These Mass. breweries are now open for outdoor drinking

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by AlcahueteJ, Jun 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,943) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

meefmoff likes this.
  2. braineater

braineater Initiate (41) Dec 24, 2005 Massachusetts

It's not. I believe they're another week or two away from opening.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  3. YourDigitalGrave

YourDigitalGrave Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2019 Massachusetts

I don't know why Vanished Valley in Ludlow didn't make the list but they are definitely open for outdoor drinking and dining. They just did a total overhaul and now have a full restaurant that opened (with restrictions) this past week. You can even order from your phone while you are seated so you don't have to talk to a server. Pretty smart. Their menu looks insane but I have yet to try their food.

bostonwolf and AlcahueteJ like this.
  4. ichorNet

ichorNet Poo-Bah (2,095) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

Navigation in Lowell is not open yet, although I think their tent and outdoor area is set up. They're still doing to-go and have food trucks on site, but nothing in terms of actual on-site consumption yet.

Also, The Tap in Haverhill is open. Went the other day and it was great. Recommended.

SunDevilBeer and AlcahueteJ like this.
  5. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (293) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Wachusett was great when I went during a slower time earlier in the week. Easy process and fast delivery of food and beers- I wonder how it is now that everyone knows it is open and it has been slamming busy for the few days. I went to Timberyard today- they had multiple seating areas in the sun and shade, I wish they had some music playing, but it was a nice place to have a beer as well.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  6. YourDigitalGrave

Have you checked out Oakholm yet? It is only 10 minutes from Timberyard. I got to-go beers last week that were better than I expected. They opened for onsite consumption yesterday. Food truck and live music today. People seemed to have had a good time. I can't speak to the amount of shade though.

thedaveofbeer and AlcahueteJ like this.
  7. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (293) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

No I have not, but I will check them out the next time I pass through-thanks

8. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (669) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

A friend of mine went to Lord Hobo in Woburn on Saturday. Limited beer list (3 on draft, about 10 or so cans), no food yet. Everything priced @ $8 (+ tax) in plastic cups. Hard pass, LH used to at least offer decent on-site pricing.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  9. AlcahueteJ

Society

How'd they get away with no food?

10. dele

dele Initiate (113) Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

So frustrating when brewers won't give you a little break for going straight to the source.

When you go to a taproom, you're doing the brewer the enormous favor of letting them collect the entire price of the pint, instead of letting distributors and bars/restaurants take a cut. The least they could do is knock a buck off of what you'd pay elsewhere.

11. YourDigitalGrave

I feel like it is becoming more and more common too. I am talking pre covid. Not a good trend.

hudsonvalleyslim likes this.
  12. AlcahueteJ

Society

Trillium Fenway is opening for patio draft service.

Jack's Abby's beer garden is opening tomorrow as well.

dbphoto04 and dele like this.
  13. SunDevilBeer

I think it was a "soft" opening, whatever that is.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  14. YourDigitalGrave

Soft like mucus membranes. Let that Coronavirus right in.

15. SunDevilBeer

Made a quick visit this afternoon to the recently reopened RiverWalk taproom in Newburyport. Had the whole place practically to myself as a private beergarden.

They’ve made several improvements both indoor & on the patio, they are very serious about social distancing & compliance with rules (& strict use of masks indoors). During the lockdown they’ve installed some pizza ovens & want to really focus on it - didn’t try but looked good.

Also installed an indoor/outdoor stage to have some live music.

If anyone’s a little shy about going back out, I’d highly recommend a visit there. Impressed with how they reopened in what I consider a safe, responsible fashion.

AlcahueteJ, mrmattosgood and jbertsch like this.
  16. forum8417

forum8417 Initiate (155) Feb 1, 2011 New Jersey
    Trader

How is Treehouse not offering on site pours yet for outside? Their setup is perfect for outside offerings.

17. AlcahueteJ

Society

Maybe they’re afraid of lines and crowds?

They didn’t do curbside at first either.

eaglephile and Sheppard like this.
  18. YourDigitalGrave

It has to be this.
    They certainly could check all the boxes for opening requirements if they wanted to.
    It raises an interesting point though. Do they have a social obligation to stay closed beyond that of a typical Massachusetts brewery? If they follow all the state rules, it isn't really their fault if an outbreak is traced back to them.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  19. RKP1967

RKP1967 Disciple (319) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Perhaps they could expand beyond doing on premises just two days a week? Thereby spreading the crowds out? Or just open for on premises on weekdays, thereby avoiding weekend crowds?

I've never been to Tree House. We were planning on stopping by when we're on vacation up there in August. We still might. Were the Saturday crowds so bad that outdoor social distancing would be impossible?

20. YourDigitalGrave

I don't know if I am reading this incorrectly but before covid they were open for pours every day of the week.
    Not a bad idea but weekends are their money maker. Plus I am sure it would upset a lot of people.
    Inside could be a bit chaotic for sure. If you took all those people and moved them outside it would definitely be tough to keep groups six feet apart. I think they would somehow have to limit capacity onsite.

#20 YourDigitalGrave, Jun 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    AlcahueteJ likes this.
  21. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (347) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I thought I recalled they were doing some construction near the entrance since they were doing curbside pickup only. Maybe it's done. My one trip there during all this was about a month ago now.

22. AlcahueteJ

Society

Well that’s the other thing, is on-site consumption their money maker?

It’s selling cans out of the brewery I assume. You’re limited to two pours when you’re there, they can’t be making that much money. It’s almost partly just a courtesy rather than something they rely on.

So if they don’t HAVE to do it, why risk it? In fact, one could argue they have less to gain than other breweries, because if there’s an outbreak, they’d have to shut down operations temporarily.

23. YourDigitalGrave

Good point.
    Now I am wondering how many people go there on a weekend, get two pours, and nothing to go.
    I am also wondering if there is a direct correlation between can and pour purchases. Would most people buy less cans if they know they are getting a couple of pours or are most of the pour purchases just a bonus.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  24. RKP1967

RKP1967 Disciple (319) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

25. YourDigitalGrave

The asterisk is an important distinction. If I remember correctly it states, if the line is long they will wait until they get through it before offering pours. To the best of my knowledge, they have never not (double negative) offered pours.

26. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (133) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

Could be, but also could be they don't want to risk adding more staff now to support pours, or staff don't want to come back to work. A friend manages a restaurant/bar in CT and they are struggling to open. They can't get people to come back to work, because 1) some don't want to risk it, and 2) they're getting enough money from unemployment combined with the weekly federal stimulus of $600. The latter ends July 31st so we'll see if that changes.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  27. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Aspirant (204) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

re:TH, parking and traffic control.

The notion that following state guidelines somehow absolves one of responsibility if an outbreak it traced to your business is a little odd to me. Just because a business follows rules doesnt mean their customers will. Go to any grocery store and watch how poorly people follow the rules.

forum8417, AlcahueteJ and braineater like this.
  28. YourDigitalGrave

Is that the grocery store's fault though?
    I am genuinely curious how people are leaning.

29. forum8417

forum8417 Initiate (155) Feb 1, 2011 New Jersey
    Trader

Have you been to a Home Depot recently?

Trumpetguy likes this.
  30. jbertsch

jbertsch Poo-Bah (1,594) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I haven't been inside but I often drive by the one near me and am astounded that it looks like a world convention in the parking lot.

Sheppard and forum8417 like this.
  31. AlcahueteJ

Society

Nope. But I was talking about Tree House being concerned about crowds and lines. There are some people that clearly have no issue with crowds right now.

32. SunDevilBeer

33. SunDevilBeer

And....no sooner than I post the TX news, FL has banned bars from serving alcohol on premises state-wide (including brewery taprooms). Assume restaurants are next.

AZ - you next?

34. AlcahueteJ

Society

Yeah, I saw this coming when they just decided to open fully like the virus was gone and we conquered it.

Dining and drinking indoors in general, even intelligently, is going to be tough. Outdoors should be ok though.

SunDevilBeer likes this.
  35. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Initiate (127) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts

Burke's Alewerks in Hanover has a tented biergarten up and running .

36. SunDevilBeer

Been few times now to the expanded patio @ Silvaticus in Amesbury. Of course I love their beer, but they’ve really set up a nice <safe> outdoor Biergarten that even the COVID-shy folks shouldn’t have a problem with. Plus they have their Oblivion dark coffee lager back on tap which is quite delicious.

rhino88888888 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  37. AlcahueteJ

Society

How's the set up?

Notch's is the only one I've been to, but it's the safest I've heard of, being completely contactless.

38. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Aspirant (277) Nov 6, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Trader

I’d be interested to know this too. I was considering heading to Silvaticus either this week or next. Probably just to pick up and go but it’d be nice to sit and have one.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  39. AlcahueteJ

Society

At Notch there's virtually no difference between picking up cans to go and a draft.

Except you don't take the draft "to go", you just go sit at a table by yourself. I've said this before, but I REALLY hope they keep this system, because then it cuts WAY back on lines.

40. SunDevilBeer

Several picnic tables on the patio & expanded on to the sidewalk for barstools/barrels (for solo folks and parties of two). Plenty of shade to beat the heat and seats are well spaced out. Everything's table service by servers wearing masks and gloves. Also, name and # are taken for contact tracing. Strict mask policy for when away from table and using the restroom indoors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.