Todd Mot's Beer School - Nov 5

Discussion in 'New England' started by lordofthewiens, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (3,711) Sep 17, 2005 Maine
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Todd Mot is doing a beer school at When Pigs Fly in Kittery on Tuesday November 5th. For $15 you get four beers of Todd's choosing, some food, and Todd talking about beer. I think it will be a great time.

hiphopipa, Kelp, Pahn and 1 other person like this.
  2. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,449) Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

ack, wish i could make it. crazy value.

3. hiphopipa

hiphopipa Aspirant (209) Jul 19, 2008 Maine
    Beer Trader

Sweet, might make the trip down. Thanks for posting,

4. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (231) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Dang - will just miss it! Am coming over for the second half of Portland Beer Week on the 6th. Tod's a great comic, and a great brewer!

5. Pwbres

Pwbres Aspirant (291) Mar 25, 2013 Maine
    Beer Trader

Got tickets yesterday. Heard it was a family style dinner with a ticket for a 1/2 off a 20oz beer along with some tastings.

6. drocpsu

drocpsu Initiate (195) Dec 25, 2006 New Hampshire

Tomorrow night?? Crap, wish I could make it to this. Sounds cool.

7. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (231) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Anyone go to this who can report about it?

8. Pwbres

Beer Trader

I can give a rundown tomorrow of how it went and what to expect.

Pahn and duchessedubourg like this.
  9. Pwbres

Beer Trader

Rundown: Family styler dinner with about 8 people per table. Menus were given with the beers being served along with food. I forgot to grab a the beer list but from what I can remember it was, in order: Andechs Hell (Germany), Het Nest King of Hearts /Blond & Bitter (Belgium), Saint - Germain/ Nogne o Rhub'IPA (France), Marshall Wharf Phil Brown Ale (Maine), Pretty Things Babayaga (Massachusetts) and Victory Red Thunder ( Pennsylvania). This was served with friend chicken tenders and various dipping sauces, onion rings and house pickles. Todd talked about each beer before they were served but he didn't really say much besides that, which was a bit disappointing. I would have liked to hear him talk about future plans for his brewery or even go into more detail about what he thought about each beer or even random stories. My girlfriend and I were lucky enough to sit with the owner of Blue Lobster Brewery and a coworker of his. Very nice guys. We had some great conversations which made the experience a blast. I'll definitely do it again next month. Worth the price of admission.

colbyguy and Pahn like this.
  10. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (3,711) Sep 17, 2005 Maine
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I would second everything Pwbres said. The beers were very good, as was the food. Todd gave a little talk about each beer. I was there early and got to speak with him before the event began. He's great to talk to. His brewery is moving ahead, although he said it will be at least six months before there's beer to drink.
    When Pigs Fly sold out beer school; there were 100 people there. I sat with a great bunch of people. One of them worked with Todd at The Portsmouth Brewery.
    The price of admission was $15 dollars, and it was beyond a bargain. Looking forward to the next one. Todd said he'd be back.

11. colbyguy

colbyguy Initiate (136) Jan 15, 2012 Maine

This was my second beer school. Enjoyed the first back in the Spring when Tom from WPF was the host. Thought his comments on beer styles, pairings, etc. was very informative. For $15 you can't go wrong with food and 6 different beers to taste. The event was a sell out and I believe there were also people connected to Earth Eagle and Throwback at the dinner. Next one is scheduled for December 3rd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.