Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Toppling Goliath Pseudo Sue Freshness Issues

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by ssimpson89, Oct 7, 2017.

1. errantnight

errantnight Meyvn (1,081) Jul 7, 2005 Iowa
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Don't dare bring this up to TG who will straight yell at you about how four month old IPAs are indistinguishable to fresh ones.

2. errantnight

errantnight Meyvn (1,081) Jul 7, 2005 Iowa
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm still not over being flabbergasted by the lack of love for the last DDH Sue bottling and now I have to be flabbergasted at the love for the latest Hopsmack bottling.

BrettHead likes this.
  3. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (3,393) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I am totally non plussed by your comment.

BrettHead and errantnight like this.
  4. SinBoldly

SinBoldly Initiate (33) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

An interesting comparison in the Chicago area would be a beer that PS is often compared to; Zombie Dust. The contrast in distribution strategy (and success thereof) is striking. Granted, I know proximity of brewing location plays a role here, but:

Brewery A
    - opts to flood the market with large volumes of their famous pale ale (that is often a month old before it hits the shelf) and, due to various reasons discussed in this thread, tends to sit on shelves thus getting older still which results in hurting the brand because informed folks know it's old and refuse to buy it, while uniformed folks pick one up at the grocery store and think it's not great and wonder what all the hype was about.

Brewery B
    - tends to deliver smaller fresher quantities of their famous pale ale every Tuesday, which are typically gone by Thursday at the latest, resulting in informed folks being able to get fresh beer in a market that (because of quantity/quality of local breweries) demands fresh beer, while uninformed folks not knowing the difference still think "hey, this beer is really good".

Brewery A's beer takes a hit to it's reputation. Brewery B's beer may not have the reputation it once had but that's due to stiffer competition (always a good thing!), not bad strategic decisions.

Both methods have all but eliminated truck chasing.

5. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Defender (660) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Agree on the impact in this market, however 3F's home market has always been Chicago since it's basically in a suburb and less than an hour away from downtown, whereas TGB is just now entering the city and is over 5 hours away.

6. WIexile

WIexile Initiate (123) Jul 20, 2017 Michigan

Finally able to grab the latest of Pompeii... Not bad. NO date of coarse, but can tell this has some age on it. Wondering how it would of tasted a few weeks ago.

On to Sue can news. Sounds like the first batch of Sue is ready to be canned this week. Keep an eye out in two months for the first drop....

BigIslandfarmer likes this.
  7. northofdsm

northofdsm Initiate (145) Aug 27, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I assume distributors will hold all new Decorah cans until June Florida cans are sold......

8. MNAle

MNAle Champion (839) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

So, you think TG believes they have damaged their brand with the FL contract brewing?

If not, why would they do such a thing? It would be logistically difficult and would result in shortages in many markets.

9. LittleGus

LittleGus Initiate (152) Mar 13, 2008 Minnesota

Last time I had Sucks it was five months old. And that will be the last time I will have had Sucks.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.