Top 5 Summer Sippers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by LevG, Jun 4, 2018.

1. LevG

LevG Initiate (85) Feb 2, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

What are your favorite sessionable beers to have on a hot, summer day?

2. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,351) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Anything cold and light on the ABV. No particular brand for me since most are great so the choices are endless.
    Cheers

bmugan and flaskman like this.
  3. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Savant (904) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

I've been drinking the bejeebus out of these two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

This one's a beer that more people should probably drink more of, myself included:

[​IMG]

5. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

6. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (756) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I am limiting myself to things I can get in my area at a reasonable price. They're sorta ranked, but sorta interchangeable.

1. Off Color 15 Feet-a Grodziskie at 3.8%, tons of Applewood smoke, herbal, dill, lemony Sorachi Ace hops, high carbonation, and a pleasant medium-light heft wheat body. One of the best summer beers ever conceived to my palate (if you dislike smoke, you'll hate this).

2. Bitburger Pils-German pilsner with an assertive-yet-balanced level of spicy Noble hops throughout, a svelte, crackery malt body, and a very crisp finish, all for $5/4pk/500ml cans. Substitute in Urban Chestnut Stammtisch if you want a US pils with a similar profile, moderately more hops, and probably fresher stock (but $3 more). Trumer Pils also fits here and is fantastic, but Bitburger gets the nod due to value.

3. Pilsner Urquell-Sort of the flipside to Bitburger with buttery rich malt presence and an abundance of very obviously Saaz hops. Though it is actually less in ABV than Bitburger (4.4% for Urquell vs. 4.8% for Bitburger), this feels slightly heavier and makes you feel like you're drinking a bigger beer that you can really sip and savor.

4. Metropolitan Krankshaft Koelsch-Oddly cheaper than the German imports, this is my go-to Koelsch for summer with the delicious fruity complexity that the ale yeast brings plus ample hopping and a crisp, malty finish. Sometimes I'll sub in Sunner, Reissdorf, or Gaffel if I don't mind spending a little more.

5. Pabst Blue Ribbon-Gotta have something really cheap, light (yet flavorful), and ridiculously drinkable for the densely humid Midwestern summers. Pabst fits that bill and is, in my opinion, the best American adjunct lager around. Just for a change-up in flavor profile, I often switch things up with Miller High Life and Hamm's.

I haven't been able to try the canned St. Bernardus Wit yet, but that could make the list. Same goes for the apparently new and improved Oskar Blues Mama's Little Yella Pils. I wish there were more grisettes/low ABV saisons around, since that would quickly make its way into my rankings here (I miss Smuttynose Hayseed, but I guess Stillwater Cellar Door and Extra Dry, plus Prairie Standard and Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere fit that bill somewhat). I wish Sierra Nevada Sierraveza and Koelsch were available outside the variety pack (especially the former; what a perfect summer sipper that is).

If I reached outside my distro area, Sixpoint Alpenflo might make it (based on all I've heard, still haven't had it...), COAST 32/50 would take the Koelsch spot, Olde Mecklenberg Capt. Jack would take the Bitburger spot, and Hill Farmstead Clara would bump PBR and the AALs off. As to why there are no IPAs, I don't really find IPAs very refreshing (tasty, though). They're usually too high in alcohol to have as many as I'd like, and the hops tend to linger on the palate don't leave me feeling like my thirst has been quenched.

#6 THANAT0PSIS, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    Blueribbon666, eppCOS, nc41 and 11 others like this.
  7. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Agreed. Especially in cans.

I do not find them to be refreshing either.

WadeBridgman, nc41 and Rfro5 like this.
  8. THANAT0PSIS

Beer Trader

I edited my post to reflect that there are some, but they're not all in cans, are not really that cheap, and don't exactly hit the flavor profile that I really want in the style. Stillwater Extra Dry was pretty awesome, though, I thought, and Prairie Standard is superb.

Whatever happened to the regular Prairie Ale? We get Prairie where I'm located, but I NEVER see it.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  9. jcos

jcos Aspirant (252) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland

10. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

TongoRad and jcos like this.
  11. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Defender (659) Nov 3, 2014 Alabama
    Beer Trader

1. Reissdorf Kölsch
    2. Reissdorf Kölsch
    3. Reissdorf Kölsch
    4. Stillwater Extra Dry
    5. Reissdorf Kölsch

12. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (172) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

Founders PC Pils-a nice American hopped Pils.
    Dogfish Head's Sea Quench-marketed as a session sour. Very refreshing.
    Firestone Walker's Lager or Deschutes Pacific Wonderland-for when I want a "baseline" beer.
    Weihenstephaner/Sierra Nevada's collab Braupakt-wonderful hefeweizen
    Either O'Dell's Drumroll APA or Deschutes Mirror Pond pale-when I want something a little more hoppy.

MonkeyBread and THANAT0PSIS like this.
  13. THANAT0PSIS

Beer Trader

But why does Reissdorf have to be so expensive? :confused:

MonkeyBread and FBarber like this.
  14. THANAT0PSIS

Beer Trader

Love both of these. I'd add Pivo, too. FW beers are so hard to get fresh, though, and they're sorta pricey compared to competing options.

I find Hefeweizens kind of heavy, but they are a great summer beverage still.

BayAreaJoe, Zorro and TongoRad like this.
  15. Dan411

I would like to try the Pivo Pils, but we don't get it here. Firestone Walker, oddly enough, get here pretty quick.

16. THANAT0PSIS

Beer Trader

You get FW but not their Pivo? Weird.

17. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Yeah . . . I would think that it's everywhere FSW distributes, as it's one of their canned offerings.

