Three Magnets Brewing

Discussion in 'US - West' started by Erik-P, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik-P

Erik-P (0) Aug 19, 2013 Canada (BC)

So im sitting here drinking an Old Skook by 3mag, which is freakin amazing by the way. Pretty much every beer i've had the chance to try by them has been really good. Judging by their BA average score of 4/5 others think so too.

Question is, there isnt a whole lot of talk of them around. Are they too far out of Seattle? not big enough yet? is the hype coming? is it just me?! or should this thread be deleted as theres "nothing to see here" wink wink nudge nudge...

kemoarps and woemad like this.
  2. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey (0) Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Deactivated

Please make this thread go
    away. Methinks they're doing
    fine. Don't need our "help." :wink:

kemoarps, Erik-P and BBThunderbolt like this.
  3. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr (0) Jul 17, 2005 Washington

Agreed. These guys are awesome. I've been snatching up bombers of Little Juice Smoothie Edition. So damn good.

I hope these guys are succeeding well because 1) they deserve it, and 2) I really want to see what other deliciousness they can concoct.

JasonJYoung, kemoarps, woemad and 2 others like this.
  4. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt (1,725) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Just, exactly, what part of "nothing to see here, move along, no looky-loos" did you not understand?

Damn kids these days, even after I explain about my grassy expanse, they still trod, willy-nilly, upon it.

blackcloud, kemoarps, woemad and 4 others like this.
  5. crusian

crusian (0) May 14, 2010 Oregon

Drinking a triple ipa. Not bad

6. itracy63

itracy63 (0) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

Yes, 3Mag is terrible. That is all.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  7. rab53

rab53 (0) May 1, 2005 Washington
    Society Trader

I have sent a few bottles back to a trading partner in New England. Overall reviews have been so so.
    Personally, I find them well above average and try their stuff whenever I can get it.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  8. EdwardAbbey

Deactivated

Nothing but awful
    and toxic beverages.
    Please look elsewhere, peeps. :slight_smile:

JasonJYoung, woemad and BBThunderbolt like this.
  9. drone

drone (0) Jun 17, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

I just had Bigger & Juicier tonight, and it was fantastic. No bitterness, big tropical fruit and very light alcohol on the dumper. Really great stuff.

10. woemad

woemad (1,340) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

You're supposed to drink it, not put it on your dumper!

drone, Erik-P, kemoarps and 2 others like this.
  11. woemad

woemad (1,340) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Still haven't managed to try any of their beers despite theoretically having an Oly connection.

12. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Yeah, I'm not understanding that either.

woemad likes this.
  13. Moose90

Moose90 (0) Nov 25, 2012 Washington

I have enjoyed every beer I've had from them, starting with their fresh hop beers that came in late last year. I hadn't known much about them at a that point, and didn't see more bottles until this spring. They do a great job with pales and IPA's, even their Maibock was quite good. I got the chance to stop into their spot in Olympia on a trip down to Portland and was really impressed. A really cool indoor / outdoor space with a compact brewing space and big main bar. I wish these guys continual success, now if I could just get their kegs on up here. . .

BBThunderbolt and woemad like this.
  14. ballardbeer

ballardbeer (0) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

i'm gonna paint with a broad brush here.

people from new england don't know what's good unless the internet told them so already.

grainbillxs, vurt, dirtylou and 11 others like this.
  15. Erik-P

Erik-P (0) Aug 19, 2013 Canada (BC)

yea im heading down to portland next week and hoping the timing works out and ill be able to stop in and check em out in olympia for a bit

16. drone

Trader

My drunken synonym for back end, or finish as I think it's commonly referred to.

I need to pick up a few bottles of Smoothie Edition, provided it's still hanging around.

kemoarps likes this.
  17. TheBungyo

TheBungyo (690) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

I'm certain someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a regular offering is it not? I've definitely seen it around regularly enough.

With that said, although I'm no New England fanboy, it isn't on par with the Trilliums and Night Shifts of the world (have never had Tree House so I cannot say ... though to me I'd drink SE any day over something like Heady Topper).

Now if only Seapine could can Positron IPA ...

BBThunderbolt and ballardbeer like this.
  18. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung (0) Jan 7, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Ha Ha, I hear you @EdwardAbbey.

I think many would agree that relying on Yelp might not be the best idea, but Three Magnets receives tons of mixed reviews on everything from service, food, and their beer in Olympia. Me personally, I really like a lot of their stuff. Especially some of the darker beer options. Hard to go wrong when using Olympia Coffee Roasters.

I recently started drinking the 'Little Juice IPA' (Smoothie Edition) and LOVE it!!!!!! Very easy to find in our region and prices aren't too bad.

brandonwnw, kemoarps and Erik-P like this.
  19. distantmantra

distantmantra (745) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Howard's Blend is the best thing they've done.

I really like Three Magnets, been able to visit their taproom twice and enjoyed their beers around Seattle in bottle and on draft. Their fresh hops were great last Fall. Little Juice Smoothie is nice, but has way more bitterness than all the Tree House and Trillium beers from back east. Not that that's a bad thing.

BBThunderbolt and sharpski like this.
  20. drone

Trader

Wasn't Smoothie Edition only just released in bottles? I recall it starting as a one-off that was then bottled and released, I didn't think it was a regular offering. If it is, that's great though.

Positron looks delicious, will have to check that one out. I'm no NE fanboy either, and would much rather have a Sticky Hands/Hop Venom, but damn if it isn't fantastic on occasion.

21. JasonJYoung

Trader

Amen @distantmantra on Howard's Blend!!! Couldn't get enough of it. For a well hidden 12+% ABV beer, let's just say I learned a hard lesson attempting to be a big shot by killing two different bombers.

