Tioga-Sequoia Brewing News

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by catbirdofdoom, Dec 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeerprophet

thebeerprophet Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2013 California

Thanks for the feedback guys. We always need feedback to keep improving and moving forward. Expect a Rush Day 2016 to be just as great if not better, and a follow up batch of All the Mornings b1 soon. The main goal would be to elevate the maple flavor in the beer on a bigger scale (50 gals to 900 gals)

beermeplz and Vivified like this.
  2. dutesanch

dutesanch Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 California

Does the tap room have any bottles left of any of the new releases? Anything for growler fills? I'm gonna. Try to get there tomorrow afternoon.

3. Vivified

Vivified Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2014 California

I could definitely go for more maple in it. My favorite new beer may have been the S'more, it was quite good.

4. thebeerprophet

Sorry for the late response. We had about 15-18 cases left of each Dessert Stout (S'more and Cake). We are spitting them up on The Eve's (Christmas and New Years) and releasing half for each day.

Autumn Rush bottles should be on the shelf until the end of the year. about 60 cases went to distro as well.

Cheers

5. Vivified

I'll definitely be there on NYE to grab some more S'more! May even be able to make it tomorrow, depends on if the boss lets us out early.

6. dutesanch

Thank you, probably head down on NYE

7. IpaBeerDrinkers

IpaBeerDrinkers Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2014 California

ok its getting hot....i NEED cucumber pilsner!

and as an aside, love seeing the new 6 packs, especially xpa. Did the recipe change on Firefall? Bomber i had last year was very hoppy and crisp. The 6pk tasted almost identical to fat tire

8. campa86

campa86 Initiate (103) Mar 9, 2014 California
    Trader

Sorry to hijack the thread but looking to trade for some of the recent releases happy to trade some so cal beers like ale smith lost abbey brewery only releases recently got system of a stout also. Pm if interested. Again sorry for the hijack but tg doesn't get enough love on the trade boards

9. catbirdofdoom

catbirdofdoom Initiate (168) Apr 15, 2014 California
    Trader

"It's a big week for new beers at the Beer Garden. Here is the schedule of releases with details.

Thursday August 4th 4pm- Cucumbier "Cucumber Pilsner." Draft, Growlers (1L & 2L) and Bottles ($5 each)

Friday August 5th 4pm - Sierra Dark Sky "Barrel Aged Dark Quad" and Catacomb Brew "Chardonnay Barrel Saison"

Chardonnay Catacomb Brew (660 bottles) - $10 each. Draft Pours. No Growler fills

Sierra Dark Sky (1600 bottles) - $15 each. Draft Pours. No Growler Fills."

Glad to have Cucumbier back, although we really could have used it last week with the heat!

I'm definitely looking forward to the quad. I'm curious if it's the same recipe as the BA Artillery Quad that won a bronze medal at the LA International Beer Competition. In any case, the non-BA quad they've had on a few times is quite good.

Did anyone make it to Summer Sweat to try this year's Catacomb? The blueberry is still my favorite so far, but the Chardonnay barrel sounds nice.

10. IpaBeerDrinkers

Great to see cucumbier back...

As it becomes more and more evident that TS doesnt care to be much of an IPA brewer...*sighs*

11. catbirdofdoom

Trader

Hey, TDH Citra is back!

12. aquazr1

aquazr1 Defender (657) Jul 27, 2013 California

Saw there was a keg at Eureka in Bakersfield.

13. IpaBeerDrinkers

Tdh citra is marginal imo. Taste like ddh before they changed the recipe (which they wont admit)... tdh simcoe/nelson or bust.

My issue with the ipa situation is this, objectively...gen sherman sucks. The only people that drink it are non crafters and grocery store customers. Ive never met a single person that thought it was better than ddh...which brings me to. Regular sherman is allegedly dry hopped as well, difference being filtering. Generally unfiltered ipas are better. Soooo. Ddh honestly should become the flagship ipa. Which leaves....tdh options. Not frequent enough, and most are marginal...and Tecumseh, which has had 1 amazing batch and numerous misses. And its only once a year. So in a calender year, i can;

1) Hope the 1 tecumseh release is good
    2) Ignore 2 of the 3 tdh releases because they are meh.
    3)....idk?

This is California. After Batch 250, the early ddh, tdh nelson and tdh sim b1....Never thought id see the day that I exclusively drink non ipa TS beers.

I used to be a TS fanboy. Now I only vouch for the non hoppy stuff. Pendragon annhilates them on hoppy stuff. Even nonchalant, unassuming Slauncher is probably a better ipa than TS has made in a while.

Sorry....but not sorry. You guys made TDH Nelson for christs sake. You guys made batch 250 and a nailed in Tecumseh batch. Get better on hoppy stuff...or get left behind. The region is getting way better.

All that said....pass a cucumbier my way

pro100 likes this.
  14. Vivified

What about a fresh XPA?

15. catbirdofdoom

Trader

I don't disagree with a lot of that. I think it's a bit harsh to say that Gen. Sherman sucks, but on the other hand I can't remember the last time I drank one. DDH is way better, and if they were to replace the current Sherman with it, I don't think anyone would be too sad.

While the TDH releases haven't all been great, I've enjoyed the experimentation, and some of them have been excellent: Simcoe and Nelson, but also Mandarina Bavaria, and the very first batch of Citra. I haven't had this Citra yet, so I'll withhold judgement, but if it's more similar to batch 1 than the last one, it should be a good beer. I am disappointed that they've stopped making as many of them. A year or so ago, it felt like there was a new one every month. Not just with TDH, but I feel like their overall level of innovation has tailed off some since Lee left.

I've never been a big fan of Tecumseh (it's alright), but then there aren't many TIPAs that I do like. XPA is a great beer. And some of the one-off pilot batch IPAs have been quite good.

That said, yeah, if you're looking for hops, Pendragon is the place to go right now. Tommy is a great brewer and finally seems to have the new brewing system nailed down. Lancelot was dodgy for awhile there. I find myself there more often than T-S, but sometimes you walk in and over half of the beers on might be IPAs, which isn't great for variety. I'm unimpressed with Slauncher or really anything that Kaweah has put out.

16. IpaBeerDrinkers

Im not big on slauncher, and as a whole kaweah sucks...but in my circle, ppl are certainly looking for slauncher more often than a ts ipa....and HoP mostly having hoppy stuff is...geograpically correct. I dont know a single person whos go to is sour, saison, or whatever the other hipster styles are

17. IpaBeerDrinkers

Again....dont wanna "bash" TS

Slide a cucumbier or otherwise to me....but you guys are NOT the hop destination in Fresno

18. catbirdofdoom

Trader

Well, I love a good saison and Pendragon's sour and funky beer program (the few so far have been amazing) is probably the thing I'm most looking forward to in the local beer scene, so I guess I'm a hipster. And I don't see why, "geographically" the valley can't or shouldn't produce those styles. There's plenty of people here who enjoy them. While T-S's IPAs could be better, I'm happy they're adding more variety. Can't wait to try that quad.

19. IpaBeerDrinkers

If you drink those offerings.....im sorry, but ya you are a hipster. And its not that the valley shouldnt produce that stuff, but if it takes precedence over hoppy stuff, than it isnt a true west coast brewery. Thats all. People will take offense, and thats fine. I want good beer, not internet tuff guys

20. IpaBeerDrinkers

And not that im implying that you are a " tough guy"... but someone on here, twitter or instagram will threaten me with a tough guy post

21. IpaBeerDrinkers

Well...someone was a lil sauced last night and was being a dick. My apologies...to clarify...

It doesnt matter what style someone drinks. It just gets frustrating because IPA people are generally frowned upon for chasing the newest release, being "fad" drinkers etc. I use the term "hipster" because it isnt an IPA release that creates lines around the corner at TS. Its all these other styles. So while we are portrayed as fad drinkers, it is actually the fans of other styles perpetuating what we get blamed for.

And then the brewer wont even be developing their hoppy offerings, but the more hyped styles that create lines.

Im just mad cause I'll never drink a tdh nelson again and that makes me want to curl into a fetal position and cry

22. nsheehan

nsheehan Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2011 Texas

Has Tioga Sequioa had any known infection issues?
    A Sugar Pine Cocoa-Vanilla Porter I had a while back was bad, it foamed up a lot, and the beer continued to foam up while still in the bottle. It tasted off as well.
    It was disappointing. I was looking forward to a beer with vanilla and no coffee.

23. catbirdofdoom

Trader

Not that I'm aware of. Any known issues @thebeerprophet ?

24. thebeerprophet

@nsheehan Unfiltered and unpasteurized beers have odds of re-fermenting in a bottle over time and conditions (Heat, Light etc). We get complaints about Half Dome from time to time being over carbonated. Although I can't say that was the issue with your bottle, tiogasequoia does have a policy of always making things right. email them. They will try and make it right.

@IpaBeerDrinkers A string of TDH's are coming including some new ones (Galaxy, El Dorado, and Eureka). Simcoe will return for sure and Nelson if the quantity of hops needed become available. I even see batches of hop specific XPAs coming as well. Production has been tight over the last three months and bigger batch specialties took a back seat while making arrangements for growth.

#184 thebeerprophet, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    Trio2shine likes this.
  25. Vivified

That sounds great! The latest batch of XPA has been great!

catbirdofdoom likes this.
  26. catbirdofdoom

Trader

I'm very impressed with the Chardonnay Barrel-Aged Catacomb. It has a big white wine and oak presence, with citrus, stone fruit, and a mild, refreshing acidity. It was a little better from the bottle than on draft. It's probably one of my favorite few beers T-S has put out, actually. I really hope this is an avenue that they pursue further.

Sierra Dark Sky is good, if a little strong on the bourbon and booze right now. It hits the brown sugar, dark fruit, spicy notes you'd expect, in addition to the barrel influence, which includes a nice subtle coconut. I haven't opened a bottle yet, but it might be a good idea to let this one rest a while to mellow out.

They also had archive kegs of Catacomb Apricot and Vanilla on this weekend. Apricot was really nice, with more fruit than I expected 2 years later, especially in the aroma. Moderately spicy phenols have come to the forefront. I didn't like Vanilla much last year, and still don't, although it's better, with a fruitier flavor now. Still too much vanilla, though.

I also picked up a growler of TDH Citra, which was really lovely. Different than any of the other Citra batches, at least as I remember them, but very nice. More fruit-forward, with less pine resin, and less bitterness than some of the other TDH batches. Good weekend at Tioga, overall.

thebeerprophet and Trio2shine like this.
  27. thebeerprophet

@catbirdofdoom glad to hear. You pretty much nailed my thoughts exactly on everything. This batch of TDH Citra being my favorite batch and the Chard Catacomb also being my favorite "Catacomb Brew". A sign of things to come for sure.

We are doing more work with kettle souring , and playing with more styles like Berliners, and Farmhouse/Saisons on the pilot level. However, I don't see us experimenting with wild yeast and fruit during fermentation until we acquire a separate cool storage space to age and package.

28. Vivified

29. Vivified

"Wednesday: New Beers: Bourbon Bacon Maple Autumnus, Half Dome 2.0, and Roast Gose (Gose with Ghost Peppers). All available for growler fills. (Note: BBMA is not barrel aged, but bacon soaked in bourbon then toasted).

Friday: Autumn Rush and BAMM on tap, bottles of BAMM, BAVML, Autumn Rush, and Mocha Midnight to go (Limit 1 per on BAs)

Saturday: If you have been holding out on TS apparel purchases, Saturday would be the time to go. packaged deals and 10% off all apparel."

30. thebeerprophet

From the Rush Day event page on Facebook.

We are pleased to announce the Third Annual "Rush Day" at the Tioga Sequoia Beer Garden (745 Fulton, Fresno, CA 93721) on December 17th, 2016 from 11am until 11pm.

Rush Day has more than surpassed our expectations the past two years and has become an event that beer geeks of the central valley have grown to embrace and cherish. For those who have not been, Rush Day is the day Tioga-Sequoia Brewing Co celebrates artisan coffee and coffee infused beers. The headliner of the day is the release of Rush Hour Breakfast Stout our chocolate milk stout infused with locally roasted coffee. This year we have partnered with three different local roasters to put on a Rush experience unlike any in the past. We will feature Lanna Coffee Co(Downtown Fresno), Slow Train Coffee Roaster (Visalia, CA), and Valparaiso Cafe & Roastery (Downtown Fresno). All the local roasters will be on site day of selling their coffee beans used in each batch of Rush Hour as well as offering samples of the coffee.

Each variant of Rush Hour will be bottled for to go purchases as well as be served on draft and growlers to go. The goal is to have the public vote on Rush Day for their favorite coffee variant of Rush Hour and the winning beer/roaster will be produced for 2017. Mass distributed Rush Hour blends will be made throughout the year spanning all over the valley in bars/restaurants and in supermarkets/bottle shops from Bakersfield to Stockton.

Rush Hour may be the beer that started it all, but Rush Day has quickly become a special day for many of our coffee infused beers. This year we will also be releasing the third iteration of our barrel project series called Cake Rush - Coconut Imperial Breakfast Stout on tap and in bottles. This beer is a whiskey barrel aged blend of beers infused with coffee, vanilla beans, and freshly toasted coconut. About 2300 bottles will be produced in total. We will also be releasing a very special/limited beer called All the Mornings - Maple Breakfast Stout. This beer is a collaboration imperial milk stout using a blend of the 3 local roaster's coffee, Indonesian Cacao Nibs roasted by local chocolatier Molucca Chocolate, and pure New England Maple Syrup. Hints of Cinnamon as well as Madagascar Vanilla Beans will be added to the infusion. Pretty much everything you'd want in a breakfast stout harmoniously combined into one beer.