18. Dan411

Probably just the store I frequent doesn't have it. I am sure I could find it. They always have the Lager, Nitro Merlin, the Leo vs Ursus series (when it was a thing), and Luponic Distortion.

Djwildefire likes this.
  19. oneeye

oneeye Aspirant (288) Feb 17, 2007 Pennsylvania

Troegs Sunshine Pils
    Victory Prima Pils
    Alesmith.394 San Diego Style Pale Ale
    Miller High Life straight from the bottle
    Belvedere smoothies

RobHB and rudiecantfail like this.
  20. zid

zid Savant (942) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

What kind of a backwards fiend will have a sessionable beer as a summer sipper? :confounded: :wink:

21. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Add the following to those two and the two Sixpoint beers that I mentioned earlier and you have my 5:

[​IMG]

22. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,365) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey

Just recently I had a Memorial Day get together, and was seriously considering that Alpenflo. As it turns out, I played it cheap and got Radeberger Pilsner instead (for the same amount of money it was 12-16oz. cans instead of 12oz.). The Radeberger is a perfectly nice beer, but I guess I didn't take into account that when served from a cooler on ice it wasn't at its best, and came across as really bitter for the gravity. My experience with the Alpenflo, however, is that it tastes better to me when served cold. Thankfully I learned that lesson early, and still have the rest of the Summer ahead of me. :wink:

dcotom, drtth and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  23. zid

Beer Trader

I was very much in agreement with a lot of your post... until you got to the price specifics and substitution above. I guess Hill Farmstead sees a massive price increase when it comes to NY. :wink:

24. TongoRad

For IPAs I find that Two Hearted works perfectly fine for me, never seems to get to the point of overbearing or heavy.

25. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (540) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Premium Member

Beat me to it. The essence of an oxymoron. "Sessionable" beers, summer styles or not, aren't meant to be sipped. :grimacing::wink:

26. LevG

Beer Trader

Really love these.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

27. LarryV

LarryV Savant (994) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Premium Member

Well it's only 2 that I'm mentioning now, but I'll say SN Summerfest, and Sam Adams 76; both taste pretty good on a hot summer day after doing the obligatory yard work.

28. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (837) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

SNPA and Summerfest
    Pilsner from the Local Brew Pub Trap Rock
    Sam Adams Boston Lager
    Brooklyn East India Pale Ale

surfcaster and LarryV like this.
  29. LevG

Beer Trader

Well, getting completely blitzed at 2PM on a hot, Saturday afternoon isn't always the case. If that's your goal, you'd probably wanna switch it up with some small batch tequila :no_mouth:

TongoRad likes this.
  30. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Although I didn't hate this beer, I thought it was basically "meh".

31. TongoRad

I'd bet that @zid 's comment was more of a tease regarding how it was phrased, rather than about the concept. Usually if something is described as a 'sipper' it's because of how strong it is.

cavedave, zid and FBarber like this.
  32. MNAle

MNAle Savant (951) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

For MN brewed, Utepils Copacetic & Pils, Schell's Pils, Summit Keller Pils & Dakota Soul, Surly Rising North. Even Summit Lazy Sipper might make the list for some... its touch of strawberry gives it a bit of a leg up (IMO) for a blonde ale and a refreshing taste.

33. MNAle

MNAle Savant (951) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Which was an editorial comment I made about Summit's Lazy Sipper... :wink:

TongoRad likes this.
  34. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (347) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Not sure if it's just a one off, but ballast points mango even keel session ipa is a pretty nice yard work beer. Have had a couple mowing and weed whacking, it gets my seal of approval.

35. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (4,286) Sep 17, 2005 Maine

Three that I like:
    Geary's Summer Ale
    SN Otra Vez
    Black Hog S.W.A.G.

OffTrail likes this.
  36. oneeye

oneeye Aspirant (288) Feb 17, 2007 Pennsylvania

I’ve tried every Sixpoint beer distributed to our area but have yet to come across Alpenflo. I called 5 distributors and Whole Foods this past weekend with no luck.

Any idea where to find this in western pa, pgh? I do enjoy a good helles lager! Victory and Weihenstaphaner are two that I have enjoyed over the years. If Alpenflo is as good as the ratings here, I could see myself buying a few 12 packs over the summer.

37. THANAT0PSIS

Beer Trader

Thanks, man.

Sort of a pipedream with HF. If I could constantly get Clara, I gotta cut something, and I love the flavor profiles of the rest of the styles too much to bump them. That is where I am coming from.

zid likes this.
  38. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

It's pretty damn good. Bought the last 12 at a local store this past weekend and I've heard that if there is more around, it isn't much. I believe that Shane said there'd be more coming in short order in the Beer News & Releases Forum.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/sixpoint-alpenflo-helles-lager.553024/

TongoRad and oneeye like this.
  39. zid

Beer Trader

TongoRad is correct. I was just being playful. For me, a sipper is strictly something you drink in small amounts at a time, and the opposite of a session beer. Oddly enough, when I go to the store this week, my shopping list is Pilsners and barley wines. That's gonna be my summer drinking. Summer sippers AND drinkers. I really dislike neat tequila. :slight_smile:

TongoRad likes this.
  40. THANAT0PSIS

Beer Trader

Man, I was really put off by the amount of mango in that beer. All BP's fruited/flavored beers are just way, way too heavy-handed for my palate (except V@S, but even that's very vanilla and coffee forward, though I guess it works better in a Baltic porter for me). Regular Even Keel is a good beer to me, though I never see it anymore.

MonkeyBread likes this.