Toppling Goliath (2019)

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Foxman27, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Chantzrodriguez

Chantzrodriguez Initiate (25) Jun 13, 2018 Iowa
    Trader

Freedom toast was the day before KBBS so people were already heading south or around anyways.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  2. here4thebeer11

here4thebeer11 Initiate (32) May 30, 2015 Indiana

Not sure if I am remembering correctly, but that was in the mid 20s though, a big difference from 6 imo. I mean, there is a lot to get there, but based on the numbers they said, a lot of people could just show up later and hope to be in the 100-200 range. Who knows though, it'll be interesting to hear stories!

eppie82 and Chantzrodriguez like this.
  3. julianbooher

julianbooher Initiate (37) Dec 18, 2018 Minnesota
    Trader

Yeah, but it was still a Friday morning release. Nillerzzzzz b2 was especially nuts recently too (although that was pleasant weather season).

Who knows. I'm leaning towards making the trek down, but I'd be super disappointed to arrive around 4am and not get assassin at the very least.

ECOBOOSTINST and Chantzrodriguez like this.
  4. Gginger2307

Gginger2307 Initiate (33) Aug 9, 2017 Iowa
    Trader

Are... are we finally seeing the tides turning on these hypelines? Obviously this site is only one source to get a taste on how the general beer populous feels about a given release, but the general consensus in this instance seems to be lukewarm and leery at best. The idea of Uber early single digit temp line waiting to drop 300+ becomes harder to justify when no one is really even sure how many bottles of assassin/kbbs tickets are available...

The old strategy of vaguely promising the “opportunity” to buy Uber beers without providing enough details for folks to realistically judge the odds of striking out doesn’t seem to be stirring the hype pot like it used to...

Then again, the fear of the lines being a shit show might explain the last handful of cases of sr-71 lasting an hour past the line being served or the whole TGX fiasco.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  5. julianbooher

Trader

SR71 and TGX were much different circumstances though (one announced night before, one announced day of). This is a slowly ramped up hype-building release with more and more fuel added to the fire.

6. Gginger2307

Trader

True, though if memory serves the sr-71 release was strongly hinted at for quite a bit leading up to the announcement so I wouldn’t say it was a well guarded secret up until the night before. TGX was a bit more subtle.

7. mdg164

mdg164 Initiate (95) Mar 28, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

What was the TGX fiasco?

8. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Zealot (517) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

9. Gginger2307

Trader

TGX was a surprise bottle announcement at the 10th anni. The crowd size was clearly smaller than envisioned, so bottles ended up getting sold at no limits, some folks left with a healthy load of bottles.

Shitlording on secondary ensued over a surprise release that wasn't all that "limited", lots of QQing on both sides of that equation, followed up by a TG employee insisting that the secondary price be propped up. Standard neckbeard drama.

Kegger37, spersichilli and 4ruedebuci like this.
  10. Beer_Economicus

Trader

TG employee insisted that the Secondary price he propped up? :thinking_face:

11. julianbooher

Trader

Also the temp is 25 overnight friday, and it's supposed to get up to 41 on saturday. Heat wave!

12. julianbooher

Trader

13. bshemansky

bshemansky Aspirant (240) Nov 30, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Yes, I found it hilarious that people in this thread thought people wouldn't line up until Saturday morning. KBBS makes people do crazy things...as if all the other beers being released wasn't already enough to make people line up like that.

jaysker95 and julianbooher like this.
  14. here4thebeer11

That does look like a couple of people at most. with every release there are a few people who are there well in advance and make an event of it.

15. julianbooher

Trader

I'll be following facebook closely but I'm like 90% sure I'm not gonna go down (or maybe I'll drive down and arrive around open and just get barrel slayer + draft variants).

16. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,283) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

But what does Uber got to do with all this?

17. Beer_Economicus

Trader

The best example is always Black Friday at LP Binny’s. People will get there sometime thanksgiving afternoon or early evening. Just cuz.

18. here4thebeer11

Exactly. So I am guessing there are 5-10 people max there until the really early morning hours (like 2 am) where it slowly increases. Around 4-5 am things typically pick up a tiny bit, and then a bunch around 6-7 am.

19. julianbooher

Trader

I'll take the over on 5-10 people at 2am on Saturday.

HoppyHawk, eppie82, Jaycase and 3 others like this.
  20. here4thebeer11

What are ya thinking for line? I'm not betting, just curious. It's all guessing at this point.

21. julianbooher

Trader

I'd bet at 2am on Saturday it's at the very least >75, probably >100.

HoppyHawk, eppie82 and bshemansky like this.
  22. here4thebeer11

Damn, that's nuts. Even with weather like it will be that night? All the events like this that I have done with colder weather only see people really lining up early AM rather than day before (for the bulk of people). I mean it's predicted to be warmer than a few days ago, but still below freezing.

23. julianbooher

Trader

People line up at apeshit hours in the cold for pulpit stouts, and they're a fraction as valuable as the potential to acquire a kbbs ticket.

bshemansky likes this.
  24. here4thebeer11

That's fair. I guess it'll be interesting to see. Based on the past late releases of KBBS tickets, how many tickets do they usually release? I assumed it would be like 10 for the first few and not really worth spending the night on concrete lol

25. bshemansky

Trader

Plenty of people that go to these types of releases have tents/heaters/etc and are well prepared for cold. Makes it not so bad to be "outside"

jaysker95 likes this.
  26. mdg164

mdg164 Initiate (95) Mar 28, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I wonder if there’s going to be any sort of system to prevent line jumpers right before they open?

Chantzrodriguez likes this.
  27. Chantzrodriguez

Chantzrodriguez Initiate (25) Jun 13, 2018 Iowa
    Trader

Lol v doubtful

eppie82 likes this.
  28. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,298) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

I dunno but that tent above could easily fit 10 people at open.

Chantzrodriguez likes this.
  29. julianbooher

Trader

30. WIexile

WIexile Initiate (74) Jul 20, 2017 Michigan

Also noticed that tidbit. From what I've heard it more so to bring X-hops back and some of the spin offs from that. Looking forward to the return of Sol Hunter...

31. julianbooher

Trader

Great television in the chicago trade forums today.

32. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Interesting to read the Chicago threads and look at the trade forums here. Pretty interesting to see people asking for such a high value straight out, when you could just walk into Binny's at open and get it.

33. bshemansky

Trader

Yep. I feel bad for the guys waiting in line in Decorah while others just strolled up to Binnys at open today and bought multiple bottles. Granted, they are marked up quite a bit at Binnys, but it still beats waiting in the cold.

hey5hitgoose likes this.
  34. julianbooher

Trader

Line check?

I mean, anyone waiting right now is doing it for kbbs, not for this lol. Also the chicago release has been known for awhile now, and you'd be stupid if you didn't think they would comically tank the value, they always rush to sell and undercut.

Can't all masters like st louis who let everyone come to them.

bshemansky likes this.
  35. shamrock8387

shamrock8387 Initiate (53) Mar 14, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

60 in line at 4:35 pm

36. Cibsie

Cibsie Initiate (167) Jan 10, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

Damn, 50 people are going to be pissed they waited 18 hours in the cold for nothing but an Assassin.

37. Bojandjakovic

Bojandjakovic Initiate (24) May 2, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

What about the people at the loading dock? Clearly not there before everyone else

38. Bojandjakovic

Bojandjakovic Initiate (24) May 2, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Half those people just got skipped

39. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,283) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

WHAT'S HAPPENING

jaysker95 and Chantzrodriguez like this.