Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Tired Hands (April 2017)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Kadonny, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,235) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Useful Links:

* Tired Hands on Instagram (can releases usually take place on Wednesday/Thursday afternoon)
    * Tired Hands Brew Cafe
    * Tired Hands Fermentaria
    * Spreadsheet of Tired Hands Can release history made by @BeerTraveler33 (1st tab is Treehouse 2nd tab is Tired Hands)

Hours of Operation:

Brew Café:

HOURS:
    M: **Closed**
    T: 4p–12a (kitchen: 4p–10p)
    W: 4p–12a (kitchen: 4p–10p)
    Th: 4p–12a (kitchen: 4p–10p)
    F: 4p–1a (kitchen: 4p–11p)
    Sa: 12p–1a (kitchen: 12p-11p)
    Su 12p–11p (kitchen: 12p–10p)

Fermentaria:

HOURS (Kitchen):
    M: 12p–11p (12p–10p)
    T: 12p–11p (12p–10p)
    W: 12p–12a (12p–10p)
    Th: 12p–12a (12p–10p)
    F: 12p–1a (12p–11p)
    Sa: 12p–1a (12p-11p)
    Su 12p–11p (12p–10p)

Growler Filling Policy: "Please feel free to fill as many growlers as you would like. In Pennsylvania, each transaction must be limited to 192 fluid ounces. This means that upon receipt, if you would like to purchase more than 192 fluid ounces of our beer, you must leave the premises and then return to pick up additional beer (and then repeat the cycle if you’d like any more beer!).

We will also be opening up for 64 oz growler fills on MOST ALL BEERS. There will, of course, continue to be a few beers that we will not do any growler fills of (one-off kegs, anniversary beers, etc.), but this should be a rare occurrence.

We will continue to fill our branded glassware only, as we are STILL exceedingly proud to put our name on our Strange & Beautiful beer. If this is a very big issue for you, we will be happy to let you “trade-in” any growler for one of ours. Sound good?"

Growler fill Prices
    64 oz:
    $20.00
    32 oz: $10.50
    Glass: $5.00

(prices vary occasionally for higher gravity / limited quantity beers)

2. Kadonny

Beer Trader

@DrinkAnchorSteam didn't put up an April thread yet, so I did it. If it's a no-no for me to do it we can let this one fall off the page.

I assume there was no Sunday release this weekend, I was away but I didn't see anything for sure.

DrinkAnchorSteam likes this.
  3. DrinkAnchorSteam

DrinkAnchorSteam Aspirant (294) Jan 23, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Nope anyone can make it. I actually only did it the one month because I hadn't seen one made at that time. Then just went with it from there.

Kadonny likes this.
  4. DrinkAnchorSteam

Subscriber Beer Trader

From their Instagram looks like two beers this week are Hazy Jane I and Hazy Jane II

Kadonny likes this.
  5. Kadonny

Beer Trader

Hmmmm, is this a new one/ones? Don't see them listed here.

6. LJTate

LJTate Aspirant (270) Dec 31, 2014 Pennsylvania

I really hope that Tired Hands doesn't start announcing all can sales on the day of the sale like last week. That would really screw up someone like myself who drives from some 80 miles away and needs time to plan my work schedule to get away.

HopBomb515 likes this.
  7. digdug1810

digdug1810 Aspirant (262) Mar 1, 2011 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

:slight_frown:

i'm going to clue you in on something.. TH doesn't give a fuck about you nor anybody elses schedule. until the day comes when multiple releases don't sell out day of or day after they aren't going to change shit

8. makalarch

makalarch Disciple (341) Jul 31, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

And that good friends is the straight talk express. this whole thing does seem to be getting worse? i don't know if i'm finally over the novelty of can releases now that it's been over a year? what was once an exciting "I wonder what's next!" is now just ...

9. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Initiate (177) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Or, maybe by pushing back can announcements they want to cater to the locals who continually stop by after work instead of planning 5 hours trips to the Ferm? Or by doing so they want to cut down on the ridiculous line? I know some people continually think differently of the brewery, but I don't think either of those explanations are ridiculous to consider...

VTnerf, kc1, Jonada and 2 others like this.
  10. LJTate

This could also have to with the fact that the construction on Cricket has pushed the line into other parts of the neighborhood. Perhaps the locals on these streets are not happy.

11. NickCaff

NickCaff Aspirant (231) Apr 9, 2009 Pennsylvania

If I were a local and not a Tired Hands regular, I wouldn't be happy with the lines

JackHorzempa and digdug1810 like this.
  12. NickCaff

13. kc1

kc1 Initiate (181) Oct 26, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I kinda wish they would dial back the offerings with lactose sugar tbh

14. yossle

yossle Initiate (182) Dec 31, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Hazey Jane I sounds especially good to me.

Kadonny likes this.
  15. Adrena1ine

Adrena1ine Aspirant (256) Nov 22, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Quote of the month right here. Facts.

Peterock27 and JackHorzempa like this.
  16. jojo2112

jojo2112 Initiate (137) Sep 24, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I tend to agree...but they are tasty.

17. jojo2112

jojo2112 Initiate (137) Sep 24, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Odd how they announced HopHands before the other two.

Those Hazey Jane labels look awfully Other Halfy.

Kadonny and HopBomb515 like this.
  18. LJTate

I never said Tired Hands gave a shit about me. If I can't make it to a release, some other beer nerd will be ready and willing to buy the beer. So I don't need you to clue me in to a fucking thing.

19. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,065) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Permit me to suggest that the part of "nor anybody elses schedule" is the bigger part of the message.

Cheers!

beertrip, Adrena1ine and digdug1810 like this.
  20. Streaky

Streaky Initiate (199) Mar 26, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Really wish the beer with added sugar thing would end. It's already got natural sugars it doesn't need to be turned into soda.

21. JackHorzempa

Supporter

Or a Milkshake!?!:rolling_eyes:

Cheers!

Nickwierda likes this.
  22. Adrena1ine

Adrena1ine Aspirant (256) Nov 22, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Whats the fascination with lactose sugar? They just cant seem to break away from it..

23. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (399) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Some of my favorite breweries, Tired Hands included, are also some of the worst offenders in a trend that I hate, which is catering to child-like taste preferences. All this added sugar, fruit, and dessert is ridiculous at this point. It was kind of fun as a novelty but now its the biggest draw.

24. DrinkAnchorSteam

Subscriber Beer Trader

"brewed with spelt and lactose sugar"

"Brewed with malted oats, raw white wheat, and lactose sugar"

This may sound stupid but does this mean neither of these beers are using any barley?

25. breslinp

breslinp Initiate (43) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

They need something with diastatic power to convert the starch to sugar so it's safe to assume it's 50% barley or much more.

DrinkAnchorSteam likes this.
  26. DrinkAnchorSteam

Subscriber Beer Trader

ok, thanks. I guess it's just a "given" and that's why they don't list it in the ingredient call-out. Then again they don't mention any specific yeast but not many do.

27. JackHorzempa

Supporter

Because the "child-like" customers are willing to pay BIG BUCKS for those beers? Over 20 bucks a 4-pack for Milkshake series beers.

Cheers!

28. Kadonny

Beer Trader

Don't they though? I thought the exact same thing.

29. kc1

Beer Trader

Are they really supposed to care about our schedules? They're a business they're there to make money. basically if you can't make it to can releases its too bad but its not like you can't get beer at all just grab a growler or a pint. The moaning and crying is tiring.

Jonada likes this.
  30. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (472) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

The complaints are getting comical. "They charge too much!" "They cater to child-like tastes!" "They don't care about my schedule!"

You realize they sell out most can releases instantly and have other beers inside their establishments, most of which are not made with lactose, right? Does it really warrant a complaint if a brewery isn't canning the exact beer you want, when you want it, at the price you want? Jesus people, have a little perspective and stop hating all the time.

31. NickCaff

I am boycotting their establishment until they can punge again.....

32. kc1

Beer Trader

I've got plenty of perspective.

33. NickCaff

Just saw on Instagram that chairs were banned by the township - not sure if it is true. Anyone hear more about this? If it's true it is not shocking at all....

ECdOc likes this.
  34. Twism86

Twism86 Initiate (194) Nov 3, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Seriously. Can we go back to piney, hoppy IPAs already?

callmemickey and Adrena1ine like this.
  35. Twism86

Twism86 Initiate (194) Nov 3, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

That would be great, putting something to hold you place in line is BS anyway. If you get there, you stay there. I havent been to a TH release but if I did, I would stand behind the last PERSON I see, not a chair.

36. LuckyOneSix

LuckyOneSix Initiate (183) Aug 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Seeing this in the groups I'm in. Wouldn't be surprised if it's:
    1) True
    2) Tired Hands won't comment about it until after this release.

Can't wait to see what this shitshow is going to look like at 4 when I get there. Maybe I'll be bumped up to the front of the line!! :slight_smile:

37. makalarch

makalarch Disciple (341) Jul 31, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Been hearing that yes chairs are banned and if you are there you should go get yours otherwise it might not be there in a couple hours.

38. kc1

Beer Trader

Well if the chairs are done the only good thing to come out of it is we won't hear from the internet tough guys anymore that would throw the chairs out of the way and move to the front

HopBomb515 likes this.
  39. NickCaff

The chairs have created a weird dynamic. Hopefully people will be less inclined to get to releases 5 hours early and it can be a little less of a mess. It worked fine at the cafe for years, but then people started dropping chairs and leaving. It looks bad to locals and local businesses, I am surprised they allowed it this long. It does bring some business to the area, but more likely it scares people away.

pmarlowe likes this.
  40. Kadonny

Beer Trader

Please, please, please make this true!!!!

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.