Our friends from Taste Kitchen and Pita Kabob & Grill will be joining us for the food portion of our event starting at 11am. Taste Kitchen will be making a coffee infusion signature dish that you will not want to miss out on. More details to come on the food menu

We also plan to have some dessert friends joining us this year. The first is Dana's Cookies with her wonderfully delicious beer infused cookies. The second will be Rubia's Churro Parties who will be working on a coffee infused dip to go with her churros.

More details to come as soon as we have them including bottle yields, limits, prices, etc.

31. bnelson997

bnelson997 Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2013 California

Gorgeous

dutesanch, Kurmaraja and Jfa82 like this.
  32. Jfa82

Jfa82 Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2016 California

Earlier this year I was introduced to TS and my god they make some awesome beers. Since then I've been hunting and trading for as much of their stuff as possible. Mocha Midnight is amazing, and so is Rush Hour. I wish there was a way I could get it to LA and actually have my money go to them, rather than trading a bottle for it. A friend of mine had a brother who planned to go to school up there this fall, then decided to go to Colorado. Sadly, my dream pipeline never came to be. Especially since he's not a beer guy, I could have had his 1pp bottles. Anyway, Keep up the good work fellas. Hope to make it up there one day.

33. aquazr1

aquazr1 Defender (657) Jul 27, 2013 California

The AtM pilot batch they did last year was the best beer they ever did so I am looking forward to this release.

34. catbirdofdoom

Trader

It was a nice event today. Making the three Rush Hour coffee variants a blind tasting was a terrific idea, and I'm very curious how the vote turned out. It was a great way to determine who will replace the dearly departed Cafe Corazón coffee. My favorite was the square, which had a really lovely spiced flavor and aroma, just beating out the triangle, which I thought had the most robust coffee presence. Anyone else go? Which did you like best?

All the Mornings was great, and an improvement over last year's pilot batch. The bumped up ABV adds some heft, and they clearly used a lot more maple syrup this year. Cake Rush was very good, although Midnight Rush (which was on tap!) is still my favorite Barrel Project release.

The food options were good too, especially with Taste Kitchen, Dana's Cookies, and the churro stand working the beers and coffees into their menus. TK's Lanna Coffee horchata was delicious.

The only quibbles: knowing that the blind tasting flight would be the centerpiece of the event, they probably should have made sure there were more flight trays/paddles. And I'd really like to see a stop put to the in-line bottle sharing, which was more of an issue this year than in the past. Some people were pouring tasters of beer out onto the street and sidewalk. A few people were already drunk before going in to the beer garden. It creates a potential liability issue for T-S and I'd hate to see their ABC license jeopardized. And it creates an unpleasant environment. Otherwise, I had a great time, though.

35. dutesanch

All the mornings and Cake rush were incredible. Two best beers they've ever made. I voted for the circle.

The only thing TS can discourage the bottle sharing outside of their fences would be simply to not issue wristbands or admission to those who are drunk. Not sure they can really control a public street. Ironically the lady with the poster on the TS Instagram page was shitfaced, and that was about 45min prior to opening. 10:15 am ish.

36. catbirdofdoom

Trader

Looks like the Valparaiso variant (triangle) won. Congratulations to them! Circle = Slow Train, Square = Lanna.

Also, there's two more releases from the Rush Hour family coming: Get S'more on Christmas Eve, and Piece of Cake on New Year's Eve.

That's pretty much what I'd like to see. At least make an announcement beforehand that it isn't allowed, like Firestone and other breweries do. I know they don't have total control, but that would be something.

Yeah, she was the worst one I saw. She managed to dump her flight over almost as soon as she got it.

37. dutesanch

I saw that too, we were just outside the fence right next to their table. Sad waste of good beer.

With family dinners, travel, church, ect. Is Christmas eve really the best time to release a new beer?

Vivified likes this.
  38. catbirdofdoom

Trader

Agreed, it's a weird choice. I'll try to swing by, but it may be tough. Lots to do. While S'more was nice enough last year, I'm not going to worry too much about it if I don't make it.

39. Vivified

Really looking forward to this!

pro100, catbirdofdoom and bnelson997 like this.
  40. catbirdofdoom

Trader

They've done two NE-style pale ales so far. It Was All A Dream was really good, but I wasn't crazy about Moving Mountains. I'm definitely hopeful for this IPA. $17 per 16 oz 4-pack. It's also worth noting that they're going to the Track 7 Invitational this weekend, and will be delivering cans of Valley Haze to some Sacramento stores.

Another thing that probably should have been posted here back in November is that they are expanding. They purchased the old Amvet warehouse next door, which gives them an extra 14,000 square feet. In theory, that could take them from 9,000 barrels to 40,000 according to this article.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.