Top Beers Per State

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by REVZEB, Dec 21, 2021.

1. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (10,362) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Where did the top 100 for each state go? I see all the countries in the drop down

BrewsOverHoes likes this.
  2. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,478) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Select United States in the country drop down then a 2nd drop down opens next to it with the states listed.

3. REVZEB

Society

Every time I do that the page just reloads, I'll reset things on my end and try again

4. REVZEB

Society

It works now! Problem on my end, thanks!

Junior, PapaGoose03 and Jaycase like this.
  5. BigIronH

BigIronH Meyvn (1,123) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Can someone walk me through this process on mobile? I’ve been wondering about this for a long time. Where do you start, where do you finish? TIA, cheers.

Resistance88 likes this.
  6. Todd

Todd Founder (6,564) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Menu > Top Rated / Top 250 > Select United States > Select State

beerjerk666, REVZEB, Rug and 2 others like this.
  7. BigIronH

Society Trader

Damn it. Another list to tic. This one I take personally. 21/100, look out!

8. Bhubbard34

Bhubbard34 Aspirant (262) Mar 4, 2016 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Whoa, never realized you could sort by state, awesome!

BigIronH, REVZEB, ChicagoJ and 2 others like this.
  9. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,057) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

For which state? Michigan?

BigIronH likes this.
  10. BigIronH

Society Trader

Yes.

Sheppard likes this.
  11. Sheppard

Society Trader

Feel like there's better distribution in the Top 100 for Michigan than other states that are dominated by one brewery. Which could make it more fun than a list dominated by Tree House and Trillium.

REVZEB, Rug, BigIronH and 3 others like this.
  12. BigIronH

Society Trader

Oh absolutely. When I looked I instantly noticed a few that sit on shelves year round. A couple I’ve had in my cellar and not thought twice about since I bought them.

Harrison8 likes this.
  13. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,671) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

In my eyes, it's not the sort of thing you'd know was there without someone explaining that it's there.

Your post made me look at NY, and intentionally ignore every IPA, stout and "wild/sour" beer there to see what was left on the list. That left only 1 beer - a pilsner that I've had... and probably my choice for my favorite beer currently brewed in NY (including any beers I've had in the top 10 on this NY list). I'm happy without going further. Creative filtering. :slight_smile:

14. BigIronH

Society Trader

Good job on your part.

15. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,671) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Let me tell ya, it was a lot of work. Time for a beer. :beers:

16. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Meyvn (1,056) Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

I just checked Ohio, and there's a fruited kettle sour in the Top 100. Not exactly an outcome I expected.

(In its defense, I've had it, and it is tasty. :laughing: )

17. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,678) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I can count all the top beers in my state without taking off my shoes.

18. BigIronH

Society Trader

I had to check to see what you meant and boy, you weren’t kidding. Only 51 beers due to lack of additions and ratings and they’re all made by 3 breweries. Are you at least near a brewery? I’ve seen before you’ve noted distribution issues makes finding some other beers hard to find as well.

Harrison8 likes this.
  19. milkshakebeersucks

milkshakebeersucks Savant (918) Feb 10, 2020 Maryland
    Society

So true. Checked through all the States but only for the top 10. There are 5 States (Del, Iowa, Nev, ND and OK) that a single brewery claimed all 10 spots. Didn't keep count where it was 9 out of 10 but there were a lot. Some of my neighboring States (Pa, Va and WV) were much more diverse.

20. Sheppard

Society Trader

MA is one of those 9/10 states. I think that the state tool could be very valuable to help discover new breweries in different places but with how people tend to rate, I don't feel that's the case at the moment.

Harrison8, BigIronH and Rug like this.
  21. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Initiate (130) Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey
    Trader

I would like to know what the best selling beer is in each state.

Harrison8, BigIronH and Sheppard like this.
  22. milkshakebeersucks

milkshakebeersucks Savant (918) Feb 10, 2020 Maryland
    Society

In New Jersey it's Corona

BigIronH likes this.
  23. BigIronH

Society Trader

I wonder how difficult this would be to articulate. If you can find results on google or elsewhere; might be worth starting a separate thread. Cheers.