I desperately want to try an East Coast IPA (Trillium or Tree House). If Little Juice has more bitterness than those......OMG! Especially considering a Midwest transplant still struggles a little with these West Coast/Pacific NW hoppy beers.

brandonwnw likes this.
  22. TheBungyo

Release date was April 30th, and I'm fairly certain there have been several different drops of it. Hopefully it is a regular, or at least rotating offer.

Positron is my favorite of the hazy IPA's brewed locally. It's one of the few beers I can drink one after another and not want to switch to something else. In fact, once I have one it's very hard not to just session the hell out of it. Can't wait to get back to Seattle and grab some more.

drone likes this.
  23. distantmantra

Trader

Unless they've changed it recently Positron isn't a hazy beer. Just looked at my Untappd checkin pic from the brewery in January and it's a super clean tasty IPA.

Edit: Well look at that. They trubbed that fucker up a ton recently!

The best examples of hazy IPAs from WA are UF's Best Laid Plans, 3M's Smoothie and various Structures IPAs. I've also heard that Powerhouse in Puyallup is jumping on the bandwagon with a hazy IPA, but I haven't had it yet.

woemad, BBThunderbolt and sharpski like this.
  24. EdwardAbbey

Deactivated

It's still hanging around at Chuck's 85th (as of a few hours ago) if you're Seattle-based.

I, too, dream of the day that Seapine is able (and willing) to start canning or bottling their beer, including Positron, and especially because their stuff doesn't show up on draft nearly enough at the places I frequent. But, as with Boneyard, I'm not getting my hopes up. :slight_frown:

drone and TheBungyo like this.
  25. TheBungyo

It's been hazy every time I've had it, and I drank it a ton right up until I moved to Bellingham back in June. Also, IMO, it's better than any of the IPA's you've mentioned.

balto22 likes this.
  26. distantmantra

Trader

I didn't say anything about quality in my list. That's so weird about it being hazy. I looked at my checkin again and in January 2016 Positron looked liked your stereotypical clean golden IPA with solid hoppy bitterness.

[​IMG]

NWer, vurt, kemoarps and 1 other person like this.
  27. ballardbeer

that doesn't look like a pint of positron.

balto22 and TheBungyo like this.
  28. distantmantra

Trader

That's what I had, I'm super OCD/anal about checking in the right beer.

NWer, kemoarps and BBThunderbolt like this.
  29. ballardbeer

i figured as much! this is the photo i took of the draft pour i had a couple weeks ago. looks like a totally different beer.

[​IMG]

kemoarps and BBThunderbolt like this.
  30. distantmantra

Trader

I went back through all the pictures for it on Untappd, and there is a large cluster of clear amber looking Positron around the time I had it at the brewery. I'd be curious to know what was up with it back then.

NWer, kemoarps and BBThunderbolt like this.
  31. TheBungyo

Didn't you say that's from January? Not all that relevant since it was nearly 8 months ago. This is how it's looked every time I've had it and the pic is from April: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

32. ballardbeer

pre-juice version = street cred through the roof

vurt, kemoarps, sharpski and 4 others like this.
  33. mactrail

mactrail (1,250) Mar 24, 2009 Washington
    Moderator Society Trader

Bigger and Juicier is kind of floatie-infested, I notice as I am about to gulp the last half a glass. Good, though.

34. drone

Trader

Weird about Positron. I noticed that recently about Eliot from Ex Novo. First time I had it, quite clear. Four pack I enjoyed this weekend was quite hazy. Not sure if it's a batch thing or a change of brewing process?

35. JasonJYoung

Trader

WTF! I never heard of Seapine Brewing. I'll be making a stop today at noon.

In regards to the Little Juice Smoothie Edition, I read an article somewhere quoting the owner or head brewer at 3Mag stating their dislike for the hazy (New England) style IPA. Yet they are increasing production of the Smoothie Edition. Perfect example of listening to consumer demand vs personal biases. So funny how the blow-back towards this style is easing up a bit here in the Pacific NW.

IMO, the harsh bitterness of some hoppy IPA's is main reason people struggle to adjust.

BTW, saw Little Juice Smoothie at Chucks 85th, QFC (University), Thriftway, Metro Market, and Central Market over the weekend. Probably plenty of other places as well.

distantmantra likes this.
  36. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Nope. I still think that they're IPAs for people who don't like IPAs. Although, that Star Ryeder I had at Skookum a few days ago was pretty damn fantastic. It had the look and body of a SunnyD beer, but still had had a nice NW bite to it. Also had both of Structures new opaque beers, Lhazy and Splash, a couple days ago. Splash didn't really hit my buttons, but the Lhazy was solid enough that I'll probably have it again.

JasonJYoung, vurt, kemoarps and 2 others like this.
  37. John_M

John_M (1,550) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Great Notion had most of their ipa portfolio on tap the friday I stopped by, and so I ordered the stash, melon, the peach and apricot version and the creamsicle. Granted, the creamsicle was mind blowing, but I ended not drinking most of the others. They certainly weren't terrible, but as seems to always be the case, I just couldn't stay interested em.

I'll go back for the creamsicle any time they have it, but I don't need to ever drink any of their other "ipa's" I don't think.

NWer and vurt like this.
  38. Moose90

Moose90 (0) Nov 25, 2012 Washington

It is worth stopping in. Just go straight to the back of the space, or park in back if you can. Up front is an awesome little breakfast joint, but the brewery and tap room are all in the back. Pretty easy to get to and it isn't more than a few minutes off I5.

Erik-P likes this.
  39. Ninjakillzu

Ninjakillzu (0) Oct 5, 2015 Washington

I just had a bottle of the Little Juice Smoothie Edition the other day and thought it was pretty good. Almost as good as Block 15's Intergalactic Hop Shop.

NWer and distantmantra like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.