Top 5 Deschutes

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Stignacious, Nov 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stignacious

Stignacious Defender (678) Aug 24, 2011 New York

Bitterbill likes this.
  2. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Meyvn (1,168) May 2, 2010 Ohio

Get your hands on The Abyss. You won't be sorry.

Crocea, ericwo, MizzDizz and 6 others like this.
  3. DaverCS

DaverCS Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2014 Arizona

Good Stuff! Thoroughly enjoy their beers. All beers they listed are solid IMO. My immediate favorite is the Abyss, but their porter is great as well.

chrismann65 and digita7693 like this.
  4. CJ11

CJ11 Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2010 California

ChrisMon02 knows what he's talking about. Abyss is glorious.

chrismann65 and ChrisMon02 like this.
  5. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,951) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Surprised Fresh Squeezed didn't make the cut. Good beers, nonetheless.

6. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,027) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Deschutes is awesome, my favorite of the "big" breweries. Mirror Pond is near perfect; smooth, easy drinking, reasonably priced. Black Butte is rock solid. Chasin' Freshies isn't my favorite. Abyss stands separate from most of its ilk. The Black Butte XX series is easily my most anticipated yearly release. The rest of their stuff is really good.

7. Golferallen54

Golferallen54 Initiate (0) May 1, 2014 Colorado

Deschutes is awesome! Mirror Mirror, Fresh Squeezed, Mirror Pond, Foray, and Doppel Dinkel Bock

foundersfan1 and MjBrewhouse like this.
  8. matcris

matcris Meyvn (1,171) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

I've had their BB porter, NW Pale, Jubelale, Fresh Squeezed, and twilight Summer Ale....all were fantastic.

Eriktheipaman and MjBrewhouse like this.
  9. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

I think Deschutes brews really solid beers. Looking forward to tasting The Abyss this Sunday, hopefully I can participate in the online tasting.

10. beertrip

beertrip Initiate (50) Feb 6, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

I have been able to enjoy a few Deschutes even though I live in Jersey thanks to France44. Wish they used cans so the shipping would be cheaper. Have yet to be disappointed.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  11. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,924) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Really None .. i dont have any i like Dont buy Deschutes regular line up at all and skipped Abyss and Dissident this year

eppCOS likes this.
  12. LankFreudRyte

LankFreudRyte Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2008 Illinois

Alphabetically, The Abyss is tenth behind Black Butte Porter, Cascade Ale, Chasin' Freshies 2015,
    Fresh Squeezed IPA, Hop Henge Experimental IPA, Inversion IPA, Mirror Pond Pale Ale, Obsidian Stout and Red Chair NWPA. "The Abyss" is its name.

Kuaff likes this.
  13. SamN

SamN Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2009 Colorado

Yeah, that's a good'un. Haven't had Freshies, but considering the accuracy of the rest of the list, I'll bet it's damn good.

14. drinkin-beeers

drinkin-beeers Disciple (368) Jan 29, 2014 Montana

Chain breaker is their only beer I could care less about. Everything else I've had is great.

15. scottbrew4u

scottbrew4u Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2005 Pennsylvania

This brewery has been doing it right for years. Fell in live with them when I discovered Black Butte Porter on tap in 1997! It is still my favorite porter.

16. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

my top 5 :

Abyss
    Fresh Squeezed
    Hop Trip
    Obsidian
    Black Butte

foundersfan1 likes this.
  17. TCJ0100

TCJ0100 Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2014 California

Definitely prefer Obsidian to their porter. Fresh Squeezed is also very underrated.

18. unhyped

unhyped Initiate (77) Feb 13, 2015 Oregon

1. the dissident
    2. hop henge
    3.not stoic
    4. jubel
    5. hop in the dark CDA

Bitterbill and JayWhitson like this.
  19. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

Hard to pick.

I've been to the brewpub locations in Bend and Portland, and there's so many good offerings there that aren't bottled. Those Oregon folks have it so good. I hope they know and appreciate that. I bow humbly before Deschutes.

20. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,176) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Everyone freaks out over the porter. It's nice, but they make better beers. (Mayflower will always be my favorite....Dragoon does a great job too!)

I'm a big fan of Jubelale. Probably the best winter warmer on the market.

Hop Trip is great too. Loved Chasin' Freshies last year, this year was kinda "meh". Abyss of course but that goes without saying.....

If I had to pick out of the regular lineup though, I'd say Inversion or Mirror Pale Ale. You can't go wrong with anything they make really.

21. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,293) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

A vote for Jubelale here. Amazing Christmas ale...

Bitterbill, ericwo, MizzDizz and 2 others like this.
  22. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2009 California

All their barrel-aged beers age beautifully and definitely worth the wait. Better than fresh in all cases, with the exception of the notorious Green Monster.

chrismann65 likes this.
  23. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (151) Jan 8, 2015 California

If we are talking seasonals Red Chair NWPA needs to be on the list. Deschutes makes some great stuff which tend to be balanced and "old school" with more malt than some newer comparable brews.

Bitterbill and TrojanRB like this.
  24. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (1,793) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Obsidian at $40 a case but it's $45 so it gets no love. Deschutes is a large brewery learn go hustle you dummies.

25. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

The Anniversary Black Buttes should be on any top Deschutes list.

26. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (280) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Deschutes goes so deep. That Particular list isn't necessarily my top 5, but they are all very good. Mine would be...

Fresh Squeezed
    Red Chair
    Black Butte
    Black Butte Anniv.
    Jubelale

**Haven't had Abyss, not a fan of the Stoics

foundersfan1 likes this.
  27. MuFugga

MuFugga Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2015 Wisconsin

My top 5 is

1. The Abyss
    2. Fresh Sqeezed
    3. Obsidian
    4. Jubelale
    5. Black Butte

I have last years Anniversary Black Butte in the cellar still and it will be the first I've ever tried. I'm sure it will replace one on my list.

Bitterbill and foundersfan1 like this.
  28. Sir_Whats-his-face

Sir_Whats-his-face Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2015 Oregon

1. The Abyss
    2. Mirror Mirror
    3. Obsidian Stout
    4. Black Butte Anniversary
    5. Fresh Squeezed

29. ELS

ELS Devotee (422) Apr 22, 2012 Florida
    Trader

I used to go to Portland for work about 3-4 times a year during the 90s. My first Black Butte Porter on tap was amazing. Since then I've become a big fan of Deschutes. Love the Abyss, the BB anniversaries, Obsidian and Jubelale. Not a fan of fresh squeezed or bottled black butte.

hoptheology likes this.
  30. ELS

ELS Devotee (422) Apr 22, 2012 Florida
    Trader

I used to go to Portland for work about 3-4 times a year during the 90s. My first Black Butte Porter on tap was amazing. Since then I've become a big fan of Deschutes. Love the Abyss, the BB anniversaries, Obsidian and Jubelale. Not a fan of fresh squeezed or bottled black butte.

31. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Deactivated

This is good, but only partial, advice. In general, I'm not a devotee of the benefits of ageing. I've found it can make great beers (a little) better or (much) worse. The Abyss is different, IMHO. It only starts to achieve its greatness after 6 or so months. If you get some, give it at least that much time.

32. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

For distributed beers, that list is spot on.

33. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (4,179) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

You'd probably like Chasin' Freshies of you like Fresh Squeezed.. it just hit shelves too.. I haven't had this year's, and it might be a different recipe each year, but it was awesome last year.. only $5.99/bomber which is great in the world of bombers.

Bitterbill and foundersfan1 like this.
  34. mudbug

mudbug Defender (617) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

I know I do.

yemenmocha, cavedave and sharpski like this.
  35. sharpski

sharpski Savant (910) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Trader

Fortunately, their brewpub in Bend's steady stream of pub-only beers and bottle releases, educational events, and food pairings make it impossible to take them for granted, even in the sea of amazing local beer. I definitely appreciate them.

36. beermeplz

beermeplz Aspirant (278) Feb 13, 2015 California

having a 2015 jubel right now that is tasting great and had a black butte 27 earlier this week that was also really impressive. i've only grown more fond of deschutes over time. need to start buying more of their special stuff to hold onto.

foundersfan1 and chrismann65 like this.
  37. thuey

thuey Disciple (334) Nov 13, 2015 California

I enjoy The Abyss more than BCBS and KBS. It's way more complex. My wife's favorite beer ever is Mirror Mirror, so Deschutes is doing something right.

For the regular stuff, I'm a fan of their Red Chair NWPA. I should probably try Black Butte someday though.

38. Bobbyk503

Bobbyk503 Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2015 Oregon

1.) Black Butte^3 ( look it up and trade for a bottle of it, BA chocolate bomb!)
    2.) Abyss 6mo-1 yr old, or 2007 or 2008
    3.) Fresh squeezed 2 weeks old or fresher
    4.) Aged mirror mirror or BB 27 ( tastes like BCBS fresh)
    5.) Im gonna leave #5 open for tge 2015 Abyss varients that will be coming out..... 100% rye barrel aged, coffee and cognac

39. hoptheology

hoptheology Poo-Bah (5,387) May 12, 2014 South Dakota
    Society Trader

The first two are definitely dead on. You haven't really tasted the philosophy of Deschutes (or the talent) until you've had these two flagships. I don't even like pale ales much and Mirror Pond is beyond amazing. Black Butte Porter is my 2nd favorite porter only lapsed (barely) by Central Waters' Mudpuppy Porter.

Chasin' Freshies is good but not phenomenal. I have not had the Abyss, and Jubelale was a little better than okay.

My nominations?

1) Mirror Pond
    2) Black Butte
    3) Cinder Cone Red (now THAT is how you do a hoppy red)
    4) Red Chair NWPA
    5) Fresh Hop Wit (just trust me on this one)

foundersfan1 likes this.
  40. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,193) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Don't understand the love with Fresh Squeeze. It was kind of soapy to me. But I have enjoyed their other beers.

ELS and RBassSFHOPit2ME like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.