Toppling Goliath comes to NY!

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Jlabs, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Jlabs

Jlabs Meyvn (1,362) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

2. frozyn

frozyn Defender (630) May 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Pretty cool news. I'm sure all the stouts will take the cake on the hype train (mixed metaphors much?), but I'm looking forward to trying out fresh Pseudo/King Sue and Golden Nugget. Some "old school" whales that I remember reading about a lot when first getting into craft.

Also, looked into their distributor, Sarene, which looks pretty neat. Quite the list of brands they represent -- will be cool to see what other big names they are able to bring to NY.

Beers-es, hopsputin and NewmansOwn like this.
  3. Jlabs

Society Trader

4. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,363) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

Let me know what the dates look like on the TG stuff. I have never seen a brewery enter a new market with fresh product it always seems to get held up. Would be a shame if the govt shutdown again on Friday and somehow messed with this.

5. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,850) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I would expect TG, like any other brewer moving into a new territory, would ship some of their existing beers into New York - labels for which already have the TTB COLA's.

6. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,603) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Damn, I already feel bad for other great brands, such as Burial, that have to compete with the local excellence we have here in NY. I do love SOSUS, though, and not too many mosaic IPA as good as that one here (or anywhere). Hopefully they price their beers competitively, and give us some fresh product, otherwise I predict a dusty future for many bottles and cans from Iowa.

Dtrain22, sandman3479, jrnyc and 2 others like this.
  7. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,110) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Feels like 6 years ago this news would be awesome, today, not so much unless they are bringing their stouts :slight_smile:!

8. RollTide7

RollTide7 Aspirant (277) Feb 16, 2013 New Jersey

yea its interesting a lot of places are expanding but getting into markets late. i guess a bit of a double edged sword as you don't want to grow too quickly but per both your and @cavedave comments, a lot of these breweries that expand distro are sitting on shelves.

I can think of Bells, Cigar City and other brands that have expanded into NJ and just the amount of stuff generally that sits now given the sheer volume of choices. Personally I don't buy either of them much at all given everything available. Will be nice to have access to TG when I visit my in-laws, but again it all depends on freshness and pricing relative to the other great options.

EDIT: also interesting choices by TG to expand into two very competitive markets in Mass and now NY.

tzieser likes this.
  9. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,110) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

With all of the awesome breweries in NYC metro area where we can go right to the source and get great fresh beer, very little reason to buy off the shelf any more, local breweries are killing the national and regional breweries as well as local beer stores.

10. zid

zid Meyvn (1,330) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

A common enough mantra here. Although it’s fitting for you personally, it shouldn’t be presented as a universal truth. It doesn’t apply to me at all and I’m in that area. Buying directly from/at a brewery is perhaps a 1 out of 100 occurrence for me. This year, I’m going to try to buy less local product at stores. For me, buying local frequently means spending more money for less satisfying beer. It’s just hard for me to not get sucked into the notion that perhaps a new local option will be really rewarding (because they can be occasionally). Regardless, I know your shopping habits must satisfy your needs, but where you see “very little reason,” I see quality, value, convenience, and variety - which are very good reasons for how and what one purchases.

11. dhaakon

dhaakon Devotee (441) May 30, 2005 New York
    Society

I’ve had quite a few good Shelfies recently. Should be a thread for em

12. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (87) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

The problem I have with buying stuff through distribution is the retail markup here. With an unlimited Metrocard and enough friends willing to tag along to OH or Grimm every few weeks, the time/effort spent is worth saving $2-3 per can, especially if I'm looking to stock up a bit.

13. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,103) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

If fresh, I'd buy Pseudo and King Sue all the time. Would love to hear about any sightings, especially in mid-upper Manhattan.

14. njcraftfan

njcraftfan Initiate (100) Dec 18, 2016 New Jersey

not sure this is an apples to apples comparison... I'd expect TG stuff like Psuedo Sue to sell in a similar range as Half Acre stuff for example... mid to upper teens at best guess?... so buying OH and Grimm at an average of $20+ isn't saving money... now that's not to say OH and Grimm aren't better quality or deserving of the price difference though :slight_smile:.

I do think your mark-up argument applies to finding local NYC beers at retail though... much better off buying at the source for stuff like Interboro, Singlecut, Finback, KCBC, Grimm - since the limited number of places that do get it apply a decent markup..

15. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (562) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

I welcome increased diversity of shelf options (if reasonably fresh), especially from breweries with the rep of TG. I live in the NY Metro area (Suffolk County), but in a relative wasteland as far as really good, truly 'local' options go. I don't want to drive an hour (or more with traffic) to acquire beer from Other Half and the other hyped borough breweries that only do on-site sales. Sand City, while in Suffolk County, is inconvenient to get to and I'm rarely up that way coincidentally. If it weren't for Barrier, which has limited distro within the area, I'd be strictly an off-the-shelf beer drinker.

NextBestThing and Nickwierda like this.
  16. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,103) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

My problem with this kind of cost analysis is that it's a 1+ hour subway ride to OH/Grimm for me, so paying a markup, even a significant one, is more than worth it. 2-3 hours (including time drinking at the brewery) is much more valuable to me than spending a few extra bucks per can.

