Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Tired Hands (September 2017)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by LuckyOneSix, Sep 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,231) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

And........................

2. NickCaff

NickCaff Aspirant (229) Apr 9, 2009 Pennsylvania

I am guessing this release will not last until Thursday. Except maybe the alien church

3. makalarch

makalarch Disciple (336) Jul 31, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Based on Facebook iso's etc it looks like these days I can just get any beer I am looking for by picking up some milkshakes. A Black Tuesday for some cans? Sure. Some decent lambics from Belgium? Great!

jonphisher and LuckyOneSix like this.
  4. LuckyOneSix

LuckyOneSix Initiate (181) Aug 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

This one should be fun. Showers and thunderstorms. Maybe just maybe it will keep some people away. :smirk:

Kadonny likes this.
  5. Adrena1ine

Adrena1ine Aspirant (252) Nov 22, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Don't mind me just throwing out answer crowlers, affogato, and the like :stuck_out_tongue:

jonphisher likes this.
  6. jonphisher

jonphisher Initiate (192) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Only reason these releases are nuts. If anyone can drink more than a four pack to yourself power to you. I'd love to try a can or two but no way I'd give a few hours of time to get any. On a sidenote, anyone else think it's odd that tangerine dream doesn't have tangerine in it?

Rorshak16, NodEast and digdug1810 like this.
  7. Kadonny

Beer Trader

So much for the weekend shake releases.........still it sounds delicious.

NickCaff likes this.
  8. jojo2112

jojo2112 Initiate (135) Sep 24, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Man, haven't been to a release in a while and was planning on going this week but I swore off Shake releases. That one does sound delicious, but I think maybe I'll hold out for a more subdued release.

jonphisher likes this.
  9. makalarch

Subscriber Beer Trader

Right there with you, tempting though.

jonphisher likes this.
  10. crow121

crow121 Initiate (196) Sep 23, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Did orange milkshake at the cafe have orange? Is this comparable?

11. Adrena1ine

Beer Trader

Well if a weekend shake release didn't test the townships patience a weekday one sure will. This shake seems to be the most popular yet from all the pre-trades I have been seeing.

makalarch likes this.
  12. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (467) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

I'm not surprised. It sounds insanely good. Going to be a fun scene over there now that school is back in session but the parking situation is still FUBAR. Twice the traffic with half the places for it to go!

13. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,656) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

So, essentially Milksaint Fiver with Mandarin instead of Yuzu. This one sounds really, really good.

jonphisher likes this.
  14. digdug1810

digdug1810 Aspirant (260) Mar 1, 2011 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

kalamansi shake was one of the best, hopefully this has a lot of that going on more so then the other fruits listed

NickCaff and NodEast like this.
  15. Kadonny

Beer Trader

Me too. Very tempting, but you'll have to be there by 4 or so. No allotment numbers yet.

16. bmrattay

bmrattay Initiate (165) Dec 29, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Line was already down Athens as of 12:15ish. Had already crossed over Rittenhouse and begun it's straight shot into residential oblivion.

makalarch likes this.
  17. LuckyOneSix

Beer Trader

I miss those days of being unemployed, temporarily living off of a severance package, enjoying weekday drinking at the ferm while looking for jobs, comfortably knowing my linechair was by the ferm parking lot on a shake release. Nowadays..feel free to stop by and say hello at the back of the line around 6 tonight :rofl:

jonphisher likes this.
  18. Kadonny

Beer Trader

Ughhh, at 12:15 it's already wrapped around well onto Athens? Wow.

19. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,016) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

An example of Shake n' Bake...baby!?!:rolling_eyes:

Cheers!

Kadonny likes this.
  20. kdb150

And that was before they announced 3 4-packs per person. Ugh.

21. CharacterZero

CharacterZero Initiate (143) Aug 23, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

got them today but boy, what a mess. I got there at 10:45am, the idea being that I would wait to drop a chair at noon. I was one of the first chairs down Athens at 11am... then the rain came. At noon moved up to the Ferm once the line crossed over to the garage door. I left my chair and went and did some work, came back at 3:30 to hang by my chair and wait it out. Couldn't get over this group of older dudes hanging up there that were stacking the line and continually going up and getting in the face of the young girl that does crowd control by the compost.

The milkshakes really bring out the worst. I can only imagine what it was like at the tail end of that line.

JackHorzempa, Adrena1ine and NickCaff like this.
  22. kdb150

So people will wait with their chairs until noon and then leave them there? So much for the chairs being a shortcut.

23. CharacterZero

Beer Trader

only on the shake days. I am fairly lucky I live 5 miles away from the Ferm, but many of the people in line on these shake days are driving from 2 hrs plus just to get there. Hence the reason why Tired Hands can sling a ton of Alien Church etc on the same days (dont get my wrong, Alien Church is phenomenal, but its there every two weeks and avail in growler basically full time)... I literally waited today to put my chair down to wait, which I returned to in order to wait longer for 12 beers (not including the 4 pack of the DIPA I bought). Crazy when you break it down for what it is.

Kadonny likes this.
  24. jojo2112

jojo2112 Initiate (135) Sep 24, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

That's what I was thinking. So now there is essentially a line to get in line? That is hysterical.

Adrena1ine and Kadonny like this.
  25. Kadonny

Beer Trader

Now there's a line to place a chair. So a line to get in line. Scary.

CharacterZero likes this.
  26. LuckyOneSix

Beer Trader

Got in line at 5:45, and it was at the Rittenhouse corner. After nearly 2 hours, got up to the trashcans and was shut out..about 12-15 ahead of me.

27. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Savant (997) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

28. jonphisher

jonphisher Initiate (192) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

When will you people realize none of this crap is worth it. Let's face it you'll line up again or buy more beer again in a week or two. Then a month or two from now you'll forget about the beer you wasted hours of time to get anyway and they'll sit in the back of your fridge while you drink fresher ones. It's a vicious cycle to get stuck in. It's a vicious cycle. Whether you realize it or not these breweries are marketing like pros, remember when craft used to hate marketing and it was word of mouth. Social media ruins all. Rant over just hope it may help some people see the light.

29. CharacterZero

Beer Trader

I absolutely agree. Really the only release that requires the waiting now are milkshakes. Every other release I can roll up at 7ish, wait in no line, and walk off with a four pack of each release. It's wonderful.

I personally came to a reckoning when I got home last night and thought about the amount of time I wasted over the course of the day for said milkshakes. I am done with those monster releases. Toss in the fact that a milkshake allotment and a single 4 pack of the double IPA release came to $96, I'm tapping out.

With that said I can't wait to try my luck at noon today for the Kane release... here is hoping Tired Hands can take a look at alternative ways to get the milkshakes out. As I said above it's doubtful when they can sling two other beers with the shakes and basically triple their intake. Please don't think I'm hating on their success, I think it's wonderful. Just my .02.

larryi86 and Kadonny like this.
  30. Adrena1ine

Beer Trader

That would be enough for me to never do another shake release again.

31. Kadonny

Beer Trader

See now that's better (not for you of course) than I expected. I know they had 600 and some allotments, but I figured based on early returns if you were not in line at 4:30 to 5 you were too late anywyay. Interesting.

It should be interesting to see how the shake lines are affected by colder weather because I thought last years lines were bad but they are doing nothing but getting worse this year.

32. digdug1810

digdug1810 Aspirant (260) Mar 1, 2011 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

yeah normally if they have 700+ allotments you can get there after 5 and be ok.. i lucked out i think with double rasp shake and got there at 6 and it sold out around 7:15

heard yesterday moved real slow bc with 3 cans you end up with people getting full shake but then some mixed form of the other 2 slowing every transaction down

33. Chroma914

Chroma914 Initiate (55) Oct 13, 2006 Pennsylvania

Any time there is a 3 can release, the line moves slow as shit. It'd be great if there was a 3rd iPad register for these releases, but whatever #dreamipad

34. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Initiate (175) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Weren't there three, yesterday?

35. LuckyOneSix

Beer Trader

It's funny you mention that, b/c that's exactly what I thought to myself on the drive home from Ardmore.

Esch30 and Adrena1ine like this.
  36. makalarch

Subscriber Beer Trader

Watched the trade threads throughout the day yesterday as the Tangerine Dream shake values kept creeping up hence why I was tempted to go. I didn't end up going but that's exactly the reason why these releases are the way they are. The shakes themselves wouldn't be enough for the all day hassle it ends up being but the value comes from the fact that this summer alone I have tried beers I never really dreamed of being able to try thanks to various cans of that hazy goodness. I don't trade much, and I never trade all of anything I buy, but no, I am not going to turn down your Fou Foune.

37. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,434) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

Maybe this is a naive question, but is there an established black market for these beers to be sold for profit? That seems to be the only reasonable explanation for the behavior of routinely waiting 8+ hours to buy 12 beers.

It also boggles my mind that there are so many people on a Venn diagram of those that both don't work a normal Mon-Fri 8-5 job, and also on a weekly basis can afford $150 for a case of beer.

2nd shift wouldn't be done in time to start, and 3rd shift people need to sleep, so that can't be the explanation either. I know there are jobs like Nurses and Cops that might work (3) 12's in a week, or Hospitality/Retail staff that might work more on weekends. But I didn't think there were so many that also were beer fanatics with a high amount of disposable income.

38. Adrena1ine

Beer Trader

Yeah $80+ for a 4pk.

JackHorzempa, LuckyOneSix and jmdrpi like this.
  39. makalarch

Subscriber Beer Trader

To answer your first question yes there is, and it is generally done through facebook at your own risk (there have been stings). Seen 4 packs go for 4 times purchase price in both cash and trade value.
    Second I think there are simply a lot of people in the area that drop a chair and go back to work which given that this it the Tired Hands approved method of transaction would be exactly what I would do if I worked closer.

JackHorzempa and jmdrpi like this.
  40. Streaky

Streaky Initiate (199) Mar 26, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Crazy experiment for someone with more free time than me: add up the number of full allotment prices and hours spent waiting in line then working trading forums and then put those figures against the price of a few days off work for a long weekend trip to Cantillon in Belgium...I bet they're pretty close!

jmdrpi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.