Topcutter floaties - why?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by woemad, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,013) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Trader

I just polished off the last of a Topcutter 6-pk, and while they were all delicious, all had a lot of sediment floating about when poured into a glass. I've only ever encountered that with hoppy beers that were super old, but these were canned slightly over a month before I picked up the 6-pk, so I'm a little perplexed by it. What gives?

2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,308) Sep 24, 2007 Vatican City
    Trader

Perhaps Bale Breaker just wants to be like Alchemist, make an ugly beer, and just tell people to drink it straight from the can? :wink:

woemad and sharpski like this.
  3. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,152) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Because MOAR hops... If they tasted fine and you knew they were fresh, might have bought a 6pk that was racked from the bottom of the brite tank? Dunno about their process, but if it tastes fine I'm happy to allow a little hop matter in my beer.

beertunes likes this.
  4. zestd

zestd Disciple (333) Jan 18, 2013 Idaho

I love floaties, like this pretty thing.

Beerleon likes this.
  5. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Aspirant (267) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

Oh that's such a tease.

6. chinochino

chinochino Initiate (99) Jul 29, 2013 Washington

Oh honey, I missed you..........

TheeWalrusHunter likes this.
  7. Spud8610

Spud8610 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 Washington

Oh yea ft George has floaties thick doesn't bother me none just an extra snack

TheeWalrusHunter likes this.
  8. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,461) Sep 18, 2010 Washington

I noticed this too, I think actually with Field 41. I just figured they like their hops chunky style. If it ain't broke...

chinochino, woemad and sharpski like this.
  9. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,308) Sep 24, 2007 Vatican City
    Trader

Are those yeast floaties or hop chunks?

10. t4h2c0

t4h2c0 Initiate (86) Jun 5, 2007 Washington

it varies batch to batch I have had some topcutter with floaties and others without. Prob because it is a highly hopped unfiltered beer???

11. woemad

Trader

I have had plenty of other beers that match that description, and never encountered it from them or the many draft Topcutters I've had. In fact, the only other beer I've ever had that looked similar was a freakishly old 6-pk of Winterfish I bought and drank when a noob about a dozen years ago. Those had been at least a year old, so I had always assumed that level of flakiness was a product of age. That's why I was so surprised to see Topcutter look like that when it was canned on March 3 and purchased a month or so later.

12. woemad

Trader

The look of the floaties was similar, though things were not nearly as cloudy.

Like I said, it tasted fine, I was just nonplussed by the appearance. If able to speak, my liver would say, "Oh, God, not another IPA," so it's not like I don't drink such beers regularly, including the awesome one in your pic.

13. fsck

fsck Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2013 Washington

I'm purely in the floaties are a plus camp. Give me your ugly beer all day if it tastes that good.

14. Moose90

Moose90 Meyvn (1,404) Nov 25, 2012 Washington

I love Bale Breaker, I am dying to find me some Bottom Cutter too, bring on the floaties!

15. PDX_dennis

PDX_dennis Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2012 Oregon

I've never associated sediment with lack of beer freshness. Is this a real issue? Do hoppy beers get chunkier as they age?

I always assumed that the chunks were in the beer at bottling, and remained there until you drink it.

16. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Initiate (173) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

Yes, yeast will fall out of suspension eventually. Especially with old IPA's for some reason. I have seen it a ton.

17. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Disciple (313) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

Oxidation can also cause proteins to precipitate out of suspension and form little white flakes.

checktherhyme likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.