Tilted Barn (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by Rysk22, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (208) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Haven't been in a long while... hoping to make a visit this Saturday. Will likely be there around 2pm. What's the situation been like lately?

tzieser likes this.
  2. WoolEnthusiast

WoolEnthusiast Initiate (104) Dec 15, 2018 Connecticut
    Trader

When I went a few weekends back (about the same time, 2pm on Sat), it was pretty subdued. Maybe 15-20 people in line, took about 20 minutes. Still had 2 out of the 3 cans for that release left.

tzieser likes this.
  3. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (551) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island

Can't speak to the to-go situation but be forewarned that TB is expanding to 3 days going forward starting this week. That means the allotment will be split between Thu-Sat instead of Fri-Sat, so they could sell out a little more quickly. There is carryover from last week that should "last well into the weekend" per their F-book message. Per my social media it seems since the holidays it is fairly quiet with a line at opening which runs through around the first hour, then it is relaxed with some leftover cans and room to enjoy a draft after that...

sulldaddy likes this.
  4. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,067) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey

Sorry in advanced for necroposting. I'm really surprised there hasn't been a post here since March 14th....

Has the situation @ Tilted Barn improved at all in regards to wait times in the past few years? I recall hearing that Tilted Barn was an absolute shitshow a year or two ago. Is it like most "hype" breweries in that the later you go the better off you are? I was thinking about stopping by on maybe Friday or Saturday afternoon but I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice for a first time vistor who would rather not wait in line for 30+ minutes.

Thanks!

5. ncuba

ncuba Initiate (33) Dec 20, 2008 Massachusetts

I went on a Thursday evening in May and there was no line at all and they had like 5 or 6 can options to go. Summer might be worse than that but seems like things not as bad as before.

tzieser likes this.
  6. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,067) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey

Thanks for the report, man!

7. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (435) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

I went last Friday around 1pm — and walked right up and grabbed some 4 packs and a draft. Hung out on one of the picnic tables. I thought the beers in cans were a bit mixed — ferm16 dipa very good - summit pale not so good - a bit of a sweet flavor that I just didn’t find that appealing. I’d go if in the area but probably wouldn’t make a special trip - more and more breweries in the middle ground area just below the big boys.

8. raenge

raenge Initiate (53) Dec 31, 2016 Rhode Island

The crowds definitely have settled down for Tilted Barn other than for DDH releases of their doubles. Most beers carry over at least a week. I still think they make very good beer - drinking a Milo as I type. The brewery vibes are definitely the best in the area.

They’ve had some new releases recently but I still think they’re lagging a bit in terms of variety. Last I knew plans were still moving ahead with a new brewery with expanded space so hopefully they are able to branch out more.

Rysk22 likes this.
  9. Xerlic

Xerlic Initiate (152) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Trader

Wasn't this brewery very hype not that long ago? It seems it died down based on previous posts (only 7?).

I'm going to be in Narragansett in a few weeks, and wanted to swing by Tilted Barn on my way to our airbnb. Do they typically have beer to go? Seems like yes, but I should plan to go on Thursday or Friday if able. Also, any recommendations for beer spots to hit in the Charlestown to Narragansett area?

10. Mikecap

Mikecap Crusader (798) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

In my experience, early Friday afternoons are a great time to go - not super crowded, and plenty of canned beers available. I've never been on a Thursday evening however, so that may be even better considering they carry beers over from the prior week.

For bars, I hadn't been to Mews in a while but went a couple weeks back. There was some quality stuff on it this time, and I really enjoy there food. Back 40 (right near Tilted Barn) also usually has a good list and solid food.

Xerlic likes this.
  11. Newport_beerguy

Also somewhat near Mews Tavern is Whalers Brewing, atmosphere is probably better than the beers but proximity is right if you wanted to tick a brewery. And two more breweries between Tilted Barn and Mews Tavern are Shaidzon in West Kingston (pretty much half lagers/half ales, decent beers), and Sons of Liberty Beer & Spirits Co. I like their whiskey better than the beer, but the one beer I go back to is their Uprising barrel-aged stout using their own used barrels.

