1. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Three Chiefs (2019)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Hype_Train, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Hype_Train

Hype_Train Initiate (129) Feb 8, 2017 California

Figured to get it going again.. For the love of this place..

And to start it off..

$15 a taster? LOLOLOLOL GTFOH!

2. jnance88

jnance88 Initiate (115) Jun 10, 2014 California
    Trader

The username to brewery name relation is off the charts.
    Choo choo.
    Love it.

dmsulli, UnknownKoger and AyeDogg like this.
  3. AyeDogg

AyeDogg Initiate (159) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Trader

Define taster.

Hype_Train likes this.
  4. BreakingMyBalls

BreakingMyBalls Initiate (73) Apr 27, 2017 California

Three Queefs can eat a bag of lady farts, I had Cocoa Grasp at the Hootenany and wouldn’t even put it in the top 10 beers I had there. This place is just straight up hype.

KevSal, 3SH33TS, IcyTrout and 10 others like this.
  5. BeerBaron666

BeerBaron666 Aspirant (215) May 13, 2009 California
    Trader

lmao what a joke

KevSal and OTB like this.
  6. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (771) Jul 1, 2009 California

KevSal and OTB like this.
  7. PG2G

PG2G Zealot (535) Dec 26, 2011 California
    Trader

Hootenany must've had some great beers because Faha and Bruelee were among the best at Wakefest.

Was out of town for Island Grasp, sad to have missed out. Cocoa Grasp isn't one of the better from Three Chiefs but I heard great things from friends about Island.

L1mera1n, DJturnstile and HopHead89 like this.
  8. annakarina

annakarina Initiate (108) Jul 29, 2016 California

As long as they continue the route they’re taking, I couldn’t really give a shit how good they’re ULTRA RARE ULTRA HYPED beers are. No need to support breweries that purposely pull the shit they do when there’s so much great, available beer around.

Same with why I don’t support bottle shops that post the red new beer they just got in, then hide them behind the counter to sell to their friends while telling everybody else it’s sold out.

9. DJturnstile

DJturnstile Initiate (68) Sep 2, 2015 California
    Trader

Why did you guys start this thread just to talk shit?!? :rolling_eyes: Don't people normally start these brewery forum threads about places they like?? I'm going to have my first three chiefs at Pastrytown and i'm very excited.

Oh and $15 is not a crazy price for a 5 oz pour that includes a free glass. If you can't afford it don't drink it.

Wowcoolman, L1mera1n, LGHT and 4 others like this.
  10. annakarina

I didn't start the thread, but if you're building your brewery entirely on hype and artificial scarcity, expect some backlash, and it should be fair game to criticize it as such.

islay, KevSal, Atrox77 and 13 others like this.
  11. PG2G

Trader

FWIW, this doesnt seem like an awful way to have handled the bottles. The price is on the high end but with the quantity they had I don't see how anyone that attempted to get a pour wasn't able to.

12. 3SH33TS

3SH33TS Aspirant (226) Dec 21, 2010 California
    Trader

This is a forum... for discussions about beer - positive, negative, neutral.

Sometimes we talk about the positives.

And at other times, such as this instance, we discuss the seedy douchenozzle underbelly of the local beer scene.

GuyFawkes, manny90, KevSal and 11 others like this.
  13. DJturnstile

Trader

But most new breweries start super small, thus the ACTUAL, not artificial scarcity. "Hype" is just a word people use in negative connotation for a beer when it gets good reviews and they can't get it. Doesn't instantly equate with being bad or overrated.

I've been there too plenty of times. I can't get any of the countries hottest beer in northern California because nobody wants to trade for what we get here. I can't even get Monkish, three chiefs or Horus even though i'm in the same state because this state is TOO BIG.

You can criticize it all day, I just did the same when I visited Portland and still couldn't get that weeks Great Notion releases that were just sitting in their production facility post release just waiting to be trickled over to the pub.

But there hasn't even been a positive comment in this thread yet. I have a handful of beer friends who have tried Three Chiefs before and they say it's amazing and worth the hype so i'm going to wait and see myself.

