Tired Hands (September 2018)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by LuckyOneSix, Sep 3, 2018.

1. LuckyOneSix

LuckyOneSix Initiate (156) Aug 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Useful Links:

* Tired Hands on Instagram (can releases usually take place on Wednesday/Thursday afternoon)
    * Tired Hands Brew Cafe
    * Tired Hands Fermentaria
    * Tired Hands General Store

Hours of Operation:

Brew Café:

HOURS:
    M: **Closed**
    T: 4p–11p (kitchen: 4p–10p)
    W: 4p–12a (kitchen: 4p–10p)
    Th: 4p–12a (kitchen: 4p–10p)
    F: 4p–1a (kitchen: 4p–12a)
    Sa: 12p–1a (kitchen: 12p-12a)
    Su 12p–11p (kitchen: 12p–10p)
    M: CLOSED

Fermentaria:

HOURS (Kitchen):
    M: 12p–11p (12p–10p)
    T: 12p–11p (12p–10p)
    W: 12p–12a (12p–10p)
    Th: 12p–12a (12p–10p)
    F: 12p–1a (12p–11p)
    Sa: 12p–1a (12p-11p)
    Su 12p–11p (12p–10p)

General Store:

HOURS:
    M: 11a–9p
    T: 11a–9p
    W: 11a–9p
    Th: 11a–9p
    F: 11a–9p
    Sa: 11a–9p
    Su 11a–9p

General Store Can/Bottle Inventory

Growler Filling Policy: "Please feel free to fill as many growlers as you would like. In Pennsylvania, each transaction must be limited to 192 fluid ounces. This means that upon receipt, if you would like to purchase more than 192 fluid ounces of our beer, you must leave the premises and then return to pick up additional beer (and then repeat the cycle if you’d like any more beer!).

We will also be opening up for 64 oz growler fills on MOST ALL BEERS. There will, of course, continue to be a few beers that we will not do any growler fills of (one-off kegs, anniversary beers, etc.), but this should be a rare occurrence.

We will continue to fill our branded glassware only, as we are STILL exceedingly proud to put our name on our Strange & Beautiful beer. If this is a very big issue for you, we will be happy to let you “trade-in” any growler for one of ours. Sound good?"

Growler fill Prices
    64 oz:
    $20.00
    32 oz: $10.50
    Glass: $5.00

(prices vary occasionally for higher gravity / limited quantity beers)

The Cafe is now selling 32oz crowlers.

2. LuckyOneSix

Trader

Looks like they're finally canning Necto Cooler!

NickCaff likes this.
  3. makalarch

makalarch Aspirant (218) Jul 31, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

CSA Week 1: Fuzzy Green
    CSA Week 2: Pineal
    CSA Week 3: D2H3: Motueka
    CSA Week 4: Raspberry Green Tea Milkshake
    CSA Week 5: Trendler Pilsner
    CSA Week 6: High Road
    CSA Week 7: Feliz Vendedor
    CSA Week 8: Technicolor Splendor
    CSA Week 9: Helles Other People
    CSA Week 10: Alien Church???

That wasn't a release this week?
    Will not do this again next summer, I'll post a breakdown when I get home. Not worth the price imo.

Kadonny, ericu1219 and NickCaff like this.
  4. ericu1219

ericu1219 Initiate (19) Jun 6, 2017 Pennsylvania

This was my first year in the CSA. Aside from the beer choices, the produce quantity and quality was very disappointing as well. I would never recommend this CSA to anyone

JackHorzempa likes this.
  5. makalarch

Trader

I started writing a long, drawn out complaint but negativity is a prison so all I'll say is this, out of the $750 spent only $181 was spent on beer and while the cheese is fantastic the produce was not great.

Jacobier10 likes this.
  6. Adrena1ine

Adrena1ine Aspirant (213) Nov 22, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Actually looking forward to this one.

LuckyOneSix likes this.
  7. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,086) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

How many items did you get each week?

My wife and I were members of a vegetable CSA last year at a local farm (not officially organic but Certified Naturally Grown) here in Harleysville and it was 24 weeks long, $795 for a large share (10 items/week) and $425 for a small share (6 items/week). We had a small share and it was a lot for two people - each "item" was typically enough to cook as the main component of a dinner for 2 people (not just as a side).