TongoRad likes this.
  17. tinoynk

Trader

The kicker for me is that on a Friday evening/Saturday/Sunday, going to a brewery with some friends is toward the top of the list of stuff I'd want to spend my time doing, and coming from Manhattan the longest trip is about 50 minutes to Other Half, so I find the time/effort spent to be worth it in those situations.

That's a good point, I guess with the hype they have I figured that they'd end up toward the high end price-wise, but if they're closer to the Half Acre range then that will be pretty nice.

JayORear likes this.
  18. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,648) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I'm with you there, and to me the great benefit of the scene these days is actually what's available at my circuit of shops, in terms of variety and freshness.

Mrstiffington and zid like this.
  19. rozzom

rozzom Champion (821) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Ewwww are we talking about shelf beer again. Surely that stuff is given away for free to the plebs these days

#19 rozzom, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  20. kthoag

kthoag Aspirant (295) May 21, 2012 New York
    Trader

For those whose palates are exhausted of over-oated and wheated IPAs, Psuedo Sue is an excellent APA to seek.

dagimp, Beers-es, NewmansOwn and 4 others like this.
  21. jp_4

jp_4 Initiate (38) Jan 3, 2017 New Jersey

absolutely. i'm over the lactose

Beers-es and kthoag like this.
  22. tinoynk

Trader

Pseudo Sue just popped at Clinton Gourmet Corp, $3.99/can. Not bad.

Jlabs likes this.
  23. Tallerboy

Tallerboy Initiate (93) Jun 17, 2017 New York

$8.99 a 4pack when I visit my brother in Wisconsin... Sue isn't $4 a can good.

24. tinoynk

Trader

Here in the Manhattan any remotely popular IPA in 16oz cans, especially if it's anywhere near the hazy/NE style thing, isn't getting any cheaper than that.

pinyin likes this.
  25. ROXONE

ROXONE Initiate (64) Jun 23, 2016 New York
    Trader

Happen to catch the brewed on/canned date, perchance?

26. tinoynk

Trader

Haven't laid eyes on it myself, just saw it come up on Beermenus.

27. Tallerboy

Yeah but that price point you could get a better KCBC NEIPA at whole foods... Or get cans from any of breweries in BK/QN.

Well if you're gonna buy make sure it's brewed in Iowa and not Florida, FL Sue isn't hazy.

28. Mattttt

Mattttt Initiate (58) Feb 20, 2018 New York
    Trader

wake me up when they distro assassin...

NewmansOwn and rozzom like this.
  29. rozzom

rozzom Champion (821) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Local place just tapped a keg. Sooooooo good

Seriously while I know a lot of people are thinking “too little too late” - personally I think the time between TG blowing up and distributing here has been relatively short/impressive. What like 6-7 years or so?

I mean think about Bells who we all drooled about for years and years, and then who finally started distributing at the same time OH opened and NY was building its own scene.

But (as someone who has no clue about running their own business let alone a brewery) it doesn’t seem to me like now is the best time to start expanding into other regions as a brewery. At least not highly competitive ones with solid local scenes.

30. Jlabs

Society Trader

:astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished:

31. Mattttt

Mattttt Initiate (58) Feb 20, 2018 New York
    Trader

Where?

32. jkearns33168

jkearns33168 Initiate (51) Feb 10, 2015 New Jersey

Pseudo canning date from Clinton Gourmet was 1/28/2019. Not bad.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  33. Crab_gang

Crab_gang Aspirant (248) Jun 13, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Does it say whether it was brewed in Iowa or Florida?

34. errantnight

errantnight Meyvn (1,208) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

Pssst, since they’ve started canning in Decorag, Golden Nugget is reliably the best of the three regular hoppy can options, then Pompeii. PseudoSue has been wildly inconsistent.

JayORear likes this.
  35. threedjmay

threedjmay Disciple (312) Apr 27, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Big fan of TG... they've barely started in many other major markets in last 3 months... if I lived in NY I would check dates on cans and not pay more than $10 for a Sue 4pack. Quality varies batch to batch now.. if you find something you like.. buy the same date!

hoppytobehere likes this.
  36. NyRangers94

NyRangers94 Initiate (40) Jun 8, 2017 New York

Got a pseudo sue can, great price and as good as anything you can get here in the pale ale /single ipa range. It was brewed in Iowa, I think they ended contract brewing a bit ago

Beers-es likes this.
  37. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,324) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Society Trader

38. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (562) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

Just picked up 2 cans at Clinton Gourmet. Brewed in Decorah and canned on 1/28/19. :grin:

P.S. $10 for a 4-pack of 16oz. cans...in NYC? That's a pipe dream.

Beers-es, pinyin, SammyJaxxxx and 2 others like this.
  39. Tallerboy

Paying OH prices for a tallboy named Sue.... fuhgeddaboudit!

SudsDoctor likes this.
  40. Feaor

Feaor Initiate (141) Jul 9, 2017 New York

I picked up all 4 beers being distro'd to try them, and I was hoping Dorothy would be sleeper as the larger but it legit tasted so metallic that it was undrinkable to me. Pompeii is far and away the best beer of the lot Imo and at $16 a 4pk, isn't too bad all things considered. Psudosue and Golden Nugget were worth the price but idk if I'd by them regularly.