News Three Floyds: Expansion and Distilling Update

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by siknessinwi, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siknessinwi

siknessinwi Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2010 Wisconsin

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...cle_44cfb252-7227-5287-acde-fb2315c46c09.html

I know this has been rumored for a long time but finally some confirmation on where its heading. great news all around.

2. TwelveOunces

TwelveOunces Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2011 Kentucky

3. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,132) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

Cool. Now, send to CA.

4. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio

Sadly, they can barely keep up with their own area and the few states they distribute to already without adding more places.

5. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Initiate (0) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

you like $50 dark lord? You're going to LOVE $200 whiskeys!

6. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

"Confirmation on where it's heading."

Where? I'm blind.

DaKur likes this.
  7. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2010 New York

Forget the spirits, just make more beer and up distribution!!

8. siknessinwi

As far as I've heard distribution won't increase much. The expansion is more so intended to produce enough product to keep up with the markets they already have.

9. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (735) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Anything for more ZD.

How about a new label machine?:wink:

10. AaronRodgersMVP12

AaronRodgersMVP12 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2013 Wisconsin

and lower costs

Geuzedad likes this.
  11. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Isn't there a cap in Indiana on breweries with taprooms at 25,000 or 30,000 barrels? That is the real issue I would imagine; they don't want to lose that taproom.

Kyrojack likes this.
  12. siknessinwi

Yeah, they're state capped at 30k bbl. I know they had been working to get approval on any out of state sales not applying to their state limit but I have not heard on any updates on that for a while now.

BrettHead likes this.
  13. JamesShoemaker

JamesShoemaker Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2012 Michigan

Not that I care, I think it's a lot of fun to only be able to get it at the brewery, more or less. It's an adventure.

Scooch, dedbeer and creepinjeeper like this.
  14. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Zealot (558) Apr 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Coming in about 5 years.....Three Floyds Whiskey Barrel Aged Dark Lord

15. RonfromJersey

RonfromJersey Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2002 New Jersey

Not greed. Simply supply and demand.

16. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (776) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

Sill 14.99$ for sucaba. ...

Kurmaraja and alucard6679 like this.
  17. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Wisconsin

ISO whiskey aged in ZD barrels.

18. ChrisMyhre

ChrisMyhre Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2013 Massachusetts

$60 hoodies is just plain greed, you're charging that much for somethng that costs about $12 and amounts to free advertising?

19. antzman

antzman Initiate (176) Feb 14, 2005 Indiana

No other beer in my store(s) sells out quicker then 3 Floyds. No other beer is consistently requested by customers than 3 Floyds. Not trying to defend them, but their price is based on the demand. There (currently) is much more demand for them than what they can produce. Supply < Demand in this case.

abaculy, djl9701, pluchar and 2 others like this.
  20. ChefHopMeister

ChefHopMeister Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2010 Virginia

With 3F expansion, once again comes distribution to Virginia? Let's hope so.

Jnashed likes this.
  21. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer Champion (898) May 14, 2013 Texas

Get out

22. Loganyoung

Loganyoung Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2011 Georgia

Could you imagine the price for their whiskey aged in BVDL barrels!? :grimacing:

23. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer Champion (898) May 14, 2013 Texas

Kyrojack likes this.
  24. GBallHead

GBallHead Initiate (186) Oct 6, 2011 Indiana
    Trader

Double barrel Vanilla darklord whiskey imo, one year in the vanilla brandy barrels and one in the bourbon vanilla!

25. mpayne5

mpayne5 Devotee (427) Aug 18, 2011 Indiana

Price: $600

26. raveskdr

raveskdr Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2009 Virginia

I know I haven't lived in the midwest in 5 years, but....are people really complaining about the price of FFF? I mean, if we are talking about their BA stuff, fine.

But $35 for a case (now $40) of their year round beers is amazing. When it was $8.75, that was as cheap as Sam Adams. For Zombie Dust. So, like...I don't know what more they can do. Even at $10 a sixer, it's cheaper than plenty of stuff and on par with just about everything else.

This expansion will only affect the price of stuff like that, not the barreled stuff. So...

27. fredmugs

fredmugs Poo-Bah (1,500) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Trader

I agree. Like most laws in Indiana they make little sense. They should just start a "new" brewery and operate at both locations.

28. teledeluxe

teledeluxe Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2013 Illinois

29. NewGlarusFan

NewGlarusFan Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2013 Illinois

They could move out of Indy anyways. They do have the Chicago flag flying from the brewery anyhow. Not saying they should move to Chicago we have better breweries like Revolution and Half Acre that are less trendy.

gmendez1122 likes this.
  30. DOTU

DOTU Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2011 California

Congrats to the Floyds on the expansion and good luck in the process. It will be great to have more 3F beer in the world, and maybe even some 3F whiskey.

All of the whining in this thread is pathetic. Free market equals freedom of choice on both sides of the equation. 3F has high demand for its products so it chooses to set prices at a level where it makes a nice profit. Lots of consumers of 3F beer and food and shwag choose to pay those prices because they like the product. If you don't like the service at the taproom, choose not to go there. If you think the beer or hoodies are priced too high, choose not to buy them. End of story.

31. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

3F = Drie Fonteinen

FFF = Three Floyds

carry on :slight_smile:

32. DOTU

DOTU Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2011 California

I knew something was wrong when I was typing, but I was on a roll...:stuck_out_tongue:

jeffdill and BrettHead like this.
  33. norcalhophead

norcalhophead Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2010 Wisconsin

I do agree that the FFF Bomber prices are out of whack! - but $40 a case for Zombie Dust & Alpha King (two of the country's best ipa's (I mean pale ale's) is a great deal

34. norcalhophead

norcalhophead Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2010 Wisconsin

Please tell me that you don't consider either ZD or Alpha King a pale ale or my respect for your future posts will be nada

35. baconmcnuggets

baconmcnuggets Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2013 Florida

I'm not beer-douche enough to argue with the brewmaster; if he puts an APA label on it, I'm going to concede that's the style. (I can say that ZD tastes more like an IPA, but that doesn't change the fact that it's an APA.)

High demand breweries like Bruery, FFF, yeah, charge a lot for the beers; I'll suck it up for quality. We pay $11 for a sixer of Cigar City Jai Alai, $10 for Invasion APA; if I could get it easily, I wouldn't quibble over $10 for ZD. It's not a 4% crusher six-pack I'm going to burn through in the first half of the game. (Probably. Maybe. Okay, it could happen.)

And merch is all over the freakin place. Everybody has their thing. Stone won't give away swag even to a bar doing a promotional tap takeover; not even pint glasses. Lagunitas gave me their employee discount on everything in their store when I mentioned that I work in a beer bar; meanwhile, FFF charges nine dollars for a speed opener. (But. It's my favorite speed opener.)

36. cwehr13

cwehr13 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2011 Illinois

They're are both APA's, I am pretty sure that they list them as an APA on their website as well.

Bung likes this.
  37. Infinite1

Infinite1 Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2010 Illinois

Whatever all it it's definitely well priced at $10 per 6pack

38. Matthew1788

Matthew1788 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2013 Ohio

I have noticed the last week or two random cases of zombiedust landing on the shelfs here in northwest ohio. Testing the market maybe?

39. broodog

broodog Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2009 Illinois

Scotch whiskies incorporate flavors from the air and sea around them, such as peat and moss. Northwest Indiana whiskies will showcase the Region's aromas, such as petroleum coke and diesel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.