1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

To love something you must spend time with it

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Feb 5, 2019.

1. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (1,767) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

I think Pliny is my favorite beer - not simply because I believe in its greatness, but it’s also because it is so readily available to me and that I “spend time with it.” Over time I have been allowed to really see this beer for what it is to me - the most perfect, smooth, bitter West Coast IPA around. And the reason I have come to that conclusion is because I am afforded the ability to drink it over and over again. I liked Heady the first time I had it, but I didn’t start loving it until we got some local drops out here and I was able to enjoy it more on a regular basis. So, it makes me wonder, can your favorite beer be a “one and done”? Or does it have to be one that you have spent time with?

Cheers

beergoot, Roguer, GreenBayBA and 16 others like this.
  2. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,736) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Love Pliny, wish I had a home beer I felt so strongly about. But Im all over the place. If I lived I Vt I’d easily match your Pliny to a Heady. Great beers I have access to, iconic beers not so much.

dennis3951 and RaulMondesi like this.
  3. zid

zid Savant (979) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Your favorite beer could be a one-time event, but your relationship will be built on a much shakier foundation.

Roguer, Premo88, pat61 and 8 others like this.
  4. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,084) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

If I had to pick a favorite, I'd probably go with Zombie Dust. It's everything I like in a beer, and it never disappoints. The only time I can get it, however, is when I travel back to Ohio, and sometimes not even then. I'm always excited to find it, and I guess that's at least part of what makes it special.

5. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Aspirant (263) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

Its funny, here I am lamenting that I don't have the access to Pliny that OP has, but I can get fresh Zombie Dust any time.

I can agree with your sentiment here. Im most excited by seasonal releases. When you cant get something all the time, it makes when you can special. I dont think I could have a favorite, but beers like SN Celebration come to mind.

dcotom and dennis3951 like this.
  6. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (3,421) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Society

I think your favorite beer is a beer you've had multiple times, at different times in your beer journey, and at different events. My all time favorite is Alesmith IPA, easily the beer I've spent the most money on. It's a beer I've had from bombers, cans and on tap. I've had it in San Diego, New York and Sweden. I've had it by myself, with my best friend, with my mother and with my bonus sister and her husband while playing UNO in San Diego. I've had it fresh, and I've had it old. It's a beer I will buy any time I come across it, and I love it as much now as when it first blew me away more than ten years ago.

7. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (876) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Someone's favorite beer should be one they have readily available. Otherwise it's like living in NJ and having a girl/boy friend who lives in Japan.

ManBearPat, RaulMondesi and Junior like this.
  8. zid

Trader

Speaking from experience? :wink:

dennis3951 likes this.
  9. Donco

Donco Devotee (442) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

This thread is a version of "What beer has never let you down when drinking it?" Giving it thought, I'd say it's one I never would have expected: Stone Woot Stout (not a fan of '18 but all those prior).

GreenBayBA and NeroFiddled like this.
  10. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,344) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Pliny is at the top of my list too even though Two Hearted, which beat Pliny in a homebrewers association as being the best beer in the US. I love Two Hearted too, but I don't drink it very often even though it is readily available and fresh to me. I get to drink Pliny only every couple years or so when I visit CA, so I have no close relationship with it. Maybe absence makes the heart grow fonder?

11. nc41

Trader

I don’t have a favorite beer that’s local or always available, I rotate like crazy to keep things fresh. If I lived in Vt Heady would be it. Cali, Pliny would be it, MI, probably Abrasive in season or Furious. Chicago ZD. Boston, Trillium of some flavor. These are probably my list of beer that I love the most. There’s beers that are primarily locked to Charlotte that imo are world class beers, Routine Culture and Heist make great NEIPAS, but a beer run is a 4 hr round trip not counting hanging out having a few beers. I like Bells Two Hearted but Centennial hops sometimes turn me off. The orange hit sometimes wears on me, it’s certinly not an oj bomb just a characteristic of the hop.

