Top 10 Austin Breweries - Austin Chronicle

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Roadkizzle, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Initiate (189) Nov 6, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

2. mig100

mig100 Crusader (750) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

Real Ale and Austin Beerworks over JK haha

Gotta love that Coors --> Fireman conversion crowd

3. Roadkizzle

Beer Trader

I think the top 4 in that list are definitely the top tier in Austin (The top 4 in Texas I personally think).

Jester King would definitely be top choice for the people here... They have great farmhouse beers, and a great brewery grounds. But Austin Beerworks has a great variety for all sorts of drinkers, casual, extreme, hop-heads. Every one I've had is great.

I love Real Ale... Their Helles was absolutely delicious, Sisyphus was the beer that got me and my wife into barleywines, and their beers seem(ed) dated but they have definitely been refreshing their lineup. They do have a lot of history and competition with them is one of the reasons I believe Austin has really strong breweries.
    But I would personally put Real Ale right behind JK and ABW.

My top 4 would probably be ordered.
    1. Live Oak
    2-3. Austin Beerworks OR Jester King
    4. Real Ale

mig100 likes this.
  4. mig100

Beer Trader

Totally hear you on that. I love Real Ale. For me personally:

1. Live Oak
    2. Jester King
    3. Real Ale

What Jester King has done, pushing the beer envelope in TX/Austin/craft beer in general and even nationally, not to mention as a brewery experience... but I get more casual craft drinkers are reaching for Austin Beerworks and Real Ale staples.

5. saintcdc

saintcdc Initiate (123) Mar 8, 2016 Texas
    Beer Trader

With respect, when was the last time you were in Houston?

And Celis returns tomorrow! OK..OK...Admittedly, I suffer from good ole days syndrome...

6. Roadkizzle

Beer Trader

I first included an exception for Celis but they aren't fully operational yet and I have no idea if they are as good as I hope they are.

I was last in Houston the last two weekends in April. During that time my wife and I went to Yellow Rose distillery, Eureka Heights, Karbach, B-52, Southern Star, and Copperhead.

We bought a 6'er of Back Pew brewing's beers and a couple of Stesti.

I've not been a fan of No Label, or Brash, or Buffalo Bayou. I personally have always felt that Real Ale was a little better than Saint Arnold although it's a close call.

What brewery there is better than Live Oak, Real Ale, or Austin Beerworks?

Edit: I'll next be heading back sometime in July or August to visit my grandmother in-law. If there's a brewery we really need to check out I can work on that.

champ103 likes this.
  7. saintcdc

saintcdc Initiate (123) Mar 8, 2016 Texas
    Beer Trader

Subjective fodder for another thread perhaps. Suffice it to say, I prefer Saint Arnold and Brash as well as Lakewood from the DFDub to these, though admittedly, with limited distro to Houston, I don't get to enjoy ABW often, and I've not gotten out to their tap room. Next time in Austin for sure; it's on the short list...

When in Houston next, you should check off Saint Arnold's Beer Hall, Granddaddy of Texas craft and a fun place with good food as well. And Sigma is an up-and-comer with a taproom that's almost too nice...especially for EaDo

champ103 likes this.
  8. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (3,719) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

Mostly opinion, so neither @Roadkizzle or @saintcdc are wrong. Not disagreeing with the article, or either of you guys...except from the article, Blue Owl is pretty lack luster to say the least...though maybe they just had to have filler?

I don't know if I can put a ranking to any of these, but my favorites in Texas, not just Austin. Though agree Austin is the best city for beer in Texas by a long shot.

Live Oak
    Real Ale
    Saint Arnold
    Pint House
    Holler (pretty much brand new, and I have loved everything, they don't seem to get a lot of love on this site outside of me though, which is OK I guess)
    Austin Beer Works
    B52

I respect Jester King a lot, but just don't seem to enjoy them as much as others, even though I love their ideology and styles they make, they just mostly fall a bit short for me (though I have not had any Spon, and can see those changing my opinion quickly).

Roadkizzle likes this.
  9. mig100

Beer Trader

Uh oh, this thread got all Houstony

ElChuques and champ103 like this.
  10. Roadkizzle

Beer Trader

I really didn't care where the thread went. I thought that list was interesting and other people may like to see what this one source thought was the top 10 list.

I didn't really expect any responses, I didn't know if it was going to stay centered around Austin breweries or expand to breweries throughout Texas.

I agree that I haven't really cared much for Blue Owl... But I've only really had a beer of theirs a couple of times. I really want to try the Czech Czech to see if it's good.

I think Jester King's brewery grounds are really cool, and I really like their low abv beers (Commercial Suicide and Petite Prince), I really liked the 4 SPON bottles that I tried over Christmas, and I really enjoyed the Wytchmaker and Black Metal before the wild yeast overran everything. They make good farmhouse beers but I'm think they're overdone. They are hyped because people want to like them, not necessarily because everyone actually DOES like the beers.

I've also never had the opportunity to try St Elmo's or Friends & Allies.

Next time I go to Houston I'll work on getting to Holler before going up to Conroe for Saturday night.

11. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Disciple (352) Aug 16, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Stopped reading after he called Vermont brewers dipshits. As an English teacher this was a poorly written article from the start.

Maich and Can_has_beer like this.
  12. CommanderKeen

CommanderKeen Initiate (113) May 16, 2017 Texas

It's typical Austin snobbery/doucebaggery. You can't really expect not to bump into it whenever an Austinite is around. I blame the influx of Californians and the local university.

Maich likes this.
  13. mig100

Beer Trader

Lot of #jelly in this thread

14. CommanderKeen

Jelly of what? Homeless people and bad traffic? Austin sucks. Explain to me in detail what's so great about it.

Maich likes this.
  15. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Initiate (135) Feb 4, 2014 Texas

That escalated quickly.

16. mig100

Beer Trader

Calm down brah I was just kidding. There's no point in arguing about this here. Beer!

17. CommanderKeen

This is the internet. Only serious business occurs here.

18. ferz

ferz Initiate (107) May 10, 2017 Texas

No mention of Oasis? Weird. And why did they put Real Ale from Blanco into Austin category? Looks like a very arbitrary article.

19. Roadkizzle

Beer Trader

It is odd, but Real Ale has been lumped into the Austin area beers (Hill Country breweries) for as long as I've been drinking beer (since 2006 or so).

It appears to be basically equidistant from Austin and San Antonio but it's been claimed by Austin. I don't know if its because the brewery originally relied upon the Austin market to get successful or if the Hill Country is just more closely associated with Austin.

I don't know if Oasis would have been the next choice even if Real Ale wasn't considered an Austin brewery. The next three in their listing was Independence, Hi Sign, and Zilker.

I like Oasis but I think I'd personally put Uncle Billy's above them in the list (I'd personally put both before Independence as well.)

20. Maich

Maich Initiate (193) Oct 23, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

Can't agree with the way it was written, far too much negativity for something that should be relaxing, easy, and fun

21. Roadkizzle

Beer Trader

Other than the over-the-top bashing of Vermont and hazy IPA's in 2 of the 10 selections everything else seemed largely positive even when the modern IPA's are put as a positive for Pinthouse Pizza (although the article does start out by saying the legal atmosphere in Texas is difficult for breweries, that may be considered negative as well).

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.