Great Britain Thomas Hardy Ale..question

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Bitterbill, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,127) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Supporter Beer Trader

Whom do YOU think would do best justice to brewing the above beer again?

2. coltsr2

coltsr2 Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 United Kingdom (England)

'Brewdog'.....they have the flexibility and skills though i doubt they would be bothered......i doubt anyone else would even consider doing it.......even O'Hanlons said it was a loss making beer when they resurrected it from 2003-2008...in 2009 O'Hanlon's announced that production of it was to cease due to the time and expense of production!...let that be a hint i guess...

3. coltsr2

4. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Poo-Bah (1,721) Jan 24, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

Haha

"skills"

It's not cool enough for them to make a mediocre ale and say that the only reason people don't think it's brilliant is that they're not ready for the punk revolution and blah blah bollocks like that.

Hoppsbabo likes this.
  5. marquis

marquis Crusader (726) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

Absolutely agree. The skill I associate them with is the ability to make high ABV beers taste like those of half the strength.I tried their Double IPA from Tesco last summer expecting fireworks and got a damp squib.

6. reprob8

reprob8 Initiate (94) May 22, 2008 United Kingdom (England)

The rights to brew have been purchased by an overseas brewer who are currently investigating the purchase of a UK brewery.

7. reprob8

so wrong, unless you mean the flexibility to get Meantime to brew for them?

Zimbo likes this.
  8. CwrwAmByth

They do the occasional really nice beer, but it's just too hit-and-miss for me to be able to call them skilled brewers.

9. coltsr2

Well apart from you lot taking the proverbial piss..who DO YOU suggest...'Fullers' are another potential option ....but i doubt it..the list is endless...but it wont happen unless its economically viable..

AND Brewdogs Hardcore IPA is a great beer! backed up by lots of positive reviews on this site which rate it exceptional!..so whoever slags it off is a bit sad and in the minority there!...

There are far worse breweries out there than Brewdog....and brewing Thomas hardys ale isnt rocket science!..any decent home brewer could easily accomplish it if they knew the exact ingredients used!...shows how much you all know about brewing beer!

This is about the economics of brewing this beer and making it profitable!...any brewer with half a brain could brew it!...BUT The rights to the original recipe and the name are owned by U.S. importer George Saxon, who had bought the rights to the beer from the original brewer Eldridge Pope... So unless someone can strike a deal with him it wont happen...Fullers already said they will do it if they can use their own name..so it wouldnt really be Thomas Hardy Ale then would it!..why would they want to brew it and pay Saxon easy money and yet it not even be a fullers branded product......

HEY HERE'S A SIMPLE SUGGESTION FOR YOU LOT OF WHINNYING OLD WOMEN....instead of just taking the piss out of my suggestion..may i suggest that you READ the original question in the original thread and OFFER your OWN original opinions on that!..all you seem capable is to digress from the original question and slag Brewdog off!..that's not contributing ANYTHING to this thread is it!...

Bitterbill likes this.
  10. CwrwAmByth

You're not contributing either, acting like what internet goers might term , a "butthurt" brewdog fanboy.

And on the contrary, the fact that you think using the same recipe will lead to exactly the same beer shows how little you know about brewing.

11. surfadelic23

surfadelic23 Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2005 Florida

Someone's got his panties in a bunch this morning! Chin up, it will all be ok!

12. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,267) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

An Italian company - described as "a brewery holding, founded in 2009" - called Brew Invest has already struck a deal with Saxon, and they now own brand. http://www.thomashardysale.com/wordpress/gallery/

Bitterbill's OP is based on that new ownership and their hunt for a new contract brewer in the UK:

...as being discussed over in the "Beer News" forum - Thomas Hardy's Ale making another comeback

coltsr2 likes this.
  13. tewaris

tewaris Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2009 Minnesota

If selling for almost 10 dollars a bottle isn't profitable, I don't know what is :astonished:

Edit: How is JW staying in business? I find JW a tad better than Thomas Hardy but that might just be the individual taste.

14. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

I'd say Black Sheep would take a respectable whack at getting this beer going again.

Now that I've offered my own opinion, I'll tell coltsr2 that he shouldn't judge a Scottish brewery based on the ratings that they get from a US website. They have fairly high ratings for some of their beers because they appeal to the Americans' coarsely developed palates that demand to have the top of their heads blown off or it isn't worth drinking. Subtlety and nuance of craftsmanship are not appreciated currently in the states, so do not equate a high score here with an unarguably good beer or a skillful brewer.

15. reprob8

that made me chuckle. You should take it up professionally.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  16. tewaris

tewaris Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2009 Minnesota

While I am neither American nor English/Scot, it seems to me that Brewdog tries very hard (and fails) at beating American style beers at their own game.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  17. CwrwAmByth

That's about right, though it's more like sucking up and riding on the success of American style craft than competing.

Happily though, there are lots of newer brewers from England, Scotland and Wales who do a great job with craft brewing.

EmperorBevis, jmw and tewaris like this.
  18. Ruds

Ruds Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2008 United Kingdom (England)

Punk IPA is as good as most 5/6 % ABV American IPA's I've had, and better than quite a few.

I don't think they necessarily try hard, nor do they fail !

19. CwrwAmByth

I think with hardcore they failed. Compared to great US style DIPAs I've had it was disgusting! Give me Victory Hop Wallop, DFH 90 Min or Tiny Rebel Hadouken any day of the week over that.

That said, 5am, Punk, 77 Lager were all solid beers. Nothing spectacular though.

20. marquis

When we tried 5 am Saint we couldn't finish it between us. Considering it was one of those derisory 330 ml "toy" bottles that's saying something.
    77 Lager tasted like a 3.5% light mild (see my review)
    Hardcore and Trashy Blonde missed the target by a mile.Very average.
    Rip Tide Stout was all initial impact, lacked body and aftertaste.Where did the 8.5% ABV go? Could have been 5%.
    My abiding impression of the beers -they simply don't fight their weight , pleasant enough but basically unimpressive and outclassed by breweries who just get on with brewing without all the singing and dancing.

21. CwrwAmByth

Yes it's the attitude and advertising that goes with the beers that makes it bad. If they didn't have it they'd just be one of the new wave of cool british craft brewers. Of course they'd make a lot less money that way too, just like if they made their fantastic beers like Hops Kill part of their main selection. Oh well.

22. Ruds

I don't think Hardcore missed the target by much at all. It's a decent middle ranking DIPA in my eyes.
    What beers are you comapring it against that you put at the top of the DIPA tree?

Rip Tide I agree - it was average and way too thin.

23. Ruds

Hardcore holds it own against Hop Wallop and is maybe shaded a touch by 90 min, but by no means do they push it far into the background.

I've had Hardcore on a semi regular basis since it first came out (3 years now? ) and as recently as 6 weeks ago or so and I really can't see where you get this 'disgusting' tag from other than wishing to bash Brewdog which on this site is just as fashionable as being a Brewdog fanboy (as the Brewdog bashers would say !)

24. marquis

My beef against hardcore IPA is that it doesn't deliver as a beer of that strength should.I've had much lower ABV beers which have impressed me with amazing presence for the strength; Hardcore IPA goes the other way.I judge a beer according to its peers and it struggles.

25. CwrwAmByth

Maybe I had an off batch. Is it as hit and miss as they say punk is?

26. Ruds

I've never had hit and miss issues with either, but as with any hoppy beer it needs to be drank whilst it is fresh and not dumped in a cupboard for a few months!

Where did you get yours from ?

Mine have all been from either Tesco or Sainsburys where the turnover is good.

If it came from an independant shop there 'may' be more chance of it having languished on the shelves?

27. Ruds

I compare it to other DIPA's - that's what it is, I see little point in comapring it to lower ABV beers !?!

I really enjoyed Mallinsons Mount Pleasant mild which I gave a higher score to than Hardcore, but this isn't a peer is it ?

