Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Top 10 Baseball Stadiums for Craft Beer (Safeco ranked #1)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by BuckeyeOne, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

2. draheim

draheim Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Nice to be at the top of a beer-related list for once. Thank God Portland doesn't have an MLB team.

3. leedorham

leedorham Apr 27, 2006 Washington

The problem with Petco Park is once you get to San Diego you decide, much like most other San Diego residents, that you'd rather go do something other than go to a baseball game.

RedMedicine and checktherhyme like this.
  4. BuckeyeOne

Sunshine is overrated.

5. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

San Francisco's beer list is awesome. What Russian River beer do they have there?

What's the beer list like at Timbers games? I've seen people drinking Workhorse at Blazers games...

6. msubulldog25

msubulldog25 Aug 3, 2005 Oregon

As mentioned a few weeks ago, "Portland" will have the Hillsboro Hops starting in mid-June. Bridgeport is the beer sponsor, but the hope is that there will be (many) other locals on tap, too... ;)

draheim and BuckeyeOne like this.
  7. Torontoblue

Torontoblue Jun 12, 2005 Alberta (Canada)
    Subscriber

I'm off to Safeco in July to watch my beloved Red Sox. What is the best part of the ground to go with relation to view of the field, and also getting a good brew?

8. BuckeyeOne

What does 'best part of the ground' mean? I'm truly asking.

9. socon67

socon67 Jun 18, 2010 New York

This is a good list. Having been to 20 of the MLB ballparks and finding the craft beer at each one I have to agree with their rankings.

10. Torontoblue

Subscriber

Best places to view the game, and also which section of the ground has the best bar? Or, can you walk through the entire concourse inside the stadium?

11. BuckeyeOne

Safeco is built for baseball so all seats have a good view of the game --- it just depends upon how much money you want to spend and how close you want to be. I'm partial to the 100 level on the 3rd base line because it's close to the garlic fries, the Mariners Hall of Fame bar (which has the best selection of local NW beers), and the entrance/exit where I park my car.

You can walk around the entire concourse inside the stadium (except for the Terrace Club).

beertunes and Torontoblue like this.
  12. Torontoblue

Subscriber

100 Level, 3rd base it is then. Cheers.

13. distantmantra

Beer Trader

There also is a good beer stand on the 100 concourse out in center field.

Torontoblue likes this.
  14. flexabull

flexabull Mar 9, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

The Public House at the home plate entrance often has Blind Pig on tap.

No1Smitty likes this.
  15. beertunes

beertunes Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

You'll find good beer all over the park, no matter where you sit. What I often do is just buy the cheapest ticket, then walk a lap of the stadium, An inning here, move over a bit, another inning etc. The bar buy the M's HoF features nothing but PNW brews. Elysian Fields is about a 5 minute walk from the Left Field entrance, and worth hitting up pre or post game. Enjoy watching the Evil Empire Jr lost to our hapless M's!

Torontoblue likes this.
  16. podunkparte

podunkparte Nov 14, 2009 Washington

Wow, too bad we're about last in baseball stadiums for baseball :(

libbey, doughanson78 and fsck like this.
  17. NWer

NWer Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

Maybe because it's a park not a stadium. The Kingdome was a stadium. Baseball needs to be played in a park. I think it's pretty nice myself.

18. podunkparte

No, Safeco's great. What I meant was it may be the #1 stadium for craft beer, but if you want to go and see some quality baseball being played, it's not anywhere near the top.

NWer likes this.
  19. dirtylou

dirtylou May 12, 2005 Washington
    Beer Trader

F the timbers. Workhorse is on tap at safeco, as well....

libbey likes this.
  20. distantmantra

Beer Trader

Yep, I had Fremont Summer Ale and Workhorse at the last M's game I went to. I try not to think about the price.

21. NWer

Beer Trader

Shoulda guessed. Was surprised you made such a harsh comment about The Safe. It's because you didn't :)

22. beefandbean22

beefandbean22 Oct 15, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

I love Safeco's selection when it comes to craft beer, but after going to a Giants game last year, the Public House that is attached to AT&T Park absolutely kills it. Being able to get Sculpin, Victory at Sea, Blind Pig, and more for 6 or 7 bucks and being able to take it into the game was amazing.

No1Smitty and flexabull like this.
  23. NickThePyro

NickThePyro Dec 24, 2012 Washington

I am astonished that they only are charging $7 for these! Thats cheaper than Bud Light at some stadiums. Looks like I will be going to a lot more ball games this summer :cool:

24. digita7693

digita7693 Jan 19, 2010 Germany
    Beer Trader

Yeah its going to be fun, catch the Blue line to Hillsboro:)
    Pity they could have worked it out to be the Portland Hops and shared the stadium with the Timbers ;(

25. podunkparte

In San Francisco?

NickThePyro likes this.
  26. NickThePyro

NickThePyro Dec 24, 2012 Washington

Cinco De Drinko wins again o_O

27. Corbet

Corbet Nov 7, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Considering Comerica Park had Black Note AND KBS two weeks ago, it's no surprise they're on the list.

28. TacomaJustin

TacomaJustin Mar 3, 2013 Washington

Safeco might have a good craft beer selection but there is no way I'm paying $11.50 for a bomber of Elysian Immortal that I can get for $5 at the neighborhood grocery store.

You can call me cheap - I just hate knowing that I'm getting robbed when I buy something.

29. NWer

Beer Trader

So, "getting robbed" is paying more at a Mariner's game than at the neighborhood grocery store?
    You don't get out much, do you?
    I don't like the high prices either. They're a little over the top. But it's a choice.

30. BuckeyeOne

You're cheap.

31. draheim

draheim Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

I think BuckeyeOne might have intended his response for you. But I'll say it: You're cheap.

That said, I tend to agree with you. I'm cheap too. I've watched more baseball this season than most (on TV, drinking my $5 store-bought bombers), but going to an actual game is an extravagance I seldom afford myself these days. Sure, it's an experience and all, but when I know the $75 I have to drop to take my kid (who really couldn't care less about baseball) to Safeco mostly goes to obscene salaries for guys who are really good at hitting a ball with a big stick... well, I try not to overthink things, but suffice to say I can find a lot of things I'd rather spend $75 on.

And don't even get me started on Seahawks tickets, I'm totally priced out of that market.

32. distantmantra

Beer Trader

I drink before the game at Hooverville or Elysian and then have one beer (normally Fremont Summer Ale) at the stadium.

33. TacomaJustin

TacomaJustin Mar 3, 2013 Washington

I realize it's a choice. That's why I don't buy beer when I go to a game. I think most people would consider paying more than double for any product, beer or otherwise, a ripoff. I don't know that anything I said in my comment required the sarcastic comment in return though.

34. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Nov 7, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Although this thread is kinda old. I just wanted to point out that When I go to Giants games the publik House is the place to be. Blind Pig is on tap on the regular. I often pass it up though. The last few games I attended have hosted gems such as The Farmers reserve series # 4, Alesmith Speedway Stout, Ballast point one offs, Stone 15th anniversary, and Lost Abbey angel share just to name a few.

beefandbean22 likes this.
  35. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Subscriber Beer Trader

And because baseball season ends after Labor Day Weekend - if not sooner - in Seattle, here's the list for football:

Best Beer at NFL Stadiums

36. distantmantra

Beer Trader

They better carry Hilliards' new pale ale, The 12th Can.

66jzmstr and draheim like this.
  37. dirtylou

dirtylou May 12, 2005 Washington
    Beer Trader

yeah - need to grab that. different than nautical pale i assume?

Georgetown Lucille on tap at the CLink last night for the Sounders game - 1st time seeing that one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe