Toppling Goliath in Chicago (2019)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by jffrson729, Jan 4, 2019.

1. jffrson729

jffrson729 Initiate (74) Mar 6, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Other TG thread is locked.

Does king sue still fly off shelves? Looking to grab a 4 pack of the latest drop for a co-workers as a surprise for her husband (his favorite beer). Just curious how the latest drop is and if I can stroll into binnys any grab a 4 pack yet.

Figure a lot of people are still trying to recover from all the stout season spending.

2. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,122) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

It doesn't fly off the shelves like it use to. You'll most likely be able to walk into a Binny's today and just grab a 4-pack with no issues. If you don't see it on shelves or in a stack somewhere on the floor, I'd ask. Some Binny's may not have gotten as much as others so they may be holding it back.

jffrson729 likes this.
  3. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Aspirant (286) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah it still flies at my Binny’s and places like The Beer Cellar. Maybe different in the city?

csmakio and jffrson729 like this.
  4. jffrson729

Trader

I’m out in west burbs. I know a smaller shop that will most likely have it but they overcharge and I’m not trying to go that route

Nbrock24 likes this.
  5. eppie82

Trader

I just went into a north burb Binny's and had to ask for the 4-pack (which they had), so you may end up having to ask.

6. ECCS

ECCS Initiate (169) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

2 or 3 cases of KS on the floor at LZ binnys

7. jffrson729

Trader

Thanks all. Stopped into the Algonquin binnys on my lunch break today and was able to grab a four pack. They had about 8 left on the shelf after I grabbed mine.

flat_lander and eppie82 like this.
  8. eppie82

Trader

Newest batch of King Sue (12/20/18) is approved. Maybe consistency is coming to fruition. The last two batches I’ve had have both been Citra forward DIPAs with solid mouthfeel. TG has certainly NE IPA-ized it though. Tropical flavor with very much opaque appearance. Only thing that’s different is it still has a hoppy, bitter bite at the end.

9. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,054) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Had my first crack at King Sue with this batch, really liked it. Was sweet as you mentioned, but the hoppy bitter balance resulted in this being an excellent beer for me. Going to try Speed of Sound by Pipeworks to close out the NE IPA run to start the year (M-43 and SOSUS being the other two). Keep going with the great recommendations in the Great Lakes forum and enjoying the ride.

galos11 and eppie82 like this.
  10. eppie82

Trader

I realize it is not TG in Chicago, but it's TG so what the hell.

croush likes this.
  11. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (204) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois

We should have a pool to guess the cost per ounce.

Number1Framer likes this.
  12. weirdalchy

weirdalchy Initiate (96) Jan 23, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

We should have a pool to guess the % of people that complain about the cost, but still enter the lottery.

13. Minipork

Minipork Initiate (145) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

I had Sous a few weeks ago on draft and loved. I got a can of it yesterday and it was rather awful (over carbonated and bitter but not in a good way). I'm going to a work party tomorrow and they have it on draft. Guess I will try it again.

14. Acschoen

Acschoen Initiate (64) Jan 22, 2015 Illinois

Had a can of Psuedo Sue dated mid December that was as bad as any can from Florida. Haven't picked this beer up in a while, cause I never see it anywhere near fresh, and this will be the last time. Its a real shame cause at 10/4 pack it should be a go to.

dukeandduke likes this.
  15. ChiPez66

ChiPez66 Initiate (73) May 21, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

I had this about 5 days after the canning date, and it was great. Only drop I've had issues with was one back during the summer, where it got very snow globey, but still tasted fine.

16. Acschoen

Acschoen Initiate (64) Jan 22, 2015 Illinois

It was snow globey and just not good.

17. ChiPez66

Trader

Yeah, seems to happen with that particular beer after a few weeks in the fridge for whatever reason. Not sure why. I only buy it when I see it within a week of the canning date, and know I'll drink the 4 pack within a couple days, just for that reason. The last 4 pack was bought within a few days of the December drop, but I had finished it within about 10 days.

18. Jplachy

Jplachy Disciple (301) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois

Been seeing it on tap a lot lately and its just so fucking good when its on point.

19. ChiPez66

Trader

Easily a top 3 pale ale for me, when fresh.

20. csmakio

csmakio Initiate (116) Nov 26, 2016 Illinois

fresh batch of fire skulls & money cans just dropped, canned 1/3/19.

supa sumo is also in bombers, passed on that dude.

Nachos4two likes this.
  21. flat_lander

flat_lander Devotee (446) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Ditto. Bottled 12/31/18.

PhilBallins likes this.
  22. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Initiate (190) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

Bottled last year? Still sending us that old shit smh

23. odcardinal

odcardinal Initiate (173) Apr 12, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Supa Sumo was great. Wish there was some consistency with the cans. Or cans not brewed in October or November on shelves near me. Sosus was a huge miss for me. For a time I thought it was the Florida water that was ruining the cans. Now I have no clue why they can’t brew a consistent IPA or DIPA.

eppie82 likes this.