Timothy Taylor Bottle Code

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SaltofOH, Jul 10, 2018.

1. SaltofOH

SaltofOH Crusader (786) Mar 11, 2014 Ohio

Hello BAs, wondering if anyone has any info on the Timothy Taylor Landlord bottle codes and whether they are the bottled date or best by date? I had a bottle recently, and it was excellent, but I am curious as to whether L7128 18:13 means the 128th day of 2017, or possibly a best by 7-12-18? Could the L signify the month (i.e., December)?

Any help is appreciated.

2. MNAle

MNAle Savant (970) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

If I had to guess, L = ignore, 7=2017, 128=day of year and it is a bottled date. Just a guess, though.

SaltofOH, drtth and dcotom like this.
  3. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,991) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I'd go with this, especially since a quick online search turned up zilch. A best-by date would not normally include a time code, which this one appears to have (18:13). Also, a British Gregorian date code would be in a different format than MMDDYY. A Julian bottled-on date would appear to be the most logical choice.

Billet, SaltofOH and drtth like this.
  4. moshea

moshea Devotee (432) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

5. SaltofOH

SaltofOH Crusader (786) Mar 11, 2014 Ohio

Thank you for the link. I hadn’t before, but I just e-mailed them. I will post the response. Thanks!

moshea and dcotom like this.
  6. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,304) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

SaltofOH likes this.
  7. moshea

Beer Trader

Good luck. I have never heard of the beer before, but a 4.1 % abv pale ale sounds right up my alley

SaltofOH likes this.
  8. marquis

marquis Crusader (777) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

Not heard of it? It has been acclaimed Champion Beer of Britain on four separate occasions.No other brew has done this.
    Gorgeous stuff when well kept and served, even in bottles it's still a lovely beer.

9. moshea

Beer Trader

It does not appear to be distributed in Michigan yet, if it gets here I will give it a try.

EDIT: $6.50 a bottle for a pale ale in the US, never mind too rich for my blood. What is that about 5 pounds? what does a bottle cost in the UK?

10. marquis

It depends on the store of course but ASDA which is related to Walmart charges 1.83 pounds for a 500 ml bottle or 4 bottles for 6 pounds.

tzieser likes this.
  11. tzieser

tzieser Savant (930) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

It's a fantastic English Pale Ale. If you like the style then you'll definitely enjoy it, even with the unreasonable price-tag. Definitely not an everyday drinker at that price. Pretty interesting that you haven't seen any in MI before, I've only had it when I was living in Arizona. I haven't seen any bottles back East yet but then again I haven't been looking...

Bitterbill likes this.
  12. marquis

Timothy Taylor is quite a small brewery but is well known because of its reputation.My grandson was born in the same town.
    I imagine that the scale of production limits availability in the USA

13. moshea

Beer Trader

I am sure. How much does a bottle cost in the UK?

14. marquis

See my earlier response. 4 bottles for £6 which is roughly $7.
    At its best which is on cask of course it would be about 2 times as much or more. But in a pub you are buying more than just the beer.

moshea likes this.