Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Three Breweries to Visit in Denver are...?

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by bditty187, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bditty187

bditty187 Jul 10, 2002 Nebraska

1. Crooked Stave
    2. Great Divide
    3. ????
    I assume Crooked Stave (looking forward to checking it out) and Great Divide (always a great stop) are on most people's top three list… is there a clear-cut third? I am familiar with all the great gastropubs/bars/tap houses but I feel like there has to be another brewery worth stopping at. I’d love some input.

2. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Depends on what you're looking for. I know a lot of people want to hit up certain tap rooms to try one-offs and beers that aren't sold in stores. While GD is one of my favorite stops, they usually only have one oddball tap handle.
    For straight-up beers with no concern for food (in Denver proper) I'd suggest Hogshead or Prost. Epic's tasting room is massive and they serve a zillion beers, although some of them can be hit or miss. Still, they win for variety.
    If food is in the cards, Vine Street Pub, the Bull & Bush, and even Breck's 471 BBQ are my picks.
    If you count the surrounding areas I still think Dry Dock beats them all. Tons of taps, plenty of new items showing up, loads of room, and never any obvious off notes.

seanmonaghan13 and hopfacebrew like this.
  3. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Jul 26, 2011 Colorado

What kind of beers are you looking for?

4. 303hophead

303hophead Aug 23, 2013 Colorado

Do not miss Black Shirt Brewing. All their brews are spins off a red base (India Red Ale, Red Saison, Red Porter...) and they're absolute perfectionists. It's in the same area as the other two you mentioned so you won't spend too much on cabs. If they're pouring the Red Evelyn, you're in for a treat. My favorite of 2013 - it's an Imperial Red Rye IPA.

heyduke likes this.
  5. denver10

denver10 Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

TRVE

hoppytobehere likes this.
  6. Steve_0

Steve_0 Mar 14, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Renegade

adkieffer likes this.
  7. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Dec 19, 2010 Colorado

Crooked Stave and Great Divide for sure, after that flip a coin. Depends on where your looking and what you want to drink. I really like TRVE (interesting atmosphere and unique beer styles), Renegade (really good hoppy beers) and Prost (German styles). Never been to Black Shirt or Jagged Mountain. Also enjoy Wit's End and River North.

8. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Oct 5, 2011 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Epic would be my third. That's what a taproom should look like. The Baptist/Kriek blend is one of the best beers in Denver.

denver10 likes this.
  9. KoloradoKonet

KoloradoKonet Jul 24, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

If you consider Boulder part of Denver, I'm a big fan of most everything that Avery does.

imperialbeerdude likes this.
  10. denver10

denver10 Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

I agree, I really like their taproom a lot. I also agree with Domingo their beers are very hit or miss, but they offer so much on tap that you should be able to find some some solid beers on tap.

I am not a big Great Divide fan so that influences my opinion obviously, but if I were to come to Denver and hit up 3 taprooms I would probably do TRVE, Crooked Stave, and Epic.

11. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard May 19, 2005 Colorado

Unfair question. I respond under protest!

German: Prost
    English: Hogshead
    English/American: Bull and Bush
    Atmosphere: Denver Beer Co
    Variety: Epic, Dry Dock, Brewery Rickoli, Vine St. Pub/Brewery
    Solid Lineup: Renegade, Trve, Wits End, Strange, Caution:

12. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Apr 17, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

If you have been to Great Divide and can get their beers where you are from I would choose something else. Like everyone is stating it depends on your taste buds/ what you are looking for. I would choose Crooked Stave, Epic (for variety and awesome tap house), and third...... hmmmmm...... choose from Mebuzzards list.

13. alexipa

alexipa Oct 7, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Oh man, Crooked Stave and Great Divide don't even make my top 3!

Prost, Renegade, Epic.

SFACRKnight and bditty187 like this.
  14. bditty187

Thanks. I love the collection of answers. This is what I wanted. Regardless of style I want the best brewed beers. Epic was not on my radar. Keep the info coming!

15. Hojaminbag

Hojaminbag Dec 20, 2007 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I echo the recommendations that say Great Divide shouldn't make the list; I love them, but if you are a beer nut who is only hitting three places, it shouldn't make the list. It's usually packed and the taplist isn't too exciting.

Transportation aside, hitting Copper Kettle and Dry Dock is a good trip, both great beer in the burbs. I like Crooked Stave, Epic, Denver Beer Co. (atmosphere+beer that is way better than it got a rep for on BA originally, especially in the barrel room+I'm a homer), and a bunch of others. Denver is hard to pick just three, especially if you are including the surrounding areas.

16. DenverLogan

DenverLogan Aug 2, 2005 Colorado

Epic or Renegade for breweries, or skip the breweries and ColoradoPlus, Falling Rock, FreshCraft or Hops & Pies. If you don't get Great Divide regularly where you're at, I'd jump on them, and if you like the styles of Crooked Stave, the Source is a great place to visit.

17. bditty187

I have to go to Great Divide, while I've been there plenty a couple people in my group have not and really want to go.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  18. bditty187

It is hard to pick three!! I wasn't impressed with Dry Dock. I'll look into Copper Kettle... and location doesn't matter. I am already planning to head north to Avery and Oskar Blues Homemade Liquid & Solids.

19. Prospero

Prospero Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I would say if you're going with friends, the obvious 3rd choice is Epic b/c they have about ~30 beers on tap at all times and everybody will find something they like there, and all three are in the same 1 mile radius making it easy to cab it.

The other close ones would be Renegade, Prost, Black Shirt & River North or even Jagged Mountain. If you're looking for food, I'd go to Vine Street Pub, great food & beer.

TRVE, Hogshead, Caution, Strange, Wit's End while all good would be good for your 3rd/4th trip.

20. adkieffer

adkieffer Nov 23, 2010 Washington

If you plan on being in Boulder hit up Backcountry Pizza too! They have good food, a great tap selection, and even better bottle selection that is fairly priced!

My vote for the 3rd would be Renegade. Cheers and have a great trip....you can't go wrong

shueyy likes this.
  21. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Apr 5, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

For me it's TRVE or River North, with Dry Dock probably being close behind.

22. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

In the neighborhood I'd say Black Shirt.

Further afield, my faves have been Renegade and Wit's End but my brewery du jour is Station 26...

23. BigGene

BigGene Oct 30, 2010 Florida

I was in Denver in October and enjoyed Wynkoop Brewing the beer was very good. They had a Rocky Mt Oyster stout that as amazing. The food was very good as well.

24. FishPondManager

FishPondManager Feb 28, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

FTFY

Mebuzzard likes this.
  25. Stapleton_Tap_House

Stapleton_Tap_House Jan 8, 2014 Colorado

Wow, its like asking someone which of their kids is their favorite! We have so many awesome breweries... If you're downtown, you should definitely check out River North, Epic, Our Mutual Friend, Crooked Stave, and Black Shirt - they are all pretty close to each other. Jagged Mountain also recently opened nearby.

Personally I prefer the smaller breweries, so while Great Divide makes some incredible beers I usually pass on visiting them (as I can get their beers elsewhere).

If you're going a little further west from downtown, I'd hit Hogshead, Diebolt, Strange, Prost, Wit's End...

Heading east? Try Caution and Station 26.

Is that more than 3??

26. Camerondebann

Camerondebann Nov 8, 2013 Colorado

Crooked Stave at the Source. If you want to travel just a bit (under an hour) hit Longmont for Oskar Blues' tasty Weasel (different than the general restaurant) and Left Hand's taproom. Love Prost in Denver as well as Great Divide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe