Toppling Goliath

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by MVP09, Jan 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. will1256

will1256 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2010 Minnesota

Nice, thanks!

2. kkleu357

kkleu357 Crusader (770) Apr 2, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

The Showboat in the Dells got a fresh keg of Decorah PseudoSue. Happened to be in the Dells this weekend and stopped in. Man did I forget how good that stuff really is. I think it's been over a year since I had real PseudoSue. I'd pay $10 for a Decorah bomber before spending $10 for a Florida 4 pack. Completely different beers.

scjohnsonwax likes this.
  3. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,092) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Not that I'm saying you're lying, but it seems pretty strange that TG would have their stuff brewed in Florida and then shipped back to Iowa for distribution there, if it's not up to their standards. Isn't it possible you're just having fresher PsuedoSue on tap?

4. croush

croush Crusader (798) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Has anyone ever done a blind side by side tasting of the Iowa vs. Florida brewed stuff? I hear lots of opinions about the Florida stuff not being up to the level of Iowa stuff, but I typically think of those opinions as similar to people who say a beer used to be better a couple years ago. I could be totally wrong, so I wondered if anyone has done some blind tasting of the two.

bradner likes this.
  5. kkleu357

kkleu357 Crusader (770) Apr 2, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

Yes, the cans are brewed in Florida. Kegs brewed in Decorah.

I thought this was me. I've only had 4 pack bottles and cans for the last year or so and thought maybe it was just me thinking the old days of Sue was better.

I can tell you for sure the stuff I had on tap was far better than the cans I had from this last can release. The tap Sue/old bombers is probably my favorite APA ever.

summy670x, Bshaw22 and jRocco2021 like this.
  6. croush

Trader

For packaged sales, is it only the cans now? No more bombers brewed in Decorah? If that's the case, I guess you can't do a side by side anymore.

I only had it from 12 oz bottles once, sometime last year, which I think were brewed in Florida. I thought it was really good, and something I'd want more of. I never had the chance to taste the Decorah bottles, and if it is kegs only from there now, I doubt I will get to (at least not anytime soon).

7. Kjcobus

Kjcobus Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2014 Wisconsin

Second what kkleu357 said. Also had some at Showboat and it's a completely different beer. The cans/bottles from Florida are completely filtered, bitter, and have weak hop aroma/fruityness. I've had 7 day old bottles/cans and its just bad. The keg however was a little cloudy, had a great aroma, and had the nice fruity and hoppy flavor it used to when it was decorah bombers.

Cans/bottles have gone the way of a shelf/mass distributed macro pale ale flavor it seems.

kkleu357 likes this.
  8. SeanBond

Trader

Sorry, I worded my post ambiguously. I know the cans are from Florida, I was mostly saying that it seems strange that TG would be okay with that setup (seeing as those cans make it back to Iowa, Wisconsin, etc.) if the cans are truly that much different from the beer on tap/in a bomber. I would think they'd at least want Iowa to have their "best" stuff, even in cans.

Then again, this reminds me a lot of people's feelings about Zombie Dust. I hear people say after a few weeks it's just ordinary, whereas within a week or maybe two, it's phenomenal. I don't find it amazing either way, so I can't say I share the feeling, but it might be along those lines.

kkleu357, Kjcobus and croush like this.
  9. Hendrick24

Hendrick24 Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2013 Wisconsin

I usually stay out of these types of discussions as they are mostly as you describe, people remembering the beer differently, palates changing, etc. but in this case, IA Sue vs FL Sue are most certainly two very different beers. I've had Sue from countless IA batches both in bottle and on draft, as well as from the FL bottles and now cans, and there is a very clear difference between the two, in look, aroma, flavor and mouthfeel.

As for ZD, I've been picking up bottles every now and then for the last 3 years and it always tastes basically the same at the same age, and any differences I note are small enough to almost certainly be on my end.

kkleu357 likes this.
  10. SeanBond

Trader

I appreciate the insight. I wasn't really trying to cast doubt upon people's experiences, I mostly just think it's very strange that TG would essentially have two different beers under the same name. I'd be curious to give this cloudier PS a try, since I think the canned version is a very good (but overrated) citra beer.

I guess this brings up another question or two, then:
    1) Is it just cans that come out of FL, or do their 6-packs as well?

2) Is it just PS that suffers from this quality drop, or do their other beers also pale (no pun intended) in comparison in distribution?

11. croush

Trader

Has anyone inquired with TG on the difference in taste? Maybe it's been discussed before, but I'd be curious to know if they recognize the difference between the two, or acknowledge that they are continuing to tweak the FL recipe.

12. mykey120

mykey120 Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2012 Wisconsin

Im pretty sure only the bombers are from Decorah and all 4/6 packs are from FL. Id assume all kegs are from Decorah as well, but that's just a guess.

13. Hendrick24

Hendrick24 Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2013 Wisconsin

They have acknowledged it in the sense that they've made a reference or two to continuing to work on dialing in the FL products, a comment which only makes sense if they recognize a difference between the two.

I'm fairly confident they'll get it dialed in at some point, just hoping it's soon, I miss OG Sue! Poor me I'll just have to drink Pompeii, Zeelander, et al in the meantime :wink:

jRocco2021, SeanBond and mykey120 like this.
  14. croush

Trader

Good info - thanks for filling me in. I'd agree that if they acknowledge dialing in on the recipe, that they recognize a difference.

Regardless, I liked the PS I had in bottle from FL last year, so if I'm in WI, I plan on looking for some (and Pompeii, which was great).

15. brentk56

brentk56 Poo-Bah (10,528) May 13, 2004 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I drain poured a one month old can of Pseudo Sue last night. Have had Pseudo Sue before, in the bottle, and loved it. Not sure whether I got a can from a bad batch but it was very disappointing.

16. Brother_Love

Brother_Love Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2015 Illinois

I am heading to Sendik's in Whitefish Bay, WI and wanted to find out if anyone knows of any TG is stocked at that store.

17. SeanBond

Trader

That sounds like a bad batch; I just had a can from the middle of Dec. last week, and it still tasted great. I haven't had the bomber/on tap stuff though, so take that with a grain of salt.

18. TrapJaw77

TrapJaw77 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2015 Illinois

Funny to see how many people see such a difference in Iowa vs. Florida PS. I had it on draft at the TG taproom in June. Then later that night had a bottle of one that I purchased at a shop in Decorah (bottled in FL). I couldn't have told them apart.

Perhaps a side by side at the exact time would do the trick, but maybe not.

19. core42

core42 Zealot (531) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

I thought that I read somewhere that TG quit having Pseudo brewed in Florida, that they do it all in IA now but I honestly can't find where I saw it

20. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

@Hendrick24 @kkleu357
    I just want to echo what these guys have said was buying and drinking pseudo sue before distributed to MKE I even had a case of bombers before they changed to the current label. The funny thing is I bought a case of 4 packs when they first started to hit my area (July?) thought it was awesome not exactly the same but so close as makes no difference, then it just kinda disappeared. Come January I get a 4 pack of cans and was less than impressed that Pseudo Sue goodness was not what I received.

I'm not saying I'm an expert but at the same time I dont see how my brain could alter my preception of a beer that much. I've had beers where they significantly changed the recipe and the difference wasn't even this significant. I'll concede my memory and perception are probably exacerbating the effect but its also clearly not just me. So Idk what's going on, especially since its something I've tried in basically every iteration its been available in (bombers, 4 packs, kegs, cans) for the past few years. There's got to be something more to this than just a distorted memory.

PS now that I'm thinking about it I also noticed this with golden nugget too. Though the opposite is true I actually like the 4 packs I've had better than the Bombers or drafts I've had.

#60 jRocco2021, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  21. Born_A_Jee

Born_A_Jee Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois

Mars Cheese Castle is still selling that Golden Nugget from the August batch. Friends and I stopped in coming back from Central Waters Sunday and they bought a sixer each but forgot to check the date on them. (D'oh!)
    Mars also told us you had to buy a "case" that included Dorothy and I think some other beers along with a sixer of Sue in it. Thank goodness we didn't. The Psuedo was probably old as shit, too.

Barnoloid likes this.
  22. Jinnis15

Jinnis15 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2015 Illinois

They keep doing that. It's all old. It's a real bummer that they do this because it's s very convienent location right off the highway.

23. Swannyku

Swannyku Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2015 Wisconsin

Has there been any talk of giving the xhops gold a permanent name and releasing more one day?

MadUnvi likes this.
  24. MadUnvi

MadUnvi Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2015 Wisconsin

I really hope so cause it was amazing. Right up there with Pseudo and Pompeii for me. Haven't had King or Sosus, but comparing single IPAs/APAs, it's among the best they've made.

25. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

I could care less about Sue. Give me ZeeLander. Pompeii, and XH Gold all day long.

Bshaw22 likes this.
  26. robear

robear Initiate (0) May 24, 2014 Wisconsin

I can't believe that Pompeii has become something of a shelf sitter at Discount. 2 month old bottles. Still taste alright, but why wasn't this stuff bought up faster? It's a better beer than pseudo, especially for hop heads.

27. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2007 Wisconsin

I'm not a fan of Mosaic hop beers so I will disagree with your statement greatly!! :slight_smile: King Sue and Pseudo by a mile for me over Sosus and Pompeii. Guess that's why they sell both!!

robear likes this.
  28. Bshaw22

Bshaw22 Champion (815) Aug 29, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

This is correct.

mykey120 likes this.
  29. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

Is this weeks batch of Pompeii coming to Madison, WI?

30. Vizualize

Vizualize Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 New York

Cigar City started sending Jai Alai to Brewhub to increase distro and that beer is a shadow of its former self. Im starting to think Brewhub is where beers go to get watered down and scaled up up for mass consumption. The brewers know the beer doesn't taste the same but they're cashing in on a brand. Craft Beer 2016!

twb0392 likes this.
  31. Swannyku

What's the best shop in the dells to look for some bombers and cans?

32. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (6,029) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Society Trader

Try Liquor Central.

djhowell likes this.
  33. djhowell

djhowell Disciple (332) Apr 1, 2009 Wisconsin

yep, and go to Showboat Saloon for cheap craft beer, wings, and pizza.

robear likes this.
  34. VinHalen54

VinHalen54 Initiate (140) Jun 4, 2014 Illinois

Yep, start at Liquor Central, head north to Viking, then end at Showboat. OR - start at Showboat, then to Viking and to Liquor Central...I recommend going back to Showboat at 9pm for all-you-can-eat Bacon!!!

35. Swannyku

Thanks everyone for the info

36. ratwheels

ratwheels Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2011 Illinois

Anyone near Milwaukee or the Illinois/Wisconsin border grab any of the new batch of Pompeii?

37. OBD

OBD Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2014 Wisconsin

For anyone who still thinks Sue and Nugget are pretty great beers for the price point....

East Woodmans in Madison has a huge stack of 4packs, everything priced @ $8.49. The Sue is dated 1/29/16.

s_wit and stevegoz like this.
  38. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Aspirant (208) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

Same at West Madison Woodman's - plenty of Nugget, Dorothy and Rover 4 packs and bottles of Light Speed. Only 2 4 packs of Sue remaining.

39. Swannyku

Looks like new cans of Sue dated 2/11 are hitting the Milwaukee area.

jimmyfishkin likes this.
  40. Swannyku

Looks like more xhops gold is being produced. Hopefully it hits distro. Might be my favorite hoppy beer TG makes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.