Too Much Time On BA 6.0 - Cash Cab!

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Beerontwowheels, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2009 Maryland

TMTOBA 6 – Cash Cab Edition (BIF/LIF)

[​IMG]
    It’s time for Too Much Time On Beer Advocate, Part 6!

This is the sixth in the well-known series, "Most Awesome Threads on BA". I’d like to take a moment to thank our previous hosts Dfclav, Nosignsofpain/ehammond1, johnhenryconway, celticfutblclub and abraxel. Brees6221 and I will do our best to make this round as exhausting/time consuming as possible, but rewarding, all the same.

Read through all the rules. If you’ve seen Cash Cab – you probably have a pretty good handle on how things are going to go.

Only sign up if you can:

·commit to spending way too much time on BA, including being online at 9:30pm EDT on weekday evenings (dates: 8/13 – 8/24, as needed); and
    ·send a box containing at least 36 oz of good beer to one of the winners if you lose. This is open to the lower 48 (sorry); and
    ·host TMTOBA7 in the event you win.

1st place wins: My box + 7 Boxes (from 4th - 10th place)
    2nd place wins: 5 boxes (from 11th - 15th place)
    3rd place wins: 3 boxes (from 16th + 18th place)

I’m beginning to piece together my box and I'll do my best to tailor it to the winner's taste. I just took a road trip to Vermont, so it’s possiblethat some Heady, Hill Farmstead and Lawson’s stuff makes it in the box. The rest of the box will be rounded out with Mid-Atlantic locals, Bruery RS stuff, and some barrel aged good-stuff.
    Set Up:
    ·Thefirst 18 people to sign up in this thread are in, and I will randomly assign you to six teams of three. If fewer than 18 people sign-up, teams will be distributed as evenly as possible.
    ·Once the teams are full, ‘Beth’ (aka Brees6221) and I will start a conversation with each team, where you should conduct all your private team deliberations.
    ·Your first task will be choosing a team name – and a spokesperson (i.e. the person who will provide the final answer in the thread). Only the spokesperson can answer for the team during the ‘Main Game’. In the event a team’s spokesperson is not available to play, a substitute will be allowed.

The “Main Game”

·Our Chicago host Beth (played by Brees6221) and I will be taking all teams on a 10 day ride visiting various breweries/areas of the country.
    ·During this ‘ride’ we will post trivia style questions that will contain 4 multiple choice options for you to choose from. Only one of the four options will be the correct answer.
    ·Main game questions will generally be un-Googleable. Similar to TMTOBA - 5 - Double Dare, some questions may include pictures or videos as part of the question.
    ·Each team will have up to 5 minutes to answer each question. A ‘time’s up’ message will be posted when the 5 minutes has elapsed. Any team who has not answered the question will receive a strike.
    ·As the game progresses, the point value of each question will increase. Questions will start at 25 points a piece, and gradually increase to 50 and then 100 a piece.
    ·Three incorrect main game answers and your team is booted from the cab (game over - start hitchhiking home!).
    ·At the end of the main game, the two teams with the highest point total will embark on an extended ride, where the remaining players will duke it out individually to see who wins the grand prize.
    ·In true Cash Cab form, the 1st place winner will have the option to risk it all* on a ‘double or nothing’ bonus question. Answer the bonus question incorrectly and you forfeit the box from yours truly (*You would still be due boxes from 4th – 10th place finishers). Answer the bonus question correctly, however, and the ‘grand prize’ doubles in bottle count (I will guarantee at least 100 ounces to the winner if they choose not to go for the ‘double or nothing’ bonus questions; 200 ounces if the ‘double or nothing’ question is answered correctly).

Red Light Challenges – 200 points

These questions will be posted sporadically throughout the week. An incorrect answer will not count as a ‘strike’ against the team. These ‘Red Light Challenges’ will require your team to submit one consolidated answer that meets the requirements of the question. The first correct submission wins. Anyone one on the team can answer, not only the spokesperson. Only one answer per team! No time limit!

A sample question would be:
    Name 6 breweries located in Florida

A correct answer would include 6 breweries and look like this:
    Swamp Head
    CCB
    Peg’s Cantina
    Little Giant
    Saint Somewhere
    Seventh Sun

2. trxxpaxxs

trxxpaxxs Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2010 New York

No! No! Nooooooooooooooo!!! Forget it!!! Not in!!

3. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

This sounds like a grand old time. Mind if I join in on the fun?

4. Beerontwowheels

I would be honored!

5. libbey

libbey Initiate (0) May 18, 2008 British Indian Ocean Territory

6. hmph

hmph Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2011 Virginia

7. Beerontwowheels

Indeed!

