Three Floyds: Expansion and Distilling Update

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by siknessinwi, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Dec 8, 2013 Missouri
    Beer Trader

This. It's like they do it on purpose because they think their beer is so good they can do whatever the f they want with the label. I have news for you FFF...your beer is good, but not good enough to justify a sloppy label. As soon as you increase distribution this will hurt sales. Mark my word.

I trust they realize this though and will pour some money into some up to date label technology.

2. teledeluxe

teledeluxe Nov 21, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I'm kinda baffled people care about the quality of the label. I presonally don't give a rat's ass. (full disclosure: I have passed up buying some beers I've never had before because the label art was atrocious - but it's rare).

To counter that argument, I know several home brewers that bottle and like that they have shitty labels that come off really easily.

mcrago, evoljetta, dedbeer and 2 others like this.
  3. Chipchoppy

Chipchoppy Nov 18, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I don't know the entire financial history of three floyds (I remember they were soliciting funds from locals to invest in the brewpub when it started) but isn't this some sort of milestone? They are using their own funds to expand at their own pace. Not that it's wrong when Dogfish head goes to get bank loans to expand, but is there any merit to this path? Or does it not matter because people want their beers to be available all the time, and want them to be cheaper than they are? I know Three Floyds isn't the only brewery growing this way, and I wonder how people feel about that whole issue.

4. cwehr13

cwehr13 Aug 4, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I think people will still buy FFF regardless if their label is peeling off or crocked. I personally don't care about the label but the contents inside.

You can do the same argument because their wax dipped bottles are not as thick with wax as the used to be, but people still line up to buy it.

5. L3MI

L3MI Feb 19, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I sure love how easy the FFF labels come off for bottling my homebrew... I am just burdened with the task of drinking 2+ cases to cover my 6 gallon batches!

ScottJWing and Born_A_Jee like this.
  6. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Dec 8, 2013 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Don't get me started about wax...

cwehr13 likes this.
  7. footballnbeer

footballnbeer Mar 12, 2010 Indiana

So $5 per 500ml of PTE = altruism and $10 per six pack of ZD = greed? Got it!

MrMcGibblets likes this.
  8. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Dec 21, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

ZD wasn't the focus of the greed argument slick. Someone brought up ZD being a bargain compared to other pales and IPAs to which I responded it wasn't a bargain. It's not a spitless ass rape like other beers (any FFF BA beer) but it's not a bargain when compared to other pales and IPA's either.

Biff_Tannen likes this.
  9. footballnbeer

I'm not slick, just good at basic math. Your argument for RR was their price vs demand for PTE. A similar conclusion could be made for FFF's most popular and in demand beer...ZD.

Fact is ZD 6.5 % (apa/ipa) is a better value at $10 per 6er than PTE 8% ipa/dipa at $5 per 500ml.

FFF brewery only barrel aged beers are very expensive but I'm guessing those sales represent less than 1% of their annual revenue.

10. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Dec 21, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Math? What is that? Of course I understand your point. But you're not taking into account that ZD is just a pale and PtE is DIPA. Which I'm sure you know by now, requires much more time and ingredients to produce than a simple pale. So I don't think the comparison is all that valid.

What does FFF charge for Permanent Funeral?

Biff_Tannen likes this.
  11. footballnbeer

The ingredient difference was factored into the ABV 6.5 vs 8.0. Citra hops are also in great demand and thus not cheap.

Permanent funeral is $10 per bomber and 10.5% ABV which is similar to FFF's other DIPA's both in price and ABV.

RR and FFF are 2 of my favorite breweries and I've been to both SD and No-Cal on beer-cations and agree the pale/Ipa scene is great but I can't use RR as a pricing example to disparage FFF.

12. ivorycannon

ivorycannon Feb 21, 2013 Indiana

Exactly!

13. cwehr13

Beer Trader

Hahaha

14. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

This thread should be shut down because people are talking about math and not the topic of the thread...

funhog and BorisKarloff like this.
  15. teledeluxe

teledeluxe Nov 21, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Has FFF indicated what they intend to distill?

16. MNPikey

MNPikey Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Chocolate Milk.

THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  17. StLeasy

StLeasy Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

I'm willing to bet nearly as much hops go into ZD as PtE, and "much more time" just isn't true :p As for "DIPA", it's only about 25% stronger than Zombie Dust. So, ZD really is about half the price.

18. Josbor11

Josbor11 Dec 21, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I have a bottle collection in my loft upstairs and I will have to say that the horribly crooked labels and the fact that they are all peeling off is a bit annoying. I feel like it is just not very classy to look like a bunch of ten year olds labeled your bottles.

Kyrojack likes this.
  19. VitoFerrante

VitoFerrante Sep 11, 2012 Pennsylvania

I couldn't care less if the beers gods of Munster wrote on the bottles with a grease pencil instead of labeling. Give me a break! Their beers would make Mother Theresa a beer geek!

djl9701 and creepinjeeper like this.
  20. jcsilves

jcsilves Jan 26, 2013 Illinois
    Subscriber

The $10 per 6pk has tax already included. So technically the 6pks are even cheaper.

21. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

if their distillation program is like their barrel aging program, they're going to distill the final runnings of every beer they can, doing a mishmash of aging in barrels if they feel like it, and selling it all for way too much.

dark lord second runnings will be distilled and the resulting spirit aged in used bourbon barrels, and sold at $300/750ml and trading 1:1 with PVW23 regardless of taste.

22. WallyHop

WallyHop Nov 25, 2013 Kentucky

Why so mad bro?

TonyJ815 likes this.
  23. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

honestly, i think my vision is more optimistic than what will actually happen

24. Circles413

Circles413 Feb 4, 2014 Illinois

They aren't using their own funds. They signed with a different distribution company. That's how they can afford to expand.

25. Chipchoppy

Chipchoppy Nov 18, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Circles413, are you saying that the new distribution company gave them a huge cash advance, an interest free loan, or a signing bonus? Or are you saying they are getting more money for selling their beer with the new agreement they've signed with this distribution company? Or are you saying a different thing?

26. Circles413

From what I understood, they screwed over their last distribution company for around $15 million more than they were getting before. In the contract agreement they must produce a larger quantity of beer & ship it further out west & east. The money will be paid over time but with a few changes to their business stance. Three Floyd's have tried to make their mark by making sure their beer is hard to find. With the new agreement they have to make it easier to find. If I understood correctly, their beer will be shipped out to the west coast & lines such as zombie dust will be easier to find. No more of this whole, "hey man, you got zombie dust?" Crap. It'll be on the shelf just like a normal session beer.

TonyJ815 likes this.
  27. Circles413

I will say this. I don't like Three Floyd's. I don't like their business ethics, I find their beer to be somewhat, okay at best & their hype is sad. I've tried a few of their beers & I don't think any of what I've tried really stands out. Would I try, Dark Lord? Sure, I'd try it. Would I ever go out of my way to try it? God no. The recipe changes almost every year so you don't know what you're buying. It could be good, it could be Crap. But I would never buy a ticket for, "a chance" to buy a bottle. Some people say the, Eclipse series is too much money to spend on one beer that's available all year around. So I ask, why is $40 a good value for a beer available for one day? Either which way, you don't know what you're buying, eh? So why not forget the time & energy that's put into looking for a more expensive bottle that you can get 1 day a year rather than paying less money for a bottle you can get for the full year?

Dark lord + hype = around $40
    Eclipse + nothing = $30

I don't work for a brewery but I understand value. I would rather pick up a bottle from Nøgne ø, Two brothers, Bell's or Firestone any day over anything from Three Floyd's. Their business ethics just make me sick.

Sorry for the rant.

Kurmaraja and Newbiebeer like this.
  28. cwehr13

Beer Trader

$30 for the ticket + $15 for a bottle of DL X3 for the allotment, if you add the price of the ticket to the bottles equally its costs about $25 a bottle. Not sure where $40 is coming from.

29. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer May 14, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Could you be specific? I have heard this from multiple people but have not gotten a straight answer yet.

Kyrojack likes this.
  30. jman005

jman005 Jan 21, 2013 Kentucky

I would argue that Three Floyds is about on a level playing field with the breweries you listed as far as value goes. If you don't prefer their beers then that's your choice..

31. theburden

theburden Dec 17, 2002 Indiana

I know I'm going to regret this, but WHAT?

32. WallyHop

WallyHop Nov 25, 2013 Kentucky

No one is forcing you to buy their beer and you think it is mediocre so why do you even care this much? Obviously their business model is working and allowed them to increase production to their small distribution footprint. Paying $11 for a sixer of Zombie Dust is an amazing deal. Sounds like you just have a personal problem with FFF.

Scipio3 and TheBeerBro like this.
  33. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Dec 13, 2008 Illinois

As an acquaintance of Barnaby, a 3 Floyds brewer, (fellow Rugby fan + Arsenal FC supporter), this is outstanding news! So glad to hear that business is booming and they will be able to meet more of the needs of the 3 Floyds Army, especially in Chicago. No offense to Robert the Bruce Scottish Ale (he is a direct ancestor of mine), but that is my LEAST favorite 3 Floyds offering and also the only beer I ever see available to buy.

cheers!

mfnmbvp likes this.
  34. charlzm

charlzm Sep 3, 2007 California
    Beer Trader

So... no new brewing capacity with the expansion?

35. DeanMoriarty

DeanMoriarty May 9, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

36. Brew_Bro

Brew_Bro Mar 4, 2014 Florida

FYI Wal-mart in Tampa now sells Jai Alai for $9.

37. DrGonzoDDS

DrGonzoDDS Mar 7, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

What's up with Brian Boru? Where is it?

MrMcGibblets likes this.
  38. zrbeer1579

zrbeer1579 Dec 3, 2012 Illinois

Live a Rich Life is the February release this year.

39. zrbeer1579

zrbeer1579 Dec 3, 2012 Illinois

Also, don't forget Backmasking and Blakrr had came out as well.

40. baconmcnuggets

baconmcnuggets Mar 11, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Almost worth the two hour drive. ;) (I've noticed it tends to go on sale for $9 frequently at my local Whole Foods too.)

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe