Three Floyds Expansion Plans

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by rv7789, Feb 14, 2018.

1. rv7789

rv7789 Initiate (59) Jul 26, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

2. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (870) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Neat-o.

I wonder how sustainable said expansion is.

LeRose and TheCrimsonKing like this.
  3. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,892) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Woah. That is a big increase in square footage. I wonder what that means in terms of increase in barrel production.

With the current market, I would be concerned about sustainability, but I'm not a business man.

4. Realsambo

Realsambo Initiate (86) Apr 15, 2016 Idaho
    Trader

If it means wider distro, I'm excited. If not, then I don't care. But good for them either way.

5. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (870) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

The increased production capacity should mean wider distro. This expansion is more than that, though. It's a destination brewery.

6. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Devotee (499) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Looks like the one they have been waiting for that turns the facility into a proper destination. The Haugs experiences with Surly, and also as owners in their own right will certainly come into focus with this project. I'd bet on a concert hall to indulge in their metal fantasies all year long, just as much as the development of a world class brewpub.
    This article from back when it came to head with Surly kind of hints at the expansions and Linda's role in it in particular. .
    https://twincities.eater.com/2016/11/1/13487160/todd-haug-linda-leave-minneapolis-surly-3-floyds

Per sustainability. Be interested to see what their 5 year projections are. If they are doing this to expand their distribution footprint. Their name and accolades should be enough, still, that this expansion, and more importantly. Re-entry into markets will be dealt with accordingly. i.e. bought up.

7. TheCrimsonKing

TheCrimsonKing Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2017 Ohio

Really excited about this! Can't wait to see more 3 Floyds on the shelves!

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,713) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

My read of the document is that the existing facility has 57,000 square feet.

After the expansion it will have 114,423 square feet of manufacturing and warehouse area.

Assuming that the existing facility is solely a production brewery it would appear that they are basically doubling their production ability as measured by square feet. I did take note of “construct a distillery” so I would imagine that this would take up some of the manufacturing area.

I would be interested in learning what the expansion means in terms of barrels per year of beer production.

Cheers!

Harrison8 likes this.
  9. rv7789

rv7789 Initiate (59) Jul 26, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

drtth likes this.
  10. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,302) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Premium Trader

Move back to Northern Indiana, now this. It’s like the beer gods are peaking at my dreams and making them come true!!!

FFFjunkie likes this.
  11. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (250) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Don't know much about them except from reading about them on here once in awhile.

Were they distributing in other states? Were they maximizing capacity at current levels? What was the current facility like? Was it a taproom that was always crowded? How can the area handle extra traffic? Is it a destination friendly area? With the sale of smuttynose, how is this remotely seen as a good idea? Building sort of reminds me of alchemist from the outside but better.

Doubling capacity for a multi million dollar product doesn't look like distribution is truly their end game. They may be able to make it all back with straight to consumer sales.

12. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,117) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

We used to have TF in PA many years ago but they pulled out because they couldn't keep up. Looking forward to them returning with this expansion.

Ranbot, Lorianneb and drtth like this.
  13. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (743) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

If this means more Zombie Dust that can be eeked my way, I am all for it.

Those classics are resonating more and more with me these days.

Ranbot likes this.
  14. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Devotee (499) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

The facility is at the end of an industrial park where they have been since they opened. i.e. They can pretty much do whatever the hell they want to.

15. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (551) Dec 12, 2014 California

Way way way different situation. 3 Floyds could be better compared to Russian River in the sense that they are widely regarded as a top tier brewery in terms of quality, and demand is higher than they can produce.

16. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,344) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Three Floyd beers were also commonly found in New Jersey around the turn of the century but at the time they were contract-brewing at August Schell in New Ulm, MN:

[​IMG]

17. rgordon

rgordon Champion (860) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

A small distributor in North and South Carolina carried Three Floyds somewhere around 2001, maybe earlier. It disappeared and I called 3F and was told they would not come back to North Carolina because the last distributor stiffed them on overdue bills. It turns out that the distributor had some evangelical epiphany and bailed out completely...on every supplier, as I've been told.

surfcaster likes this.
  18. darklord2011

darklord2011 Initiate (148) Nov 18, 2011 Indiana
    Trader

This is great news. They're overdue for an expansion. Their existing brewpub is always crowded, there is no standing room to order a drink and wait for your table and they won't allow you to stand outside with a beer while you're waiting. So you're left twiddling your thumbs while you wait and if you try to drink in your car while you wait they'll bust you very quickly and ask you to leave. Hopefully with this expansion that resolves all of those issues. Last time I was there I left with a pretty bad taste in my mouth for lack of beer as a result of the above rules.

As a side note, they already have a distillery on property. They added it about a year ago I believe. It wasn't open when I was there last but looks pretty legit.

19. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,030) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

I wonder if they will come back to MI. Its only been about 22 years, lol.

20. Haybeerman

Haybeerman Poo-Bah (2,317) May 21, 2008 Colorado
    Premium

Selfishly, I Iike it - especially if their beers end up in a liquor store near me:stuck_out_tongue:.

I do wonder where they're securing, what looks like, significant funding and if that will create any dispositon effect in the current endpoint. "Brewers Catch 22" can be unforgiving at this scale; chasing volume isn't always the best long term strategy.

21. Lorianneb

Lorianneb Aspirant (270) Apr 27, 2012 New Jersey

I remember them here in NJ. Still have a few Gumball Head bombers I use for homebrew. Would love to see them again

22. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung Initiate (87) Jan 7, 2015 Washington

Damnit! Three Floyds had been looking around the Seattle, WA area. Assume the ridiculous real estate prices and increasing government BS in Seattle scared Three Floyds off. This really sucks if they decide not to enter the Pacific Northwest.

23. WIexile

WIexile Initiate (56) Jul 20, 2017 Michigan

Damn good news. Hoping this mean sixers of Dreadnaught, and other bombers that need the format shift. Also a little MI distro wouldn't hurt....

Lahey, jkblr, SMH_NWI and 2 others like this.
  24. HoosierBrew

HoosierBrew Initiate (95) Jan 12, 2013 Indiana

25. JackHorzempa

Premium

Good news for 3 Floyds. I hope that this expansion is a financial success for them.

Cheers!

eppCOS likes this.
  26. darklord2011

darklord2011 Initiate (148) Nov 18, 2011 Indiana
    Trader

27. KBlodorn

KBlodorn Aspirant (269) Oct 3, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Hopefully this yields more DL tickets going forward

28. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,470) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I hope they distribute to New York. I have always wanted to try Zombie Dust.

29. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Zealot (568) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana

Hopefully once this is all sorted out they can focus on consistency. I always get a different tasting product from batch to batch. At $13-$14 a sixer I’m not looking to play a game of chance in regards to quality.

Prince_Casual and THANAT0PSIS like this.
  30. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,013) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

I'm hoping this will lead to a distribution expansion in my area... I like their beer...

31. Junior

Junior Disciple (334) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I’ve never had that issue with 3 Floyd’s.

32. BigJim5021

Lucky you.

33. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (764) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Agree that they can be batchy, and these days I find many of their beers too sweet (no, not just Dark Lord), but they'll always hold a special place for me due to their importance in my beer development.

Considering they've been talking up the distillery for what feels like a decade now, I'll believe in this expansion when I see it.

Junior likes this.
  34. BigJim5021

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had some truly great beers from FFF over the last decade. I just don’t mess with them much anymore outside of draft from time to time.

THANAT0PSIS and Junior like this.
  35. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,313) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Agreed Jack, maybe we will see some Zombie Dust in PA? That would be great.

36. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (436) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Crazy to think now, already, Cleveland usually always has Zombie Dust floating around. Saw it in a single section the other day, along with 6-packs the week before. Always Gumball, Alpha King, etc... Once this expansion is in place, probably be everywhere all the time.

Zombie Dust though has been hit/miss for me. Some batches, very good. Others, not so much. Never bad by any means, but when it's good it's def good.

37. JackHorzempa

Premium

Why do you think there is batch to batch variation of this beer? Is the difference in 'quality' always the same thing?

Cheers!

38. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (436) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

@JackHorzempa

For me, Zombie is quite malt heavy and can quickly go from "awesome!" to OK in a short period of time in poor storage conditions and the hops fade out enough to push it too malt-forward. It picks up that signature west coast orange-candy sweetness once oxidation/age kicks in to the point it just turns to a decent beer (from excellent).

If I find it very fresh, sometimes less than a week here even, I will buy and drink it as soon as possible to drink it at it's peak. I find Zombie Dust more sensitive to time/storage than almost any other IPA, even New England style IPA's personally.

But like I said, when I can snag it really fresh I really like the beer. But otherwise, I will pass it up and grab something else. I am not that much of a freshness snob, but for this beer I am... 2-3 weeks max to buy. Thankfully, it usually doesn't last that long on the shelf!

JackHorzempa likes this.
  39. moshea

moshea Devotee (463) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

Nice to see them finally recover from that fire

Redrover likes this.
  40. JackHorzempa

Premium

Wow! That is indeed a very time sensitive beer!!

Thanks for the tip here.

Do you think the issue is that the bottling line at the brewery is not of very high quality (i.e., high TPO values)?

Cheers!