To hell with it...I like ALL IPAs!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, May 10, 2020.

1. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (997) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I think most BA's enjoy all kind of IPA. They don't seem to be able to not rank them.

2. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (2,940) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

I was just about ready to go off on another IPA tangent about how I love East Coast IPA’s, but I figured keeping it here makes more sense.

I remember when I first had an East Coast IPA way back in the day - when I was really getting into the craft game. Anyway, let’s just say that my review was not favorable, and that the Raul man is even somewhat embarrassed by it now!

That being said, as my palate has now refined, I love a good copper and malty East Coast IPA every now and then just to keep things fresh. Right now I am drinking 4 Giants by Founder’s (not their best in my opinion, but still good) and I am perfectly content.

West Coast. East Coast. New England. Lebanon IPA... Bring them on!

eppCOS and thesherrybomber like this.
  3. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (106) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

I remember back when there was a distinction made between east coast and west coast IPA. Now any IPA that isn't New England style is just labeled "west coast IPA." If anything most of the "west coast IPA" I've seen from breweries who usually focus on NEIPA seem more like the maltier east coast IPA than the predominantly piney/grapefruity west coast IPA.

4. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (63) May 15, 2018 Virginia

Bourbon drinkers are far worse when is comes to being douchey.

5. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (324) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

Would like to someday, if we get to travel again. It should be served on cask, of course.

JayORear likes this.
  6. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,401) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I’m drinking so few ipas right now that any decent Pils fills my quest for hops. It’s kinds my new norm that the primary hoppy beers I drink are Pils, then highly drinkable lagers. I still love a great ipa I just skip the ones that are just so so.

ESHBG likes this.
  7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,486) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Have you tried the new lager from Victory yet: Victory Classic Lager?

I recently purchased a 15 pack at my local Wegmans for 20 bucks. This beer is excellent IMO and 20 bucks for 15 craft brewed beers is a great deal from my perspective.

Cheers!

ESHBG, nc41 and dukeandduke like this.
  8. bret27

bret27 Crusader (743) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

I really want to try an Indian IPA!

RaulMondesi likes this.
  9. nc41

Society Trader

No, the only Victory we get are the Monkey stuff. The Copper Alt is out of stock too, that’s what I was looking for today.

InvictorJay likes this.
  10. InvictorJay

InvictorJay Initiate (47) Jan 29, 2017 New Hampshire

I'm with you, RaulMondesi. I also dig many styles of IPA if they're quality. Visited Hill Famstead last summer and was blown away their available brews, including Edward, but then drove home to New Hampshire and since then, have enjoyed many other great IPAs. I don't have an IPA "style" that I favor, although the Foley Brothers' Triple Maiden triple IPA I'm sipping at the moment is tremendous.

But tomorrow I'll sip a Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA, a more traditional, local IPA and love it as well. Hazy Little Thing, Two Hearted Ale, Jai Alai, all those are good, and often fantastically excellent with plant-based meals I make.

I often think I'm weird for not having a favorite IPA style. But I can't help it. Quality is the only thing that matters for me.

nc41, JayORear and bret27 like this.
  11. nc41

Society Trader

I agree I can be all over the place as well, depends on my mood.