8. Beerontwowheels

So far we have:

yamar68
    libbey (?)
    hmph

15 slots to go!

9. FishPondManager

FishPondManager Aspirant (259) Feb 28, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

TMTOBA.....yes please.

10. baconsausage

baconsausage Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2010 Vermont

yes, please dont count me in on this. good luck fuckbags :wink:

11. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2012 Illinois

I think I'd be minus one fiancee if I committed to this...but if a team ever needs a sub for a night, I'd be delighted to join in the fun or if not, just heckle as much as possible.

12. libbey

libbey Initiate (0) May 18, 2008 British Indian Ocean Territory

I'll be lurking but not playing this round good luck fellas!

13. Beerontwowheels

I'm getting married a month from friday. I'm risking it too man!

14. Beerontwowheels

In:

Yamar68
    Hmph
    Fishpondmanager

Note: Looking for at least twelve players otherwise postponing until after my wedding.

15. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Disciple (393) May 6, 2010 Minnesota

I will be flat on my back for a good couple of weeks, looks like I can do it. May I join please?

16. Beerontwowheels

Permission granted. Of course you can!

17. abraxel

abraxel Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2009 Michigan

I don't think I'll be able to join, but I'll be watching intently and will jump in to heckle every now and then :wink:

18. Beerontwowheels

Looks like the old guard of TMTOBA just can't hang anymore. What a sad, sad day.

19. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Thanks for keeping the tradition alive, and have fun everyone! But I'll sit out this go-round. Cheers, all!

20. Beerontwowheels

TMTOBA dies a slow death.

21. abraxel

In the early rounds no one knew what they were getting into... we need more fresh, clueless blood :wink:

22. Beerontwowheels

I'm pimping TMTOBA in the other LIF I'm doing. Trying to spread the word!

23. TheGordianKnot

TheGordianKnot Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2010 Tennessee

You forgot a rule:

-No penis shirt pictures or videos

24. FishPondManager

Trader

TMTOBA is literally the most fun you can have on the internet. If anyone is on the fence, just go back and look at the last few rounds.

25. Beerontwowheels

Not only do I agree with this, but so do my hauls. If you need better reason to sign up than to hang with a fun group of people, just imagine all the beer you could win. I had boxes showing up for weeks!

26. notjustgc

notjustgc Initiate (53) Nov 15, 2008 New Jersey

Man, this sounds like a ton of fun. My wife will kill me. Currently weighing pros and cons...

27. hmph

hmph Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2011 Virginia

[​IMG]

My wife and I just had twins...

28. FishPondManager

Trader

My wife is a crucial part of my strategy to win this round. Someone's gotta hold the camera.

29. RochesterAaron

RochesterAaron Initiate (0) May 24, 2007 New York

Same, she still mocks me for staying up all night during pschul4's TMTOBA 5.5

30. brees6221

brees6221 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2009 Western Sahara

Come one people, this is free beer (and damn good beer at that - did you see the last round's haul?!?!), all in exchange for your time. SIGN UP!!!!

31. martin123012

martin123012 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 New Jersey

i wish i would be able to the time, but once sept comes i around i know i got no chance,

shit it sucks go backing to school

32. notjustgc

I'm getting close to being convinced, except for the minor detail that I'll be on the road at 9:30PM on the first night of competition.

33. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

Problem solved! Welcome aboard!:grinning:

34. brees6221

brees6221 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2009 Western Sahara

Double problem solved. I missed the first night of round 5 and won 2nd place. I know this round has a different theme but it could happen, you never know!

35. abraxel

Looks like the first stage of this round is pure team competition, so missing a night early on shouldn't matter at all! (Except that you're letting down your team, of course)

notjustgc (and anyone else on the fence): Go for it! You'll have fun, I promise :slight_smile:

36. Beerontwowheels

This competition should be done before September begins. If that was holding you back, join in on the fun!

37. notjustgc

Alright fine, you can have your way with me. I'm in.

38. Beerontwowheels

In:

Yamar68
    FishPondManager
    Hmph
    Biglobo8971
    notjustgc

We need 7 more by Sunday 8PM EDT.

If any one needs some motivation to win 'free beer', the box I send will include at least 1 bottle from Hill Farmstead and at least 1 Goose Island barrel aged beer.

Don't pass this opportunity up!

39. martin123012

martin123012 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 New Jersey

i can do basically every night, excpet Thursdays so id probably be a drag for my time,

40. Beerontwowheels

Snag a couple of the red light challenges for your team during random hours of the week, and I doubt your team will mind you taking Thursday evenings off. This is supposed to be fun. Exhausting, but fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.