28. CwrwAmByth

Sainsburys and drunk the same night! :confused: Maybe there's a different hop in it that my palate can't handle. It's weird though, looking back I loved all of the (admittedly few) DIPAs I've tried, but I found Hardcore practically undrinkable.

29. jmw

Brewdog seem to be very much on the minds of UK BAs whether liked or not. If they are reading in, I'd bet they are chortling that, love or hate, they seem to be a popular topic of conversation.

So what about that Thomas Hardy ale?

CwrwAmByth likes this.
  30. marquis

There seems little point in brewing beers of this strength unless the extra ingredients add something.If I can get the same sensation from a beer of half the strength then I can drink twice as much or drink the same and pay less.It just seems pointless to brew a strong beer which is bland for its strength.

31. Ruds

I don't think its bland - yes there are better DIPA's but bland no !

Maybe DIPA's just aren't your thing as opposed to BD Hardcore specifically which you have singled out many a time !?

32. marquis

Not had many DIPAs to be honest.But I expect 9.2% beers to do the business, otherwise how do they justify their strength?
    I didn't say it was bland in an absolute sense. But it's certainly bland for a beer of that gravity.

33. coltsr2

I still see the likes of 'CwrwAmByth' and his sweet girlfriends contributing NOTHING whatsoever to do with the original question!..Whats the problem dude!..its easy to slag a brewery off or be negative about a beer..BUT whats YOUR POSITIVE contribution to the posters original question?...you seem an expert on preferring to digress upon the negative abilities of brewdogs products!......BUT what is your answer to the original question dude!..how hard can it be for you?..please..you seem to be an expert like some other lassies here with pretentious delusions...so answer the original question if your capable!

34. WhatANicePub

WhatANicePub Initiate (182) Jul 1, 2009 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Are you old enough to drink beer?

35. CwrwAmByth

Doesn't seem old enough to be allowed near a computer to be honest.

reprob8 likes this.
  36. jmw

I responded to the OP, so maybe you'll let me speak.
    I see you've only been on here about a week. Welcome. The UK/Ireland forum is a civil place. We do not call each other 'sweet girlfriends' or 'lassies' unless we know for a fact that our intended recipient is in fact that. We do not USE all CAPS unless we know our intended recipient is HARD OF HEARING. The familiar "dude" is hardly ever seen at all in this region. We generally do not respond to most things in as vitriolic a manner as you have, especially considering that the OP is not your question. This thread obviously turned into a discussion about Brewdog, and there's nothing really wrong with that. Turns in conversation happen. And you don't have to agree with the flow of it, but you really should try to be a bit more tolerant. Perhaps you are invested in Brewdog on more than a passionate level?

And by the way, some of the "lassies here with pretentious delusions" that regularly post are, in fact, experts. Some have decades of research and writing under their belts. Folks like marquis, jesskidden, pattro1...you should hear them out. If you'd hold your tongue you may learn something from them.

edit: I'll probably get timed out for this

drtth and CwrwAmByth like this.
  37. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Poo-Bah (3,354) Sep 25, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

hey there sexy girlfiend :confused:

38. Ruds

And you don't sniff troll ?!?

This is clearly someone incognito

Not even a good troll - nowhere near !

I've been around the world of internet forums over the past 15+ years, sports, railways, beers amongst others

This is a classic first attempt at trolling - going in way OTT - not subtle enough

Try harder next time 3/10

39. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Poo-Bah (3,354) Sep 25, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

To answer the initial question, you know what, I am not sure there is a brewery left with a mixture of experience, history and passion for great beer.

As for the Brewdog rants
    You brought up their name, which I liken to throwing the name Jack Whitehall into a conversation about comedy

Yeah sure really popular among chinless townies with more money than sense and good luck to him
    but I wouldn't see him onstage if they gave me a fifty pound note and the S'mor Schnapps serving wench from
    South Park served 'Sink the Bismark' to me off her nipples.

40. jmw

hmmmm...I've been had?
    in looking at other posts of his, at least I'll say he's a consistent troll

edit: Hey! Is this ReluctantScoop?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.