14. IcyTrout

IcyTrout Initiate (106) Feb 1, 2018 California

There's no positive because there is nothing positive about this place. It embodies everything that is bad and horrible about the craft beer scene.

BreakingMyBalls and annakarina like this.
  15. DJturnstile

Trader

Can you elaborate? Maybe i'm not getting it. They don't produce enough bottles so they have raffles for some of the smaller batch stouts? The beers are overpriced in peoples opinion? I'm sure that with all the rave reviews they're getting they will scale up production like all good breweries eventually do and it will be easier to get and maybe even cheaper.

16. IcyTrout

Well lets start with the fact that Three Chiefs isn't even an actual brewery. It's actually Hemilane Inc, AKA rob rubens.
    [​IMG]
    Second, the fact that they have limited bottles is 100% intentional, they are using the artificial scarcity model of marketing.

Third raffles for beer are incredibly illegal.

Fourth they barrel aged their beers "for a few months" aka 3 months. They have absolutely no barrel character.

Fifth they encourage overnight public drinking.

I can keep going but I digress.

17. annakarina

They hid bottles of their first release to pretend it was a smaller yield than it really was to make the beer seem more RARE.

Regarding "hype is just a word people use in connotation for a beer when it gets good reviews and they can't get it, 1) I don't care if I try the beer or not, there are countless beers to try on SoCal, 2) a lot of the reviews are blatantly used to create word of mouth and up trade bait value which was glaringly obvious during their first few releases.

I mostly drink from the same few breweries (HPB/Modern Times) and could not care less about following The Next Big Thing. So no, my criticisms are not based on jealousy.

KevSal, R1c0rtez, BayAreaJoe and 3 others like this.
  18. DJturnstile

Trader

Haha ok you guys have fun here.

HopHead89 and Frosty11161 like this.
  19. Majikow

Majikow Initiate (144) Nov 21, 2015 California
    Trader

Best part is I think I've seen over half of the 20 bottles they raffled off this past weekend put up for sale at hilarious prices already. Instead of selling 3 Chiefs bottles to pay rent, people should just permanently sleep out in 3 Chiefs' parking lot. Problem solved.

IcyTrout likes this.
  20. BreakingMyBalls

BreakingMyBalls Initiate (73) Apr 27, 2017 California

Bye felicia

GuyFawkes, Atrox77 and J-loco like this.
  21. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (531) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

Sixth, the proprietors are not of Native American descent, and I find their cultural appropriation offensive

KevSal, iamthecarlos and IcyTrout like this.
  22. annakarina

"Can you please expand on your issues?"

[lengthy explanations]

"Hahaha oooookaaaaaay byeeeeeee!"

GuyFawkes, anvindr, KevSal and 11 others like this.
  23. goons

goons Initiate (30) Mar 5, 2019 California

Im sure its just beer they have to keep for themselves too. Monkish keeps some in the back for friends and staff. Have you been there? I think they all do this part time and all have full time jobs doing other things. which is why theyre only gypsy brewing. I dont believe Island grasp was barrel aged. didnt say on the label.

24. J-loco

J-loco Initiate (198) Jan 23, 2015 California
    Trader

Slow down noob, I too remember when I got a fast internet connection.

25. goons

thanks for noticing. ill buy you a beer.

26. DJturnstile

Trader

I mean...what is there to say? I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here. Clearly your opinions are rigid.

"They hid bottles of their first release to pretend it was a smaller yield than it really was to make the beer seem more RARE."

How do you know they did this to make it seem more rare? Is there proof of this? Did they say it? Maybe they were holding some back for future sales or fests?

"raffles for beer are incredibly illegal."

No they're not

"they encourage overnight public drinking"

How?? By allowing people to line up for their beer overnight and not standing out there policing them? That's not exactly encouraging people to drink. Anyway what are you, a cop?

"they barrel aged their beers "for a few months" aka 3 months. They have absolutely no barrel character"

That's like...your opinion, dude.

It's just all so banal, and not even anything to get mad about or dislike their beer for. But go ahead, you guys do you I have nothing else to add but feel free to keep egging me on!

27. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Crusader (710) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Trader

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201120120SB778
    https://www.thebalanceeveryday.com/can-alcohol-companies-offer-sweepstakes-in-california-896941

There are rules for beer raffles in California. They don't seem to be in compliance with this particular point:

(a) An authorized licensee may conduct consumer contests, subject to the following conditions:
    (1) (A) Entry or extra chances in a contest shall not be made available via the purchase of an alcoholic beverage.

KevSal, BeersandBread and IcyTrout like this.
  28. goons

Their latest release said "NO CAMPING" and the lotto tickets werent for sale. i heard it was just a ticket that gives you the chance to buy a bottle of whats left after it was poured for everyone in the tasting room. It seems like theyre taking care of everyone that shows up. I dont think anyone was turned away for anything. Sounds like everyone got a pour that came with a limited glass, people got a chance to buy left over bottles without campingt (which sounds fair to me) and everyone left with something to take home and on the IG, everyone had nothing but good things to say. Has anyone here been there?

29. Rbarnes4381

Rbarnes4381 Initiate (143) Oct 29, 2013 California

FWIW, El Segundo PD doesn’t care to much about the drinking as long as it isn’t obvious and the people aren’t causing problems.

DJturnstile likes this.
  30. cquiroga

cquiroga Initiate (162) Oct 14, 2004 California

Here's a positive post:

I like Three Chiefs. Great guys, really. If you meet any of them in person, they are among the most generous and friendly people in the beer community.

And Charles is a really talented brewer. I've tried several of his homebrews over the years, and also some of the collaborations he did years ago with Good Beer Co. Really tasty stuff, in my opinion. He has made some excellent farmhouse/saison/mixed fermentation beers, some good IPA's, and the huge stouts have been mostly delicious. I wish them every success.

Do I think the beers are worthy of the considerable praise? I don't know if I can really answer that. I haven't made it to any of their recent releases, and I haven't tried any of the crazy concoctions they've released since opening (Faha/Brulee/Horus collaborations, etc.). But I wouldn't be surprised if the beers are truly wonderful, and I also understand the backlash and negativity surrounding them. Their approach to branding, release strategies, social media, and even brewing styles has really made them a lightning rod for criticism in this day and age.

I haven't chimed in on this thread because I don't have all that much to add about any current/recent releases, and the negativity is mostly coming from the same... few... people... over... and over... It's just kind of a tired argument. But it is kind of funny to me that one of the best ways I've been able to keep an eye on the goings-on of Three Chiefs is to follow BA haters talking shit about the next thing they're doing.

I wish people would chill out and live and let live, but the next time you are able to persuade someone on the internet to table their aggro complaints might be the first time in history this has happened to anyone anywhere.

31. DJturnstile

Trader

Amen to that! And thanks for the positivity.

HopHead89 likes this.
  32. J-loco

J-loco Initiate (198) Jan 23, 2015 California
    Trader

A pint or a flight?

33. 310gts

310gts Initiate (45) Jun 22, 2018 California
    Trader

grabbed cans over the weekend. wasn't packed around 11:30 but didn't get a pour since I couldn't get one without a glass. hopefully that'll be possible on the next one.

HopHead89 likes this.
  34. GoRacerXGo

GoRacerXGo Initiate (26) Oct 30, 2017 California
    Trader

The three guys (chiefs) behind the brewery are Chamorro (with families from Guam). There were tribal chiefs in Guam, hence the name.

35. dcbullet

dcbullet Initiate (120) Dec 18, 2013 California

Same shit goes on in the Horus thread. It's baffling to me the energy that some people expend on something they don't like.

36. goons

How about any three chiefs beer since we haven't been there lol

37. HopHead89

HopHead89 Initiate (149) Oct 20, 2016 California
    Trader

and I bet it's the same people too.

dcbullet and DJturnstile like this.
  38. annakarina

This thread is ridiculously tame compared to the original Three Chiefs thread.

KevSal, m34josh, Frosty11161 and 4 others like this.
  39. IcyTrout

That was one for the fucking ages haha.

anvindr and 310gts like this.
  40. PG2G

Trader

You won't be disappointed. Their stouts are some of the best in the country.

HopHead89 likes this.