Toppling Goliath

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by MVP09, Jan 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

Do Pseudo Sue cans make distro to WI?

2. Jinnis15

Jinnis15 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2015 Illinois

They are all over SE Wisco

3. ratwheels

ratwheels Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2011 Illinois

I picked some up at the Mars Cheese Castle last weekend.

4. Jinnis15

Jinnis15 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2015 Illinois

Mars was pulling the old you have to buy this to get this trick though...

dogbert617 and Born_A_Jee like this.
  5. aussiebeer

aussiebeer Devotee (450) Oct 23, 2013 Illinois

Picked up some day before NYE at Tenuta's in Kenosha

6. CMLinder

CMLinder Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2015 Wisconsin

In Madison, several grocery store's liquor departments received several cases within the last week. Though, if you're looking to trade for some, keep in mind that the temperatures in the midwest are probably too cold to safely ship (unless packed in a styro shipper, and, even with that, I'd still be wary of the recipient finding PseudoSlushies).

7. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,092) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah, they make it pretty far south, as I've been able to grab 'em not too far from the WI/IL border. With that being said, they weren't incredibly fresh (within the month), despite having arrived at the store 3 days before I picked them up.

8. Acschoen

Acschoen Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2015 Illinois

Any way to keep posted on Toppling Goliath hitting Wisco stores? Any store that posts on fb or beer menus?

9. ratwheels

Yep, they were. Very annoying. And the cans aren't the freshest. Still good though. I checked Tenuta's and all they had was Golden Nugget.

10. robear

robear Initiate (0) May 24, 2014 Wisconsin

They've done a good job keeping the quality up while increasing distribution here. Hoping we'll see more kegs if they sign e a distributor.

11. Minipork

Minipork Initiate (153) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

Worst place to buy beer in the Midwest

12. ratwheels

I won't disagree. But it's the closest place to the city that had PseudoSue and I needed some for a trade.

13. Barnoloid

Barnoloid Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2015 Illinois

I got suckered into the Mars deal too! Held behind the counter - was in two minds but went for it. Ended up with a four pack of golden nugget from August as part of the 'deal'. Woukd have gone to woodmans but was with friends that wanted to go to the castle. Ah well

14. ratwheels

Does Woodmans carry TG?

15. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

How is it tasting?

16. Barnoloid

Barnoloid Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2015 Illinois

I'm honestly not sure as I only venture into WI a couple times a year, and only once since I heard TG was distroing south of Madison. But Woodmans was where I was planning to go just for a general beer stop.

17. dynamiteBEN86

dynamiteBEN86 Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2015 Wisconsin

I'm pretty sure Woodman's doesn't carry TG. You should be able to find it at most Sendik's though.

Bshaw22 and ratwheels like this.
  18. ratwheels

Awesome, thanks. I'm heading up to Only Child Brewing in Gurnee tomorrow and figure since I'm going to be more than halfway to Wisconsin, I might as well head up and try to grab more TG.

19. djhowell

djhowell Disciple (341) Apr 1, 2009 Wisconsin

Not much consistency in batches from these 16oz cans so far. The latest January-dated cans pale in comparison to the previous batch IMO.

20. OBD

OBD Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2014 Wisconsin

Agree with this. In Madison at least, neither east nor west Woodmans carries TG.

My 1/5/16 cans taste great. I've felt like every batch of cans that I've bought so far have been consistent. You pretty sure it didn't have to do with something else you were recently/currently eating? I tend to think that's where a lot of people pick up onion/catpiss or just plain weak citra notes, assuming they're drinking reasonably fresh gear.

So nice to be able to get Sue and Nugget so often (and so cheap, comparatively) these days...

21. AstraXtreme

AstraXtreme Initiate (116) Mar 21, 2014 Wisconsin

I was at Discount in south MKE yesterday and they had a sweet deal on TG stuff.
    I definitely agree with that. I popped a new can last night and felt like it was quite a bit more citrusy and juicy than I remember it being from the bottles. Though it has been a while since the bottles, but nonetheless it was great. I had a fresh Zombie Dust directly after it, and without a question Pseudo is the more flavorful beer.

22. DonDonson

DonDonson Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2006 Wisconsin

Another option is Tenuta's in Kenosha, you would get off I94 on highway 158 head east about 6 miles into town. They carry TG without the "rules" that Mars does. I stay as far away from Mars as possible. You can also get plenty of Black Husky thee which you cannot get at Mars or Woodmans.

capnmike and KCUnited like this.
  23. ratwheels

I went there last time and all they had was old Golden Nugget. Do they typically carry other brews by TG?

24. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,776) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

They did for a while, but all of a sudden stopped this winter. They had the best price on Sue...

25. DonDonson

DonDonson Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2006 Wisconsin

They carry others, I stopped in yesterday and they had Rover Truck and Golden Nugget, but they have carried Light Speed Pompeii, Dorothy, XHOPS, as well as others I have not included. I spoke with the beer guy yesterday and he stated he is getting a delivery Monday, he expects to get PsuedoSue. I bought a 4 pack of Central Waters BBW, will go back on Monday to see what comes in. Also, they had plenty of Karben4 FantasyFactory.

26. Schmizer

Schmizer Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2015 Wisconsin

We got it in GB this week!

Wolfeman1704 likes this.
  27. ratwheels

Thanks for the Sendik's tip. I went up there yesterday and they had shelves full at $8.99. A friend and I each bought a case worth. Coming from Chicago, it's unreal to get beer that good for that price. Daisy Cutter is more expensive.

dynamiteBEN86 and AstraXtreme like this.
  28. dynamiteBEN86

dynamiteBEN86 Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2015 Wisconsin

Right on, glad you were able to land a few!

docoman likes this.
  29. jbecke2

jbecke2 Initiate (150) Oct 22, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Which Sedniks did you go to?

30. ratwheels

We went to the one in Franklin. It is the closest one to the Illinois border, I believe.

jbecke2 likes this.
  31. jlsims04

jlsims04 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois

Bought a case in Lake Genva NYE. All over the place.

32. CityFarmer

CityFarmer Initiate (161) Mar 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Picked up a 4 of sue at a hyvee in D-port yesterday. $9.99...what a value.

Are these cans being brewed down in Florida? I remember them starting to contract brew there early last year....haven't kept up to know if anything has changed. The 12/28 canning date makes me think it's for sure from Florida but wanted to confirm.

eppie82 likes this.
  33. djhowell

djhowell Disciple (341) Apr 1, 2009 Wisconsin

Yes, brewed in Florida. In WI we tend to get them in stores 5-7 days after canning date typically.

34. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,776) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

All the cans are from FL. Bombers from IA.

35. JTEXTREME

JTEXTREME Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2013 Wisconsin

The new Lakeland cans are a giant disappointment. Sue lost all its character. Not buying again.

Brocklanders34 likes this.
  36. bound4er

bound4er Crusader (761) Jul 4, 2007 Wisconsin

That's interesting. I reviewed this a little over a year ago from a 12 oz bottle and hated it. Decided to try it recently from the new 16 oz can and I love it. Opinions on this brewery really seem to run the gamut.

Bshaw22 likes this.
  37. SundayMorninCominDown

SundayMorninCominDown Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2015 Wisconsin

I'd have to agree, though I can only speak to the formatting/location differences for Pseudo Sue and not Golden Nugget, 1492, etc. The 16 oz cans I've had recently were definitely better than the 12 oz bottles when the Florida production first began and neither were on the same level as the Iowa bombers, but I remain optimistic about their contract brewing.

38. will1256

will1256 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2010 Minnesota

Any IA Sue or xhops bombers around in Madison?

39. chazmcbro

chazmcbro Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2010 Wisconsin

It's been a reeeeeeallly long time since Sue bombers were delivered in Madison. You probably wouldn't want one even if it did exist.

Bshaw22, mykey120, s_wit and 2 others like this.
  40. SundayMorninCominDown

SundayMorninCominDown Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2015 Wisconsin

You should be able to find Xhops gold and possibly other older ones (if you're still curious) at Liquor Central in the Dells if you're heading that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.