Rug, PapaGoose03 and Harrison8 like this.
  24. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,293) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I've seen a recent map somewhere on the Internet that showed the best-selling beer in each state, and it was disheartening to see so many states that had either Bud Light or Miller Lite as their 'champion' beer. So the list would be boring unless some dividing line can be drawn between macros and 'craft' beers.

I'm guessing that such a list is available (maybe data would be a year or two old), but before such a list is found and presented here, it would be interesting for BA members to predict which beer they think is tops in their state. For Michigan I'll predict it would be Two Hearted in a runaway.

25. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,953) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2021/10/the-most-popular-beer-in-every-us-state/

BigIronH, Rug, tone77 and 3 others like this.
  26. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,293) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

The map in your link is similar to the map that I saw, but I think what I saw it had Michigan's most popular beer as either Bud Light or Miller Lite instead of Budweiser, which is what is shown in your map. So the answer to the question of state popularity probably depends on the source or which given year.

Your list is interesting in that for all of the macros listed, a specific beer is named, but for the smattering of states where a craft brewery is shown as being tops, they don't list a specific beer although there are a couple of exceptions to that. It makes you wonder how precise the data gathering for this survey might have been.

Maybe we'll never know for sure a list by state of the most popular 'craft' beers.

Bitterbill, BigIronH and Rug like this.
  27. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,952) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

There a lot of retired beers in the Colorado top 100

Sheppard likes this.
  28. REVZEB

Society

Glad I could start a good conversation! The more lists the better! Cheers!

#28 REVZEB, Dec 26, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
  29. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,877) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Are they listed as one-off, or do they need to be reported?

BigIronH likes this.
  30. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,938) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Just Looked at California's list and it's underwhelming in the predictable ways. All big stouts, big ipas, and famous sours as well as having some zombie brews (all the old alpine classics for example) that are shadows of themselves today.

The most disappointing thing to me was that the whole top 100 only had about 25 brewers included. In a state like California I feel like there is no reason there isn't close to 50 brewers on there. But these lists have their baked in biases obviously

31. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,952) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I didn't know they could be reported.

32. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,366) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Both that website and the one that the info is from https://topagency.com/report/beer-report/ sure appear to me to be based on a survey - "One in four survey respondents across the country reported..." is the only hint but, otherwise they are not very forthcoming about it (where, when, how many people, how it was conducted, etc...)

Their "data" page here https://topagency.com/data/ says only "We conduct surveys at lightning speed, crunch Google Trends, and social data..." and also has an Anheuser-Busch-InBev logo in the their list of clients. :grin:

Budweiser is currently the 5th or 6th (depending on source and unit of measure - dollars or barrels) how can it be the "favorite" in most US states? They claim "Budweiser has remained king of the US..." but that hasn't been true since 2001. There are over 2 million barrels of beer sold annually in Mississippi - does anyone really think that the 8,392 bbl. of beer Lazy Magnolia sold in 2020 makes it the best selling brand? Colorado's total beer sales are around 4 million barrels but Denver Beer Co's 25,000 bbl. make it #1?

#32 jesskidden, Dec 26, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
  33. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,877) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Beer availability can be reported to allow updates.

I'm assuming the Top Beers per State has the same criteria as the Top 250 in that the beer must be "active". Regardless, it's important to report these to maintain, as you indicated, a more accurate list.

Sheppard, Todd and PapaGoose03 like this.
  34. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,953) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Yeah, I took that with a giant grain of salt. Snake River being the most popular in Wyoming...pipe dream.

PapaGoose03, ChicagoJ and Harrison8 like this.
  35. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (3,159) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

Awesome! Didn't even realize this was possible!

Rug, Harrison8 and Todd like this.
  36. turfy

turfy Disciple (309) Mar 17, 2010 Texas
    Trader

There is no way in hell Lone Star is the most popular beer in Texas, despite the ad nauseam placement in Texas movies/ shows. Has to be Bud Light or Miller Light based on the overwhelming majority of shelf space devoted to them at all outlets.

37. Todd

Todd Founder (6,564) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/top-rated/us/tx/

38. turfy

turfy Disciple (309) Mar 17, 2010 Texas
    Trader