12. DVMin98

DVMin98 Site Editor (2,825) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I know this sounds bad, but Pacifico. I grew up with it in my days in San Diego in the 80s as an 18 year old heading to Tijuana on the weekends. Now I drink it on the regular as my go-to, no frills, don't want any adjuncts, gonna just hang out and grill some carne asada, beer. So light and refreshing and perfect with a lime.

13. thuey

thuey Aspirant (254) Nov 13, 2015 California

I might say that about Younger. I've only had it 4x over two years (and not recently) but I felt it was pretty consistent and confirmed that it's the only TIPA I enjoy and find "drinkable". Wish it were more accessible, as I'm not willing to chase / wait in line for it.

The last few times I've had Elder, I've not really been impressed (but it's a solid beer and super available, since I'm a NorCal'er.)

Heady Topper is just gross though. Vermont can keep it. <3

14. zid

Trader

We've finally reached the full 180 regarding the term adjuncts. :wink:

"Pacifico contains Filtered Water, Yeast, Malted Barley, Corn, and Hops."

15. zid

Trader

Alternate title to the thread:
    "To love something you must play Uno with it."

JamFuel likes this.
  16. JamFuel

Society

UNO makes everything better, like bacon!

17. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,524) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Haha, all the OG Phish fans have a different understanding of Uno than do the rest here.

Re: OP- My main love is ability to try so many different takes on so many styles. But in thinking about things for the last eight months or so I can see my beer that I have spent much time with, and grown to appreciate even more by this familiarity, is Wrench, by Industrial Arts. Drinking one now.

Jacobier10, ManBearPat and JamFuel like this.
  18. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (876) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

My "favorite" beer is SNPA so I can get it just about anywhere. Rarely get it when I'm away though. Always try to drink the locals.

19. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,295) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

For me picking out a favorite beer is nearly impossible - there are too many good beers to choose from. There are a bunch of great beers I would be happy with on any occasion.

dennis3951 likes this.
  20. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (126) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

Sometimes my SO and I get sick of certain aspects of life in the Great Lakes region and we are both on record making plenty of threatening comments about uprooting and moving out west. An honest fear I have is that if we ever made it out to Washington or Oregon I would immediately have an insatiable craving for all the New Glarus beers I walk past on a weekly basis. It's like a curse. Funny the way the mind plays these tricks and it makes me wonder how much of an effect it has on flavor and enjoyment when you do finally have the beloved special drink after a wild goose chase.

PapaGoose03, Maestro0708 and nc41 like this.
  21. nc41

Trader

NG beers are outstanding, your lucky if even a bit bored because they’re always around. I can’t think of an always around beer here that even remotely hits that quality level.

22. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (179) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Honestly some of my favorite beer experiences are the rare moments where I get the opportunity to try something I can rarely, if ever have. I understand your premise, but at least in my personal experience it doesn't typically work that way.

beergoot, Amendm and BrewmanCapote like this.
  23. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Disciple (362) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont
    Society

While not my all time favorite, Fiddlehead IPA is a rarity in that's it's available everywhere locally for on-premise consumption, but if you want it at home you'll need to purchase a keg or get a growler fill at the brewery. Because of that I associate it with very good times out-and-about (bowling alley with pals, dinner with the family, during the occasional lunch hour with my brother) but because I can't it buy the 4 pack or case it remains special and never played out. I'd say I order a Fiddlehead about 50% of the time I go out for a beer, which is a testament to it's quality and the good time I've spent with the Shelburne IPA over the years.

24. beer_beer

beer_beer Aspirant (217) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

Lück Pils. Had it once decades ago.

In my NA era "the love" is still not decided. Maybe it lies ahead?

25. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (540) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

Never mind UNO, I want to know what a "bonus sister" is. :confused:

26. zid

Trader

That's something you can win in Uno.

sharpski, stevepat and JamFuel like this.
  27. JimboBrews54

JimboBrews54 Disciple (313) Apr 22, 2018 Michigan
    Trader

Under the kilt by Dragonmead, regular or BBA, enough said!

28. JamFuel

Society

In my case, it’s my godmother’s daughter, who was like another big sister to me growing up...