I see the Tired Hands's CSA was billed as being heavy on tomatoes for the veggie portion. I can say from my home garden that this year was shit for heirloom tomato growing- way too rainy. Our harvest was tiny compared to most years.

As for fruit growing this year - again just personal experience from my yard I can say the weather messed up early crops such as strawberries and cherries, but the wet August gave us a bumper crop of plums and peaches. I see the Orchard that Tired Hands was using is from Adams County - they haven't been effected by Spotted Lantern Fly yet so that's not a factor.

FatBoyGotSwagger and Kadonny like this.
  8. makalarch

Trader

I completely get that the csa is going to be different for the produce year to year but when this was brought up the rep from Tired Hands "I don't handle the farmer part of this" but would have been nice to throw a couple things our way to make up the difference in quality and quantity. He mentioned that "most people" sign up for this because of the farmers, not Tired Hands or the beer when he was wondering why I was asking him why we weren't getting any new selections week to week. Also unfortunately it was mostly the same week to week, so many peppers and now the past three weeks or so it has been apples which we pick our own in the fall and was hoping for more summer season produce.

This was a typical week:

Happy Cat Farm:
    Radishes
    Roasting peppers
    Kale
    Shishitos
    Tomatoes
    Tomatillos

Three Springs:
    Yellow freestone peaches
    White donut peaches

Cheese:
    Birchrun Hills Farm: Red Cat
    Valley Milkhouse: Lady Slipper

9. Nadtla

Nadtla Initiate (75) Oct 14, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

10. makalarch

Trader

Also in regards to that NectoCooler, had Science Experiment XI on tap while I picked up the csa last night and that had a ton of citrus, I assume from the yuzu etc than anything to do with the algae. There was enough going on to mask anything that the Spirulina would provide so enjoy the nutrients, and childhood memories!

11. makalarch

Trader

And one last thing, I wrote up above that the Alien Church was the 10th week beer for the csa, I checked the cans cause I was curious since it wasn't a release this past week and it's this week's batch canned on 8/30.

NodEast likes this.
  12. jmdrpi

Based on the advertisement from Tired Hands, seems like the Happy Cat Farm probably just didn't grow much variety. That CSA we did, every week they usually had 15+ different things, you then picked the 6 that you wanted a couple days before pickup (you selected your choices through their website, first come first serve). So you could pick different stuff every week even if the overall list didn't change until new crops were available as the growing season progressed.

~$550 for the non-beer for 10 weeks does seem quite steep, although I guess it depends on much cheese and fruit you got.

13. Pldevo

Pldevo Initiate (47) Jul 25, 2015 Texas

Heading to Philly in a few weeks for work and I was hoping to get some clarification on the different TH locations...

This is what I was able to gather from their website:

Cafe - Taps/growlers and lighter fare/charcuterie/cheese
    Fermentaria - Taps/growlers and a larger menu selection for food
    General Store - Cans/Bottles to-go and other merch

The biggest question I have is do they only sell cans/bottles to-go out of the general store, or will these be available at the other locations as well? Is this where the weekly can release takes place?

I’m more interested in their saison/farmhouse bottles, but how long do cans typically last?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

14. makalarch

Trader

You have the initial part correct. Weekly releases are sold out of the Fermentaria with other bottles and cans sold out of the General Store. Cans these days have been last for a couple of days depending on the brand. If you are mainly interested in the bottles then the General Store is the spot for you. Also they crowler out of the cafe.

15. Pldevo

Pldevo Initiate (47) Jul 25, 2015 Texas

Perfect!

Thanks for the quick reply.

makalarch likes this.
  16. jacincm

jacincm Initiate (28) Mar 29, 2018 Pennsylvania

Al's of Hampden/Pizza Boy has been getting a ton of Tired Hands in. In the last month alone they had multiple kegs of Extra Extra Knuckle, multiple kegs of Alien Church, Pineal, Technicolor Splendor, Rustic Pentagram, Metaphor Church. And it looks like they just tapped Oblivex: Retrospective which is very surprising considering that was an anniversary celebration beer. Hope this is here to stay so I don't have to wait to go to back home to Ardmore to get my fix.

Wondering if any other places that carries Tired Hands has just been getting a large influx of a variety of kegs

17. Chroma914

Chroma914 Initiate (85) Oct 13, 2006 Pennsylvania

I hate to be that guy, and I wouldn't care if it was a non IPA can, but selling 6 day old IPA cans as a new release is crazy. If it's canned, why hold off selling it when they say these beers should be enjoyed fresh?

18. Nadtla

Nadtla Initiate (75) Oct 14, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Half the people who open the cans are going to say they need a week anyway.

dagimp and NickCaff like this.
  19. Chroma914

I can agree with that when it’s a shake or some new culinary IPA, but a staple like AC? Cmon.

Kadonny likes this.
  20. jacincm

6 days is nothing, we've been spoiled by these brewery only releases.

I remember when a month was considered fresh whenever I would find something from Troegs or Victory.

ECdOc, Kadonny and dawkins20 like this.
  21. breslinp

breslinp Initiate (56) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania

I assume they think it's in their best interest to only release cans on a single day at a specified time. Has any real marketing research been done on hyped can releases?

I know if you put a limit on a product, the consumer is more likely to purchase more than they would without a limit. I don't know much about these hyped release days to say if it drives more business. I would think they still sell out cans if they just put it on the shelves without the hype... If priced right.

22. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (450) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

People have been complaining ever since these can releases started that Tired Hands is releasing beer that isn't ready, that they shouldn't sell cans that need to sit a few days before they are ready to drink. It's not exactly a secret that these beers reach optimal flavor anywhere from 1-3 weeks after canning.

It's not "crazy" at all. It makes perfect sense. It helps them manage their logstics and puts out a product that is 100% ready for same-day consumption.

rozzom, JayORear, jonphisher and 2 others like this.
  23. Chroma914

Has there been complaints over the last 2 months that cans of AC have been green/too green? Granted, I happen to see that for every one off culinary IPA and shake release, but a bi weekly staple like AC? Can't say I've seen it, and personally speaking, I can't recall a time where I bought cans of AC prior to the canning issues of June and thought to myself, 'wow, this needs a week'.

Adrena1ine likes this.
  24. jacincm

I can't believe you're really complaining about 6 days after canning....

rozzom, jonphisher, ECdOc and 2 others like this.
  25. Adrena1ine

Adrena1ine Aspirant (213) Nov 22, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Was the canning/release discrepancy found prior to the anniversary party or no?

26. Chroma914

Yeah, me neither, but I have had pours from AC cans canned the same day and they tasted leagues better than week old AC cans.

27. kdb150

There is no way the freshness window on these beers is less than a week. Come on now.

jonphisher likes this.
  28. Chroma914

For a NEIPA style beer? Absolutely there is a flavor change based upon freshness in that period of time.

29. jmdrpi

What if instead of being canned 6 days prior to a can release day, that same beer spent an extra 6 days in a bright tank until being packaged? You wouldn't even know it.

Unless you know that Tired Hands always cans a particular brand of beer X days after brewing, fermentation, conditioning, etc. (they might not, since they stick to set release days), it seems pointless to argue about a timeline of a few days.

kdb150, OGShotzy and pmarlowe like this.
  30. kdb150

Looks like very few people cared.

Chroma914 likes this.
  31. c64person

c64person Disciple (393) Mar 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

Anyone know if there is any Alien Church or NectoCooler cans left? Thinking of heading over there after my conference today. Cheers!

32. LuckyOneSix

Trader

That's because it wasn't called NectoCoolerMilkshake

NodEast, NickCaff and Nadtla like this.
  33. makalarch

Trader

Yup, can find all of that on the site now under the Ferm tab there is a section for cans. There is a lot left.

34. c64person

Trader

Sweet, thanks, likely will stop up there this afternoon to get some then. :grinning:

35. jacincm

Anybody get a chance to crack the Necto? Any good?

36. kdb150

They had about half the release left at open this morning, and so far today have sold very little of the leftovers. You should be fine.

Easy releases might be the new normal after all.

Kadonny and NodEast like this.
  37. c64person

Trader

Yeah, plenty of leftovers, and it wasn't too busy when I stopped by, overall an enjoyable experience as always.

38. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,300) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania

Picked up a few Refreshings, love that beer and one Necto Cooler. AC sold out just after I left but there was plenty of the other two left.

NodEast likes this.
  39. NickCaff

NickCaff Initiate (196) Apr 9, 2009 Pennsylvania

Pretty solid release tomorrow.

40. Chroma914

Anyone else think the last batch of Punge was hot garbage? Could barely finish half a can.