Mikecap and Xerlic like this.
  12. Xerlic

Trader

Mews taplist looks great with a lot of local beers, and it's the kind of place I'd love to go. Definitely will be hitting them up. Whalers is really close by too, so I'll be sure to stop by there as well. That BA stout at Sons sounds amazing. How many breweries can say they BA their stouts using their own barrels? I'll try to squeeze them in as well depending on the wife's tolerance for beer stops. Thanks for all the tips.

Newport_beerguy and Mikecap like this.
  13. rdecker679

rdecker679 Initiate (36) Oct 8, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Depending on where you're coming from in NY on your drive to Narragansett, you could hit Grey Sail and Beer'd near the RI/CT border where you get off 95. If you're coming from further up, you can easily swing by Proclamation between Providence and Tilted Barn. Proc usually have both good can and tap options available, and may have local food trucks.

Xerlic likes this.
  14. Mikecap

Mikecap Crusader (798) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

Whalers is a great place to hang out for sure, and their beers are decent to good. Rise is a really good APA. Haven't had a ton from Sons, but definitely worth stopping if you're going to Whalers anyway.

Xerlic likes this.
  15. Xerlic

Trader

Hey guys. I'm coming to Narragansett tomorrow. I wasn't planning to go to tilted barn until Friday. Theyre releasing cans of DDH Cactus which I'd love to bring back home. Should I make it a point to get there on Thursday, or can I wait until Friday?

16. alexsergio

alexsergio Meyvn (1,387) Mar 7, 2011 New York
    Society Trader

They split their allotments between the days they are open, so you are fine to go on Friday.

Xerlic likes this.
  17. Xerlic

Trader

Thanks guys. I managed to hit both Tilted Barn and Whaler's and didn't have time for much else. I wanted to hit Long Live and Proclamation, but we didn't go to Warwick or PVD as planned. The pours were so cheap compared to NYC. Mews was great too.

18. Newport_beerguy

That sounds just fine! The Mews is where I cut my craft teeth while going to school down the street, they do keep evolving which is nice. My first drink of choice was Stone's Arrogant Bastard quite a few years ago. My only nit to pick is you can't get a rack with any of the "limited" beers on the first page. Seems odd if you have beer flights to only offer it on flagship/shelfie type beers, the whole reason I want to get a rack is to try these handful of beers that may be one-offs without getting blackout drunk on full drafts.

Xerlic likes this.
  19. Xerlic

Trader

Agreed that it sucks that they limit what you can get as part of a flight. Mew's taplist was pretty solid. I liked Rhode Trip from Newport Craft Brewing and my wife really enjoyed a berliner from Beer On Earth. We had never heard of either of these two breweries, so it's always great to have a place that has a lot of local stuff on tap.

The food was pretty good too. The place is downright huge.

20. Jwale73

Jwale73 Poo-Bah (4,146) Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Trader

Beer on Earth is pretty new. They've stepped up their game considerably since moving into their Providence location, which was the old Long Live place. Newport Craft Brewing is the latest iteration of Coastal Extreme/Newport Storm craft beer and distilling.

Xerlic likes this.
  21. sandsonik

sandsonik Initiate (88) Nov 14, 2015 Rhode Island

I'll add a caveat to this. They split their allotment between the 3 days, but they are open Friday 12-8, versus 3 hrs the other days, so cans tend to go early that day. But lines are nothing like they were a few years ago - chalk it up to increased production on their part and a lot more breweries in Rhode Island

22. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (208) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Plus the stupid state limit. The RI government is terrible at their job.

23. Newport_beerguy

They're great at accepting money from the distro lobby and liquor store owners looking to restrict brewery limits, though.

Rysk22 likes this.