

Society

That is no surprise. You've still got that German beer lineage in Chicago. Atlanta had a small one pre-prohibition, but the law pretty much killed it. I'm guessing Dovetail makes an outstanding Dunkel.

BigIronH, jonphisher and steveh like this.
  15. steveh

Society

Starkbier, Doppelbock, potato, potahto...

Though there are lighter colored Starkbier, I guess.

BigIronH, ATL6245 and LesDewitt4beer like this.
  16. ShutUpLiver

ShutUpLiver Initiate (168) Nov 29, 2020 Missouri
    Society Trader

Really enjoy Perennial Black Walnut Dunkel when that gets released around here.

17. steveh

Society

Big bready, toasty smooth and slightly sweet? Yeah, that's what I look for.

Too bad I'm not in Jersey. :confused:

18. ATL6245

Society

Do you get KC Bier Co. Dunkel? I've heard that is fantastic.

19. LesDewitt4beer

Society

I bought that bottle in Bloomington, Il at Binny's. They had a good selection of German single bottles.

BigIronH, ATL6245 and steveh like this.
  20. steveh

Society

To tell the truth, Urban Chestnut is probably my favorite domestic. Dovetail cans (how they package) aren't my favorite -- but their draft beers are great. If I ever see a Dunkel from them on draft I'll definitely give it a try.

leinie13, BigIronH and ATL6245 like this.
  21. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,802) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Dunkel is one of my favorite styles. Unfortunately, they're somewhat rare over here in the US. Of the Munich breweries, I think only Hofbrau sends their dunkel stateside. Beyond them, I see Ayinger's here and there, and occasionally Weltenburger. Warsteiner's is fine, but it's definitely not a Munich/Bavarian style dunkel. That's pretty much it as far as imports go. Locally, Bierstadt's is as good as Munich versions, but those cans aren't always around. Prost's is probably #2. The others all have a roasty note that screams "this isn't Bavarian-style" to me.

22. jonphisher

Society Trader

the best part is they opened a new production brewery this year. All the lagers are noticeably cleaner and they carb with a spunding system now; it has dramatically improved mouthfeel/carb.

I cannot wait to try their dunkel and schwarzbier with their new toys.

Never say never…:wink::beers:

Oh and I know you also appreciate clarity; also improved dramatically since the new facility. I’m beyond excited for fall.

23. ShutUpLiver

ShutUpLiver Initiate (168) Nov 29, 2020 Missouri
    Society Trader

I haven't tried it yet, but have been meaning to check out KC Bier Co next time we make the trip.

BigIronH and ATL6245 like this.
  24. steveh

Society

We have a newer, smaller brewery that's making some great lagers (yeah I've raved about them before), but to be honest -- their Dunkel fell short.

That said, I hope it was a learning lesson and they try it again, because they brewed a Vienna Amber that was about as spot-on as anyone would expect.

Add to that their Festbier, Pils, Czech Pils and Helles -- and these guys are on their Lager game.

Oh, and their Doppelbock was to kill for.

25. Providence

Providence Champion (815) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

The more Dunkels the better. This one is listed as Munich Dunkel here on BA.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26520/71819/

The description reads, "Red Tape Lager has a full malty flavor typical of Bavarian dark lagers. It's brewed with 100% Dark Munich Malt. Additions of Glacier hops for bittering and noble German hops for aroma strike a balance between American and European flavors."

I love it. It's their winter seasonal, which is fine by me (though I would drink it year round). It's a great looking beer. Here's a pic (I didn't take it, just found it on google).

[​IMG]

#25 Providence, Aug 5, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    gyorgymarlowe, jgido759, Rug and 9 others like this.
  26. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,982) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I have to ask if there's anyone here who can't get Negra Modelo on a moment's notice. BA says it's a Munich Dunkel, and I'm pretty sure the world has plenty of it.

eppCOS, BigIronH and ATL6245 like this.
  27. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (3,979) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

This is a great one, although not a dunkel as noted! Just had one a few nights ago!

#27 Beersnake1, Aug 5, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  28. steveh

Society

But it really ain't. Thin, acidic, grainy, no big malt character, far from its roots.

29. steveh

Society

Again, not a Dunkel. Great Doppelbock, but not a Munich Dunkel.

BigIronH, Beersnake1 and ATL6245 like this.
  30. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,617) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

A number of small, local craft breweries in my area produce quality Dunkel lagers but only on a rotating basis.

A few weeks ago I saw that Tired Hands had cans of Trendler Dunkel at the Fermentaria. That it is a well brewed Dunkel with mostly toasted dark bread malty flavors just a very slight hint of roastiness.

Cheers!

BigIronH, ATL6245 and jonphisher like this.
  31. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,802) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I consider it to be in the ballpark. Kinda like how I consider Amber Bock to be in the ballpark of a Vienna lager. Considering how rare dunkels are, it scratches that itch in a pinch.

32. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,617) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I discussed Negra Modelo a month ago in a NBW thread:

From the brewery’s website (with emphasis in bold by me):

“Brewed longer to enhance the flavors, this Munich Dunkel-style Lager gives way to a rich flavor and remarkably smooth taste. Modelo Negra contains Water, Barley Malt, Non-malted Cereals and Hops.”

https://www.modelousa.com/products/negra

I would be willing to bet that most of the time “non-malted cereals” = corn (but they likely switch to rice when that grain is cheaper).

Despite the brewery’s marketing spiel of “Munich Dunkel-style Lager” this beer is an adjunct lager. I would personally characterize it as being an AAAL (American Amber Adjuct Lager) akin to a beer like Shiner Bock.

I will on occasion drink a Modelo Negra while visiting a local Mexican Restaurant (goes well with tacos and burritos) but then again so does a Shiner Bock or Yuengling Lager for that matter.

Cheers!

BigIronH, ATL6245 and dcotom like this.
  33. steveh

Society

Really? Not at all for me. It's like a dark Mexican lager to my palate.

BigIronH and ATL6245 like this.
  34. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,982) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Yeah, I figured it was kinda like the Dead Guy Ale - Maibock thing. I do agree that the world needs more von Trapp Dunkel, though. :wink:

mvogt, BigIronH, steveh and 1 other person like this.
  35. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (5,518) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

These are the type of "[insert style] Appreciation Thread" we should be having...

36. Runnerhiker

Runnerhiker Initiate (52) Jun 4, 2019 North Carolina

If you drive a couple of hours north in to the mountains of North Carolina and are in Brevard, stop by Brevard Brewing. All of their beers are excellent, but the Dunkel is my favorite and is always found in my beer fridge http://www.brevard-brewing.com/

37. Braunmeister_1943

Braunmeister_1943 Devotee (456) Nov 22, 2020 Pennsylvania
    Society

I enjoy Dunkel and enjoy them anytime! Dancing Gnome makes a very good Dunkel called “Dunkel “ which I have been able to find! I agree with @jonphisher with von Trapp Dunkel. Really good and I’ve seen it year round!

BigIronH, Spade and ATL6245 like this.
  38. ATL6245

Society

Oh I forgot about Weltenburger. We had that around last couple of years. Man that was good. Disappeared off the shelves. Maybe a victim of Hard Seltzer creep. Good call on that one

BigIronH and steveh like this.
  39. ATL6245

Society

Can't go wrong with Jack's Abby.

40. BJC

BJC Initiate (192) Nov 9, 2002 New Jersey

Von Trapp $9.99 + NJ sales tax at Wegmans at Woodbridge NJ