SudsDoctor likes this.
  29. JamFuel

Society

The only thing you can win in Uno is the scorn and disdain of your fellow players!

zid likes this.
  30. Amendm

Amendm Devotee (457) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

If your favorite beer is a "one and done" than you might spend the rest of your beer drinking career searching in vain for a new favorite.
    I have Be Hoppy by Wormtown as my favorite, accessible and inexpensive.

Keep your friends close.

31. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (1,801) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

You have to spend quality time, my brother. I didn't love Elisha Cuthbert right away. She grew on me.

drtth, RaulMondesi and Amendm like this.
  32. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (1,801) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

A lot of folks get caught up in the experience. Cheers.

IPAExpert69 likes this.
  33. ForbesyTVB

ForbesyTVB Initiate (43) Feb 20, 2013 New York

I love this so much

JamFuel likes this.
  34. warrendietrich2001

warrendietrich2001 Defender (628) Feb 13, 2013 Nevada
    Society Trader

My true love is also Pliny but I also love my dog so I named her Pliny problem solved. When I am not sure what to wear I grab my Pliny t-shirt. So many beer glasses but I always go my Pliny glass. Truly Pliny is all anyone needs.

JayORear, JamFuel and PapaGoose03 like this.
  35. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (410) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

I’ve been “seeing” Edward since 2011. Have had him all over VT...and he’s been to my house on tap on several very special occasions over the years. He’s changed a bit over time — had a rough patch in 2014-15 — let’s just say it was growing pains — but is now in his prime - available all over the place north of Quechee. Low abv and bursting w citrus aroma and flavor — he’s a guys best friend at the start of the drinking day...and the end. Love Edward. Special thanks to @PhilSaid for feeding my jones over the years...

36. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,047) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Ninja vs unicorn is that beer for me. When I want a lesser abv it is daisy cutter, but it took me a while longer to really appreciate daisy cutter than ninja.

37. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (691) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Can’t say I have a favorite beer.

Alesmith IPA is close but cost and availability knock it out

Pliny is great but cost and having to go to a bar to drink it knock it out

I really like the new SN Resistance but it’s one and done. Celebration was very good this season but it’s a seasonal.

I was in love with Columbus IPA years ago but it changed , not to the better.

Fear of a Brett planet was my go to but last I saw it was over $40 a case and I have not seen it in over a year.

Maybe Bells best brown?

A good east coast IPA?

Need to revisit finest kind if it’s still made.

Enjoy

JamFuel likes this.
  38. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (691) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Just read your post.

I too love AleSmith IPA

I have only had it once when I bought a case that was just about expired. It was only $30 though and if it was this good on the old side sitting on the floor at the beer guy I can only imagine how good it would be fresh and tapped.

With out bring old and on sale I can’t pay up to $60 a case. Have not seen this beer recently.

Can’t say I’ve had a bad beer from these guys. The Tony Gwynn PA was a really nice beer too.

Enjoy

39. JamFuel

Society

Everything I've had by Alesmith has been at least very good. I also love that it seems like owner Peter Zien is a genuinely great guy.

40. Roguer

Roguer Site Editor (3,991) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

Interesting take.

PTE is the only beer I have ever given a perfect 5.0 (out of 2127 and counting ..... ), and that was the first time I had it. When fresh, it has never let me down; I can't improve upon it in any way.

However, it's not my favorite beer, and I think your point about availability may have some merit there. I would argue I prefer to drink Heady, for example, but it used to be easy for me to grab a case (well, relatively; it was a five hour drive each way). Prairie Bomb! used to be my absolute favorite beer, but that was back when I had to trade for it - still, I consumed quite a bit of it, so the familiarity argument still holds up.

So I guess I would say it's pretty unlikely that your favorite beer could be a one-and-done. That's like hearing one song once, but never again, and proclaiming it your favorite. It might be the best, but ..... how could something be your favorite if you never revisit it again?

Have you watched Speed recently? I have to warn you, I've heard relationships based on intense experiences never work. :stuck_out_tongue: