Top Rated Brewery List?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Gkruszewski, Nov 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gkruszewski

Gkruszewski Poo-Bah (1,951) Nov 1, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

It would great to a have a top rated brewery list....anyone in favor...

2. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (936) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I don't think so, It would just be another "round up the usual suspects" list.

REVZEB, Squire, SFACRKnight and 3 others like this.
  3. Gkruszewski

Society Trader

Tree House
    Trillium
    Side Project
    Russian River
    Topping Goliath
    The Other Half
    J Wakefield
    The Alchemist
    The Bruery
    Hill Farmstead....

This is a Good Start.....

ichorNet likes this.
  4. Gkruszewski

Society Trader

All the brewery’s have been rated already... they should basically put up a top 250 list just like the other top rated lists

5. Roybert

Roybert Aspirant (271) Oct 2, 2014 Texas

Nah

GOBLIN likes this.
  6. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,156) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Nailed it

7. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,992) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

I think he might be referring to Top Breweries by overall quality and rating, not just the beer. Obviously a generic "Top Breweries" list would be boring but beer quality (and hype) are just one piece of the puzzle.

A weighted list that values service, selection, and overall quality, among other things, would be interesting IMO.

8. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,496) Sep 24, 2007 Saint Martin
    Trader

It'd be of no interest to me (I don't look at the top beer lists either), but, why not?

alucard6679 likes this.
  9. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (936) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

As I said in post #2 "round up the usual suspects"

10. Todd

Todd Founder (5,895) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

I'm all for exploring something and will keep an eye on this thread for ideas.

11. Gkruszewski

Society Trader

A list would benefit not only the usual but the unusual suspects...

12. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,992) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

I guess I was thinking of a "Top Places" list, but only for breweries. A list where beer quality is important, but so is service, atmosphere, location, accessibility, selection, etc...

For example, a brewery like Other Half would be up near the top in quality, but location and accessibility wouldn't.

Taking EVERYTHING into consideration would create a different list than simply who has the most hyped beers.

13. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,727) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Yale terrace x 10

dennis3951 likes this.
  14. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,533) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

In my mind what you just described is what occurs with a Places rating here on BA. You can do a search of 'breweries only' by state and click on the Score column header and rank the resulting list of breweries. Here's one for New Hampshire. https://www.beeradvocate.com/place/list/?start=0&s_id=NH&brewery=Y&sort=avg (You can probably do a search of all the USA breweries too, but that may overwork the search feature.) It may need to be 'handicapped' somehow to adjust for the breweries that have a low number of ratings that happen to result in an overall 4.63 and topping the list and may not be as good as that score, but maybe it is.

egrandfield likes this.
  15. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (1,845) Jun 18, 2010 New York

Here's the problem with doing this; you will get the breweries that produce the most sought after beer at the top of the list regardless of how good the brewery experience is.

16. socon67

I do this kind of search whenever I travel (which is often thanks to work). I sort by number of ratings and then cherry pick the higher rated breweries.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  17. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,352) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Sure, why not, the more information I have the more choices I've got.

mschrei likes this.
  18. mschrei

mschrei Poo-Bah (2,173) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society

It’s a pretty damn good idea, just because you can rate popularity in terms of how many ratings they get and, more importantly, rate in terms of how high their ratings are. I like it.

19. mschrei

mschrei Poo-Bah (2,173) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society

But what about rating them in terms of

A) how many ratings their beers get (indicating how much people want to try/rate their stuff)

B) how well their beers rate in terms of an aggregate score

I think that gives a better idea of what they are as a brewery more than a “place rating”. For instance, I enjoy Three Floyds’ beer and would give them at least a 4 to 4.25 as a brewery, but my place rating is low because the one time I was there that wasn’t a Dark Lord Day, I hated the place.

REVZEB likes this.
  20. Ffenski

Ffenski Devotee (402) Apr 24, 2008 Ohio
    Society

How about ranking breweries by time frame based on their genesis- Older, Kinda New, New (grouped into periods of years, more categories can be added). That way, you get the usual suspects and then some.

GOBLIN likes this.
  21. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,533) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I was replying to @ScaryEd's post that seemed to be giving his definition of what characteristics a 'Top Rated' brewery should include, and I made the point that definition was pretty much a Places ratimng. My point was that if that's a definition that we all could live with, then it's possible to do a Places search and modify the Score column in the resulting list to arrive at something that reaches that definition.

If you don't think that does the job, then that's okay. For Todd to consider creating a 'Top Brewery' list, then we need to arrive at a definition that he can work with. His post above noted that he would monitor this thread to see what might come up that is workable, and you've made your point for consideration.

Peach63 likes this.
  22. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (5,946) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Also your data will be skewed towards where there are more ba’s. Already happens in other lists with the preponderance of folks in the north east.

23. Todd

I think trading and hype is more at play here, but membership population definitely impacts things. For fun, here are the top 10 states for membership right now:
    1. California | 8.88%
    2. Pennsylvania | 6.02%
    3. New York | 5.34%
    4. Massachusetts | 4.66%
    5. Illinois | 4.6%
    6. Texas | 4.24%
    7. Florida 3.5%
    8. Ohio | 3.22%
    9. Michigan | 2.79%
    10. New Jersey | 2.64%

24. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (2,166) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Society Trader

Why not have multiple sort options such as place, and quality of beer?

And now for some more obvious comments: As others have mentioned, “top rated” needs to be defined. And as with individual beer brands, whatever metric is used should come with criteria and weight. This can overcome skew towards number of brands, and number of reviews of brands, as well as place. A factor in the weight should be standard deviation within each data point.

25. socon67

Hype is absolutely a large factor. Can't count how many breweries I've been to that were really good places to visit in populated areas, and I'm wondering "why hasn't this place been mentioned more?" These places are usually under the radar in terms of highly rated beer.

REVZEB likes this.
  26. socon67

I think a bigger factor is that Places are getting less and less Ratings\Reviews. Less new data into the ratings.

emerge077 likes this.
  27. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (5,946) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

That’s cool to see the breakdown, thank you. I was thinking back to the per capita numbers you gave before but then that was only rb society

28. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (228) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

The Top 10 trendy New England breweries list

dennis3951 likes this.
  29. Todd

Gkruszewski likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.